Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Amongst the worst set of players ever

Read 15115 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Amongst the worst set of players ever
      Reply #161: Oct 04, 2010 08:58:11 am
      Difference is, we have a toxic manager, toxic board and debts, and a "business" that is dying.

Liverpool as a 'business' is certainly not dying, in fact we'd be one of the most successful, profitable clubs - if we were not drowning in the toxic debt of our toxic owners.  Take out the interest payments on THEIR loan and Liverpool is in profit (genuine commercial profit, not talking asset-stripping player sales)
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #162: Oct 04, 2010 09:32:52 am
      our first team is good as individual players. how can you count a bunch of seasoned internationals as 'the worst' for a long time? reina, torres, gerrard, cole, johnson, miereles, kuyt, skrtl, agger - all automatic first choice for their national teams as the worst for a long time?

the problem isn't individuals, the problem is individuals who can't play as a team and are not performing to their usual standards. that's a number of reasons. the manager and his tactics, lack of motivation from the players, off the field problems...you name it.

it doesn't surprise me that the yanks (who I have a passionate hatred for) have driven the club to where we are now. it was them who got rid of our world class manager, it was them who destablised the club to this extent and brought us to our knees with gross mis-management, under investment, lies and borderline corruption.

is it the worst set of players in a long time? no, of course not. is it the worst performing team since souness? on the basis of the season so far...f*ck yes.

and it makes me very, very sad :(
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #163: Oct 04, 2010 10:26:18 am
      Liverpool as a 'business' is certainly not dying, in fact we'd be one of the most successful, profitable clubs - if we were not drowning in the toxic debt of our toxic owners.  Take out the interest payments on THEIR loan and Liverpool is in profit (genuine commercial profit, not talking asset-stripping player sales)

Its true that revenue has been climbing obscenely highly ( due to new TV deals and the growing Asian market). But the greed and hubris of the fraudsters is clouding their grip of reality. NO CL football, diehard fans who utterly HATE the company. And new rivals.

The football club has gone down. I'd be happy to see this sick "sports franchise" go down too. Atleast we can then rebuild.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #164: Oct 04, 2010 12:58:35 pm
      Everyone can agree that players such as Konchesky, Poulsen, Aurelio, Maxi, Jovanovic, Luxas, Spearing, Babel, N'gog, Srktel are not going to win us leagues. Now I do rate some of these players and could very well prove to become very good squad members or develop into good first-team players. IMO Lucas, Babel, N'gog, Strktel should be kept. only Maxi and Jovanovic could go on to prove themselves. Pouslen and Konchesky have to be 2 of the worst Liverpool signings of our generation, if not the worst.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #165: Oct 04, 2010 03:13:05 pm
      What u might be forgetting is that Case and Lee were fu**ed off to Brighton and Spain when they were still fairly young. Kuyt gets to a World Cup final at an experienced age. Kuyt is a very good player, but no more. I see him as a "poor man's Tevez". Used the right way, he's a good addition to a good squad.
      Lee was sh*te after Souness left. Case couldnt even get in a crap England team, great fan  of his style tho I was. Kuyt is a signif better player than both.

Difference is, we have a toxic manager, toxic board and debts, and a "business" that is dying.
      Case had Bob Paisley and a board with integrity.Oh, and a football club.

Case was sold because of constantly getting up to mischief with Ray Kennedy. Both of them were sold in the space of 12 months. Also Sammy Lee was breaking through into the side so it was easier for Paisley to sell Jimmy.

As for Lee he was sold to QPR (not Spain) when our midfield consisted of Molby, McMahon, Whelan and Johnston with Wark and MacDonald as the bit part players. Sammy was also injured a fair bit during his final few years with the club.

Now for the international stage, that's a sh*t excuse. Ian Callaghan only made for appearances for England, doesn't mean a thing. Tommy Smith got one cap, doesn't mean a thing. Ray Clemence couldn't hold down the number 1 shirt for the national team on a regular basis, doesn't mean a thing. Especially when you consider Geoff Thomas played more times for England than Cally as did Darren Anderton, Steve Hodge and David Bentley.

And most people would actually have Elia and Robben on the flanks for the Dutch national side. Kuyt is in the side both at club and country for his work rate and nothing more. He's a very limited footballer.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #166: Oct 04, 2010 05:59:57 pm
      I don't care about internation appearances, experience, former clubs or anything. I want fight, grit and desire. I want a team.

We won't win every game but I'll be a satisfied person in a way if we just fight to the end in every game. There are limitations in this squad yes but at the end of the day if you try hard enough and apply yourself correctly you'll win more than you'll lose. And that's true with us. The ability is there in this squad. But the F***ing effort and desire for the club isn't. Yesterday when we went one down I wanted to see us fighting, increasing the tempo and helping each other out. I wanted support when an attack went down. I wanted desire to win it back. But there's none of that. They can do it. We know that.

It's time for the lot of them to step up. Because if we do get new owners soon with a new manager they'll probably be a hell of a lot more ruthless in getting rid of the underperformers.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #167: Oct 04, 2010 06:10:34 pm
      Yes, the squad have been lacking desire, determination and passion in majority of their matches for the last 18 months.

This season, we have seen a few times where they've started to show some of those when we're chasing the game. This isn't good enough. They have to be doing it from the start of the game, to the end.

Whether it's because of certain players starting or whatever, it's simply unexplainable to why they can be more of an attacking thread in the second half or when they are behind and not from the start!

It has come down to a point where I don't see us being the 'Comeback Kings' anymore when we are behind in games. They need to take a look at themselves in 2008/2009. Even though we're not the strongest of squads, it was the qualities they have failed to show over the past so many months that brought us to second place.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #168: Oct 05, 2010 02:08:25 am
      The side is sh*t.

We have three world class players and two of them haven't looked right for 18 months. The rest are overrated who look good once every couple of months. I said in the summer if we had a mass exodus I wouldn't lose any sleep and right now I'm losing sleep at the thought of;

Jones, Johnson, Skrtel, Aurelio, Konchesky, Lucas, Kuyt, Poulsen, Babel, Maxi, Jovanovich representing my club.

That's not even a good set of back up players, and most of them are start week in week out injuries permitting. That's a sorry state of affairs for my club.

Well DLS, the truth is you will not find a premiership team made up of strictly world-class players. Our club just seem to be in the dirt right now. We were beaten at home by a small team.

Did you notice the hunger in the eyes of that that striker DJ 'Whatever'? He was blood-thirsty! That is the mentality-type strikers & attackers should carry.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2010 02:20:40 am by solodee »
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #169: Oct 05, 2010 08:17:26 am
      Case was sold because of constantly getting up to mischief with Ray Kennedy. Both of them were sold in the space of 12 months. Also Sammy Lee was breaking through into the side so it was easier for Paisley to sell Jimmy.

As for Lee he was sold to QPR (not Spain) when our midfield consisted of Molby, McMahon, Whelan and Johnston with Wark and MacDonald as the bit part players. Sammy was also injured a fair bit during his final few years with the club.

Now for the international stage, that's a sh*t excuse. Ian Callaghan only made for appearances for England, doesn't mean a thing. Tommy Smith got one cap, doesn't mean a thing. Ray Clemence couldn't hold down the number 1 shirt for the national team on a regular basis, doesn't mean a thing. Especially when you consider Geoff Thomas played more times for England than Cally as did Darren Anderton, Steve Hodge and David Bentley.

And most people would actually have Elia and Robben on the flanks for the Dutch national side. Kuyt is in the side both at club and country for his work rate and nothing more. He's a very limited footballer.

You basically give the answer yourself. If Case and Lee weren' considered special for the Liverpool team, they weren't particularly special players. And you complain Kuyt is "just workrate", well what the hell were Case and Lee? Kuyt also has strength and a fair level of finishing.

In the Lee era, clubs were limited to a set number of foreigners, and the financial situatioon of clubs was different. Nowadays the big clubs can scour the world for talent. Lee and Case would have hardly stood a chance today.
       Kuyt isnt a worldclass player, but used in the right way he's a good one. Way better than Case and Lee.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #170: Oct 06, 2010 03:56:14 pm
      We have some world class players...Pepe, Stevie and Nando, some good players....Cole, Agger, Kuyt, Meireles and some great potiential in Pacheco, Ngog and Kelly. The jury is still out on Jova and Konchesky for me while Poulsen looks like one of the worst signings in our history and has given nothing to suggest he will improve.

Thats a base for a good team, add to that Johnson (if played right midfield) and Carra and its not as bad as some are suggesting.

Im not saying there's not major work to be done but with the right man in charge there's more than enough there to get started with.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #171: Oct 07, 2010 02:44:29 am
      You basically give the answer yourself. If Case and Lee weren' considered special for the Liverpool team, they weren't particularly special players. And you complain Kuyt is "just workrate", well what the hell were Case and Lee? Kuyt also has strength and a fair level of finishing.

In the Lee era, clubs were limited to a set number of foreigners, and the financial situatioon of clubs was different. Nowadays the big clubs can scour the world for talent. Lee and Case would have hardly stood a chance today.
       Kuyt isnt a worldclass player, but used in the right way he's a good one. Way better than Case and Lee.

I never said Case or Lee were extra special players but they were better players than Dirk Kuyt for the simple fact that they had the work rate Kuyt does yet had an end product as well. Plus both players knew the way to attack - forward not backwards.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #172: Oct 07, 2010 04:38:50 pm
      Poulsen is looking very poor. Maxi is letting me down, as I thought he was a great player.

Babel has let us all down, cos he has some talent. But Attitude is shocking. He will be gone January !
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #173: Oct 07, 2010 06:34:54 pm
      Before anyone reads this, it is all dependent on us being sold to NESV, and them supplying substantial funds to revamp the team.  That being said, I completely disagree with the idea that this is "among the worst set of players"..... we only need to tweak a little here and there and we can be world beaters again!

I think we could be great again if we make 6 sales, and sign 6 top class players.  It will require a good bit of investment, as opposed to shopping in the bargain bin like we have been.  I think it could cost as little as 60 million or as much as 120 million to turn us back into a team capable of challenging on all fronts. 

If we sell Sotis, Skrtel, Aurelio, Poulsen, Babel, and Maxi we could raise roughly 20 million.  Add to that the 15 million from the eventual sale of Aquilani to Juve at the end of the season, and we have already made a sizeable dent in the amount of investment required to take us back to the top. 

We need 1 boss CB (ex: Gary Cahill/Per Mertesaker/Brede Hangeland) to compete with Agger and Carra.... bring Ayala back in January, and him and Wilson will be backup. 

We need a boss LB (ex:  I love Phillip Lahm, but he seems unrealistic, so I would settle for Juan Vargas/Aly Cissokho). 

We would need a solid holding/deep lying creative CM--hopefully someone who can both pick a pass and put in a tackle (ex: Ever Banega/Scott Parker/Daniel De Rossi/Bastian Schweinsteiger)

We need 2 top class wingers--players who naturally want to stay wide and provide us with width (ex: Arda Turan/Juan Mata/Alanzinho/Jesus Navas/Marko Marin/Eden Hazard).

Finally, we need another top class striker to provide cover for Torres when injured, and also be a good partner for Torres when fit (ex: Fernando Llorente/Gonzalo Higuain/Lisandro Lopez/Sergio "Kun" Aguero)

Realistically, this cannot all be accomplished this January.  So, I would prioritize the CM, two wingers, and 1 striker for January.  This would roughly end up costing us 60-80 million depending on the players brought in, but would be softened by the money brought in by selling Poulsen, Maxi, and Babel.  Then in the summer sell off Sotis, Skrtel, and Aurelio and bring in a boss LB and CB. 

From there we would be sorted.  We would just need to focus on bringing in one top player a year to improve the team and continue investing in young talent that will keep us within the bounds of the new quota system for the future.  I really think Suso, Pacheco, and Shelvey can all be stars in a few years.  I also think Eccleston, Ince, Amoo, and Kelly are all solid prospects. 

Hopefully the sale gets sorted out before the Oct 15th deadline, and we can start looking forward to better performances on the pitch, and making some key signings once January rolls around! 

YNWA
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #174: Oct 07, 2010 06:53:43 pm
      Oh, and my preferred signings (listed above) would be:  Cahill, Cissokho, De Rossi, Mata, Hazard, and Aguero :)

Quick Reply