Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Liverpool plagued with bad managers

Read 8248 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Liverpool plagued with bad managers
      Reply #46: Sep 17, 2010 08:23:37 pm
      Didn't Ronnie Moran not want the job though mate? And Roy, probably should of got the job but Souness was a Liverpool legend and had just won everything with Rangers. Not a good yardstick I understand but at the time it looked a decent appointment (on paper)
      It was reported that Ronnie Moran did not want the job but if my memory serves me correct Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan did not want the job when they were appointed,and they did not do too bad did they.I am sure if Ronnie had been asked to take the job for a couple of seasons till Roy Evans was ready he would of done.At the time Joe Fagan  was only minding the job till Kenny Dalglish was ready to step up.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #47: Sep 18, 2010 01:15:47 am
      Remember under Souness there were Reds still backing him at the end?? on a few occasions seem to rememeber half the Kop singing Souness, Souness and the other half booing them! For an ex-captain who should have known what the club is all about, the way he went about things was a disgrace which was all topped off by him speaking to that shitrag of a "paper".

Roy Evans did well, brought back some values to the club after the Souness era and his team played some great football just never quite got the defence sorted and as someone already mentioned was always competing with such a strong Uni*ed side.

Houllier got us solid and the winning mentality back but wasnt quite good enough to go that final step, and to be honest some of the football was poor, with looking back, quite a good attacking side.

Rafa.......we all know what he did for the club, made us a major force in Europe again and for me, regardless of what happened last season will always be remembered not just for Istanbul but for the fact under him we beat the biggest teams in Europe.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 261 
      Reply #48: Sep 18, 2010 06:46:07 pm
      I am no Jose lover but he did well at Porto. It will be along time before a portugese side wins the CL again. I would not say he spent a fortune there. Also, even with money, you have to be a good manager to get the best out of them, to make them a team. This is a quality that Mancini does not seem to have at the moment!

You're may be right Don mate about the Man City.
      But my question is, again 'Did you believe Jose Mourinho can bring Chelsea the EPL Champion in his first season WITHOUT the Russian's money' ?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #49: Sep 18, 2010 07:20:30 pm
      But my question is, again 'Did you believe Jose Mourinho can bring Chelsea the EPL Champion in his first season WITHOUT the Russian's money' ?

Well considering Ranieri, Grant, Scolari and even Hiddink couldn't deliver the League title with the Russian's money, I'd say it has a lot more to do with than just Abramovich's dosh.

Maybe Mourinho couldn't of won the League without it but he installed things into the Chelsea side that money couldn't buy - togetherness/belief/pride/a winning mentality. Everybody spoke about Chelsea not winning the League for 50 years, they hadn't actually won anything since the FA Cup in 2000 before Mourinho arrived.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,597 posts | 1104 
      Reply #50: Sep 18, 2010 07:32:50 pm
      Well considering Ranieri, Grant, Scolari and even Hiddink couldn't deliver the League title with the Russian's money, I'd say it has a lot more to do with than just Abramovich's dosh.

Maybe Mourinho couldn't of won the League without it but he installed things into the Chelsea side that money couldn't buy - togetherness/belief/pride/a winning mentality. Everybody spoke about Chelsea not winning the League for 50 years, they hadn't actually won anything since the FA Cup in 2000 before Mourinho arrived.

Agreed Billy mate. he instilled things that are still evident today. Money does not Guarentee success. You have to have a manager who knows what he is doing and I think Mourinho proved at Porto he more than knows what he is doing. As I said before, Mancini is spending even more than Mourinho did, alot more in fact but will they win the league, absolutely no chance!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #51: Sep 18, 2010 08:21:13 pm
       I notice there is a few posts on about Mourinho in this thread,with all due respect when did he ever manage L.F.C. good or bad.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #52: Sep 18, 2010 09:24:48 pm
      Since Dalglish left us liverpool have been on a downward slope due to poor managers.Firstly Graeme Souness who single handedly turned Liverpool from title contenders to mid-table mediocrity.He turned Liverpool's simple and beautiful pass and move football into pretty unenjoyable  displays.I think it's mostly his fault that Liverpool are where they are today.By the end of his reign he become so out off touch with the Liverpool people even giving an interview with the S*n after our FA cup success,And signing quite possibly the worst player i've ever seen in Julian Dicks  ???

The next manager is Roy Evans a man i find very hard to blame for anything.He was simply rebuilding what Souness had broken.He was very good with youth introducing,Redknapp,Owen,Fowler,Carragher,Mcmanaman and co into the team unfortunately he took over Liverpool at the wrong time he left after doing all he could do.

Gerard Houlier was his replacement and many people will disagree with me when i class him as a " bad manager " he did win our famous treble in 2001 but for me that was not enough with the squad he had to work with,Gerrard,McManaman,Carragher,Owen,Fowler,Redknapp,Babbel,Riise,Berger to name a few,this squad coupled with some awful signings prove to me that Houllier really under achieved with us.

And Finally Rafa Benitez I've been 100% in support of Rafa until upto a month ago i came to the conclussion that i was brainwashed by Benitez and took his side because he was standing up to the Yanks but it's obvious his style and his approach had stopped working he had turned cold on too many players too quickly never gave Keane a chance made some awful terrible signings Dossena,Joesemi,Nunez..to name a small fraction off them.Yes he won the Champions league,and Fa Cup and followed it up with runners up in the league but he made two many mistakes and by the end it was obvious the players wanted hi out with no one speaking out at the world cup and Gerrard's look off confusion against Birmingham really showed us his reign was up.

I haven't seen enough off Hodgson to make up my mind yet but the signs are showing he's not up to the standard off what Liverpool managers should be.Arsenal have had Wenger for years,Man Utd have had Fergie for years and Mourinho turned Chelsea into a mediocre 4th/5th club into what they are today a team capable of competing on all fronts..Why havent Liverpool had a Good manager since the Shankly,Paisley days.

/ends rant  :f_steam:

Don't be hard on yourself you had it right when you thought Rafa was and is a good manager. Everyone in the sport news from the heavies to the mirror have done a job on Rafa so don't buy into it just yet, wait and see. Most of the things he has done and players he brought in have in the main been kept and getting shot of a young kid like Insua was folly in my eye's and Aqualini should not have been cast off without a chance, we are few on the ground when it comes to quality, but again I say wait and see and time will show us who was right or wrong. One last thing you must remember Rafa was last given money to spend in 07 the year the yanks took over, even the Torres thing was bought by someone having to be sold and it was like that every year under the yanks, they treated him like he was managing a mid table team and not the biggest club in England and for that he deserves our support.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #53: Sep 19, 2010 12:10:29 am
      Liverpool plagued with bad managers?
      Every Liverpool manager since Shankly has won a trophy.                       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Liverpool_F.C._managers
      Even the disaster that was Souness, won an FA cup! I'd say many clubs would have been glad to have some of our BAD MANAGERS.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #54: Sep 19, 2010 01:53:43 am
      Liverpool plagued with bad managers?
      Every Liverpool manager since Shankly has won a trophy.                       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Liverpool_F.C._managers
      Even the disaster that was Souness, won an FA cup! I'd say many clubs would have been glad to have some of our BAD MANAGERS.

Though it was Ronnie Moran who led us out at Wembley in 92.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #55: Sep 19, 2010 01:57:35 am
      Well educated for a young lad Billy, fair play to the elders. I don't remember the day as i was only a nipper myself, but i think you're right.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #56: Sep 19, 2010 01:59:52 am
      Well educated for a young lad Billy, fair play to the elders. I don't remember the day as i was only a nipper myself, but i think you're right.

I'd only just turned 1 mate when we beat Sunderland, but seen the image an heard the stories of the day enough times to know Ronnie led us out.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #57: Sep 19, 2010 02:14:30 am
      I'd only just turned 1 mate when we beat Sunderland, but seen the image an heard the stories of the day enough times to know Ronnie led us out.
      Sound, well drilled into ya like it F***ing should be. I'd learn a lot from you Billy and I'm not ashamed to admit that.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #58: Sep 19, 2010 02:24:22 am
      Sound, well drilled into ya like it F***ing should be. I'd learn a lot from you Billy and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

We all learn off each other mate, and it's nothing to be ashamed off. As long as we're learning about our club then it's all good.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #59: Sep 19, 2010 02:29:52 am
      We all learn off each other mate, and it's nothing to be ashamed off. As long as we're learning about our club then it's all good.
      True, thats why we're different from all other fans.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8614 
      Reply #60: Sep 19, 2010 03:03:27 am

Souness was still on the bench though, so he was effectively still there as manager!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #61: Sep 19, 2010 03:06:00 am
      Souness was still on the bench though, so he was effectively still there as manager!

Aye I know mate and the FA Cup win in 92 will always be credited as Souness' trophy. (rightly so as well as he was officially the manager at the time)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #62: Sep 19, 2010 04:25:04 am
      Souness screwed up but remember he came from Rangers where he had to and did create a brand new team buying in loads of british players and had huge success all as a player/manager.
      I believe that when he made his mistake due to his ego of wanting to accomplish the same feat but thought more about himself and comparisons to dalglish than about respecting the clubs history.
      I guarentee he regrets massively the way he conducted himself and went about energising the club.
      I remember when he bought mark walters that I was so excited by the thought of he and barnes of the flanks.
      But he made too many changes too quickly and paniced and bought players who were never worthy of being at the club and utterly distabilised it for the following managers.
      Souness, if you remember had a heart attack and clearly had his heart in the right place but his arrogance and desire to stamp his label on the club ended up undermining him and the club for years to come.
      He messed up but its because he tried too hard too quickly and in the wrong areas. 
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #63: Sep 19, 2010 08:28:59 am
      Souness was in hospital with heart problems at the time of the match, so Ronnie was filling in for the day, But Souness was still the gaffer at that time.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #64: Sep 19, 2010 09:46:17 am
      Souness was in hospital with heart problems at the time of the match, so Ronnie was filling in for the day, But Souness was still the gaffer at that time.
      I am sure Souness was at Wembley for the final,in fact I would put my last penny on it.I can recall the commentator saying Souness was getting excited over a decision and that would do his heart no good.Souness  is definitely credited with being manager for that cup win.I have a video of the match and will get it out one day to verify what I am saying.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #65: Sep 19, 2010 10:03:55 am
      I am sure Souness was at Wembley for the final,in fact I would put my last penny on it.I can recall the commentator saying Souness was getting excited over a decision and that would do his heart no good.Souness  is definitely credited with being manager for that cup win.I have a video of the match and will get it out one day to verify what I am saying.
      You're probably right, I just remember Souness having some kind of heart trouble round that time, and that the doctor had advised him not to go, but nobody would want to miss leading their team out at Wembly.

Quick Reply