Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

An Apology and A Thank You To Martin Broughton

Read 21377 times
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Re: An Apology and A Thank You To Martin Broughton
      Reply #161: Nov 17, 2010 04:38:40 pm
      The current manager is a temporary problem. Hicks and Gillett threatened the very existence of the club.

His only flaw was getting involved in footballing decisions re: the manager, when that was clearly beyond his remit.

He lives Liverpool far stronger in the long term - but weaker on the pitch for now.

This
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #162: Nov 22, 2010 06:09:19 pm
      Apologies my arse!! NESV bided their time and showed their hand when the opportunity presented itself, WTF difference did Broughton el al make to anything?

Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #163: Nov 22, 2010 07:11:58 pm
      Apologies my arse!! NESV bided their time and showed their hand when the opportunity presented itself, WTF difference did Broughton el al make to anything?

Are you for real!?! He played THE MAJOR role in getting rid of H&G. He had masterminded the whole plan of how to catch H&G off-guard and prevent them from re-financing.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #164: Nov 22, 2010 07:25:32 pm

If I could still give a negative I'm afraid to say that you'd be getting one for this post mate.

Really narrow minded viewpoint and disrespectful to individuals who worked hard for this deal to go through.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #165: Nov 22, 2010 07:27:11 pm
      Are you for real!?! He played THE MAJOR role in getting rid of H&G. He had masterminded the whole plan of how to catch H&G off-guard and prevent them from re-financing.

For the last time RBS was in complete control of this process.  In layman's terms, let me explain:

RBS: This debt is not sustainable, you'll need to reduce it.
      H&G: Fine, we'll appoint Christian Purslow, he'll find us £100m.
      RBS: Still not getting any smaller and we've refinanced you enough times already.  Give us our money now.
      H&G: We don't have it, if you let us refinance we'll promise to pay you back this time.
      RBS: No.
      H&G: Alright, we'll sell the club.
      RBS: Only under our terms, we want someone on the board working on our behalf.
      H&G: What about if this Broughton guy is the chairman?
      RBS: Deal, money in six months please.

edit: If you want to apologise to anyone it should be RBS but will you?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #166: Nov 22, 2010 07:41:46 pm
      Delighted he got rid of Hicks and Gillette will reserve my judgement on NESV till I've seen what they deliver. I will tell you in 2 years whether he did a good job.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #167: Nov 22, 2010 07:45:33 pm
      For the last time RBS was in complete control of this process.  In layman's terms, let me explain:

RBS: This debt is not sustainable, you'll need to reduce it.
      H&G: Fine, we'll appoint Christian Purslow, he'll find us £100m.
      RBS: Still not getting any smaller and we've refinanced you enough times already.  Give us our money now.
      H&G: We don't have it, if you let us refinance we'll promise to pay you back this time.
      RBS: No.
      H&G: Alright, we'll sell the club.
      RBS: Only under our terms, we want someone on the board working on our behalf.
      H&G: What about if this Broughton guy is the chairman?
      RBS: Deal, money in six months please.

edit: If you want to apologise to anyone it should be RBS but will you?

Tell me why shouldn't people who slated Broughton initially for being on H&G's side and all the rest of the crap have to apologise?

Broughton did a F***ing good job and if I had the opportunity I'd thank him. I wouldn't apologise though as I have nothing to apologise for, I believed he was doing the right thing all along.

Some people will never be grateful for things others have done in their interests, no matter what the reason.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #168: Nov 22, 2010 07:49:47 pm
      It is premature saying he did a good job that is like saying Moores and Parry did a good job at the start of the Hicks and Gillette reign.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #169: Nov 22, 2010 10:45:05 pm
      I'd say it's slightly different as back then we were ready to be bent over and raped.

This time we know a few things about bad owners and I think we'd be able to tell pretty quick if these guys were another H&G. I can see where you're coming from but my initial response is one of thanks and gratitude. If it turns out these feelings are not appropriate we can cross that bridge later.

The mentality from a few people seems a little guilty until proven innocent, which I can understand but it is always better to be the opposite, especially when all the signs point in the right direction.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #170: Nov 24, 2010 03:07:27 pm
      I'd say it's slightly different as back then we were ready to be bent over and raped.

This time we know a few things about bad owners and I think we'd be able to tell pretty quick if these guys were another H&G. I can see where you're coming from but my initial response is one of thanks and gratitude. If it turns out these feelings are not appropriate we can cross that bridge later.

The mentality from a few people seems a little guilty until proven innocent, which I can understand but it is always better to be the opposite, especially when all the signs point in the right direction.
      The fact is tho buddy Broughton did very little to affect anything, NESV waited for an opportune moment to present itself when their prey was at it's weakest, and struck.
      The only thing I'd give Broughton credit for was stepping aside and letting the hunter claim it's prize, he did not have the power to affect anything to any significant degree.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #171: Nov 24, 2010 03:30:13 pm
      Unsure if this has been discussed... Does anyone think Broughton was rewarded a % of deal value? 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #172: Nov 24, 2010 03:51:56 pm
      Unsure if this has been discussed... Does anyone think Broughton was rewarded a % of deal value? 

I believe he had a set bonus upon a successful sale though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #173: Nov 24, 2010 03:56:22 pm
      That would be a contractual issue though Stu not a performance related payment surely.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #174: Nov 24, 2010 06:40:03 pm

Fair play to him .....Hes happy your happy everybodys happy ! Now if we set another bonus up do you think he will get rid of Roy ? ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #175: Nov 24, 2010 06:56:01 pm
      Martin Broughton was a figurehead. RBS were the ones who told him what they wanted, how to act and what restrictions/freedoms he had in order to achieve this.

Furthermore, he had very little say in the actual selling of the club. The FA and the courts sanctioned the deal, while the lawyers and QC's dealt with the legal proceedings. He was just the face for the project without having to do much other than locate a buyer. He located one, but didn't have any say at all in it going through - that was for the courts to decide through lawyers. Thankfully, our lawyer was a F***ing genius.

So no, no apology. He still sapped millions in wages for his 'hard work' and played a big part in Rafa being sacked. He was like half CEO, half advisory for RBS, an abuser of power and a moocher.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #176: Nov 24, 2010 07:13:08 pm
      Only RBS deserve any credit for having the balls to stand up to the threats of H+G and even that is tainted becuse they stung us for millions in penalty payments so which ever way you want to look at it Hicks and Gillette, Broughton and Purslow and RBS all did very well out of LFC and its us who will end up paying as usual.Its an era that is best forgetten when you think how the club has been pilaged for money and tealent over the last 2 years in particular.Is it any wonder that some of us are still a bit nervous about our new owners.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #177: Nov 24, 2010 07:17:19 pm
      Martin Broughton was a figurehead. RBS were the ones who told him what they wanted, how to act and what restrictions/freedoms he had in order to achieve this.

Furthermore, he had very little say in the actual selling of the club. The FA and the courts sanctioned the deal, while the lawyers and QC's dealt with the legal proceedings. He was just the face for the project without having to do much other than locate a buyer. He located one, but didn't have any say at all in it going through - that was for the courts to decide through lawyers. Thankfully, our lawyer was a F***ing genius.

So no, no apology. He still sapped millions in wages for his 'hard work' and played a big part in Rafa being sacked. He was like half CEO, half advisory for RBS, an abuser of power and a moocher.

^           ^
       THIS
      Or as I said in a previous post - apologise my arse.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #178: Nov 24, 2010 07:17:21 pm
      Crouchinho and Stuey you both speak as if the things you say are fact.

Do you have evidence that Martin Broughton did not do anything to affect the sale and that he did not work extremely hard during the sale process?

How do you know what he did behind closed doors and how much of the eventual outcome was down to his (and his team's) hard work?

Just a final point:

Why would BarCap hire such a leader in the field as Martin Broughton for a large amount in wages if he did nothing to impact the sale. Surely it would have been a lot cheaper to hire someone else who isn't as influential, or anyone for that matter (surely it wouldn't matter if they didn't have to do anything)?
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #179: Nov 24, 2010 07:18:58 pm
      Only RBS deserve any credit for having the balls to stand up to the threats of H+G and even that is tainted becuse they stung us for millions in penalty payments so which ever way you want to look at it Hicks and Gillette, Broughton and Purslow and RBS all did very well out of LFC and its us who will end up paying as usual.Its an era that is best forgetten when you think how the club has been pilaged for money and tealent over the last 2 years in particular.Is it any wonder that some of us are still a bit nervous about our new owners.

It's dangerous to forget. You learn from the past what not to do in the future.

Which is why I understand people's scepticism regarding our new owners.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #180: Nov 24, 2010 07:24:44 pm
      Crouchinho and Stuey you both speak as if the things you say are fact.

Do you have evidence that Martin Broughton did not do anything to affect the sale and that he did not work extremely hard during the sale process?

How do you know what he did behind closed doors and how much of the eventual outcome was down to his (and his team's) hard work?

Just a final point:

Why would BarCap hire such a leader in the field as Martin Broughton for a large amount in wages if he did nothing to impact the sale. Surely it would have been a lot cheaper to hire someone else who isn't as influential, or anyone for that matter (surely it wouldn't matter if they didn't have to do anything)?

As chairman he had no say in the legalities of the matter. That is why it went to court, because neither he nor the previous owners had authority to exercise the power they wanted.

Broughton, as part of the reason for him being here, was to identify potential buyers. That is it. That is what he was hired by BarCap and RBS to do - they even said it themselves and Broughton too in his first interview with lfc.tv. He was purely to find a buyer and set up a sale. He didn't force H&G out, he didn't sue them, he didn't get any injunctions, he didn't threaten to bring forward a case to hold H&G in contempt of court, that was all the lawyers because that is what they are there to do -interpret legalities and try to build a strong argument.

Sure, as part of his role as chairman, Broughton supplied information on behalf of RBS and BarCap but that is standard procedure. He didn't build the case against H&G. He was there as a face for RBS.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #181: Nov 24, 2010 07:31:27 pm
      So you don't think that his role as Chairman and overseer of the sale process deserves our respect and huge gratitude?

I'm thankful to every single person involved in getting rid of H&G from Purslow to Slaughter and May to Martin Broughton and in my opinion they deserve every penny they got paid.

Issues such as the Rafa sacking etc. are interesting to bring into the argument but I strongly believe it was part of a plan to trim the LFC wage budget in order to attract more prospective buyers.

But that's for another topic my main point is that everyone worked hard in this episode of LFC and all deserve gratitude. I don't think there are many people in a position educated enough to be able to portion what amount of thanks each person/business/bank should get in relation to how hard each worked, all I know is that just like football it would never happen without a team of people all working hard to get the same outcome.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #182: Nov 24, 2010 07:34:13 pm
      I think Broughton whilst being a chelsea fan has a great knowledge of footballing finance etc not many people with his knowledge have probably ever been to a football match I have no doubt Broughton is a very skillfull Chairman and carries a great deal of gravitas in the circles he would be familiar  in.He would probably be very comfortable standing up to H+G. I think he was more of a buffer to the buying process keeping the two muppets at armslength.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #183: Nov 24, 2010 07:47:22 pm
      So you don't think that his role as Chairman and overseer of the sale process deserves our respect and huge gratitude?

The fact he lied to us straight out about how many potential buyers there were and him being here for 4 months before even entering any sort of serious conversation with a prospective buyer shows how much of an arsey job he did.

And then there was the 'Rafa will be here at the start of the season' bullshit, along with the 'Rafa and i discussed at length our transfer targets for the upcoming season'. He failed to mention that the only transfer he was involved in was with Inter Milan and Fulham.

Oh, and the nice 500,000k pay packet before he even talked to a possible buyer was a healthy boost for doing jack F***ing all.

Issues such as the Rafa sacking etc. are interesting to bring into the argument but I strongly believe it was part of a plan to trim the LFC wage budget in order to attract more prospective buyers.

It cost us 6m to sack Rafa and 3m to get Hodgson. What sort of financial statement were we trying to reduce there?

Quick Reply