Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

An Apology and A Thank You To Martin Broughton

Read 21385 times
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: An Apology and A Thank You To Martin Broughton
      Reply #23: Oct 06, 2010 01:37:17 pm
      the new guys have a great record with their investment and building of boston red sox, unlike hicks who took one of the most profitable and successful teams (texas rangers) and turned them into a mediocre also rans.

i'm a bit more optimistic but still cautious as we have no idea how the new guys will turn out.

they can surely not be worse then dick and harry
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #24: Oct 06, 2010 01:42:53 pm
      Do you have proof it is leveraged?

When they bought the Redsox they borrowed $300Million of the $700Millon. New York Times Invested another 18% of the purchase, that is about 60% owed to others. If we are looking at past history there you go. They did not build a new stadium, he was kicked out of owning the Florida Marlins by the commisoner as they would not build a new stadium without tax dollars and made a $50Million loss. They are keeping £40Millon of debt in the company to pay for Staidum improvements, on top of the £85Million spent by G&H thats £125Millon from our pockets on a stadium !!!!

Christ have the last 3years taught us nothing......DONT BELIEVE the hype !!!
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #25: Oct 06, 2010 01:45:23 pm
      Yes it's great this has managed to be sorted, but I'm not thanking him. That's what we have paid him to do and I'd expect no less. Thank him in a few years time if this is made us a force again, when we have been backed with money and a new stadium.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #26: Oct 06, 2010 01:48:58 pm
      OK, a lot of disagreeing on here!

My point is to thank Martin for the work he has done trying to oust the owners,

they are hardly the easiest people to work with and they have now had to go public with the squabbling etc.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #27: Oct 06, 2010 01:59:32 pm
      A professional job done under extreme pressure.
      Yes. Youve earnt your £500k Ssssshhhhh .

Thanks to you .....

Christian Purslow

and

Ian Ayres.

You all kept the faith.

The sun always shines on the righteous  ;D
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #28: Oct 06, 2010 02:01:57 pm
      Guys, really, I think the skepticism is a bit much. Alright it's fair to be a bit skeptical after what these stupid yanks here have done, but Broughton did the job he came in here to do. He, Purslow and Ayre have to their best ability (unless this legal battle is somehow lost, which I'm getting the impression that the chances of this happening are slim) forced these idiots out.

Just from the way that the official site posted about the yanks tried to sack Purslow and Ayre, it is pretty clear that in the last few days they had no intention of letting the yanks profit from this, and instead are doing what they believe is best for the club. The criteria that they put in place to find this new owner surely would've taken into account the impact that these two have had on us, and would have considered where this new owner will take us in the long term.

Of course, everything I've said could all turn out to be wrong, but for now, I believe that they've taken what they believe to be the best course of action. Remember, what you've read in the media is far from the whole story of what's been going on over the last 8 months.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #29: Oct 06, 2010 02:06:15 pm
      Thanks for a half decent job Martin.See you did not get us sold to a multi Billionaire.Just wondering why he did not sell us to one of these Royal familys with all there Billions.Then again cant believe none of them made a solid bid for us.But then again you did your best for the club, even though u are a Chelski man yourself. :f_steam:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #30: Oct 06, 2010 02:09:43 pm
      When they bought the Redsox they borrowed $300Million of the $700Millon. New York Times Invested another 18% of the purchase, that is about 60% owed to others. If we are looking at past history there you go. They did not build a new stadium, he was kicked out of owning the Florida Marlins by the commisoner as they would not build a new stadium without tax dollars and made a $50Million loss. They are keeping £40Millon of debt in the company to pay for Staidum improvements, on top of the £85Million spent by G&H thats £125Millon from our pockets on a stadium !!!!

This
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #31: Oct 06, 2010 02:22:25 pm
      "Apology and thankyou" Pffffff...
      There really is one born every minute...Or probably alot more...

Broughton you're a slimeball. You have brought shame on Liverpool Football Club. The informed fans will not forget. Your history will follow you around.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #32: Oct 06, 2010 02:29:01 pm

The words fire and frying pan come to mind!.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #33: Oct 06, 2010 02:43:14 pm
      Exactly, not throwing a tatrum yet, as I said in another thread these are smart business men but he could not make it work with the Florida Marlins and with the Redsox he makes $90Millon a year just from his TV channel so this is not exactly champange time it should be cautious on guard and ready to mobalise again as we do not have anything like that type of single line revenue to profit. The Redsox is very similar to LFC, big rival in the Yankies, old Stadium, undervalued commerical revenues, hated owners. Although they have been succesful, engaged the fans and wooed them, they did not redevelop the stadium, they are massively commercialsed, they have the highest ticket prices in the MLB. Nothing is for free.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #34: Oct 06, 2010 02:57:12 pm
      If he can sell the club under the noses of the owners without them getting a penny then I would like to buy the man a pint infact several pints.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #35: Oct 06, 2010 02:58:26 pm
      If he can sell the club under the noses of the owners without them getting a penny then I would like to buy the man a pint infact several pints.

They are taking a £100 million loss ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #36: Oct 06, 2010 03:10:03 pm
      This topic is a little bit over the top, no?

It is his job to sell the club.  He is sort of getting paid half a million pound for it.

If he had won the Euromillions and then give us all the money to buy Snoogy Doogy then, maybe then, he may deserve this little topic. But not for doing the one thing he had to do.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #37: Oct 06, 2010 03:20:23 pm
      can we just thank Broughton for what he has done, essentially get rid of Hicks + Gillett
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #38: Oct 06, 2010 03:21:49 pm

It is his job to sell the club.  He is sort of getting paid half a million pound for it.

If he had won the Euromillions and then give us all the money to buy Snoogy Doogy then, maybe then, he may deserve this little topic. But not for doing the one thing he had to do.

he has essentially forced the yanks hand.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #39: Oct 06, 2010 03:48:17 pm

To be honest JD, i do agree that this thread is a bit premature but if the deal goes through on the principles that is currently being stated, i think we owe a big apology to Broughton, even Purslow. Many, including me, saw them as "Yes" men for Hicks & Gillett. However, the recent activities are showing that that isn't quite the case. Don't get me wrong, i am approaching the potential new ownership with as much scepticism as everyone else but at the minute, it sounds like a good deal and anytone who helps gets rid of the Yanks deserves some credit. However, lets just see what happens before we go thanking anyone.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #40: Oct 06, 2010 04:00:14 pm
      Conversation between Roman Abramovich and Martin Broughton

Roman........You vill arrange for Torres to come to us yes????

Martin....It could be difficult, questions are already being asked about my Chelsea background, do you know they caught me on camera not singing ynwa ?

Roman....... But you vill get me Torres right?????

Martin...... Sorry mate, I can't pull it off, that guy really loves the LFC,   but....what I will do is ensure Liverpool is no threat to you by arranging the sacking of Benitez.....

Roman........Ok now you are talking my language ....excellent verk Martin

Martin......And I will arrange Hodgson to be the replacement, guaranteed to put the club back by another 3 years

Roman...... Vot else vill you do for me, lets say for an extra 10 million bonus....

Martin......I am gonna shaft them even more by selling to a guy who has no money, that way there will be no major investment in players for a good while to come..... and its another yank so he has no clue about football

Roman........Excellent verk Martin.....an extra bonus of a few millions is on the vay
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #41: Oct 06, 2010 04:00:56 pm
      If Broughton was sure that they won't succeed as owners - then there's no point for him to work his bollocks off for 6 months just to achieve a sale process isn't it?

If it means another version of Hicks and Gillett.. if it means another version of debt piling up... then why would he bother? I firmly believe he has done its utmost. He had went through legal processes, withstood everything the owners threw at him to achieve this. If at the end of the day, the outcome would be the same - why would he even care?

Martin has already said being American is NOT the problem. Leveraged buyouts IS the problem with football today. And there is no correlation between american and leveraged buyouts.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #42: Oct 06, 2010 04:02:57 pm
      I'm not sure if anyone's noticed but i'm a glass half full kind of guy. ;)

I think in his interview after the fateful inception of Hodgson he was asked numerous questions and all his answers have come to fruition except one and that's "the winning bidder may not be the highest one but the one thats best for the club". Whilst this is yet to become true as our dreams would be (new stadium, massive budget &debts gone) it has come true as regards what a rational brain would be happy with.

If someone would have said to us 6 months ago "We'll get rid of the Hicks & Gillett, all the debt & i will promise the redevelopment of Anfield at a minimum. Oh and if you look at our other team we own we are major investors in players as we have a desire that any team we own is a winning team". A poll would have been overwhelmingly in support, i'm guessing 90% plus with about 8 of the other 10% being Wum Hodgson.

Why everybody's become so F***ing sceptical now is beyond me. If it's because they're American then that's ridiculous at best. Broughton has been true to his word up to now and i would lay cash (any takers) that the words in his interview today will follow the same vein.

At worst the man has proven he is on the side of LFC, he has bitten H&G on their greedy arses, for that i would gladly buy him a pint (or a Pimms?).

I Understand the 'once bitten twice shy' ethos and i'm not saying drop yer boxies for anyone but when the time comes and H&G are gone and all the things i said above that we'd have accepted 6 months ago come to fruition i'd expect every MAN to pop in and give him what he deserves, a good pat on the back at the very least.

Having said that, It Was still over the line Martin.  :P
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #43: Oct 06, 2010 04:05:37 pm

It is his job to sell. Yes. But could he have achieved this if he was on the Yanks' side? He obviously, together with Purslow and Ayres went against the owners, and even attacked the owners in public with every opportunity. In June when Hodgson was unveiled he said he will sell the club to the right owners, not at the highest price. He certainly stood by that principle, especially since it was HIS desire and the board's to oust Hicks and Gillett at the earliest opportunity.

Now Hicks and Gillett is looking at a potential loss of 144M. And a change in ownership which everyone so badly wanted.

And now this is the response from the majority? That it'll be another leveraged buyout, debt will pile up because their Americans? Please. Martin Broughton has stated that 200M from the sale would go to paying off the acquistion debt, which will leave us with the second lowest debt in the EPL.

If that is not a good start and a positive indication, then I don't know what is.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #44: Oct 06, 2010 04:06:31 pm
      compared to what Hicks and Gillette have siphoned out of this club £500,000 is just small change so (I use the word "if" again) if he gets them out then its a price worth paying.As to the future we are all sceptical of course we are but lets just have one day were we can enjoy a bright moment in what has been a thoroughly depressing 3 years.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #45: Oct 06, 2010 04:25:43 pm

Who got the same amount for playing for us this season? He's done a sh*t load better than most of them.

Quick Reply