Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Will signing a striker address our problems

Read 8496 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Will signing a striker address our problems
      Reply #23: Aug 30, 2010 07:09:53 pm
      38 league goals in all his career Cole has scored a shocking stat for any striker, he will flop it is flaming obviously he applauded Vidic when Vidic put him on his arse Saturday. Is that someone we really want at Liverpool.

Nope! I'd rather just stick with our Nando who puts Vidic on his arse :D

Seriously though, im not sure Cole is any step up at all from Ngog. If we are to buy someone else, i want them to really offer something. I want another Crouch, or Bellamy, type back up. Not Voronin type.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Aug 30, 2010 07:15:56 pm
      When I see some like Trezequet going for free, a lad past his best but with experience and still something to offer and I see us being linked to Cole for £12 million it makes my blood boil.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,932 posts | 283 
      Reply #25: Aug 30, 2010 07:24:20 pm
      Signing a striker would address part of the problem we have on the pitch but we need some class.
      We do need cover for torres but long balls hoofed up the pitch to "another heskey" (cole) is not the way forward in my opinion.
      Going for giants doesnt always work, look how Tevez holds the ball up and hes a midget. I would prefer crouch coming back than cole tbh.
      Still a conundrum who roy may have up his sleeve but with the limit cash funds we have and the price on decent strikers these days im not really getting my hopes up tbh, Fabiano would be the best signing we could afford in my opinion. I know hes getting on but holds it up well and has a proven record of finding the back of the net. Due to his age we could prob get him on the cheap too.
      At the end of the day we just need a striker for 1 season to cover torres to ensure we get to 4th spot and hopefully by this time next year our summer transfers would be a completely different kettle of fish.
      Think H+G should give the 15/20mill transfer kitty they seem to have swallowed from our sales this summer, to weatherspoons so we can try to forget their abysmal time at our club. Dont think 15/20 mill would cut it though tbh.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #26: Aug 30, 2010 07:26:31 pm
      When I see some like Trezequet going for free, a lad past his best but with experience and still something to offer and I see us being linked to Cole for £12 million it makes my blood boil.

Then you got someone like Raul going cheap as well. A lot better options available for a lot better price around the place.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Aug 30, 2010 07:29:32 pm
      If the yanks do plan on hanging around I think it is insanity they wouldn't provide the necessary funds to purchase a good striker, with the right addition up front would make it more likely we could get a top 4 position and the funds that come with it.

But then I don't expect them to use there small F***ing brain especially when it entails them putting something in first to get it back.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #28: Aug 30, 2010 07:32:41 pm
      Still cant believe we havn't signed a striker again this window.
      Just hope Roy has got something planned on the quiet.
      Not Carlton Cole!

Really shocking we have been unable to snatch a striker still.

BUT Better a Cole than no addition. His footwork is good.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #29: Aug 30, 2010 07:42:43 pm
      You are messing are you solodee that his footwork is good that lad is so clumsy on the ball it is unreal and is obviously only getting targetted by Hodgson because he is tall.
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 30, 2010 07:56:12 pm
      After watching the game yesterday I thing a good old fashioned wide man is a must ,with Kuyt and Jovanovic more inclined to come inside it makes it easier for the likes of West Brom to defend and frustrate us but another striker would be welcome .
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31: Aug 30, 2010 08:51:34 pm
      After watching the game yesterday I thing a good old fashioned wide man is a must ,with Kuyt and Jovanovic more inclined to come inside it makes it easier for the likes of West Brom to defend and frustrate us but another striker would be welcome .
      Agreed, but looks like we're sh*t out of time before the window closes. As for a striker, Cole isn't world class, but he could do well for us if we do buy him.
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 31, 2010 11:20:16 am
      We really need a second striker and haven't had one since Robbie Keane, (whether you liked him or not), left. If Torres gets injured we have very few other options. Last season we took the lead in matches, played teams off the park but couldnt finish them off due to the want of goalscorer - someone you can rely on to stick the ball in the back of the net. However, I think Cole would be another horrendous signing - like Konchesky. It would be a waste of money as I dont think he is any better than what you already have in the squad. He's slow, injury prone and since 2006 until now he has only scored a total of 31 goals. We need another striker but to get Cole on anything other than a few transfer would be a complete waste of time. Not good enough for Liverpool FC. 
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #33: Aug 31, 2010 05:47:38 pm
      the answer is yes but not carlton soddin cole for heavens sake
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #34: Aug 31, 2010 06:09:16 pm
      Doesn't matter now does it. We have to go half a season without proper cover up front.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Aug 31, 2010 06:14:20 pm
      I think it is criminal we still haven't replaced Keane, it will be 2 years now. Will Really really hamper our challenge for a top 4 place. if Torres has another season like last season we are fu**ed.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #36: Aug 31, 2010 06:52:47 pm
      Well, it looks like we haven't signed a back-up.

Kuyt and N'Gog it is. I'd still rather Kuyt was played up top, though. Then Maxi, Cole etc could play on the right hand side.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,262 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #37: Aug 31, 2010 07:18:21 pm
      Yank clowns if Torres gets injured we are up sh*t creek
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #38: Sep 01, 2010 03:23:10 pm
      Yes we do need a cover for Torres but the really important thing is we need a good creative player/midfielder. Having a striker really boost our gameplay as it could ease the goalscoring loads burdened on Torres, but we couldn't afford to have a striker just for the sake of having one. We needed a striker that can strike fear into any defenses heart whether he's small or big. And most important thing is he could click well with Torres. Ngog is good but I couldn't see him getting on well with Torres. When they played, it looked like they were worlds apart. They didn't click and played well.

As much as we needed a good striker but we needed most a good midfielder, someone in a mould of Riquelme/Xavi. Someone who is quick, agile, versatile and can change our direction of play. We got that once in Alonso ( I don't know about Raul). Scoring goals is important but we didn't want Torres to work his way deep from midfield just to get the ball and score. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #39: Sep 01, 2010 03:30:47 pm
      Well, we have Torres, Ngog, Kuyt and Babel.

They are our striking options.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #40: Sep 01, 2010 03:37:22 pm
      Yank clowns if Torres gets injured we are up sh*t creek

Not necessarily- i mean i agree to the extent that we need a decent striker more than any other position- but last season when Torres was injured after christmas- Kuyt didnt do too bad.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #41: Sep 01, 2010 03:41:40 pm
      Its too F***ing late now!

Come on Babs, Eggnogg and Pacheco
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #42: Sep 01, 2010 04:40:24 pm
      lets not forget Jovanović..

I'm totally guted we didnt get a striker.. but we must move on
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #43: Sep 01, 2010 06:26:03 pm
      Well we'll never be able to answer this one.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #44: Sep 01, 2010 07:10:42 pm
      Yes of course BUT biggest problems arent on the pitch.

That maybe true, but regardless of who owns the club the majority of our players have been criminally underperforming for quite sometime - THEY must be accountable for their own performances.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #45: Sep 01, 2010 07:14:23 pm
      lets not forget Jovanović..

I'm totally guted we didnt get a striker.. but we must move on

Jovanovic's primary position IS a striker. Not sure why Roy is giving so much time up front to Ngog who looks woefully out of his depth. Maybe he is to Roy what Lucas was to Rafa...

Quick Reply