Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Graham Poll is a tool

Read 2772 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Graham Poll is a tool
      Sep 22, 2010 09:34:44 am
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1313553/Graham-Poll-We-need-ruthless-refs-time-really-laughing-matter.html

Poll's only comment on Sunday's game is that Konchesky should have been booked for a 5th minute challenge on Nani.
      No mention of Nani's play-acting and constant diving, no mention of a blatant red card not issued. Tool.
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010 11:27:03 am by JD, Reason: Topic title \'sanitised\' »
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Graham Poll is a knob
      Reply #1: Sep 22, 2010 09:40:14 am
      In relation, to the thread title, "You only just figured that out" ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,336 posts | 2775 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2: Sep 22, 2010 09:52:05 am
      I sent a small article to the Liverpool Echo about Sir Alex & Nani but it doesn't look like there printing it  :-\. They must think i'm a scouser in disguise  :D. I'm hoping with JDs approval i can start a thread up about it. Waiting for a reply at the moment  :)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Sep 22, 2010 09:56:33 am
      Ask any Aussie who watched Australia v Croatia at the '06 World Cup - we F***ing know! :D

He gave 3 yellow cards to one player!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Sep 22, 2010 10:51:50 am
      I sent a small article to the Liverpool Echo about Sir Alex & Nani but it doesn't look like there printing it  :-\. They must think i'm a scouser in disguise  :D. I'm hoping with JDs approval i can start a thread up about it. Waiting for a reply at the moment  :)

Just start the thread in the general football forum Keith, its what its there for.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #5: Sep 22, 2010 11:06:05 am
      ;D graham poll has been a to$$er for years. the only ref who is less competent than this bellend is mr rob styles.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Graham Poll is a tool
      Reply #6: Sep 22, 2010 02:01:10 pm
      Ask any Aussie who watched Australia v Croatia at the '06 World Cup - we F***ing know! :D

He gave 3 yellow cards to one player!
      And he missed a blatent foul on Viduka in the box by the same player.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #7: Sep 22, 2010 02:02:16 pm
      In relation, to the thread title, "You only just figured that out" ;D

;D, nah, it clicked last year when he said Mascherano didn't foul Nani in the box, but who cares we deserved to get beat anyway.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Sep 27, 2010 08:40:48 am
      Graham Poll thinks Gerrard should have been sent off

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315436/Graham-Poll-Bungler-Stuart-Attwell-break-latest-blunder.html?

[The other incident Attwell got wrong was Gerrard's elbow on Welbeck, which was a clear red-card offence. Again, Attwell didn't see it but he should have admitted that and not punished Gerrard at all - that way it could have been dealt with retrospectively.
      There is no shame in admitting you don't see something. Referees are only human, after all. But by giving a yellow card, Attwell was suggesting he had seen the offence and it was only worth a caution.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #9: Sep 27, 2010 10:00:30 am
      No way it was a red card, there was no intent, he was jumping for the ball with a leading arm, not swinging elbow. The ref did not even give a foul at first.  Maybe you could make the argument that it was dangerous play, akin to foot-high, but no way was it a clear red.

This is what the laws of the game state:
      (http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/Get%20into%20Football/Referees/LOTG201011.ashx/LOTG201011.pdf)

Sending-off offences
      A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the
      following seven offences:
      • serious foul play
      • violent conduct
      • spitting at an opponent or any other person
      • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity
      by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within
      his own penalty area)
      • denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving
      towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a
      penalty kick
      • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
      • receiving a second caution in the same match

The only ones that potentially come into play are serious foul play or violent conduct.  Gerrard's elbow on Welbeck was neither.  (Though his strike on Michael Brown last year was both :D)

As for the first goal, Poll says that the ref got it right to the letter of the law, but was still somehow wrong for not using 'common sense'? What should he have done? Stopped the game? For what reason?  'Common sense' is shorthand for "there is no rational or logical reason for this to be the case, but I feel like it should be so therefore it must."  It was a freak goal but it was scored within the laws of the game! Unlike the beach-ball goal, which wasn't.  I'd have been livid if it was scored against Liverpool, but it was not the ref's fault.

Why didn't he comment on the first goal?  I checked the Laws of the Game regarding offside, it says nothing really just your basic definition -

Offside position
      It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.
      A player is in an offside position if:
      • he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
      second-last opponent
      A player is not in an offside position if:
      • he is in his own half of the field of play or
      • he is level with the second-last opponent or
      • he is level with the last two opponents

However, "level" is not defined that I can find.  Was he "nearer" the goal? Well, part of his shoulder might have been but his feet and most of his body were not.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #10: Sep 27, 2010 11:38:03 am
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315533/GRAHAM-POLL-Until-Steven-Gerrard-start-showing-Respect-FA-fighting-losing-battle.html

Now he is having a go at players swearing at referees and the only player he picks out is Gerrard?  F**k off.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #11: Sep 27, 2010 01:20:36 pm
      Yeah everybody should be like Rooney and Terry
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #12: Sep 27, 2010 01:20:55 pm
      That shows what kind of a referee he is? Sub-standard? The FA should give him a RED CARD and relegate him to referee 2nd division games until he knows how to behave himself.

Quick Reply