Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Tommy Smith: Liverpool FC boss Roy Hodgson so right to get lean and mean

Read 10926 times
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Re: Tommy Smith: Liverpool FC boss Roy Hodgson so right to get lean and mean
      Reply #23: Sep 11, 2010 02:55:34 pm
      Well why post then and how the fleck does misss spellllinngs of names alter alter a debate 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #24: Sep 11, 2010 02:58:13 pm
      I'm not saying we should keep every player we've signed.. Its the principle or the justification that their trying to give.. Basically their saying fringe players shouldn't exist??

No they are not.

Look at our second string or fringe players.

Jones
      Kelly
      Sotis
      Skrtel
      Aurelio
      Babel
      Lucas
      Poulsen
      Maxi
      Pacheco
      Ngog

It's hardly a side brimming with inexperience really is it? 7 full internationals and probably our two most promising lads over the past year or two (Kelly and Pacheco). Along with regulars in the first team/squad for a while Ngog and Aurelio.

The "second tier" is not being removed at all.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #25: Sep 11, 2010 03:00:08 pm
      Barney had many a go at Rafa and his style of play as did Thompson, Hunt said he should of been sacked 18 months earlier and got slated. Point is anyone who has played the game at such a high level and in a red shirt has earned the right to have an expert opinion..

Let's be honest about St John since Houllier took over the style of our football has gradually been dropping from the old pass and move last seen under Uncle Roy Evans. 
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #26: Sep 11, 2010 03:00:42 pm

Roy wants a squad that could all be considered 'first teamers' and a ressies squad that is young and full of potential. He does not want anything in between.

How can all the players be considered first teamers with space for your best 11 and without spending copious amounts of money?
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #27: Sep 11, 2010 03:03:12 pm
      That'll be St John the xenophobe who slaughtered Houllier, sorry The Frenchman virtually all the way through the treble season, in fact it got so bad Radio City ended up replacing him with Aldo!!

Lawrenson talks out of his arse and says anything that make him look good in front of Lineker, his columns are a load of sh*te too.

You do know Whelan is a die-hard Utd fan?

I never heard John Barnes or Phil Thompson really have a go at Rafa and generally like listening to their thoughts, same goes for Hansen, but his "Worst Liverpool team in 45 years" quote back in 2005 is up there with "You win nothing with kids" quote.

Lawrenson is certainly hit and miss for me. The rest I like listening to. These lads get asked questions. They all played for the club and know what makes the club tick and what the club is about.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #28: Sep 11, 2010 03:03:14 pm
      All about fighting for your place, your first eleven should pick itself the rest of the squad should be fighting to knock the opposing first teamer of his perch. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #29: Sep 11, 2010 03:04:43 pm
      Barney had many a go at Rafa and his style of play as did Thompson, Hunt said he should of been sacked 18 months earlier and got slated. Point is anyone who has played the game at such a high level and in a red shirt has earned the right to have an expert opinion..

Let's be honest about St John since Houllier took over the style of our football has gradually been dropping from the old pass and move last seen under Uncle Roy Evans. 

I think that had a lot more to do with his condition, it pretty much started directly after Leverkusen, when he tried to go attacking by bringing on Smicer for Hamann and it backfired, from that moment on he went very defensive and our football suffered.

Also a lot of the older players will say want the interviewer wants to hear so they carry on getting paid.
      Don77
      • Started Topic

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #30: Sep 11, 2010 03:06:19 pm
      How can all the players be considered first teamers with space for your best 11 and without spending copious amounts of money?

He doesnt want to get an injury, look at his squad and not have confidence in the players he has to come in. That was our problem last season, when we saw the likes of Dossena, Degan, Voronin ( who was packed off to a beach in november ) and El Zhar were on the bench.

He wants a squad that are all capable of playing in the first team, that will increase competition!
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #31: Sep 11, 2010 03:07:09 pm
      To be Honest although I don't rate Houllier I think he would make a fantastic number two but that was never going to happen.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #32: Sep 11, 2010 03:08:20 pm
      Point is anyone who has played the game at such a high level and in a red shirt has earned the right to have an expert opinion..

I don't entirely agree.. Their loyalty to the club gives their opinion platform but i don't rate their opinion higher than any fans because they no longer play "modern" football.. They spectate just as we do.. In fact there simply fans themselves.. And I also get the feeling many ex reds will always believe they can do better than the current manager at some point..
      Their views are as important as mine.. Not very.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #33: Sep 11, 2010 03:10:21 pm
      Disagree Chico they are experts in their field and we can never know what it is like to play at the highest level. If I look sick would take the opinion of a doctor than someone who has watched loads of episodes of casualty.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #34: Sep 11, 2010 03:16:20 pm
      Disagree Chico they are experts in their field and we can never know what it is like to play at the highest level. If I look sick would take the opinion of a doctor than someone who has watched loads of episodes of casualty.

hmm.. I get what your saying but what if that doctor was from the 1800's..;D..
      I'd go with the tv doc..;D...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Sep 11, 2010 03:27:01 pm
      People have also stopped listening to StJohn, Lawernson, Hanson, Thompson, Hunt, Aldridge, Whelan, Barns and a whole lot more who have criticised the way the club had been going under rafa.
      Yep I guess Smith joins a list of legends who must know feck all ??? ???

Or maybe they were all right about Rafa?

These are people I saw play. All of them.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010 01:27:36 am by eurored »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #36: Sep 11, 2010 04:22:34 pm

Or maybe they were all right about Rafa?

These are people I saw play.
      You'll get roasted for saying that mate ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #37: Sep 11, 2010 04:33:53 pm
      I think all the way through last season we were saying some of the dead wood needed clearing, players such as Plessis, Elzhar, Degen, Voronin, Riera were almost unanimously mentioned every time., however I think we all hoped that if we were going to lose 6 to 8 players as an example, we'd get 1 maybe 2 quality players in at their expense, we got half our wish.

Some of the players Roy got rid off, I totally agree with, one or two he got rid off, I could never agree with.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Sep 11, 2010 04:38:32 pm
      While i'll question the motives of their sales, i have to commend Roy on letting them go. Won't go into the many mitigating factors around the reasoning for their sales, or where the money went from these sales, but i'd rather Pacheco to El Zhar or Riera, Kelly to Degen etc.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #39: Sep 11, 2010 10:09:47 pm
      Every club in the world done this as daily basis. This is a regular job for every manager, so what a point to discuss ?
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #40: Sep 11, 2010 11:13:08 pm
      Maybe im missing something here. But, with all this slating of Rafa, i have to ask:

Did the 08-09 season when everyone was praising him suddenly get struck off the history books after last season?

Some people have short memorys.  :roll: :o
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #41: Sep 11, 2010 11:14:48 pm
      Hunt said he should of been sacked 18 months earlier and got slated.

Yeah, i bet everyone was agreeing with him during the 08-09 season when we out scored everyone with that useless tosser managing us.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #42: Sep 12, 2010 01:26:16 am
      You'll get roasted for saying that mate ;D

Have been since turn of the year.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #43: Sep 12, 2010 09:31:03 am
      Point is anyone who has played the game at such a high level and in a red shirt has earned the right to have an expert opinion..

Even if they work for The S*n?

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010 09:36:16 am by bad boy bubby »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #44: Sep 12, 2010 09:39:26 am
      Sickening picture that. Hunt has no conscience.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #45: Sep 12, 2010 09:48:32 am
      Agree with Tommy Smith totally, the squad under Rafa (and going back further under Houllier) was bloated with average players who either never where good enough in the first place or youngsters who never really looked like making the grade.

People like El Zhar and Degen should have left 18months / 2 years ago and as it seems to be the case with Roy, talented youngsters like Kelly, Pacheco etc could have been introduced earlier and been as/even more effectve.

Quick Reply