Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (6.3%)
      Sotis Kyrgiakos
      (43%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (2.5%)
      Martin Kelly
      (6.3%)
      Ryan Babel
      (8.9%)
      Joe Cole
      (7.6%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (25.3%)

Liverpool 1-0 Trabzonspor: In-game and post match moan

Read 43525 times
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Trabzonspor: In-game and post match moan
      Reply #437: Aug 19, 2010 11:09:48 pm
      OVERALL POSITIVE

I'm pleased that a squad missing half the team that played against Arsenal can win a European game.  Pity that Poulsen's goal was wrongly disallowed - at 2-0 it would have been SO MUCH BETTER [but really should have been more].

Good that more of the squad got to play. It will be a long season and we need other players to step up when called upon as substitutes or if our big names get injuries:
      1. Reina - good
      2.Carra, Soto and Kelly - solid.  Aurelio's lack of matches showed but again, he needed a game
      3. Lucas - ok game.  Poulsen - awful first half with lots of stray passes but was in a good flow by the end. 
      4.  Maxi - good, lively.  Jova - immense play, good link ups and runs but should have perhaps scored.  Cole was lively but without a Gerrard behind him in midfield (instead of Lucas and Poulsen) he couldnt impose himself as much and found himself with his back to goal alot - that said, his assist for the goal was great. 
      5. Felt that had Acquilani been on the bench, he should have been brought on to play in the hole.  Wanted to see Pecheco brought on at the end too.
      6. Babel - clinical finish but build-up play and aerial ability as a long striker needs working on.  With some work, he can take the role of striker on.  Torres is back.  Ngog is growing all the time.

We got a result and have the likes of Gerrard, Skrtel and Kuyt fresh for the Man City game.  The Premiership has to be the priority so whilst it wasnt the best of games tonight, I am happy that we are coming away with a result. 
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #438: Aug 19, 2010 11:12:11 pm
      That was a tricky tie to be fair.

Take nothing away from them, they were a decent side and held the ball up well. But our first half performance was honestly woeful, we definetly needed that goal before half time. Im not a fan of Babel, and he didn't play well, but I could hardly lay most of the blame on him. Lucas and Poulsen probably passed the ball forwards 10 times during the whole match between them, Maxi seemed to nip for a coffee half way through the first half and Milan and Cole were just so isolated it was cringe worthy.

First 10 minutes of the second half were alot better, Torres seemed to inject a bit more in to us and after that we seemed to settle back down, at times it was just so slow it was scary.

Was in the Kop tonight and it was abit morbid, it was so quiet at some points you could of heard a cockroach fart. But either way, its a UEFA cup qualifier and the first half performance was hardly inspiring so I wouldn'y expect the place to be buzzing.

Soto played well, Poulsen needs time (Cant expect him to come in to a team and start controling the game) and Aurelio should of been at the gym because he looks 2 yards short. Was a better second half but will be a tricky tie over there, we should of made the second leg a formality but thats the way it goes.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #439: Aug 19, 2010 11:13:09 pm
      Didn't see the match unfortunately, so i am just reading over and seeing it was a little frustrating. But after last season, a F***ing win is a win and i'll take it every time. Hopefully Roy learnt more about this team and can use it accordingly in the return leg when we smash them ;)

Looked up the goal online though - F***ing quality ball by Cole, good strike by Babel. I guess if any positive is to come out of Cole being out of the league for 3 games (barrel scraping here) then it is the fact he will be right F***ing up for the return leg, as he probably was today. I'm liking him! Overrated leeboy?! I whole-heartedly disagree. He will be fantastic for us.

EDIT: Poulsen had a goal disallowed i see - what happened there? F***ing 2-0 would have looked a lot better. Ah well, screwed over again. What's new eh?
      Parandroid
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts | -2 
      Reply #440: Aug 19, 2010 11:13:12 pm
      hi there:F I am here as I promised. well this was terrible match for Trabzon.Our top 3 best players had to be out for some reason but anyway we were so bad and you deserve to win this match.Congratulations!.Your goal was very unlucky for us.The ball hit the behind of our player and find itself infront of Joe Cole....Next match will be harder for both team but Trabzon will  be playing better with its talented offensive players.By the way;wingers of your team dont deserve the wear Liverpool shirts.And striker is always alone.I had expected more attacking football from Liverpool.You need a balanced midfielder,and serious wingers,and maybe stronger players in midfield.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,945 posts | 287 
      Reply #441: Aug 19, 2010 11:18:10 pm
      Cant believe some of the neg comments. The whole point of this game was to rest other players and get a result as Mondays the big game. Ok we were off pace in first half but if we'd taken a few chances we'd have been 3-0 up. How come Nando didnt take pen I dont know. Cant wait to see him started for the season. Hes got such a Killer touch and with his first effort proves he cant wait to be playin 90 mins.
      Jova is a beast, so much passion, will be a great signing. Cole has a wicked eye for the game, can see him getting so many assists this season but def needs to crack up the converted chances as dont hink he'll get as many as stevie in that position.
      Poulson was slow, picked up as game went on but still def a while off top prem standard in my opinion. I think i counted 2 forward passes from him all game.
      Lucas has completelly suprised me and developed into a great young player with alot of potential. Look at all the other defensive midfielders and they all have 5 years on him. Never though id be backing him - well done mate. Kelly another one im looking forward to see develop.
      Cant believe some of the aqua comments, Im sorry but ive seen him play this season and was not impressed - i was becoming a fan towards end of last season. Ok ts still early days in the season but his passing was not up to the alonso standard i was expecting and i just think hes going to get trashed in the prem. If i was woy id have him bulking up straight away, seen him go to ground on so many challanges and needs to realise hes in the best league in the world.

Overall was dissapointed with performance as first half was cringing but still confident as we'll def get an away goal and they need 3. Not a chance. Cant wait to see the boys in RL for the fist time this season on Mon :) - hopefully lot stronger line up too.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,672 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #442: Aug 19, 2010 11:19:00 pm
      BigV. Keeper spilled the ball and Poulson pounced to score. Ref gave a free out. Not a free. If anything Poulson might have been a fraction offside but the ref got it wrong. He was terrible. Broke up alot of Liverpool breaks by calling them back rather than playing advantage
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #443: Aug 19, 2010 11:22:01 pm
      Seems nothing has changed from last season! >:(

Even under Rafa we had catastrophic own goals (against Arsenal), so many missed chances, unused subs that could of changed the game (Pacheco!), two defensive midfielders, playing the ball around the back for about half an hour, ridiculous ref decisions. It's just a F***ing mare. Someone out there give us a break!

I have faith in the lads to get the job done, it's the extra travel and the lack of a 5 goal cushion we should of had that i think may hurt us.
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #444: Aug 19, 2010 11:29:33 pm
      Cant believe some of the neg comments. The whole point of this game was to rest other players and get a result as Mondays the big game.

Completely agree. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,672 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #445: Aug 19, 2010 11:30:13 pm
      Trabzonspors fans were in great voice tonight. Reckon if nothing else the return leg will have an electric atmosphere
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #446: Aug 19, 2010 11:34:35 pm
      BigV. Keeper spilled the ball and Poulson pounced to score. Ref gave a free out. Not a free. If anything Poulson might have been a fraction offside but the ref got it wrong. He was terrible. Broke up alot of Liverpool breaks by calling them back rather than playing advantage

Cheers for that mate. Sounds like it was Atkinson again then? Bloody sick of our games being ruined by inept refereeing. Even after watching the Arsenal game again, i have seen the likes of Chamakh half interfering with Reina before us conceding called before. Just never for us eh :roll:

But hey, we got the W. Let's just roll on with it in Turkey!

Seems nothing has changed from last season! >:(

Even under Rafa we had catastrophic own goals (against Arsenal), so many missed chances, unused subs that could of changed the game (Pacheco!), two defensive midfielders, playing the ball around the back for about half an hour, ridiculous ref decisions. It's just a f**king mare. Someone out there give us a break!

I have faith in the lads to get the job done, it's the extra travel and the lack of a 5 goal cushion we should of had that I think may hurt us.

And who played a roll in both own goals against Arsenal? *cue corbally storming in*

;)

I know what you mean though mate. I think regardless of manager, we still have the luck issues, and the fact we are Liverpool often deems us to bad luck with referees (i know other fans will say it's sour grapes, but i truly believe we get more sh*t decisions)
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #447: Aug 19, 2010 11:49:02 pm
      I know what you mean though mate. I think regardless of manager, we still have the luck issues, and the fact we are Liverpool often deems us to bad luck with referees (I know other fans will say it's sour grapes, but I truly believe we get more sh*t decisions)

Yeh, what is it with our luck in games and with referees? Seems like the only thing we havent shaken off from last year.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #448: Aug 19, 2010 11:49:10 pm
      Cant believe posters are having a go at Poulsen and how we would have been better with Masc or Aqua, have I missed something here, was'nt it Poulsens debut, I'm sure it was only the first time he has played this season, and I'm sure with Babel up front looking like a fish out of water until his goal, yes we were off pace first half, but there was another 9 outfield players there aswell, we were slow, lacked pace, cohesion, passed irratically, Cole playing too deep, Trabzonspor played in and around us and were a tad better IMO, second half was much better, we upped the pace and immediately Torres almost made a impact, again Roy was influential at half time by switching Babel with Torres, Lucas moving forward to link up with cole(occasionaly), Jova had a good game and was unlucky with his effort on goal, Kelly again was impressive, Joe's pen was woeful, Douglas Bader could have hit it better, we should have had at least 3 but for a sh*t ref who obviously was awarded a new whistle especially for this match, Aurelio was sluggish and Maxi was ok without being commanding, Overall we just about deserved the win but will need to have the usual suspects back in the second leg if we are to progress.

HALLELUJAH, Some one talking some sense!! I've read so much negative bull sh*t on here regarding this match, as Benito said also, this was a game to rest some of our bigger guns for Monday night. It was a sh*t game, but it's beyond me why we're being so negative, like 'nothing's changed since Benitez'. As far as I am concerned, since Woy has been here, he's done as good a job as any with what he's been given!.. Poulsen looked slightly off the pace a few times, but it was his debut and seems to be lacking match fitness, so you can forgive him of that! His goal should have stood!! I thought Torres looked sharper when he came on, didn't get a lot of service, but as always, has this presence which is always exciting to watch. Babel took his goal very well despite being a bit arratic with his build up play. Sotis, I was again impressed with, yet another solid performance. I felt a sorry for Joe Cole, he was desperate for his first goal, I think nerves got the better of him on the pen... But fantastic play to assist Babel's goal.

Overall, not a grade A performance, but certainly nothing to lose sleep over!!

YNWA! :)
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #449: Aug 19, 2010 11:50:58 pm
      Was gutted Poulsen got a disallowed goal, should of stood. That keeper diving around like a pr**k, torres lifted the team second half. Babel was pretty weak the first 30 with Poulsen, guess its just rust not match fit and had games. Give them games and should be okay, great goal babel. Unlucky JC with the peno. Jova is just insane he is just insane and to remind you HE IS INSANE
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #450: Aug 19, 2010 11:51:50 pm
      Yeh, what is it with our luck in games and with referees? Seems like the only thing we havent shaken off from last year.

Been the case for a long time unfortunately mate. Still remember very well the penalty given to Chelsea in the game Nando scored his first goal. One of the all time worst decisions ive ever seen.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #451: Aug 19, 2010 11:52:54 pm
      Was gutted Poulsen got a disallowed goal, should of stood. That keeper diving around like a pr**k, torres lifted the team second half. Babel was pretty weak the first 30 with Poulsen, guess its just rust not match fit and had games. Give them games and should be okay, great goal babel. Unlucky JC with the peno. Jova is just insane he is just insane and to remind you HE IS INSANE

I reckon he's a timid fella, Milan. What say you, Babs?
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #452: Aug 19, 2010 11:56:14 pm
      I reckon he's a timid fella, Milan. What say you, Babs?

This sums it up for me:

Milan Jovanovic ... Or Mike Tyson ?

But he is a quality player so strong when he runs with the ball, i really wanted him to net.
      Im getting a shirt with his name on it asap
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #453: Aug 19, 2010 11:57:32 pm
      This sums it up for me:

Milan Jovanovic ... Or Mike Tyson ?

But he is a quality player so strong when he runs with the ball, I really wanted him to net.
      Im getting a shirt with his name on it asap

Love it!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #454: Aug 19, 2010 11:59:02 pm
      Just finished watching the game, had to work, so I thought I'd stick in my two penny worth.

1-9 min.  Scrappy opening exchange.  Kyrgiakos looks like he could win any ball put in the air tonight.  Been some decent movement by our forwards.

9-18 min.  Still scrappy, Trabzonspor having the better of the possession.  Little spark of invention from Cole with no reward.  Not really gelling as a team at present.

18-27 min.  Possibly getting scrappier as a game, nothing of note.

27-36 min. Poor.

36-45 min.  This is barely watchable, I'll be quite happy if Babel doesn't come back out for the 2nd half.  Made to eat my words, great work by Cole and a good finish by Babel, doesn't make up for his lackluster display so far though.

45-54 min.  Torres on for Babel and nearly gets on the scoresheet with an audacious shot from the left wing.  Lucas spurns a glorious chance, should have at least got the header on target.  Penalty shout for Maxi, denied wrongly I believe & then penalty given for a foul on Lucas who took a chance when the ball broke away from Torres.  Not a good start for Joe Cole's Liverpool career red carded in his first game & now a missed penalty.

54-63 min.  Jovanovic & Torres link up well, Milan's shot is well saved though.  Great save by Reina.   Much more open game all of a sudden.  Jovanovic & Cole link up well and Torres gets up well for a header that wasn't really a threat to Trabzonspor's goal.

63-72 min.  Not been impressed with Maxi tonight and the man marking at corners has looked horrific at times.  Cole seems to be trying to hard to impress now, when simple options where the better ones.

72-81 min.  Ngog on for Maxi. Poulsen has what would have been a perfectly good goal chalked off.  Keeper playing acting didn't help.  All of the sudden the ref seems very officious. Ngog definitely seems to be a bit stronger this season.

81-90 min.  Dull.

Reina - 7.  Really called upon only once, but did his job.
      Kelly - 6.  Got caught out a couple of times, but solid.
      Aurelio - 6.  Same as Kelly.
      Kyrgiakos - 7.  Man of the match for me.
      Carragher - 7.  Couple of good tackles, good partnership with Sotis.
      Poulsen - 7.  Good debut, unlucky to have his goal ruled out.
      Lucas  - 7.  Some good tackles & forward passes.
      Jovanovic - 6.   Couple of good touches, but faded in & out of the game.
      Cole - 6.  Seemed to be trying to hard to impress at times.
      Babel - 5.  Scored a goal, but woeful for the first 44 minutes.

Subs
      Torres - 6.  Showed some glimpses & linked up much better than Babel.
      Ngog -  N/A  Not on long enough to judge.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #455: Aug 20, 2010 12:00:01 am
      Lmao!! Jovanovic is an animal!! Don't want to tempt fate, but looks like a cracking signing!!
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #456: Aug 20, 2010 12:00:03 am
      Been the case for a long time unfortunately mate. Still remember very well the penalty given to Chelsea in the game Nando scored his first goal. One of the all time worst decisions ive ever seen.

Breaks your heart as the bad luck has an effect.  

2-0 up (with Poulsen's goal):

- we would have been much more positive about tonight...don't want momentum to dip after a thrilling Arsenal game
      - Poulsen's debut would have been deemed a fab one given his lack of matches - he would have been buzzing and Roy would have been able to give "his" signing a big pat on the back
      - we could have taken the return leg a little easier - this year is about the premiership
      - the press would not have another opportunity to moan about our "weakenesses".  No Sirs, a squad missing SIX BIG NAMES won against a difficult team and had one goal diasllowed but we can shout that all we like - for some reason they love to have a pop REGARDLESS.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #457: Aug 20, 2010 12:01:51 am
      a result, slightly frustrating and I feel sorry for Joe, he wanted badly to score facing the Kop, I still though that torres should have taken it but the spirit was good.

Torres looked coming back to himself and Jovanovic was the man again tonight. I just love that player.

We will stuff them next week, with Steve, Kuyt back in the mix..They'll have no chance. I cannot wait to see Joe, Steve, Kuyt and Torres playing all together.
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #458: Aug 20, 2010 12:04:20 am
      Good on Cole for stepping up to take the penalty though. He'll get better.

For a long time, penalties were divied up between Stevie G and Xabi.  We cant have Captain Fantastic over-doing it
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #459: Aug 20, 2010 12:05:38 am
      What is that chant that they sing besitkas do it aswell.

Sounds like

Oh here we go
      na na na na na na na na naaaaa

Whatever it is im sure that the return leg will be exciting, as playing in Turkey generally is

Quick Reply