Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Amongst the worst set of players ever

Read 15117 times
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Re: Amongst the worst set of players ever
      Reply #23: Sep 23, 2010 07:03:33 pm
      When did we last really dominate a team for 90 minutes and i mean really dominate.
      Not go one up and sit back and defend, i mean go on to score 3 , 4 or 5 and really kill off a team and rub their noses in it.

Its performances that humiliate another team that puts fear into your next oponents and in my opinion, nobody fears playing us anymore because they believe they always have a chance.

When we take the lead , that should be the first step in a performance, not the finish.
      The mentality of not killing off the opposition in a game seems non existant.
       I have heard several comments by other managers that all basically say that we only play for 10 minutes in a game of 90.
      I think this is the problem running through the team.

The attitude that Steve or nando will do something special and win the game is wrong
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #24: Sep 23, 2010 07:07:49 pm
      Reina keep he's a legend in the making.
      Jones wont get many games see above.

Carra keep but bench time fella.
      Skrtel keep needs time alongside Agger
      Agger keep needs time along side Skrtel.
      Wilson keep one for the future.
      Johnson Keep
      Kelly keep one for the future, maybe even the immediate one.
      Aurelio gone at the end of the season.
      Konchesky keep but as a back up left back

Jova headless chicken on so fars showing up the ante or sell in the summer and take a profit.
      Babel January can't come soon enough free up funds for a Striker.
      Meireles not seen enough of him to form an opinion one way or another.
      Gerrard Keep
      Lucas keep as squad player. (Not first choice midfielder)
      Poulson sell January/next summer.
      Shevley keep one for the future.
      Maxi  sell next summer/January I'd take a profit on him for proper wingers
      Kuyt sell next summer/january as above.

N'Gog keep as 3rd choice striker.
      Torres Keep.

Thats my opinion.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Sep 23, 2010 07:09:41 pm
      I wouldn't trust Hodgson with money either whoever was targetting Carlton Cole needs there head examined.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #26: Sep 23, 2010 09:07:44 pm
      Same here, I'd think about Ngog and Jova aswell.

Lucas and Kuyt are a rare breed of Liverpool player at the moment - they give 100% and you can tell they're arsed about the club.

That counts for nothing if they aren't any good. Jimmy Tarbuck is "arsed about the club" but I wouldn't want him in the team either!

To be fair to Lucas, he's being judged as a holding midfielder when he's actually an attacking midfielder, so until such a time might come when he fails as an attacking midfielder all blame for his performances should lie squarely on the shoulders of the clueless managers who play him week in-week out, out of position.
      Arguably, you could say the same applies to Kuyt being played out of position but he failed miserably when playing in his FAVOURED position of striker.

But if we did get rid of that list of underperformers, who'd be left?!?! The youngsters that most people on here keep raving about have proved beyond doubt that they aren't up to the job of premiership football.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #27: Sep 23, 2010 09:29:11 pm
      Let's take a moment to llok away at the manager and owners blame games. I feel there is no doubt about it. This Liverpool FC squad is without doubt the worst we've had to experience in a very long time. In fact it's probably worse than half of those Spice Boys back in the mid nineties. This is not an excuse Roy Hodgson article from last nights shambles. He has his errors but the fact of the matter is any Liverpool team should be comfortably beating League 2 opposition at Anfield regardless of who's coaching on the sidelines.

Take David N'Gog for example. You may be shocked to see I am laying into him but I have no doubts that this guy will not make it all. A few goals against never heard of opposition doesn't justify a decent reputation at a club like Liverpool. His overall play bar his finishing (at times) is so average that it is an absolute mockery that this guy is second in line behind Torres.

Is it any wonder why this guy was being courted by West Brom? He is probably not even good enough to play for West Brom's first team. After all - his goals for Liverpool are not exactly ones of supreme brilliance, rather mere tap ins. N'Gog is a fine reference to judge Liverpool during this dire period in the clubs history. Buying the likes of ex German league rejects or clueless Danish reserves from Italy is just a shocking transfer record for this club. It's incredible the club has the likes of a few gems remain at this club.

How old is Ngog again 20?

Ngog represents a bright future for the club. Some of his goals have been amazing; The recent goal against Arsenal was good.

I think any loss of hope about the team will have to be after the next 5 games really. This is still the team that came second two seasons ago; as we have added quality replacements for Alonso, Benayoun and Mascherano.

The team must have its day in court with the new manager. Nuff said.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #28: Sep 23, 2010 09:33:44 pm
      the spine of our team really is pretty good: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Gerrard, Torres with pretty decent first teamers like Carra, Srktel, Meireles and Kuyt. the 'kids/future' looks pretty decent too: Kelly, Ayala, Wilson, Lucas, Pacheco,Babel, Ngog. Obviously the 'kids/future' wont win us leagues right now but could be very very importnant in years to come.

Players like Konchesky, Poulsen, Maxi, Jovanovic are not Liverpool standard and will not improve to be, they are the slide down rather than improving.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #29: Sep 23, 2010 09:43:20 pm
      the spine of our team really is pretty good: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Gerrard, Torres with pretty decent first teamers like Carra, Srktel, Meireles and Kuyt. the 'kids/future' looks pretty decent too: Kelly, Ayala, Wilson, Lucas, Pacheco,Babel, Ngog. Obviously the 'kids/future' wont win us leagues right now but could be very very importnant in years to come.

Players like Konchesky, Poulsen, Maxi, Jovanovic are not Liverpool standard and will not improve to be, they are the slide down rather than improving.

Joe Cole?

The problem with us fans is we admire players from afar; when they come to the club, they're suddenly crap. When Rafa tried to seal the Jovanovic deal, we were all excited. He has been okay so far, but now, not good enough. Poulsen has played in how many games? yet he is crap?

The Gerrard free kick at Old Trafford was more amazing because of the brilliant act by Miereles - New. We all love Pacheco who openly claimed he learnt a lot from the oft criticized Benayoun. Ngog has one of the best footwork in the team; next to Torres; and Babel is one player, after Torres , that takes on defenders and actually beats them.

We need a manager that can use players well. What we have can rival any team in the premiership. We just don't see it.
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2010 09:55:45 pm by solodee »
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #30: Sep 23, 2010 09:52:16 pm
      We do have some decent players but by the time we get a team built around them they will be too old ! the kids have got to get some game time together in matches because they are the future of this club,maybe we need a hardline coach that will take no nonsense from players that sometimes have the 'can't be arsed ' attitude and get all our players reading  from the same page ,too many times the ball comes from the back with pace and then slows down giving the opposition chances ,Babel is not going to make it in the premiership so i feel he must be sold asap !
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #31: Sep 23, 2010 11:06:24 pm
      I disagree, the problem is we're using good "back up/squad players/fringe players" in the first team because the lack of investment is really starting to show now.  Say, if we picked up Henry or someone similar to play backup to Nando and occasionally employed him on the left or right wing in a more attack-minded setup and kept N'Gog as 3rd string.  Would anyone honestly complain?

Konchesky and Aurelio(only because of his fitness levels) can both share the 2nd choice fullback position.  Hardly first teamers though.  Poulsen and Lucas could both fight it to play the backup DM role if we had kept Masch, I wouldn't be complaining.  If Babel and Jova both played second fiddle to Arda Turan?

I realise my squad would be too large if we had all these players but you get the point I'm making.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #32: Sep 24, 2010 07:46:49 am
      Reina keep he's a legend in the making.
      Jones wont get many games see above.

Carra keep but bench time fella.
      Skrtel keep needs time alongside Agger
      Agger keep needs time along side Skrtel.
      Wilson keep one for the future.
      Johnson Keep
      Kelly keep one for the future, maybe even the immediate one.
      Aurelio gone at the end of the season.
      Konchesky keep but as a back up left back

Jova headless chicken on so fars showing up the ante or sell in the summer and take a profit.
      Babel January can't come soon enough free up funds for a Striker.
      Meireles not seen enough of him to form an opinion one way or another.
      Gerrard Keep
      Lucas keep as squad player. (Not first choice midfielder)
      Poulson sell January/next summer.
      Shevley keep one for the future.
      Maxi  sell next summer/January I'd take a profit on him for proper wingers
      Kuyt sell next summer/january as above.

N'Gog keep as 3rd choice striker.
      Torres Keep.

Thats my opinion.

nearly fully agree bar Jova. Think he will become a cult figure for us. apart from that your bang on mate.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #33: Sep 24, 2010 08:32:45 am
      nearly fully agree bar Jova. Think he will become a cult figure for us. apart from that your bang on mate.

I agree about Jova.. No way am I writing this guy off yet!!! He's been here 5 minutes playing in a underconfident side and although he like ALL the players havnt been at his best, he's still provided 100% with regards to energy..  Once this lad settles i've got a feeling "The Serbian Hitman" will come good..
      ashuras
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #34: Sep 24, 2010 08:59:11 am
      Why slag Jovanovic?.. We are playing him out of his natural position, what can we expect?.. His position is striker.. STRIKER.. And we plays Babel and Ngog upfront.. why not try Jovanovic?.. And I did not expect him to turn down Real Madrid offer while in Belgium..
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: Sep 24, 2010 09:07:17 am
      I don't think Jovanovic has been that bad. He only came in the summer and seems to be strong and fast. Doesn't know what to do with the ball most of the times after running with it, though.
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #36: Sep 24, 2010 09:32:14 am
      Joe Cole?

The problem with us fans is we admire players from afar; when they come to the club, they're suddenly crap. When Rafa tried to seal the Jovanovic deal, we were all excited. He has been okay so far, but now, not good enough. Poulsen has played in how many games? yet he is crap?

The Gerrard free kick at Old Trafford was more amazing because of the brilliant act by Miereles - New. We all love Pacheco who openly claimed he learnt a lot from the oft criticized Benayoun. Ngog has one of the best footwork in the team; next to Torres; and Babel is one player, after Torres , that takes on defenders and actually beats them.

We need a manager that can use players well. What we have can rival any team in the premiership. We just don't see it.

Sorry but that is momumentally ridiculous. I have nothing but comtempt for the excuse of a manager Woy Hodgson. But we are nowhere near the top teams in terms of squad quality. NOWHERE NEAR AT ALL.

Now if we'd have been able to replace the asset stripped players, and replaced the ageing players etc, every year, then we'd have a chance for the CL, with a genius like Rafa.
      If we'd been given say 50m of the 120 or so m that was stolen from us, then yes Rafa could have won the Lge -building from the magnificent 2nd he got with those resources

But most of those players left are free, cheap or crap. And it wasnt Rafa's fault.
      RedtillDead
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #37: Sep 24, 2010 09:43:23 am
      I like Jovanovic's attitude, he seems to be a hard worker and may provide good support coming from the bench every now and again..

I feel really sorry for Babel, because no one can say that he wasn't putting in the effort against Northampton.... it just wasn't happening for him.
      It's almost like he is over-thinking everything, rather than relaxing.. but I guess it's difficult to relax when you know your every touch is being scrutinised.
       I still hope that his natural talent will shine through, but I fear he's carrying so much baggage now and that he'll need a change of club to become the player most of us know he has the potential to be.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #38: Sep 24, 2010 09:47:20 am
      No having Kuyt slagged off, we are missing him something awful just now.

Babel has to go !

Lucas need's to play further forward.

Agree about teh defence, I would liek to see Carra at RB, and Dagger & Skirtel the 1st choice centre backs. Move Johnson to RW. Push Kuyt up with Torres, Play cole on the left with Gerrard & Raul M in the middle.

I would also play Kelly at RB.

----------- Reina ---------------
      - Carra - Skirtel - Dagger - Kelly -
      - Johnson - Gerrard - Raul.M - Cole -
      --------- Kuyt - Torres ----------

That would be my 1st choice, bench then made up of
      :- Jones, Wilson, Darby, Lucas, Jova, Pacheco, ngog

We can't buy quality for the fringe players, we have no money, we have had no money for 3 seasons now! 2008 was the last season Rafa spent any decent money.

TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #39: Sep 24, 2010 09:53:38 am

I'd agree with everything in your list there, except this.  I fail to see what he has done at right-back to justify a place in the side, if we can make any money back on him we'd be mad not to take advantage and put the money to good use.  Kelly is a better right-back.  I'd try Johnson at right-wing before I sold him though.

Kuyt, I'd generally keep, I'd only sell him to get a proper winger as you said.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #40: Sep 24, 2010 09:56:05 am
      I'm one of the biggest critics of the asset-stripping that has been going on for a few seasons now.

But I wouldn't go as far to say this is our worst team for a while.

We may indeed have a paper thin on quality squad, but our first XI should be capable of doing much better than they are.

There was huge underperformance last season and they have started this season in a similar vein.  When the confidence returns to the supporters and the club, and hopefully we begin to reinvest in players then I'm convinced things will improve.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #41: Sep 24, 2010 10:04:29 am
      Don't agree with the OP, take one asset stripper, mix in a crap manager (rh), sprinkle a little news international and sky dust over the top and voila u get the mess that is Liverpool.

This is a good squad that is capable of top 4 with a class manager, and it was top 4. We started to strip the squad, reduced investment and went on a media witch hunt of our manager. Paul Tomkins has some amazing stats on Rafa's reign I would advise all to read. We had one bad season a few bought the crap spilling out of the filth box, shame on u.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #42: Sep 24, 2010 10:28:23 am
      I feel really sorry for Babel, because no one can say that he wasn't putting in the effort against Northampton.... it just wasn't happening for him.
      It's almost like he is over-thinking everything, rather than relaxing.. but I guess it's difficult to relax when you know your every touch is being scrutinised.
       I still hope that his natural talent will shine through, but I fear he's carrying so much baggage.

He knows he has something to prove this season and your right, it did look to me like he was trying at least.. The problem is, the team as a whole are under performing too.. If and when the team starts to play better and Ryan is still poor I'd say "fairy muff" lets get rid.. I still think its unfair to make certain players the scapegoat when the whole team AND manager have been under par..

I'd agree with everything in your list there, except this.  I fail to see what he has done at right-back to justify a place in the side, if we can make any money back on him we'd be mad not to take advantage and put the money to good use.  Kelly is a better right-back.  I'd try Johnson at right-wing before I sold him though.

*sighs*...
      What a whopper of a statement that is... That's like saying swap Torres for Pacheco.. Get a grip... Swap an England international with a rookie youngster with no experience and half the skill while ruining his progress?
      Nobodies saying he shouldn't get games but suggesting he's ripe for Johnsons replacement right now is ridiculous..

I'm one of the biggest critics of the asset-stripping that has been going on for a few seasons now.

But I wouldn't go as far to say this is our worst team for a while.

We may indeed have a paper thin on quality squad, but our first XI should be capable of doing much better than they are.

There was huge underperformance last season and they have started this season in a similar vein.  When the confidence returns to the supporters and the club, and hopefully we begin to reinvest in players then I'm convinced things will improve.

This...

Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #43: Sep 24, 2010 10:35:15 am
      Joe Cole?

That's a brilliant post mate, just what I was thinking.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #44: Sep 24, 2010 10:50:14 am
      This is a good squad that is capable of top 4 with a class manager, and it was top 4.

It was top four.  Then the stripping started.  It fell to seventh, then the stripping hit full gear.

Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and City all have better squads than we do - and that is without the off the field distractions.
      Villa will fall by the wayside this year, but Spurs' squad is comparable to ours, if anything they have more strength in depth.  Their defence is not as strong, but their striking options absolutely put us to shame.  The midfields are probably similar in terms of quality - again they have better bench players.

I don't think we have the worst set ever of players ever, but I do not remember a Liverpool team that did not have one of the best five squads in the PL.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #45: Sep 24, 2010 10:52:08 am
      What a whopper of a statement that is... That's like saying swap Torres for Pacheco.. Get a grip... Swap an England international with a rookie youngster with no experience and half the skill while ruining his progress?
      Nobodies saying he shouldn't get games but suggesting he's ripe for Johnsons replacement right now is ridiculous..

Torres has proven he is an amazing striker, replacing him with a kid who may one day reach his heights would be stupid.  Johnson, however, can't defend and whilst he may not have Johnson's attacking ability, Kelly can at least defend, the minimum I expect of a right back.

Quick Reply