Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Fernandez Suso (Liverpool > AC Milan)

Read 192476 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Fernandez Suso Player Thread
      Reply #1265: Jan 07, 2015 09:40:06 am
      I was sincerley looking forward to a Can, Suso midfield pairing a couple of years down the line, think they'd have been the perfect foil for each other, Can the ball winner, Suso dictating the play with his silky passing.

Really think we've fu**ed up here, Suso has all the ingredients to be a top,top central midfiedler, he just needs to be playing a good standard of football now to seriously hone them.

Agree with you on this all day long mate. He was my favourite player coming through the under-21s, was buzzing when I first saw him come through but then he got wasted out wide. Something is going seriously wrong at the club if we're letting potentially quality players walk through the exit door for F**k all. Another annoying thing is I'm not sure of the midfield situation at Milan so it could be questionable as to how much game time he gets there too.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1266: Jan 07, 2015 03:07:09 pm
      Suso's gonna boss a slow league like Serie A.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1267: Jan 07, 2015 05:21:32 pm
      Just interesting to read this article in the Echo regarding young stars of the future who have previously been released by the club. At the time many of us bemoan the fact they haven't been given the proper opportunity but history shows the club rarely make an error on these kids (if ever) and it may well prove to be the same with Suso. You only have to take Dani Pacheco as an example, the amount of thread space he must have taken up during his time on the books was ridiculous. Apparently none of the our managers knew what they were doing, how could they ignore him? But you only have to look at his career path and the career paths of others to see that the decision was the correct one. It is perhaps worth remembering this the next time we are clambering for a Ryan McLaughlin, Harry Wilson or a Mark Kent to be given an opportunity in the first team.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/now-liverpool-fc-wonderkids-who-8400416

A young player, who has shown flashes of being a first team player, sent away when it appears the club should be doing all to keep him? Check.

The Spaniard ticks a number of boxes for disappointed fans.

Because he's foreign, he's automatically cultured and exotic; a diamond of a player.

His shimmies and shifts of body weight need to be permanently on view in the Premier League, and also placed on YouTube with a hardcore disco beat as the backing track.

And his goals in training are replayed, over and over, and over and over.

Liverpool have been here plenty of times before, with excitement building over potential stars of the future, only to see them fade and float away.

Whether letting go of Suso is a mistake will be determined in the future. Here's the ones who did – or, in most cases, did not - get away.

Alou Diarra

Signed from Bayern Munich in 2002, Diarra was likened to Patrick Vieira by Reds boss Gerard Houllier. It was hoped he would bring some steel to the midfield, but after three years on loan in France, he was sold by Rafael Benitez in 2005.

Played for Lens, Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille and Rennes in France and also had a spell at West Ham. Now without a club.

Richie Partridge

Flying wide man who excellence on the ball spread through word-of-mouth and often touted as the solution to the Reds' right wing issues. Despite that, he only played three times – all in the League Cup – before embarking on a career England's lower leagues, as well as Welsh sides The New Saints and Airbus UK.

He's now back at Anfield as a physiotherapist to the Under-21s after retiring in 2013.

Mikel San Jose

Brought to Merseyside from Athletic Bilbao in 2007, the Spanish centre back regularly featured for the reserves in his first two seasons and generated plenty of optimism.

But he was loaned back to Athletic in 2009 before making his move permanent in 2010, where he has stayed since – reaching the Europa League final and making his international debut in September 2014.

Gabriel Paletta

Towering centre back – or, to others, slow and lumbering - who was expected to be heir to Sami Hyypia's throne, but the long-haired defender struggled to live up to that. He would make just three league appearances for Liverpool with his Anfield career ultimately over when putting in a woeful performance against Arsenal as the Gunners won 6-3 in the League Cup.

He was subsequently sold to Boca Juniors, where Paletta rebuilt his career. He moved to Parma in 2010 and has been thought of as one of Serie A's best defenders; the Argentina-born Paletta faced England for Italy at the World Cup and was linked with a £20m move to AC Milan last summer.

Sebastian Leto

The mystique around the Argentine wide man surrounded the problems with his passport. He made his debut in the Champions League qualifier but couldn't feature in the Premier League, with Leto being forced to play in the reserve team instead; he would then be refused a work permit.

He was no great loss. He spent a season at Olympiakos before moving to rivals Panathinaikos. He has spent the last two seasons at Catania, who are currently in Serie B.

Paul Anderson

Anderson was brought to Liverpool from Hull in 2005 and was immediately bestowed with expectation. He was one of the stars of the 2006 FA Youth Cup winning side with his pace and trickery seeing him likened to Michael Owen.

Anderson would be on the bench for Liverpool's home tie with Benfica in 2006 – but would soon be shipped out on loan to Swansea and Nottingham Forest. He moved to Forest permanently in 2009, spending three years there, and then spent a year at Bristol City; he is now a big part of Ipswich Town's promotion push.

Dani Pacheco

Pacheco arrived from Barcelona in 2007 and caught the eye in the reserves and helping them to the title against Aston Villa. But he failed to impress when given first-team opportunities and was moved on loan to Norwich, Atletico Madrid, Rayo Vallecano and Huesca – despite being part of the Spain Under-20 squad to compete at the Under-20 World Cup in 2011.

He joined Spanish second-tier side Alcorcon on a permanent deal in 2013 before sealing a move to Real Betis, also of the Segunda Divison.

Antonio Barragan

A right back who was one of Rafael Benitez's first signings at Anfield, despite not kicking a ball for Sevilla. He wouldn't do much kicking for Liverpool either, managing just one appearance for the first team – despite increasing calls for the Spaniard to challenge Steve Finnan for the full back spot.

He has enjoyed a solid career at La Liga with Deportivo, Valladolid and Valencia and scored the equaliser in Los Che's 2-1 win against Real Madrid as they ended Real's 22-game winning run.

Jordy Brouwer

Plenty was expected of the Dutch striker given he was a product of Ajax's youth set-up and impressed in the Reds reserves after signing in January 2007.

But he was never given a chance in the first team and has spent his career back in Holland. Currently at DHC Delft in the fourth-tier of Dutch football.

Krisztian Nemeth

Another striker whose presence was often requested following exciting showings in the reserves for Liverpool. The Hungarian was brought from capital club MTK Budapest in 2007 and he was the top goalscorer in the Premier Reserve League in 2007/08; he was also named fans' reserve of the year.

But he would not make a competitive appearance for the Reds and go on a whirlwind tour of Europe – including Blackpool, AEK Athens, Olympiakos and Roda JC. Having been capped 13 times for Hungary – his last coming in 2013 – he is now in the MLS with Sporting Kansas City.

Anthony Le Tallec

No introduction required for the Le Havre midfielder who had everyone talking – along with partner-in-criminal-disappointment Florent Sinama Pongolle.

Le Tallec would play a part in Liverpool's Champions League win and actually was on the club's books for seven years. But he would spend three of those on loan, before stints at Le Mans, Auxerre and Valenciennes, where he currently resides.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle

Pongolle delivered more than Le Tallec, even if more of the excitement centred around his team-mate. Pongolle would move to Recreativo – where he would score 22 in 68 – before a two-year stint at Atletico Madrid. During that time, he would win his sole French cap.

He has also had spells at Sporting Lisbon, Real Zaragoza, St-Etienne and Russian side FC Rostov before rocking up to the MLS with Chicago Fire in 2014.

Gerardo Bruna

Dubbed the 'next Lionel Messi', Bruna's signing in 2007 incensed Real Madrid. "I was surprised when Bruna left because he had been with us for three years and, as soon as he was about to mature, Liverpool took him,” said former midfielder and current Olympiakos boss Michel.

Now, after time at Blackpool and Spanish third tier side Huesca, he is back in England – with Conference South side Whitehawk FC.

The semi-professional side, based near Brighton, are in the tier below the Conference Premier and currently sit sixth.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #1268: Jan 07, 2015 05:26:09 pm
      Florent Sinama-Pongolle

Pongolle delivered more than Le Tallec, even if more of the excitement centred around his team-mate. Pongolle would move to Recreativo – where he would score 22 in 68 – before a two-year stint at Atletico Madrid. During that time, he would win his sole French cap.

He has also had spells at Sporting Lisbon, Real Zaragoza, St-Etienne and Russian side FC Rostov before rocking up to the MLS with Chicago Fire in 2014.

Got to see FSP here in Chicago. He was F***ing sh*te. And that was on one of the worst teams in MLS last year.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #1269: Jan 07, 2015 08:53:15 pm
      So I guess in San Jose, Barragan and Paletta we have let go of some defenders who could have been useful to us at this time.
      Redangel

• 8,361 posts | 1013 
      Reply #1270: Jan 07, 2015 09:23:02 pm
      Really sad to see him go without a real chance in the first team. Granted he may not have made it, but I always thought he deserved the opportunity!
      Sadly if he didn't get the chance this season, he must have thought it would never come.
      I wish him nothing but the best and hope he makes us regret this decision.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #1271: Jan 07, 2015 09:46:40 pm
      So I guess in San Jose, Barragan and Paletta we have let go of some defenders who could have been useful to us at this time.

Who'd have thought the club would make mistakes with defenders.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1272: Jan 07, 2015 09:59:28 pm
      Barragan wanted to leave for personal reasons and Paletta was, is and will always be sh*te. Never would have made it here.

Mikel San Jose looks to have done well for himself but he is Basque playing for Athletic.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1273: Jan 08, 2015 10:19:33 am
      Barragan wanted to leave for personal reasons and Paletta was, is and will always be sh*te. Never would have made it here.

Mikel San Jose looks to have done well for himself but he is Basque playing for Athletic.

That's it, none of them have gone on to become out and out world beaters, some have gone on to eventually have solid careers at clubs where the pressure is much less than at LFC. Can anyone think of a youngsters who has left that has gone onto to be a truly top top player? I can't. It's not like we have let a Paul Pogba (god I wished we had put a big bid in for him in the summer) go.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1274: Jan 08, 2015 11:05:11 am
      Can anyone think of a youngsters who has left that has gone onto to be a truly top top player? I can't.

Neither can I mate but maybe one or two we've let go in the last 5 years might still do.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #1275: Jan 08, 2015 11:36:43 am
      As far as I'm concerned alongside Sterling, Suso really helped to save Brendan's arse in his first season following that shocking summer (before the committee was brought in) where Borini, Allen and Sahin were signed. Not only did he play well (whilst playing out of position) but he helped to deflect attention away from Brendan's shocking work in the transfer market and he helped to cultivate a positive image for the gaffer as far as fans and the media are concerned as being a manager who was willing to give youth players a chance.

And what was young Suso's reward? The gaffer and co. turned around and spent almost £15M on Alberto and Aspas and shipped Suso out on loan. The reasoning for this was that Suso wouldn't be guaranteed football as there was more "competition" yet the £15M worth of "talent" who effectively led to Suso being shown the door didn't play that much anyway so ultimately wouldn't it have been better (and cheaper) for us to have kept Suso here instead of buying those two jokers? But instead of complaining (like I am) Suso went out on loan at Almeria and he shone. He was easily their best player and helped to keep them up whilst gaining many plaudits in Spain. And what was his reward? Being effectively frozen out (probably because he preferred to stay here and fight for his place rather than go to Porto in the summer) and almost every time you googled the lad's name there was some interview or quote where he spoke about how he wanted to stay here and how he wanted to sign a new contract etc etc.

This is just as bizarre a situation as the Dani Pacheco saga, the difference being that every time Suso was given an opportunity and he was given the ball he ran with it... and then proceeded to play a well weighted pass so why has he been ostracized? Can anyone genuinely, honestly, hand on heart tell me that [Joe Allen (£15M, Fabio Borini (£12M, Nuri Sahin (LOAN), Iago Aspas (£7M), Luis Alberto (£7M), Victor Moses (LOAN), Mario Balotelli (£16M), Rickie Lambert (£4M)] £61M+ worth of players not counting the loan fees plus wages have offered us more than Suso has or played better than Suso did? Granted they don't all play in Suso's position but with a tactical adjustment the place they took on the team sheet or bench could have been taken by Suso. It absolutely boggles the mind.

Its a shame we're letting such a talented player who evidently wants to be here go; And I also think it's a shame he's taking his talents to Italy and Milan. Italy isn't particularly kind to young players either they're proclaimed the next *insert legendary player name here* or they're labelled sh*te. Either way there's no shortage in scrutiny placed on them. If I was advising Suso I would have had him look more towards Portugal and one of the big 3 there. He'd be able to grow at bis own pace whilst getting plenty of football in a country where his kind of talent would be appreciated. Though if I had it my way he wouldn't be leaving in the first place.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1276: Jan 08, 2015 01:20:35 pm
      United get 2 Million for Keane and LFC let Suso go for nothing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,294 posts | 4941 
      Reply #1277: Jan 08, 2015 01:30:52 pm
      United get 2 Million for Keane and LFC let Suso go for nothing.

This is main problem mate.

Not that we have decided to let him go. But we let him go for free.

Should have easily been a £5M player.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1278: Jan 08, 2015 02:51:56 pm
      This is main problem mate.

Not that we have decided to let him go. But we let him go for free.

Should have easily been a £5M player.

Exactly.
      If it was the other way around, like Luis Alberto, we pay top dollar.
      That's my biggest issue. We let a young player's contract wind down and lose him for zip.

Brainless transfer strategy at the incoming and outgoing right now.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1279: Jan 08, 2015 03:28:45 pm
      So disappointed Brendan didn't see much in him.

Always thought he did well whenever he was given the chance (at least better than some of the so called world class stars we have during the bad times) and was hoping he would cement his place in the first team this season.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1280: Jan 08, 2015 07:06:33 pm
      As far as I'm concerned alongside Sterling, Suso really helped to save Brendan's arse in his first season following that shocking summer (before the committee was brought in) where Borini, Allen and Sahin were signed. Not only did he play well (whilst playing out of position) but he helped to deflect attention away from Brendan's shocking work in the transfer market and he helped to cultivate a positive image for the gaffer as far as fans and the media are concerned as being a manager who was willing to give youth players a chance.

And what was young Suso's reward? The gaffer and co. turned around and spent almost £15M on Alberto and Aspas and shipped Suso out on loan. The reasoning for this was that Suso wouldn't be guaranteed football as there was more "competition" yet the £15M worth of "talent" who effectively led to Suso being shown the door didn't play that much anyway so ultimately wouldn't it have been better (and cheaper) for us to have kept Suso here instead of buying those two jokers? But instead of complaining (like I am) Suso went out on loan at Almeria and he shone. He was easily their best player and helped to keep them up whilst gaining many plaudits in Spain. And what was his reward? Being effectively frozen out (probably because he preferred to stay here and fight for his place rather than go to Porto in the summer) and almost every time you googled the lad's name there was some interview or quote where he spoke about how he wanted to stay here and how he wanted to sign a new contract etc etc.

This is just as bizarre a situation as the Dani Pacheco saga, the difference being that every time Suso was given an opportunity and he was given the ball he ran with it... and then proceeded to play a well weighted pass so why has he been ostracized? Can anyone genuinely, honestly, hand on heart tell me that [Joe Allen (£15M, Fabio Borini (£12M, Nuri Sahin (LOAN), Iago Aspas (£7M), Luis Alberto (£7M), Victor Moses (LOAN), Mario Balotelli (£16M), Rickie Lambert (£4M)] £61M+ worth of players not counting the loan fees plus wages have offered us more than Suso has or played better than Suso did? Granted they don't all play in Suso's position but with a tactical adjustment the place they took on the team sheet or bench could have been taken by Suso. It absolutely boggles the mind.

Its a shame we're letting such a talented player who evidently wants to be here go; And I also think it's a shame he's taking his talents to Italy and Milan. Italy isn't particularly kind to young players either they're proclaimed the next *insert legendary player name here* or they're labelled sh*te. Either way there's no shortage in scrutiny placed on them. If I was advising Suso I would have had him look more towards Portugal and one of the big 3 there. He'd be able to grow at bis own pace whilst getting plenty of football in a country where his kind of talent would be appreciated. Though if I had it my way he wouldn't be leaving in the first place.

Good post fella, and I feel ya pain I really do, particularly on the Aspas and Alberto signings, who knows what was going on there. Maybe Suso will be the one that gets away and goes on to become a top top player. Good luck to him.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1281: Jan 09, 2015 01:23:42 am

Spot on this post.

My feelings too.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #1282: Jan 09, 2015 10:06:11 am
       Pity we are losing another young talent
       the strange thing is Suso agreed terms with milan, but to join in July, milan want him now , but there is no agreement with Liverpool to let the player go now
       So he is going for sure, so why not ask milan  to pay ,so we can let him go in January, I am sure the Italian club wants him now for free, as it is with all Italian clubs
       still pity the club did not see suso as a worthy young player, I am sure he will be good in Italian league

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #1283: Jan 11, 2015 10:14:09 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #1284: Jan 11, 2015 10:28:11 pm
      So we buy sh*te for tens of millions and let young talent walk out the door for free ?????
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1285: Jan 11, 2015 10:31:01 pm
      Should not be allowed to train at LFC anymore.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #1286: Jan 11, 2015 10:32:55 pm
      Should not be allowed to train at LFC anymore.

Huh? Why is that exactly he's still a Liverpool player until the Summer he can train at LFC all he likes. Is it his fault the club have no faith in his abilities?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #1287: Jan 11, 2015 10:38:19 pm

I'd like to know more about this:

He did hold talks with the club over a new deal last summer but it soon became apparent that an agreement couldn’t be reached.

Wonder what went on that caused talks to break down. Would guess and say it has either to do with wages or playing time.

Quick Reply