Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

LFC, BarCap and Re-Financing

Read 2154 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Sep 17, 2010 10:03:25 pm

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/LFC,-BarCap-and-Re_Financing.html

The Spirit of Shankly Supporters' Union have received information regarding Barclays Capital and the state of Liverpool Football Club's finances over the Summer of 2010. While the original copy document is not in the Union's possession, a full and accurate copy of it has been made.

The document throws up many questions about the public messages coming from Martin Broughton, the Club and Barclays Capital underlining again that Liverpool Football Club teeters on the edge of a financial abyss.

From the documents the Spirit of Shankly have gleaned the following main points:

* Up until at least the beginning of August, if Barcap were indeed serious about seeking a buyer they had also been seeking to re-finance the debt. So much so that they refer to approaching around 25 potential investors.

* The Executive Directors (Broughton, Purslow and Ayre) sought advice from Slaughter and May (a large international legal practice) concerning whether re-financing by RBS should be approved in light of their fiduciary responsibilities. Their duties as Directors are to act in the interests of the club. The club in this instance is Hicks and Gillett. Their appears to be legal argument about how they can act in the best interests of the club and therefore the shareholders, considering the circumstances.

* On the basis of Slaughter and May's advice, BarCap subsequently made an amended re-financing proposal. It is not clear from this document whether that amendment was sufficient for Slaughter and May to have since indicated that the changes were sufficient to allay the Executive Directors' reservations.

* The firms identified as being willing to be involved in re-financing the Club’s debt are identified as FBR, Beach Point, Halcyon, Blackrock, DK Partners, Stonetower, Trimaran, DE Shaw, Avenue, Centrebridge and GSO.

* In the period July to August the Club’s debt was increased in the following sums:

15/07/2010         Ticking Fee: £5.0m

15/08/2010         Ticking Fee: £7.5m

31/08/2010         Ticking Fee: £7.5m

PIK Increase (Aug): £0.8m

Total: £20.8m

* The sum currently required to re-finance the Club is £300m. However, this can be reduced to £187.5m through using the proceeds of a £75m loan to the holding company in Delaware and by rolling £37.5m into the proposed loan for the new stadium. This plan for securing debt against the as yet unbuilt stadium, means should the stadium finally come to fruition, revenue it generates would contribute towards the ownership debt as opposed to its construction.

* FBR propose to lend £75m to Kop Delaware. Delaware is a "deregulated" haven in the USA, along the same lines as Cayman. As such, it would not be unreasonable to think that a similar mechanism to the Kop Cayman loan could take place in due course, i.e. Kop Delaware could "lend" this money to LFC. (FBR is a top ten rated US investment bank)

The questions that this document raises, among others, are:

* Why did Martin Broughton say the club would be sold "before the end of the transfer season" when BarCap were proposing re-financing "solutions" until at least the end of July?

* Did the changes proposed by BarCap , in line with Slaughter & May's advice, sufficiently address the Executive Directors' questions regarding their fiduciary responsibilities, and as a result prevent them from using this argument to continue to stop re-financing?

* In light of the apparent position that the Executive Directors appear to have powers vested in them by means of conditions attached to the RBS debt, what would the position of the Executive Directors be if either or both of the owners could raise sufficient to debt to repay RBS?

* Could they refuse to allow RBS to be repaid? Would RBS accept payment with the result of removing the current powers apparently held by the Executive Directors?

* So, the major question to be answered is are Barcap currently engaged with any prospective buyers or is it pursuing a re-financing or both?

The document is clearly very technical and for Spirit of Shankly members and supporters it is another in a long line of pieces of information that make little sense to the average supporter. We feel it is in supporters' best interests to be aware of this information, and we will endeavour to keep you fully updated of any further developments, along with our plans for action to follow on from recent developments.

The Spirit of Shankly are urging the senior management of LFC to engage with the supporters in using the supporters who are the only solution to this problem. We will be ensuring that those at LFC are fully aware of our views and we will be planning for all potential outcomes.

RBS need to bring this issue to a close as far as they can, without leaving a vacuum behind. They will not be forgiven, after bleeding the Club for two years or more, if they do not also take steps to secure Liverpool Football Club’s long term future.

The Spirit of Shankly has proposed action by supporters following its EGM on the 25th September 2010 .

In addition Spirit of Shankly-Share LiverpoolFC are seeking to engage in the sale process and this information merely underlines again that it is the supporters and only the supporters who can solve this problem.

We urge the Club, RBS and Barclays Capital to recognise our solution and work together to save our Club.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: LFC, BarCap and Re-Financing
      Reply #1: Sep 17, 2010 10:23:32 pm
      Oh dear christ. Talk about digging the whole even deeper. Its the anti Arsenal version of building the stadium. Keeps the owner/s in place and mounts Manchester Unitedesque levels of debt on us in the long run. If this goes through dont expect to see me at Anfield or in a Liverpool Franchise jersey. I will always love Liverpool I will never reward our owners lust for power and greed
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Sep 17, 2010 10:38:48 pm
      This is a F***ing diaster and a sure plan for bankruptcy for the club. I said months and months ago I didn't think the club was for sale and the owners were doing a Mike Ashley on us.

This document supports that view and doesn't show Broughton in a favourable light either. I think the club is looking into the abyss we could not sustain the same debts as Utd.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #3: Sep 17, 2010 10:43:58 pm
      The only point I would like to make is that Broughton said he "HOPED" the club would be sold before the end of the transfer window.

This is one of the reasons I don't like to get involved about anything involving SoS - they have their own agenda, and in its way it is perhaps NOT in the clubs best interests, although I accept that the group appear to have the best interests of the club at heart.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #4: Sep 17, 2010 11:06:31 pm
      Your were sure about Broughton Kenny, it doesn't look good for him at the moment to be honest
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #5: Sep 17, 2010 11:10:43 pm
      Fear not friends all this sh*te is relevent to the failed refinancing bid by the gobshites recently.All I take from this is that their efforts have cost the club another £20million in fees.As we all know the Board decided to block the proposal.What concerns me is that Barcap even considered it,and ffs they are overseeing the proposed "sale" of the club,another shark in wolf's clothing methinks.In the words of the great Jim Royale,"my arse".
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #6: Sep 17, 2010 11:42:31 pm
      Your were sure about Broughton Kenny, it doesn't look good for him at the moment to be honest

Even though he blocked the yanks attempts to mortgage the whole club?

Personally, I think that was a move that proved he isn't in the yanks pockets - I have to admit though, I was gobsmacked that purslime voted on the same lines as Broughton as I thought he was the tumours man through and through.
      The only reasons I can think of, is that Broughton brought some pressure to bear on him OR he really does have our best interests at heart and has simply been misguided or is looking for a power base.

Whatever the reason, Broughton, Ayres and purslime pretty much saved the club by blocking that one, going so far as to take legal advice even though Broughton must have been sure he was within his rights to block the tw*ts.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #7: Sep 18, 2010 04:26:06 pm
      Even though he blocked the yanks attempts to mortgage the whole club?

Personally, I think that was a move that proved he isn't in the yanks pockets - I have to admit though, I was gobsmacked that purslime voted on the same lines as Broughton as I thought he was the tumours man through and through.
      The only reasons I can think of, is that Broughton brought some pressure to bear on him OR he really does have our best interests at heart and has simply been misguided or is looking for a power base.

Whatever the reason, Broughton, Ayres and purslime pretty much saved the club by blocking that one, going so far as to take legal advice even though Broughton must have been sure he was within his rights to block the tw*ts.
      Are you entirely F***ing stupid? How much F***ing proof do you want that these are muppets with Hicks' hands up their arses.
      What have the laughingly called boardroom done to affect anything? Why are the only factor that can affect matters entirely separate from the board i.e. the banks, who can effectively curtail any power the  board purportedly have.
      Events have rounded on your hypothesis and F***ing binned it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Sep 18, 2010 09:05:28 pm
      There should be massive protests arranged for the next couple of home matches with our impending date with destiny October the 6th.

I really hope SOS have something arranged because they have gone very very quiet lately. Are we going to take fu**ed up the arse by Hicks and the banks lying down. Extreme measures are needed now. It is now or never come on SOS we need someone to guide us.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #9: Sep 18, 2010 10:06:32 pm
      Looks like SOS are finally going to back a direct action plan for next two home games. This could finally be the time everyone to fight for our club, I urge everyone to back the union, together we can oust the tumours from LFC.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Sep 18, 2010 11:19:48 pm

I really hope SOS have something arranged because they have gone very very quiet lately. Are we going to take fu**ed up the arse by Hicks and the banks lying down. Extreme measures are needed now. It is now or never come on SOS we need someone to guide us.

The only things SOS have planned is if Hicks & Gillet manage to refinance, talk about too little too late and thats why I'll never be a member of them, they toe the conservative line far too much, especially when there is a greater need to boycott now, not when H&G have gained refinancing it's pathetic if you ask me.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #11: Sep 19, 2010 12:05:42 am
      The only things SOS have planned is if Hicks & Gillet manage to refinance, talk about too little too late and thats why I'll never be a member of them, they toe the conservative line far too much, especially when there is a greater need to boycott now, not when H&G have gained refinancing it's pathetic if you ask me.
      Thank you Red 'They are plotting something agains't the will of us
      ordinary decent hard working fan's'
      Let them show us all their info on the takeover along with their sources?
      nlong
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 19, 2010 02:29:08 am
      Lets fight and save our club. We have 1 month to do it 1 month only. Do everything possible or we we may lose it.  FIGHT!
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #13: Sep 19, 2010 03:32:19 pm
      Lets fight and save our club. We have 1 month to do it 1 month only. Do everything possible or we we may lose it.  FIGHT!

It could be less if rumours of Hicks getting another re-finance deal together is true, October 1st could be the new D-day.

Quick Reply