Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Reds Ready To Continue Spending! - SkySports

Read 2179 times
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reds Ready To Continue Spending! - SkySports
      Jul 30, 2007 02:40:41 pm
      Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has hinted that the Reds have not ended their summer spending spree.

The Anfield outfit have been one of the busiest sides in this summer's transfer market by laying out more than £40million on the likes of Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel, Lucas Leiva and Yossi Benayoun.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez is still keen to add to his squad and is continuing his battle to lure Gabriel Heinze away from Manchester United.

With over a month to go before the transfer window slams shut, Parry has refused to rule out any more new faces arriving at Anfield.

"A lot of clubs have spent significant amounts of money this summer, like Manchester United, Tottenham and Chelsea," Parry told the club's official website.

"Then there are a number of other clubs who have recently also had new investors, such as Newcastle, and there's still a long way to go before the end of the transfer window.

"If a player becomes available and he's the right player for this club then yes, we will be interested."

Parry admits there is a buzz around Anfield ahead of the big kick-off next month as they look to to end their long wait for the Premier League title.

"There's always a lot expectation but there's definitely a special buzz about the upcoming season," added Parry.

"We're all excited with the new signings we've made and genuinely happy with what we've done.

"It was important to get them in as early as possible so that Rafa could have more time working with them. Bringing players in on the last day of the transfer window is never ideal.

"It was good for our new players to have been involved in the training camp out in Switzerland and then in Hong Kong."

Source: http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=479354&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=3&title=Reds+ready+to+continue+spending

So, any more money still left in the pot do you reckon. I genuinely believed that was it from us, concerning Transfer Activity, does Parry think otherwise? Hope so ;D
      christov84
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Re: Reds Ready To Continue Spending! - SkySports
      Reply #1: Jul 30, 2007 02:52:57 pm
      Personally I think it will be the Heinze saga that is ongoing, if that looks like a dead end then Rafa will move for Chiellini from Juve if man city havn't snapped him up first that is.  I would rather Chiellini just because he isn't tainted by scum like Heinze, what if he isn't automatic first choice at Anfield also? will he throw his toys out of the pram? probably, wouldnt mind either quaresma or mancini still tho someone who can play on either wing to offer competition.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #2: Jul 30, 2007 03:00:13 pm
      Quaresma over Mancini for me, Quaresma could be a new Ronaldo in the prem. ;)
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 30, 2007 06:52:14 pm
      Rafa will only sign heinze no more
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #4: Jul 30, 2007 06:57:45 pm
      Rafa will only sign heinze no more

Don't worry I can sort Heinze out for him

Rafa you concentrate on signing football players rather than a can of bake beans ;D
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #5: Jul 30, 2007 07:04:27 pm
      I want quaresma,is a great winger
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 30, 2007 09:47:24 pm
      I think Parry was hinting at the Heinze deal,if you look at the team-where do we need cover?Left back,maybe right wing,but then again I think Rafa may play Stevie G there quite a lot,as we are so well blessed in central midfield.I would rather a young up and coming player,but there isnt many about,Also Heinze may be used as back up in central defence.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Jul 30, 2007 10:45:02 pm
      I think if we don't get Heinze we'll get someone a bit.. not good unfortunately :( I hope I'm wrong though.

Was glad to hear we haven't definitely stopped spending though.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Jul 31, 2007 02:48:36 am
      Fingers crossed it won't end with Heinze! The depth of the United squad is the only thing that worries me! They've added nothing but quality and they were pretty sharp to begin with!  >:(

I don't think Chelsea have gone much further than last season, but they've got a habit of coming back to bite you on the arse haven't they?
      LFC Gary
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #9: Jul 31, 2007 08:46:00 am
      Fingers crossed it won't end with Heinze! The depth of the United squad is the only thing that worries me! They've added nothing but quality and they were pretty sharp to begin with!  >:(

This is what I can't get about some of the people on here.

Utd sign Nani & Anderson and they've signed two of the hottest talents around, why weren't we in for them etc etc.

We sign Lucas & Babel, and people question if it's a waste of money & ask why we didn't buy experienced players. I don't see how Utd have done any better than us in the transfer market this summer, just seems the grass is always greener for some people.
      Finnan1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 31, 2007 10:35:15 am
      Thats a good point but I guess as a fan you should have faith that your manager has a plan that will pay off just cause ou buy the hottest talent around does not neccesarily mean you have the best squad if that was the case Real Madrid would of won the bloody world cup years ago (somehow :-\). Do you remember the squad they had and what did it get them?

I think Babel is a bit of a risk he is the one I worry about most but even in the pre season I could see why Voronin was bought I also have a fair idea where he's going with benayoun. I have faith in our squad could be worse anyway at least were not Wet Sham! The pool March on, bring on United
      Cy
      Reply #11: Jul 31, 2007 11:17:02 am
      It's Parry job to make that kind statement.off course we will sign him if the right player become available,  I bloody hope so. There is also the Heinze situation, and this statement can be associated with it although they are probably links with a certain number of players that we are not aware. It's a simple statement but as always the press making it sound like it's a big deal.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #12: Jul 31, 2007 11:57:02 am
      I can’t see any signings on the team barring another defender, who can cover centre back and left back.
      Heinze or Chiellini…..Then we can ship Aurelio’s useless carcass out of Anfield!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #13: Jul 31, 2007 01:12:18 pm
      I can't see any more big money signings arriving, but hopefully Heinze will come & possibly a couple more promising youngsters.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #14: Jul 31, 2007 01:25:31 pm
      we can ship Aurelio’s useless carcass out of Anfield!

I think your an idiot, Aurelio has been injured but his maybe 2 months of football has impressed me so much more than Riise's 10 months of football.

Lets ship neither as Heinze is a CB who can play LB, before Aurelio goes, Riise must go
      Finnan1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 31, 2007 04:19:44 pm
      Calling the guy an idiot is a bit harsh don't ya think, dude was just sharing an opinion, you seem to have an anti Riise stigma which could be argues as equally unfounded as I think he has done wonders for Liverpool he's not perfect but he's dynamite on his day and consitently strong.

In summary Boo you Yaaaaaay Riise................... ....I'll get my virtual coat!
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #16: Jul 31, 2007 05:11:30 pm
      i've never been impressed with aurelio, granted he has been unfortunate with injuries, but riise is a better defender than some people give him credit for, and offers much more going forward.  i wouldn't get rid of either of them, but i would definetley give riise the shout over aurelio.
      beswick83
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 31, 2007 06:08:17 pm
      There have been a lot of young players bought aswell as the obvious big name signings. I think 1 more big name signing is in order, but not until january. Lets see how these boys cope first.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #18: Jul 31, 2007 07:32:28 pm
      Maybe we can nick Tevez from under the nose of Fergie that would really upset him.
      Finnan1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #19: Aug 01, 2007 10:18:00 am
      While were dreaming wouldn't it be great if we got a young Péle with feet for arms who could shoot lasers from his eyes but alas thats not gonna happene either  :D (Stupid science, HURRY UP!! >:()

I think we can expect some of our old school players to raise their game Riise especially has spoke of relishing the challenge I can't wait to see what defense role Mascherano will play.

Quick Reply