Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Steven Gerrard
      (79.2%)
      Raul Meireles
      (12.9%)
      Fernando Torres
      (1.1%)
      Christian Poulsen
      (4.5%)
      Joe Cole
      (2.2%)

Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool - In game and post match frustration

Read 79605 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool - In game and post match frustration
      Reply #989: Sep 20, 2010 01:50:25 am
      Comic f**king gold that!

But then again I'm not surprised and I'm not surprised by Roy's response

All he had to do was mention Nani, but can't even do that!

Poor Roy, poor. Defend your own first!!

â€˜Some of my coaches were jumping up and down but I didn’t have a great view. Sir Alex was closer to it.'

The Sir Alex reference sounded more like subtle sarcasm, not ass-kissing.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #990: Sep 20, 2010 02:06:46 am
      red men just one shot on target man utd 7 says it all for me. we look like a bottom six club at the moment. just dont know when we going to turn it around woefull games so far except europa game.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #991: Sep 20, 2010 02:09:51 am
      We just need to win all our matches until the Chelsea match and we'll be back up there. The others are within distance and we've already played city, arsenal and utd. Chelsea are running away already though
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #992: Sep 20, 2010 02:15:00 am
      red men just one shot on target man utd 7 says it all for me. we look like a bottom six club at the moment. just dont know when we going to turn it around woefull games so far except europa game.

Just 5 games in. Already played 3 tough ones. Remember that.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #993: Sep 20, 2010 07:18:01 am
      We were just lackluster as we have been most of the times for the last year or so. If we're depending on refereeing decisions to get a result, it's all totally wrong already. Champions get the result even if things don't go their way. Come on, we scored two goals from set pieces and not from open play. If you ask me, we didn't even deserve two goals.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #994: Sep 20, 2010 07:23:28 am
      To all the cretins here slagging Roy Hodgson off, do you not remember the absolutely horrible, negative football we've been playing for the last 10 years?

Very, very rarely under Rafa or Ged did we actually play any convincing football. It was always pragmatic, defence-first football.

So how-in-the-hell can Roy be expected to transform things overnight? It CANNOT BE DONE!

Also, don't you remember how many times we started a season badly under Rafa and he blamed international breaks, players' lack of fitness and needing time to bed-in new players? And yet somehow Hodgson is expected to ignore all that and produce a miracle in 5 games?

Get a grip on yourselves FFS!

Now, I'm NOT saying Roy is perfect and is NECESSARILY our long term answer but for sure he deserves about 15 league games before we start seriously judging him.

At the risk of being overly optimistic we are still only 3 points off a Champions League place and that is the ABSOLUTE BEST we can hope for with the squad we have. No manager on the planet could win the league, or even come close, with these players. Have you forgotten that Rafa took this squad to the heady heights of 7th last season.

Jeese, I get so angry with some of the garbage that gets spouted on here. Too many people have no sense of perspective on anything.

Rant over! Have a nice day!

Some people on here don't half talk some sh*te !
      In the 10yrs you're talking about us playing Horrible Negative football we won:

2001 F.A.Cup, League Cup, Uefa Cup, Super Cup, Charity Shield.
      2003 League Cup.
      2005 Champions League, Super Cup.
      2006 F.A.Cup, Charity Shield.
      and other semi-finals and runners up.

How the f**k do you win all that at the same tme as playing HORRIBLE NEGATIVE football (Your words not mine !)
      Get  a f**king grip mate we've lost TWO league games against two of the biggest clubs in this country out of 5 league games, a poor start is all it is !
      Its a Marathon not a sprint  !
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2010 07:29:42 am by frizzby5 »
      pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #995: Sep 20, 2010 08:10:25 am
      Utd play it wide and get crosses into the box they have done this for 20 years because thats all Ferguson knows as a manager, he couldnt get tactical if it killed him. All there goals came from that format reason being is we didnt defend the channels well and let scholes put some midfield long passing into the feet of the wide men. We had no penatration what so ever and although we looked to go on the counter attack it failed because the scum controlled the midfield. The formation in my opion was wrong Gerrard was to high up the pitch and although Poulson has experience he is a yard slower for that role, it will take him time to adjust as it does for any player who has played in the italian league(with its slow pace).
      We lacked creatively but having said that we did defend well at times but as you can see the flaws in man to man marking are quite evident, yet none of the pundits seem to pick this up in the way that they critisise zonal marking.(SARCASM) All in all this is not the end of our season we have had to play 3 of the toughest sides in the league so far and we are 5 games in. Also please do remember that Birmingham are a hard nut to crack at home no matter what time of the season it is, so all negativity should really be left and the door. The hard part of our season is now over onward and upward I say fcuk what the media have to say I dont take any notice because 90% of their opions are wrong and often make pathectic reading. We will go from strength to strength now we just need a little run and we will be right back up there, stay positive , support your club, and wear your red whereever you are. YNWA
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Player Ratings
      Reply #996: Sep 20, 2010 08:46:28 am
      Watched the game over here in Australia so i can only comment on what i saw and tele!!

All ratings start at 6

Player Ratings:
      Reina  6 - Solid could do nothing about the first 2 goals but if your being very critical could have came and punched the 3rd one. Overall solid
      Johnson 6 - Again solid but didn't do anything great. Betten by Giggs numours times. Tryed to go forward but could do nothing as Maxi didn't offer anything
      Carragher 5 - The game has changed , its amazing how he was in the England squad for the world cup. Still has something to offer but for the club to go forward must except that he is worse and skrtel and agger. Hes to slow and to small. 3rd goal was his folt.
      Skrtel 5- Not much to comment on except he holds very often. I think he would be much more suited to RCB and having agger next to him
      Konchesky 4.5 - Got better as the game went on but looked out of place. Admire him for always trying but was his folt for the 3rd goal. Misjudged the pass over his head. Wasted some good opportunity's going forward to. Giving him time must improve.

Gerrard 8 - My man, we can always count on him. Looked at home in the central of Midfield, running lots and making some passes. A cool head in midfield. Wonder how Lucas would have gone????? Good free kick and penalty to bring us back in to the game
      Poulsen 6 - Solid , some patchy moments but looks a good squad member. Like Konchesky will take time to get to no the players
      Meireles 6.5 - First start added some quality but still looked out of place playing behind torres . Will become a great player. Pass that lead to free kick outside the box was quality
      Maxi 1 - That's why we got dominated in the first 60 minutes we were playin with 10 men
      Cole 6.5 - We can see he has quality but needs to play through the centre not out wide

Torres 6.5 - Would like to see him pressure the man u defence more often but still that's why you have a world class forward one chance one score. Needs Cole behind him as he was isolated 24/7

Bench

Ngog 6 - Solid , you can see the confidence change as he has score 6 goals this term , has also built up his strength

Jovanovic 6 - Didn't do anythink bad but didn't do anything good but added some fresh legs
      Agger NA

THANKS

Would like to see you comments and other ratings

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #997: Sep 20, 2010 08:55:48 am
      Nando was feeding off scrap.
      Cole was absent.
      Maxi was well marked.
      Konchesky made some important tackles but gave the ball away too much.
      Carra was shown his age.
      Gerrard was the heartbeat.
      Johnson was god awful.

United were average.  Berbatov was excellent.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Re: Player Ratings
      Reply #998: Sep 20, 2010 09:04:53 am
      sorry "kon" was at folt for the 2nd goal not 3rd
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #999: Sep 20, 2010 09:19:50 am
      If we're depending on refereeing decisions to get a result, it's all totally wrong already.

I don't get this attitude at all.  I simply expect the referee to apply the rules of the game fairly, accurately and impartially.  If he did that yesterday, O'Shea would have been off and you don't know what would have happened but her certainly would not have crossed the ball for the winner.

Should we expect to go to Old Trafford and get a result in spite of a biased ref?

Champions get the result even if things don't go their way. Come on, we scored two goals from set pieces and not from open play. If you ask me, we didn't even deserve two goals.

And why did we have those set pieces...? Because Nando was about to score from open play and Utd fouled him rather than let him.  We deserved two goals, no more. 
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1000: Sep 20, 2010 09:21:02 am
      United were average.  Berbatov was excellent.

pretty much
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1001: Sep 20, 2010 09:27:07 am
      Woah.
      Never seen Fergie on such a high as this one.
      Those 4 goals passed them must have really hurt them.

The Chavs have done his head in.
      Hes been chasing us for so long and just as we are self destructing he now has Chelsea and the Eastlands mob to do his head in on.

Lovin it.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #1002: Sep 20, 2010 09:34:27 am
      I don't get this attitude at all.  I simply expect the referee to apply the rules of the game fairly, accurately and impartially.  If he did that yesterday, O'Shea would have been off and you don't know what would have happened but her certainly would not have crossed the ball for the winner.

Should we expect to go to Old Trafford and get a result in spite of a biased ref?

And why did we have those set pieces...? Because Nando was about to score from open play and Utd fouled him rather than let him.  We deserved two goals, no more. 

We hardly, or maybe never created from open play even. Edwin van der Sar did not even touch the ball. The fact is, we just didn't play enough to draw, nevermind win. To be fair, Manchester United could have had some penalties but we were lucky to escape.

I, too, would normally complain about referees when decisions don't go our way but that's when we have put on a good performance, but didn't win it because of some calls the referee got wrong.

What I am trying to say is, if we had played a good game, we probably didn't need to talk about referees. Manchester United weren't exactly at the top but they did bombard our box with crosses and had a few shots.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1003: Sep 20, 2010 09:39:41 am
      The formation in my opion was wrong Gerrard was to high up the pitch

Strange, I saw him sitting deeper with Meireles playing more in the hole.

you can see the flaws in man to man marking are quite evident, yet none of the pundits seem to pick this up in the way that they critisise zonal marking.

The flaw was Konchesky moving off of the post he was supposed to mark.

To be honest, I don't care if we mark man-to-man or zones, as long as we put men on the posts and they stay there.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1004: Sep 20, 2010 09:41:11 am
      Ok,

my thoughts, I waited as I was majorly pissed off, and still am.

With the exception of the 2 set pieces, we were F***ing sh*t!

Its laughable that Gerrard said if we play like this we'll beat a lot of teams...Yeah right! Even West Brom are playing better than us! We're F***ing dire - and if Hicks stays in control we are doomed!

Fair play to Turbatov, good game from him

Nando and the rest need to start picking up - And quickly otherwise we'll struggle to finish top half!
      RedWilly

• 9,202 posts | 1643 
      Reply #1005: Sep 20, 2010 09:42:51 am

To be honest, I don't care if we mark man-to-man or zones, as long as we put men on the posts and they stay there.
      That last goal I think it was, Konchesky is standing behind Reina? I mean, it's pretty simple thing to stay on the post. He stays on that post, and we don't concede, it's that simple. These are pro's, yet they don't seem to be able to do the basics of football that everybody from junior football upwards is taught. Pisses me off.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #1006: Sep 20, 2010 09:43:50 am

Yeah, I think it was Gerrard partnering Poulsen and Meireles in the hole. Didn't quite fancy that. I think Cole in the hole and Meireles partnering Gerrard would be much better.

Well, to be fair to Konchesky, the man marking Berbatov let him get to the ball too easily. I also like the idea of having men at the posts but the only problem with that is, that tends to play most of the oppositions onside. Noticed most oppositions get caught offside when we used zonal marking.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1007: Sep 20, 2010 10:02:22 am
      Well, to be fair to Konchesky, the man marking Berbatov let him get to the ball too easily.

The marking by Torreswas awful, but why was he marking Berbatov anyway?
      However, Konchesky was on the post and bizarrely wandered off behind Reina... I want him to do well and I thought he did alright, but I just can not ignore that.

I also like the idea of having men at the posts but the only problem with that is, that tends to play most of the oppositions onside. Noticed most oppositions get caught offside when we used zonal marking.

Firstly, Berbatov would not have been offside yesterday.  I don't know the statistics but I would wager that more goals are scored directly from a corner than from a situation were it is knocked forward and the player could be given offside.
      Secondly, you are counting on the linesman giving players offside, sadly that is a risky strategy.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,144 posts | 2743 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1008: Sep 20, 2010 10:03:48 am
      Utd play it wide and get crosses into the box they have done this for 20 years because thats all Ferguson knows as a manager, he couldnt get tactical if it killed him.

If what you say is true then surely the best managers in the country would of picked up on this? wouldn't you agree? How is it possible for United to be the most successful side in the last 20 years winning more trophies than any other club? You comments don't make any sense at all  :-\
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1009: Sep 20, 2010 10:06:36 am
      That last goal I think it was, Konchesky is standing behind Reina? I mean, it's pretty simple thing to stay on the post. He stays on that post, and we don't concede, it's that simple. These are pro's, yet they don't seem to be able to do the basics of football that everybody from junior football upwards is taught. Pisses me off.

First goal, from the corner.  Konchesky was off the pitch when the third goal went in
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1010: Sep 20, 2010 10:08:11 am
      How is it possible for United to be the most successful side in the last 20 years winning more trophies than any other club? You comments don't make any sense at all  :-\

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,144 posts | 2743 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1011: Sep 20, 2010 10:12:46 am
      Nice one TKIDLLTK   :lmao:

Quick Reply