Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Van Der Vaart Snubbed Liverpool F.C. For Spurs.

Read 6112 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Van Der Vaart Snubbed Liverpool F.C. For Spurs.
      Sep 06, 2010 09:56:13 am
      SKYSPORTS.com

Rafael van der Vaart has revealed that he chose to join Tottenham ahead of Liverpool this summer.

The Holland international made a dramatic deadline day switch to White Hart Lane after seeing Harry Redknapp move late for his services.

It had appeared that the playmaker was all set to remain at Spanish giants Real Madrid, with no agreement in place to take him away from the Bernabeu.

However, Spurs snapped him up, with the move among the more intriguing to be completed during the summer transfer window.

Redknapp claimed at the time that he pounced for Van der Vaart after seeing Bayern Munich come up short in their efforts to do a deal.

However, the 27-year-old insists it was not the German giants who had made a late bid for his services.

Instead, he claims that Liverpool were the other side hoping to push through a deal, forcing him to choose between two Premier League heavyweights.

Van der Vaart told Sky Sports News: "Liverpool were interested. Bayern were not interested.

"In the end you have to have a good feeling, and with this manager I got a good feeling. I am happy and I am going to Spurs.

"I am going to give it my best and hopefully I will play a lot of games and be important for the team. I hope to get a lot of goals and have a lot of fun."

Van der Vaart is also looking forward to adding to the strong Dutch contingent already plying their trade in the English top flight.

Having been urged to move to the Premier League by his international colleagues for some time, the former Ajax and Hamburg ace is keen to see what all the fuss is about.

"They were always telling me, 'You have to come to England'," he added.

"Now it's happened and I am really looking forward to playing against Dirk (Kuyt), against Nigel (De Jong), against (John) Heitinga."
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Van Der Vaart Snubbed Liverpool F.C. For Spurs.
      Reply #1: Sep 06, 2010 10:01:39 am
      Ya I read that, suprised to be honest but Van De Vaart said he was extremely impressed  by there manager. Can understand top players not wanting to come to us at the moment with the current financial situation.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Sep 06, 2010 10:02:43 am
      So VDV, never got a good feeling about our Roy, shame really because two years ago when we smashed Real Madrid 4-0, VDV would have joined us in an instant if the chance presented itself to him.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #3: Sep 06, 2010 10:03:41 am
      His loss really..Enjoy Europa League football at best for the next 4 seasons!
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Sep 06, 2010 10:17:46 am
      Another way of saying "I wanted to play Champions League footy". A bit fickle, tbh, since Spurs aren't going to last in that competition, but whatever.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Sep 06, 2010 10:21:39 am
      Probably chose to play champions league football.

His loss, by the way.

Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #6: Sep 06, 2010 11:27:49 am
      Eh, although he is a good player, we already have solid wingers. If he was an out and out striker I would be more upset over this loss.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Sep 06, 2010 11:28:06 am
      Probably chose to play champions league football.

Sign Of The Times Innit.

Any player in the last three decades having a choice would have come here without a second thought.
      Now..they have a second thought.

PS. Adryan.
      My bird is better than your bird. ;D
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #8: Sep 06, 2010 11:41:52 am
      4-0 was it?

Thats it at Anfield...

VDV enjoy a sh*te career with arry
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #9: Sep 06, 2010 11:50:24 am
      He chose "Arry" and 1 season of Champions league over "Woy"? No biggie..
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #10: Sep 06, 2010 11:56:51 am
      I doubt his decision was Champions League footie- its the first year Spurs have made top 4 in god knows how long!
      Hardly consistent.

I am not too gutted he didnt join us- maybe he prefers London to Merseyside!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #11: Sep 06, 2010 12:06:11 pm
      Not that surprising, we already have Cole, Gerrard and Meireles in central midfield, Roy probably couldn't give him enough confidence about his position in the team and on the field, obviously he's leaving Real to be certain to play regularly in his favoured position.

Eh, although he is a good player, we already have solid wingers. If he was an out and out striker I would be more upset over this loss.
      He isn't a winger mate. A central attacking midfielder/playmaker/in the hole player.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010 12:13:43 pm by Dexter »
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #12: Sep 06, 2010 12:15:32 pm
      If it was managers that swung it, fair play
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #13: Sep 06, 2010 12:17:04 pm
      Typical modern day footballer jumping on the champions league gravy train ,probably better that he joined spurs as we can do without the likes of VDV ,just another glory hunter with no feeling for the club thats ploughing millions  into his bank account.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #14: Sep 06, 2010 12:18:25 pm
      Come to think of it, maybe 'Arry convinced him by sharing his secrets on tax evasion?

Players do say taxes in this country are too high.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15: Sep 06, 2010 12:44:53 pm
      ;D! We have been snubbed by players in the past when Rafa was here. Again people creating another stick to beat Roy with, pretty embarassing considering J. Cole snubbed 'Arry for Roy abarttt a month ago.

Oh, but wait, Roy had nothing to do with that, but then EVERYTHING to do with VDV, Purslow must have left this one to Roy eh?  :f_whistle:

VDV went for many things, 1st team football, champions league football, and to be loved again, big fish in a little pond. No pressure. Bliss after being ripped the sh*t out of by Real fans for 3 years.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Sep 06, 2010 12:46:38 pm
      What are you on about Anny your the one bringing this up again, jaysus will you get over your dislike of Rafa.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #17: Sep 06, 2010 12:47:20 pm
      Your loss mate, if you would rather play with Defoe and Modric than Gerrard and Torres that's your choice.. not knocking the Spurs players, but they are not internationally renowned super stars.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Sep 06, 2010 12:59:59 pm
      I F***ing loved Rafa, he should still be our manager, as far as I'm concerned, he is far superior to Roy. I am not going to sit on here and w*nk over him for the rest of my natural, because that chapter has closed.

Whenever I see some negative news on here there is always some soft lad waiting to say, 'if only Rafa was here'. Well F**k me, he isn't is he!? So what is the point in saying it?

Roy is being used as the scapegoat, he is the pawn in a little game of a bigger picture, if you can get the message out that Roy is licking the arse of the owners and incompetent, the job is half done.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #19: Sep 06, 2010 01:04:41 pm
      Thank goodness we didn't get him. Watched him a few times and he's too lightweight and slow and not that spectacular either. Our game here is so much faster and physical and he will need plenty of time to acclimatise with, and time is what we don't have for him.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #20: Sep 06, 2010 01:07:30 pm
      Not that surprising, we already have Cole, Gerrard and Meireles in central midfield, Roy probably couldn't give him enough confidence about his position in the team and on the field, obviously he's leaving Real to be certain to play regularly in his favoured position.
      He isn't a winger mate. A central attacking midfielder/playmaker/in the hole player.

Well I think we have plenty of that as well with Meireles, Cole, Gerrard, and Pacheco waiting in the shadows right? I am just trying to figure out where he would have fitted in if we would have bought him.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #21: Sep 06, 2010 01:11:00 pm
      Well I think we have plenty of that as well with Meireles, Cole, Gerrard, and Pacheco waiting in the shadows right? I am just trying to figure out where he would have fitted in if we would have bought him.

He would have been competing to J. Cole, Gerrard and Meireles for the position of in the hole. Not a player we needed so I doubt the level of interest we showed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: Sep 06, 2010 01:18:36 pm
      Quality player Rafael. CAM is one of our strongest areas at the moment with Gerrard, Cole and even youth back up with Shelvey, Pacheco and Eccleston. Maybe he fancied his chances of first team football more at Spurs

Quick Reply