Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

If Not Roy Then Who? (Wild speculation about next boss)

Read 151627 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Re: If Not Roy Then Who? (Wild speculation about next boss)
      Reply #2185: Jan 06, 2011 11:39:24 pm
      Possibly because he's divisive.  I'd fear for his sanity, the way he's treated by the press & he caught a split amongst the fans as well, though I've never seen a poll that wasn't between 70-80% in favour of Rafa in his time here.

My take on rafa not being considered signals to one thing and that is rafa weilds to much fan power for the owners,media and ex players
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #2186: Jan 06, 2011 11:41:32 pm
      one Roy out, one Roy in. Roy Keane sacked from Ipswich apparently.

obviously I'm joking, he has been sacked though I think.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #2187: Jan 06, 2011 11:45:55 pm
      Probably time for another poll.Who would you like to see as our next permanant Boss?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2188: Jan 06, 2011 11:48:24 pm
      The list is too long for that poll. I think it's a shame Deschamps has ruled himself out.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2189: Jan 06, 2011 11:50:28 pm
      Probably time for another poll.Who would you like to see as our next permanant Boss?

It's a twisted one, I'd love to see Rafa back, but I'd fear for his sanity and so on the other hand I wouldn't want him back....
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #2190: Jan 06, 2011 11:50:44 pm

Rafa benitez with thommos as his number 2 & sami hyypia on the coaching staff.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #2191: Jan 06, 2011 11:51:52 pm
      It's a twisted one, I'd love to see Rafa back, but I'd fear for his sanity and so on the other hand I wouldn't want him back....

Disagree,i feel for the sanity of his haters.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #2192: Jan 06, 2011 11:54:10 pm
      Rafa benitez with thommos as his number 2 & sami hyypia on the coaching staff.

like the idea of that. Maybe even bring back Didi for a while, he was part of the underage coaching wasen't he?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2193: Jan 07, 2011 12:44:23 am
      Express Says Didier says No.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/221643/Roy-Hodgson-leads-the-sack-race

Well we could have appointed him in the summer. Had a four hour interview.

DIDIER DESCHAMPS has ruled himself out of the running to succeed Roy Hodgson as the under-fire Liverpool manager clings on to his job by his fingernails.

Hodgson spent four hours at the training ground yesterday in the wake of a damaging 3-1 defeat by Blackburn as the owners, the Fenway Sports Group, deliberated over his position ahead of Sunday’s FA Cup tie at Manchester United. Hodgson is set to host his weekly press conference as normal today after Deschamps distanced himself from replacing him.

The West Ham board are on the brink of pulling the plug on Avram Grant’s reign, but Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has given his backing to Gerard Houllier and Carlo Ancelotti has received support from the Chelsea hierarchy.

The writing was on the wall for Roy Hodgson, spelt out in large white letters as he was driven into Liverpool’s training ground the morning after another ghastly night before.

Graffiti daubed outside Melwood screamed “Hodgson out”, though for four hours he locked himself away in his office, beginning preparations for Sunday’s visit to Manchester United before eventually heading home.

He left clutching a briefcase and a holdall, but the manner of the insipid 3-1 defeat by Blackburn, a ninth league reverse in a wretched campaign, means the call to clear the rest of his desk could still come at any point.

Just when and, more importantly, to whom Liverpool turn in arguably the lowest point of their recent history remains a delicate issue being debated in a series of transatlantic emails and telephone calls with John W Henry, principal owner of the Fenway Sports Group.

arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #2194: Jan 07, 2011 02:33:52 am
      Didier says no the portuguese dude out the german guy, looks like our next manager is going to be spanish.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2195: Jan 07, 2011 02:57:06 am
      Didier says no the portuguese dude out the german guy, looks like our next manager is going to be spanish.

Benitez
      Emery
      Quique Sanchez Flores

Either of and crouchy likey.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2196: Jan 07, 2011 09:50:52 am
      I want Rafa but it'd take 6 months of PR work for it to become a possibility. Either that or get him back tomorrow, spend some kwalitee cash on 3/4 good players and get back to good attacking, winning football.

The only way Rafa would turn it around is if he had instant success, if he didn't all the slur alex fed knife wielders would be back out in a frenzy for the man. That would not be good for him.

Rafa would have to work with Comolli but who knows that wouldn't be possible, nobody has an inkling how that would work out as a partnership without speculating. They might have the same ethos.

Maybe, just maybe that's the sticking point at the moment?
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #2197: Jan 07, 2011 10:19:20 am
      FSG have shown no commitment to transfers, there is no CEO, the supporters are divided, who in there right mind would take the job ??? I love Rafa but how will some of the players respond? We need a caretaker until the summer and then appoint a world class coach, DD, JK, VB, OC any of those may take the job if the club is steadied, the CEO in place and the £££ proved.

FSG - SORT IT OUT
      DumDore
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #2198: Jan 07, 2011 10:25:47 am
      kenny to take caretaker till the season finishes.......then give rafa the job with orders to sell any dissenters and money to bring in their replacements
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #2199: Jan 07, 2011 10:29:25 am
      The only thing they have done is divide the club and make a lot of people angry and they intend to impose on us their will.
      Frankly i have lost interest in all of this. This isnt the way the club should be run and if they put someone in against the fans wishes it will be chaos all over again. Can you imagine how long it would be before the crowd turned on someone like MON.
      I lok forward to seeing Roy's press conference today how many times will he state 35 years. Well my support goes beyond that Roy so I guess I have that over you. If they have as I  have thought for sometime a plan to write of this season that is a major betrayal of the fans and th elonger Roy is in place the more that looks to be fact. who would come under these circumstance with players threatening to leave fans baying for the managers blood and owners hiding 6000 miles away hoping it will all blow over if we beat UTD.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2200: Jan 07, 2011 10:34:02 am
      Without sounding like a broken record- RAFA WILL NOT COME BACK SO GET OVER IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      The owners will not employ someone who for whatever reason has fallen out with his last 3 clubs, Benitez I doubt would work with Comolli etc.

I/m sorry guys but it is NOT EVER going to happen
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #2201: Jan 07, 2011 11:15:08 am
      It's in our hands, how much we want Rafa to be back... the press may have a field day, but a field day that fits our intention which is to amplify our voices in wanting Rafa back. Hopefully those voices will reach FSG and the louder it gets the better(banner and march will definitely help). 

There's one thing I learn from Rafa's reign.... 'everything is possible'.

Viva la Rafalution..... YNWA.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2202: Jan 07, 2011 11:25:25 am
      Why Kenny Dalglish Should Be Liverpool's Top Manager Candidate
      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/563029-lfc-manager-candidates-for-j-w-henry-to-consider-why-it-should-be-dalglish
      By Mustafa Ozalcin (Contributor) on January 6, 2011

When Roy Hodgson's name was put forward for the Liverpool manager's job after Rafa Benitez was dismissed, a lot of fans were apprehensive, with yours truly being dead against the idea, so none of what is written here can be construed as being wise after the event.

No disrespect to Hodgson as a person, who seems to be a fairly affable character, but he should never have been a candidate to manage Liverpool. One needs to ask whether he would ever have been asked to manage Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester City. It was a no-brainer.

To emphasise the point further, can you imagine the gut reaction of players like Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Pepe Reina, Jamie Carragher, Dirk Kuyt, et al., having heard that the mighty Roy Hodgson was going to be their boss? Inexcusable perhaps, but we're seeing the reaction, or lack of it, week in and week out.

Despite all of the obvious reasons why he shouldn't have been a candidate, let alone appointed, Hodgson did have the opportunity to prove everyone wrong. If Liverpool had got off to a flier and gone unbeaten for a good few games, then the "famous Anfield support" would have definitely been there. But that window of opportunity disappeared long ago...

Now that it has gone and Hodgson having no intention of doing the honourable thing, Mr. John W. Henry has to take the difficult decision and terminate Roy Hodgson's contract with immediate effect.

Unlike the unequivocal opposition among Kopites to Hodgson remaining in charge, the consensus as to who should take over is less unanimous. There are several names that would seem to fit the bill and many fantasy names. Below are three realistic candidates with a brief overview of their credentials.

Martin O'Neill

Age: 58  Current Club: None  Previous Clubs: Aston Villa, Celtic, Leicester City

O'Neill has excellent man management skills and can motivate players with his "coaching" style of leadership. Though he has managed a championship-winning side in Celtic, the Scottish League cannot be considered to be that much stronger (if at all) than the Swedish League, where Hodgson last won a domestic championship.

His time at Aston Villa saw O'Neill overachieve with a mediocre squad, which again would seem to draw dangerous similarities with Hodgson. However, O'Neill has been consistent with his achievements over the years. On paper, Martin O'Neill seems to be an excellent candidate.

Frank Rijkaard

Age: 48  Current Club: None  Previous Clubs: Galatasaray, Barcelona, Sparta Rotterdam, Holland

Rijkaard has experience and success coaching at both the club and international levels. As one of the "young generation" of managers, he also falls into the "fashionable" category, which seems to be all the rage.

Rijkaard also has experience in rebuilding a giant with Barcelona. However, with the constant flow of money that is available there, it could be considered that it would have been an achievement to not succeed.

His latest "failure" at Galatasaray should be taken with a pinch of salt. Top Turkish clubs are so susceptible to interference from outside influences that managing any of them is a thankless task at best. Rijkaard is another candidate that on paper looks like he could succeed in the long term.

Kenny Dalglish

Age: 60 in March  Current Club: Liverpool  Previous Clubs: Celtic, Newcastle, Blackburn, Liverpool

It is difficult for someone whose highest footballing highs, from childhood to young adulthood, were lived through the Dalglish era to write about the man without becoming a bit emotional and a little bit biased. However, Liverpool FC is greater than any one man, and this fact is not forgotten.

In short, for immediate effect and long-term glory, there is no better candidate. I don't think there is a single person that would argue that there is a person within Liverpool Football Club that doesn't respect Kenny Dalglish and hold him in the highest esteem, be it player, ground staff or tea lady.

To talk about Dalglish as a "short-term" replacement or "until a long-term successor is found" and to say "he has been out of the game too long" as an argument against his credentials is not only insulting to Dalglish but also very naive, to put it mildly.

Football management is not something you forget overnight (if at all), and Dalglish is not only not "out of the game," he is very much part of it at Liverpool Football Club. Never mind the fact that the vast majority of people who make these comments have NEVER been in the game yet still make comments about who is and who isn't a good player, which positions need strengthening and who Liverpool should buy in the January transfer window.

The fact of the matter is, of all the candidates that can be considered suitable for the post, no one knows Liverpool better than Dalglish. His appointment would bring an immediate and immensely positive vibe, and it would be very difficult to find a reason as to why Dalglish wouldn't be able to rebuild the club and why others would have a better chance. There is no better candidate.

***This article was written prior to the Blackburn debacle.***

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #2203: Jan 07, 2011 11:40:31 am
      Hmm, if owners don't want Kenny because he's too popular making hard to replace him with a young manager in the summer, but search a caretaker with a proven record knowing the club, Rafa may be a good choice if he can be convinced to accept.

I mean Rafa is popular enough to match-goers and active fans associations to get the best support in the beginning, but they can be sure the british press, sky etc... will launch a campaign against him, and around the end of the season the 25% or so supporters listening to this press, will be adamantly against him if he doesn't achieve incredible results (while Dalgish would be very hard to move if he achieve top 6 or 7, Rafa would need top 4 to protect himself and even if he achieve something as miraculous a part of the press would still say it's because of luck and negative tactics).

Then they can appoint a new man for summer, with full support from the press and at least of the "spanish waiter"-bashers kind of fans (while most Rafa-likers would accept his departure anf give full support to the new manager to avoid to see divise among Liverpool supporters continue).

The only problem is I doubt Rafa to be stupid enough to put a foot in this caretaker trap even if he loves the club.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #2204: Jan 07, 2011 11:46:00 am
      Please no Mustafa Ozalcin, not ever, Martin O'Neill.  Would be Roy mk II.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #2205: Jan 07, 2011 11:47:37 am
      Never ever ever MON.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #2206: Jan 07, 2011 04:44:47 pm
      Just seen there that the LFC Speculation page have put up saying Owen Coyle will be put in place after the Sunday game.

A good few people want him, personally I think he is one more job at a bigger club before he can be classed as a big-team manager.

Also the source, is caughtoffside so we all know what that means.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2207: Jan 07, 2011 04:53:03 pm
      Interestingly  there was a press leak this morning that Burnley had made an approach for Paul Lambert at Norwich.
      Testing the water?

Delia threw a sponge cake at the Turf Moor Board.

With my preferred choice of Deschamps out of the running lets get back to our granite Scottish roots.

Star Team ?

Kenny with  Owen Coyle or Paul Lambert  till season end.

Then Coyle or Lambert on their own for the 2011-2012 season onwards.

Bookies?

Owen Coyle 4/1
      Ralf Rangnick 4/1
      Frank Rijkaard 6/1
      Kenny Dalglish 8/1
      Gus Hiddink 10/1
      Andre Villas-Boas 10/1
      Didier Deschamps 12/1
      Rafa Benitez 12/1
      Manuel Pellegrini 20/1
      Jürgen Klinnsmann 25/1
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011 04:58:41 pm by eurored »