Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Wenger 25 man squad concern

Read 2272 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Wenger 25 man squad concern
      Aug 18, 2010 11:59:27 am
      Wenger fear over Fifa rules
      Frenchman concerned that players will call on the courts
      Source ssn

Last updated: 18th August 2010  

Wenger: Criticism for Fifa

Do not forget that somebody did not think in England that, if you play less than 10 per cent of games in a season, under Fifa rules you can get rid of your contract.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger fears that a new rule governing the inclusion of home-grown talent in the Premier League has offered fringe players the opportunity to use the courts to terminate their contracts.

The Gunners manager has highlighted section 15 of the Fifa 'Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players' when criticising a quota system that has been imposed on top-flight clubs.

Premier League sides now have to name a 25-man squad with a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players, leaving managers with difficult decisions to make regarding their selections.

A clause in the rule states that players who have featured in less than 10 per cent of 'the official matches in which his club has been involved may terminate his contract prematurely on the ground of sporting just cause'.

Wenger believes this could lead to unrest as players will be able to use the courts to make decisions and rip up their agreements with clubs after the possible payment of compensation.

"The players have already integrated into their way of thinking that a club can only give 25 names to the Premier League," the Frenchman told Arsenal's official website ahead of Sunday's 1-1 draw at Liverpool.

Money

"They already think, 'if I am not in the 25 I can retire, or go here, or go there, or I go to court', that can happen as well.

"Do not forget that somebody did not think in England that, if you play less than 10 per cent of games in a season, under Fifa rules you can get rid of your contract.

"I would like to know, when they voted for that in the Premier League, if they knew this rule.

"If you have not played more than 10 per cent of games, you can get in front of a Fifa committee that then decides how much money you have to pay to buy out your contract. That is a rule.

"If players are paid for playing and you do not give them the chance to play they can go to court and ask for that money from you because they never had that chance to play. If you are not even in the 25, how can you play?"

Section 15 also states that 'a professional may only terminate his contract on this basis in the 15 days following the last official match of the season of the club with which he is registered'

Citeh could be about to lose their b@ll@cks on a lot of players if this is true.
      We barely have enough players to fill the quota anyway.
      Contrasting complaints...
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Wenger 25 man squad concern
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2010 01:27:39 pm
      It's kind of understandable though that if you're not in the first 25 squad, then you should be allowed to leave. The 10% rule seems a bit trickier, but you could easily get to that with just the cup games? I think it's a way to prevent clubs like Man C from selecting players just because they're homegrown, while they'll never play a game for them. Might be hard to meet those demands right now for some clubs, but that's because its a transition period. However, I fear it will inflate the prices of good homegrown players even more.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2010 01:57:57 pm
      Who is Citeh?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2010 06:55:44 pm
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #4: Aug 19, 2010 07:19:12 am

Oh so that guy is a manc then? apologies  :-[
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #5: Aug 19, 2010 08:02:26 am
      How typical.

A moaning Frenchman.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #6: Aug 19, 2010 08:06:42 am
      Am I the only one who is bloody sick of Arsene W**ker. He does my head in. Its all about the lie's and moaning for him. Not denying he is a good manager but I could take a fecking hammer to his head! Arghhh >:(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Aug 19, 2010 08:52:02 am
      Oh so that guy is a manc then? apologies  :-[
      It's an article with Arsene Wenger, but it just made me think...
      With Citeh having such a large amount of expensive signings on their books, they can't all be in the 25 man squad. Surely it wouldn't be too far fetch to see some of them attempt to terminate their contracts, using this clause, if they are left out of the squad. If that succeeds then Citeh lose players, that they shelled out large sums of money on, for f**k all.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Aug 19, 2010 09:04:15 am
      To be absolutely fair to Wenger, it is a F***ing ridiculous rule. 

A rule which will see the quality of the league in general decrease in the short term. English players aren't that good. I'll agree that, in theory, I can see the long term benefits, but the loopholes in the rules means that half of the players who will be classed as homegrown won't be elligible to play for England anyway. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Aug 19, 2010 09:06:25 am
      To be absolutely fair to Wenger, it is a f**king ridiculous rule. 

A rule which will see the quality of the league in general decrease in the short term. English players aren't that good. I'll agree that, in theory, I can see the long term benefits, but the loopholes in the rules means that half of the players who will be classed as homegrown won't be elligible to play for England anyway. 
      Unless Pacheco never gets a game for Spain and stays in England for seven years... Oh well guess that wont happen
      Kadikoy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #10: Sep 03, 2010 04:46:21 am
      the best french team in the world : arse-nal fc
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #11: Sep 04, 2010 08:28:10 am
      Am I the only one who is bloody sick of Arsene W**ker. He does my head in. Its all about the lie's and moaning for him. Not denying he is a good manager but I could take a fecking hammer to his head! Arghhh >:(

:lmao:

Quick Reply