Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

The decline of our Club

Read 8841 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: The decline of our Club
      Reply #46: Aug 25, 2010 12:39:12 am
      You're wrong about Utd, have they not bought a star in the making in that lad Hernandez for around £10 million, because he looked sh*t hot in the world cup for Mexico.

I disagree mate they bought Ronaldo, who our club (Parry) turned down because he thought he was too much for a teenager, they made almost 8 times what they paid for him by nurturing his taelents and allowing him game time, Ronaldo was a rough diamond in the Portugese league, United as much as I hate to admit it, polished him much to our displeasure for more than one reason.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #47: Aug 25, 2010 07:48:11 am
      Let's not forget Pato. He was available for under 10m pounds also and the board buckled.

But funnily enough, Moores has been the chief in F***ing this club up twice. The King Kenny debacle and now with the Yanks.

And some fella thought he was as close to God as Robbie Fowler himself.

From my knowledge and reading about the club, in my opinion it was when Sir John Smith left.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #48: Aug 25, 2010 08:20:16 am
      If I start listing it will just depress me even more... I don't even live in the city and I can't handle this sh*t anymore, that's all us LFC fans live in is pity, anger and hate with a combo of slight hope that someone will dig us out of the whole the yanks have so willfully thrown us in... just tired, very very tired of this crap that we all come on here day in day out hoping for good news.

Sorry to be such a downer, but that is what life as an LFC fan has been like in the past 3 yrs.
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #49: Aug 25, 2010 10:41:11 am
      I think it started 20 years ago but we were very unlucky.

Us taking our eye off the ball coincided with the launch of the premiership and Sky. So
      we allowed United in just when money came in to the game.

I'm not saying money wasn't there before, but in the 80's we didn't spend 10 times or even
      twice what the other clubs did, although we did spend more. I think had we fallen behind in 83 for
      example we could have worked our way through it.

So we fell behind at exactly the wrong time, but I always believed with the right team in place,
      on and off the pitch we could have worked our way out of it, and on a couple of occasions we
      looked like we might do it. When Fowler, Owen, Gerrard all started to come through the ranks
      I started to think we might do it. United were spending 20 million a year when we were spending
      12, it didn't seem too far away.

But in the last 6 or 7 years that changed. Abramovich coming in upped the money, and United
      matched that for a while. So while they spend 40 million we still spent about 12. Suddenly we
      look way behind. You cannot work your way out of that through graft.

Now Man City has made it worse, now the top spending team can spend 100 million while we
      are making money on transfers. The only answer for us is a Sugar daddy. I hate the fact that
      this is what football has become but we either accept it and enjoy the odd win we get against
      the top sides or we try to bring in the big money owner. I have to admit the fact that this is
      the case makes me question my support of the premiership altogether.

The only small consolation for us is that I believe the same problem faces MU now. They have
      not being spending, have huge debts and are being outspent by at least two clubs now.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #50: Aug 25, 2010 11:04:53 am
      For me, it started in the early 1990's.

I still remember when, at the time there was a requirement to field young english players (I forget the name of the rule now), we went out and bought .... David Speedie, and old scottish player.
      It was when, all of a sudden, the legends from the 80's (Hansen & Lawrenson in defence, Rush, Dalglish etc) retired, and whereas under Paisley (and I assume Shanks - not around when he was in charge) we had readymade replacements, now we didnt - the cupboard was bare.

Maybe we didnt have the money - but what if we had tried to expand Anfield (not just add the Upper Centenary to the Kemlyn road stand) when the Mancs were building up OT a piece at a time. Like it or not, commercially, we have been at least a decade behind Arsenal, United, Chelski etc - and its hard to catch up.

Maybe it's just bad timing, but since money started coming into the league (with Sky) we haven't won the league...

Yes the current owners have turned a bad situation into a nightmare, but the decline started at least a decade before they came to the club.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #51: Aug 25, 2010 10:03:35 pm
      How long are you going to talk about money? Every post I read - money is everywhere. City beat us yesterday because of the f**ing money. Open your eyes. How much did they (City) spend last summer??? What did they achieve? They lost the 4th position to Spurs. And this year they have spent even more than last one. And the result will be the same.
      What about Real Madrid. How much did they spend? They have bought Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema etc. Where they were last year?  Nowhere. Remember,  how we beat them in the Champions League.
      Have MU bought any star this year? No. Arsenal? No.

Yeh city got beat by spurs but spurs have spent a fortune too. City have spent big and theyre going places like it or not. Theyre bench would be all automatic starters for us. They loaned and sold players that would be in our starting 11. They have strength in depth, young english talent and havent even got a superstar yet like nando or stevie.. when they finally get one look out.

Chelsea have spent big before, have kept the spine of this team and constantly add quality names on high wages to their squad. Even this season one of their quietest they got Benny one of our best players over the last few years.. and thats just for their bench.

Utd have spent big and some of their youth gambles have pid off big time. Theyve sold stars like becks at the right moment and now are buying mega young like bebe smalling and hernandez. Hernandez looks like he could be a legend for them.

Arsenal also have a worldwide scouting network that makes them a transfer profit unlike us.

Madrid lost out to an incredible barca side but accumulated their best ever total with so many new players and they are all there plus even more additions for mourinho to win with. Watch them this year.

We have not spent big enough and any stage unfortunately, we dont have the scouts, the youth development, we cant pay big enough wages. we cant offer CL anymore.. we're not a genuine top 4 club anymore :( and money is as big a reason as any other for this.

The souness thing was massive to me and Moores selling to the yanks but last summer was the ultimate decline of very modern success levels. When after finishing so close in 2nd on a tiny budget the owners refused to invest in the side and we started selling. As soon as we got a sniff of the league we should have spent 80m  and pushed on but the yanks tried to do it on the cheap seeing benitez success with little money and it started a  lowering of expectations among everyone and forced into reality: we're broke and broke clubs cant compete with the top clubs thats why u wont see wolves or blackpool overtaking spurs or utd. Only huge amounts of money could do that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #52: Aug 25, 2010 10:07:40 pm
      For me, it started in the early 1990's.

I still remember when, at the time there was a requirement to field young english players (I forget the name of the rule now), we went out and bought .... David Speedie, and old scottish player.
      It was when, all of a sudden, the legends from the 80's (Hansen & Lawrenson in defence, Rush, Dalglish etc) retired, and whereas under Paisley (and I assume Shanks - not around when he was in charge) we had readymade replacements, now we didnt - the cupboard was bare.

Maybe we didnt have the money - but what if we had tried to expand Anfield (not just add the Upper Centenary to the Kemlyn road stand) when the Mancs were building up OT a piece at a time. Like it or not, commercially, we have been at least a decade behind Arsenal, United, Chelski etc - and its hard to catch up.

Maybe it's just bad timing, but since money started coming into the league (with Sky) we haven't won the league...

Yes the current owners have turned a bad situation into a nightmare, but the decline started at least a decade before they came to the club.

Yeh city got beat by spurs but spurs have spent a fortune too. City have spent big and theyre going places like it or not. Theyre bench would be all automatic starters for us. They loaned and sold players that would be in our starting 11. They have strength in depth, young english talent and havent even got a superstar yet like nando or stevie.. when they finally get one look out.

Chelsea have spent big before, have kept the spine of this team and constantly add quality names on high wages to their squad. Even this season one of their quietest they got Benny one of our best players over the last few years.. and thats just for their bench.

Utd have spent big and some of their youth gambles have pid off big time. Theyve sold stars like becks at the right moment and now are buying mega young like bebe smalling and hernandez. Hernandez looks like he could be a legend for them.

Arsenal also have a worldwide scouting network that makes them a transfer profit unlike us.

Madrid lost out to an incredible barca side but accumulated their best ever total with so many new players and they are all there plus even more additions for mourinho to win with. Watch them this year.

We have not spent big enough and any stage unfortunately, we dont have the scouts, the youth development, we cant pay big enough wages. we cant offer CL anymore.. we're not a genuine top 4 club anymore :( and money is as big a reason as any other for this.

The souness thing was massive to me and Moores selling to the yanks but last summer was the ultimate decline of very modern success levels. When after finishing so close in 2nd on a tiny budget the owners refused to invest in the side and we started selling. As soon as we got a sniff of the league we should have spent 80m  and pushed on but the yanks tried to do it on the cheap seeing benitez success with little money and it started a  lowering of expectations among everyone and forced into reality: we're broke and broke clubs cant compete with the top clubs thats why u wont see wolves or blackpool overtaking spurs or utd. Only huge amounts of money could do that.

Applauds, both excellent posts.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #53: Aug 26, 2010 07:09:14 am

The souness thing was massive to me and Moores selling to the yanks but last summer was the ultimate decline of very modern success levels. When after finishing so close in 2nd on a tiny budget the owners refused to invest in the side and we started selling. As soon as we got a sniff of the league we should have spent 80m  and pushed on but the yanks tried to do it on the cheap seeing benitez success with little money and it started a  lowering of expectations among everyone and forced into reality: we're broke and broke clubs cant compete with the top clubs thats why u wont see wolves or blackpool overtaking spurs or utd. Only huge amounts of money could do that.

Mate that post is absolutely spot on! Got a smack in the face from it by realising that we are not even close to being top contenders! Frightening atcually how the decline came about under the radarand has finally hit home.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #54: Aug 26, 2010 08:24:21 am
      All blame sits with Morres and Parry. From two clowns to another 2 clowns
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #55: Aug 26, 2010 08:39:50 am
       Though we have won cups along the way we really have been in decline for the last 20 years,winning cups brings big financial rewards but sadly only a small portion of those rewards has been spent on buying good players  to keep us at the top.We were the envy of every other club with our managerial and coaching staff continuity but sadly that no longer applies at Anfield.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #56: Aug 27, 2010 12:44:10 am
      It's easy to point out certain events that have led to "our decline", but a bigger worry is the decline of football in general. The last 2 world cups have been disappointing and international football in general is beyond boredom.
      It looks like the FA though are on the right track with the new squad rules, with an aim to reduce foreign influence and possible help the national team (not that many people give a toss about it anymore anyway!). What the FA should look into is a wage cap for teams - this of course goes some way to level the playing field and would mean the ridiculously high wages could become a thing of the past. Just imagine, even a conservative wage cap on the match day squad could mean man city might only be able to field 2 or 3 players!!!  ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #57: Aug 27, 2010 04:57:47 am

. What the FA should look into is a wage cap for teams - this of course goes some way to level the playing field and would mean the ridiculously high wages could become a thing of the past. Just imagine, even a conservative wage cap on the match day squad could mean man city might only be able to field 2 or 3 players!!!  ;D
      While the salary cap is good in principle it would not work in practise,When Fred Hopkins signed for L.F.C. in 1921 Man United were fined 350 quid for paying him more than the minimum wage and promising him an illegal percentage of the transfer fee.I can recall the time in the 1950s when the likes of the great Billy Liddell got paid the same as his teammates 20 quid plus a quid for a draw an 2 quid for a win,and even though all the players earned the same we still got relegated.I suggest you ask some of our Aussie posters about salary caps in their N.R.L.Our decline goes a lot further than salary caps.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #58: Aug 27, 2010 08:38:37 am
      When Kenny got stabbed in the back by the same owner who sold the club on to anyone who would line his pockets by that extra few million pounds. Basically Moores tenure.

Let me rephrase that. Things started to decline when Kenny got stabbed in the back. The same owner period/custodian lead to the dealing of g&h into our boardroom, with a leveraged buyout that has seen us sinking with the lead boots the americans have placed around our ankles. Meanwhile the Mancs, the Arse, Chelski and lately Man Citeh/Spurs have outspent us. Rafa might have dealt with it under Moores, but under the filthy snakes we are now stuck with he hadn't a chance.

Execute me if off topic but racerx mate please tell me source of details about our King Kenny please. I always want to know in full details of this great man while he work as Liverpool FC and especially 'How can he make Balckburn Rover to become EPL Champion just in first year he take a job here (if my memory is right :)). I just can find roughly from wiki or somewhere but here in Thailand it might really difficult to find his 'true' and detail story.

^Excuse me
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2010 09:48:37 am by skolRED »
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #59: Aug 27, 2010 01:07:49 pm
      While the salary cap is good in principle it would not work in practise,When Fred Hopkins signed for L.F.C. in 1921 Man United were fined 350 quid for paying him more than the minimum wage and promising him an illegal percentage of the transfer fee.I can recall the time in the 1950s when the likes of the great Billy Liddell got paid the same as his teammates 20 quid plus a quid for a draw an 2 quid for a win,and even though all the players earned the same we still got relegated.I suggest you ask some of our Aussie posters about salary caps in their N.R.L.Our decline goes a lot further than salary caps.

A slight misunderstanding - let me explain again.....my idea is to place a salary cap as a total on the match day squad, ie..the first team plus subs must not be earning more than £1m per week between them. This would mean that clubs could splash as much cash on wages as they saw fit, but they would also HAVE to play a number of youth/local players, so the scheme would benefit in more ways than one; no club would be able to stockpile highly paid international talent, and more and more younger players would get the chance to prove whether they were good enough at the top level instead of being shipped down the leagues without having a fair crack of the whip.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #60: Aug 27, 2010 01:09:43 pm
      Best thing now is for the club to go into administration in October.

Sorry to say that, but for our long term future, we simply cannot afford to go on with Hicks and Gillett and all the hangers on.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #61: Aug 27, 2010 01:10:31 pm
      It is sad but true, we are selling our best players and replacing them with mediocre players. We don't have the young players really coming through so we aint going to be able to compete.

I think the club is as far away from winning the title as they have been in the last 19 years.
      redIndian76
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #62: Aug 27, 2010 03:55:17 pm
      It is sad but true, we are selling our best players and replacing them with mediocre players. We don't have the young players really coming through so we aint going to be able to compete.

I think the club is as far away from winning the title as they have been in the last 19 years.

Hard truth. Only hope is the with current strategy the owners will do our job for us. If LFC goes like this then our fan base outside england will dwindle dramatically. That will hit them financially much harder than expected.
      pompeyboy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #63: Aug 27, 2010 04:31:31 pm

have too agree! :-[
      JAPONICA
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #64: Aug 27, 2010 07:45:57 pm
      Based on all the past glories of 60's,70's,80's what is your KEY moment when our football club started to decline?

Was it a period of management, other club team setups or "Golden generation" players coming through?

Do we now have to rely on Billionaire "playboys" to take us further, who use clubs' as representation of their wealth and status?

Are managers and players just insignificant parts of the commercial machine, where will this nonsense stop?

What will the future be not only for our club but for Football, and what do you think the key is to sustaining stability for all teams in this "rat race society culture"? :mad:

Football is changing, what is the price of success and are we mearly insignificant providers to people who may not actually give a rats arse about humanity?

Quick Reply