Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (8.9%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (3.2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (6.5%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (19.4%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (12.1%)
      Fernando Torres
      (48.4%)
      Glen Johnson
      (1.6%)

Liverpool 1-0 West Brom: In game and Post Match chat

Read 50500 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 West Brom: In game and Post Match chat
      Reply #460: Aug 29, 2010 05:05:26 pm
      That was a lucky win that is why we are complaining produce more performances like that and we will be lucky to finish 7th.

That performance was as bad as anything a Rafa team produced a Anfield. Rafa rarely had Torres and Gerrard in the same team due to injury.

Hopefully with the signing of Meireles we will never see a pairing of Lucas and Poulsen again as well. Hodgson must really have a soft spot for Poulsen he put him in his top 10 players to watch at the world cup alongside Messi Schneider etc.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #461: Aug 29, 2010 05:05:41 pm
      Exactly.

Last season we wouldn't of even won that game so smile.

That's true.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #462: Aug 29, 2010 05:06:01 pm
      MOTM for me has to be Reina. Didn't put a foot wrong all game, and did most of the work for the goal we scored as well.

Yeah, the first real "Reina" type clearance of the season led to our goal.  I don't remember the last time he was able to get the ball away so quickly, hardly at all last season.  Good to see.
      toradel
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts |
      Reply #463: Aug 29, 2010 05:06:44 pm
      Bring on M. Diarra n partner him with meirales because both lucas and poulsen are sh*t... Lucas is joke of a midfielder more less a brazilian... 
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #464: Aug 29, 2010 05:06:48 pm
      Went for Torres for MOTM just because he got the goal.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #465: Aug 29, 2010 05:07:19 pm
      I prompt the question what do our players learn in training?

How to defend all week? We need to start to attack more, even against west brom. They had more shots on target and shots than us, thats embarrasing
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #466: Aug 29, 2010 05:09:03 pm
      Inler if we had him and Meireles in midfield it would have been a completely diffferent story. I'd say Lucas and Poulsen have barely 15 goals between them in there whole careers.

I actually only counted 1 forward pass from Poulsen in the second half and the mad thing is I aint exaggerating.
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #467: Aug 29, 2010 05:10:10 pm
      i think poulsen should play rugby... i mean... they're against forward passing as welll...  :D
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #468: Aug 29, 2010 05:10:57 pm
      I'm also baffled why Roy can play with gerrard in midfield and 2 up front away to City but plays 2 defensive midfielders with 1 striker at home to West Brom baffling stuff.

NGog wasn't on the bench, indicating it wasn't a tactical decision, but one forced on him by fitness.
      Plus, he had Maxi ill all week so he wasn't fit to start, Cole is banned and Meireles is only just here.
      We won, we got three points, that is all that matters.  Get off Roy's back.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #469: Aug 29, 2010 05:11:20 pm
      Under par performance.

Reina was alert all game, not least highlighted by his quick throw leading to the goal.

Agger and Johnson didn't really do anything. Skrtel made me nervous to F**k, but Carra was solid.

Poulsen's new name is Steven Harry Ian Thompson. Or, sh*t for short.

Lucas was my MOTM marginally. I thought he was great today. Really hurried the midfield and played some neat passes and wasn't afraid for once.

Gerrard was committed, but unlucky at times. Good performance.

If that is Fernando at about 50% ready, F**k me he's going to kill some defenders this year. Probably a quarter of what he tried paid off but when they do, boom!
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #470: Aug 29, 2010 05:11:37 pm
      Relieved with the win but seething with the performance. Absolutely not how Liverpool should play that. Torres as my MotM because without his magic we'll probably end this game with a goal-less draw.

There is absolutely no link between Lucas-Poulsen, they look like strangers at best to each other and think this is a park game. Gerrard was getting absolutely no service from any of them. Defensive midfielders my arse, both could not even handle Morrison. That's how bad they were.

The Liverpool defence in particular need a kick up their asses. Skrtel was flirting with the referee, Agger and Johnson were defensive liabilities, Lucas and Poulsen did nothing of note to contribute in breaking up West Brom's attacks.

I thought it would be better to get Poulsen off, slot Gerrard beside Lucas and bring on Dani at half time.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #471: Aug 29, 2010 05:11:51 pm
      I actually only counted 1 forward pass from Poulsen in the second half and the mad thing is I aint exaggerating.

Yeah, it is a shame Mascherano wasn't there, we missed his playmaking abilities...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #472: Aug 29, 2010 05:12:10 pm
      If Lucas and Poulsen start our next game I think I'll cry. I'd even be tempted to drop both and play Miereles and Gerrard with Cole, Maxi and Jovanovich behind Torres.

I'm getting fed up watch our play going sideways, backwards then a long ball up field which we usually lose.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #473: Aug 29, 2010 05:12:37 pm

Indeed I also have exactly the same question. It is pretty much like when Rafa was still here.
      The lack of creativity is amazing. What do they learn in training? There's no improvement what so ever.

But, at least we won and got the 3 points, so we should be happy.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #474: Aug 29, 2010 05:13:31 pm
      Could Kuyt or Babel not have played up front, I could be wrong were both players not bought as strikers.

Why did he play 2 up front against City but 1 up front against West Brom, make no mistake we were extremely lucky today. If it wasn't for that great strike by torres it would be completely different on here.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #475: Aug 29, 2010 05:14:00 pm
      Tell you what, once Cole is back, we can bench both Lucas and Poulson to the bench, stick Gerrard and Raul in the deep lying playmaker roles, Cole in behind Torres, Maxi on the right, on the 2nd half showing and from watching in the world cup, Kuyt on left.

Would be a top starting XI, with game changers like Babel, Jova, Pacheco on the bench, and Lucas/Poulson if we are holding on.

Defo getting a nice squad together now, once we have our striker!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #476: Aug 29, 2010 05:14:12 pm

How to defend all week? We need to start to attack more, even against west brom. They had more shots on target and shots than us, thats embarrasing

Looks like they worked on how to contain West Brom which is a sad state of affairs if you ask me.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #477: Aug 29, 2010 05:14:39 pm
      Those calling for Lucas MOTM, were you watching the same game as me?

I thought he was poor. Yes he looked to play forward passes but 2 out of 3 of them were sh*te and gave the ball away. Poulsen wasn't much better but at least he looks slightly calmer on the ball.

And yes, there is absolutely no creativity to speak of. Really is depressing watching it get passed around the back and hoofed up field. Hopefully bringing Gerrard deeper and starting Meireles along side him brings some impetus into the midfield, and pushing Cole up behind the striker will mean there's abit of flair further up the pitch.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #478: Aug 29, 2010 05:15:01 pm
      Lucas was your man of the match suprise suprise there Crouch the lad was average at best.
      blokkie
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #479: Aug 29, 2010 05:15:51 pm
      Great game!!
      Personally I thought Kuyt was solid again and contributed nicely with an assist but welcome back torres, outstanding strike!!!
      Good stuff, glad to be on the winners list this year.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #480: Aug 29, 2010 05:15:56 pm
      Looks like they worked on how to contain West Brom which is a sad state of affairs if you ask me.

contain a championship team but we couldn't contain manchester citeh...

Its not football where watching, i feel so depressed when we play like this.

We need to have everyone fit and then we will start smashing teams with Ngog fit and Torres fit and with Raul in the team. We have depth now i believe, its a shakey start to the season.

Its like a race why burn out now when you can't keep up at the end?
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #481: Aug 29, 2010 05:16:19 pm
      I thought Lucas was sh*t this match but please give Poulsen some time to adapt wasn't it his first match in premier league?.  
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #482: Aug 29, 2010 05:16:53 pm
      Not so much happy as relieved to get the 3 points, but I'm off to have a drink or two and calm down before I vent my spleen.

Quick Reply