Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 26th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Is English officiating corrupt?

Read 69416 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Re: Is English officiating corrupt?
      Reply #1587: May 24, 2024 02:58:27 pm
      Nonsense: There isn't even an agreed upon definition of a "Mistake"........ Would you say that Odegaard's handball at Anfield was deliberate? and therefore that decision was a mistake....of course you would...but the Arsenal fans don't think it was a mistake...and the officials didn't think it was a mistake.(and in truth only the player himself knows if it was deliberate)
      So how is it possible to generate a league of mistakes?....You can't.

Sure you can. That's literally the point of VAR, to correct mistakes. Whether deliberate or not, it was a handball. And Arsenal fans not believing it's a mistake doesn't make it so. The Doku kung fu kick to Mac's chest was also a mistake. But do you think City fans believe it was? Most if not all of them think it wasn't wrong to allow it. Upon review it's blatantly obvious that it was a missed call.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,622 posts | 1514 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1588: May 24, 2024 03:30:03 pm
      Nonsense: There isn't even an agreed upon definition of a "Mistake"........ Would you say that Odegaard's handball at Anfield was deliberate? and therefore that decision was a mistake....of course you would...but the Arsenal fans don't think it was a mistake...and the officials didn't think it was a mistake.(and in truth only the player himself knows if it was deliberate)
      So how is it possible to generate a league of mistakes?....You can't.

I'm pretty sure the article said this is the ones that have been admitted by the ref to have been a mistake... there is a LOT of calls not even on there.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,473 posts | 823 
      Reply #1589: May 24, 2024 07:25:42 pm
      Sure you can. That's literally the point of VAR, to correct mistakes. Whether deliberate or not, it was a handball. And Arsenal fans not believing it's a mistake doesn't make it so. The Doku kung fu kick to Mac's chest was also a mistake. But do you think City fans believe it was? Most if not all of them think it wasn't wrong to allow it. Upon review it's blatantly obvious that it was a missed call.
      The (main) reason VAR operators find it so difficult to correct an error is because the parameters of what constitutes an offence are opaque and open to interpretation ( ignoring offside, which is technology dependant). Fan's on the other hand believe whatever benefits their side(regardless of the  evidence).
      My point is there isn't (and can't be) an agreed on definition of a mistake, outside of the blatantly obvious, and blatantly obvious mistakes will by and large be quickly identified and remedied.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,473 posts | 823 
      Reply #1590: May 24, 2024 07:29:00 pm
      I'm pretty sure the article said this is the ones that have been admitted by the ref to have been a mistake... there is a LOT of calls not even on there.
      If you admit there are a"LOT" of calls not included, then the table is even less accurate....It's total folly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,342 posts | 4963 
      Reply #1591: May 24, 2024 07:57:34 pm
      The (main) reason VAR operators find it so difficult to correct an error is because the parameters of what constitutes an offence are opaque and open to interpretation ( ignoring offside, which is technology dependant). Fan's on the other hand believe whatever benefits their side(regardless of the  evidence).
      My point is there isn't (and can't be) an agreed on definition of a mistake, outside of the blatantly obvious, and blatantly obvious mistakes will by and large be quickly identified and remedied.

I think you make a fair point.

There's lots of decisions in football that cannot be 100% agreed on and as you say more often than not you are blinkered by if it's your team or not.

That's why I'd be in favour of simplifying some of the rules of possible to take away an element of doubt. Like the clear man ahead for offside that has been mentioned.

Handball needs to be made more simple as well.

Then maybe VAR has a chance
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1592: Yesterday at 09:45:59 am
      My second post here. My thoughts from my 1st post hasn't changed.
      Hang on to your knickers for this.

https://x.com/KoptasticNeil/status/1793759475221844460?t=FjQj9V94PZBVzZ6tQLGnag&s=19
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,400 posts | 1424 
      Reply #1593: Yesterday at 11:05:20 am

https://x.com/KoptasticNeil/status/1793759475221844460?t=FjQj9V94PZBVzZ6tQLGnag&s=19

Some serious allegations. Will anybody go direct to the PGMOL and make a direct accusation of corruption. I don't know if Oliver was influenced in any way. My original reaction to the "Doku" challenge was that it was a 'clear and obvious' error and should've been corrected by VAR. But you simply can't trust VAR.

To rule out any VAR cock up, dare I say, that had they adopted the system with the Captain's having 2/3 challenges, the right decision would've been made.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,473 posts | 823 
      Reply #1594: Yesterday at 11:42:50 am
      Some serious allegations. Will anybody go direct to the PGMOL and make a direct accusation of corruption. I don't know if Oliver was influenced in any way. My original reaction to the "Doku" challenge was that it was a 'clear and obvious' error and should've been corrected by VAR. But you simply can't trust VAR.

To rule out any VAR cock up, dare I say, that had they adopted the system with the Captain's having 2/3 challenges, the right decision would've been made.
      Good Morning, Your Captains challenge idea has a certain amount of merit inasmuch as it reduces the randomness of VAR to review an incident...The Captain having 2/3 challenges, (not unlike test cricket)  means the incident HAS to be looked at again.
      The problem remains that just because the incident is checked, it doesn't mean it will be changed/reversed. You are of the opinion that had the referee been sent to the monitor he would have awarded a penalty, yet there is no guarantee of that. Human beings find it hard to admit fault and change their minds, we process it as a weakness....So there is quite a mountain to overcome to admit an error.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1595: Yesterday at 03:01:25 pm

Most sane people (that aren’t Liverpool, City or Arsenal supporters) agree that the Odegaard handball and Doku kick were both clear, obvious errors. So take bias out of it and you still have the consensus that you seem to imply is lacking.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #1596: Yesterday at 03:12:04 pm

Said at the time it is a clear conflict of interest. That's the minimum, and it shouldn't be permitted for refs to go off and work for other leagues when those running those leagues have a stake in an English club.

Be interested to see where he got the £20k fee for Oliver's services. If true, it just highlights how dodgy thinks look when you allow these conflicts of interest.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,473 posts | 823 
      Reply #1597: Yesterday at 05:13:44 pm
      Most sane people (that aren’t Liverpool, City or Arsenal supporters) agree that the Odegaard handball and Doku kick were both clear, obvious errors. So take bias out of it and you still have the consensus that you seem to imply is lacking.
      With the greatest of respect: Regardless of where on this Earth you are from there is no qualified method for people to agree on what constitutes an error; the incident will always be open to interpretation....not just bias. Even in the cases you mention there will be some people who judge it one way and other's who judge it completely the opposite.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #1598: Yesterday at 10:31:28 pm
      With the greatest of respect: Regardless of where on this Earth you are from there is no qualified method for people to agree on what constitutes an error; the incident will always be open to interpretation....not just bias. Even in the cases you mention there will be some people who judge it one way and other's who judge it completely the opposite.

Exactly. The honest people on one side, and the corrupt cheats on the other. Dress it up as much as you like, the outcome is the same.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1599: Today at 12:21:32 am

Just because there are people that lack the intelligence to interpret what they are seeing doesn’t mean it’s not possible for sensible people to agree on something being a mistake.  I’m not sure why you are so hell bent on defending a flawed system in this instance 😂
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,473 posts | 823 
      Reply #1600: Today at 12:45:07 am
      Just because there are people that lack the intelligence to interpret what they are seeing doesn’t mean it’s not possible for sensible people to agree on something being a mistake.  I’m not sure why you are so hell bent on defending a flawed system in this instance 😂
      We all perceive the world differently, it has nothing to do with intelligence. I'm really not defending anything, I'm just saying something deemed a mistake is just a human judgement ...sometimes what is being contested is obvious, and other times they are hard to interpret....and when they are hard...or even very hard they are likely to split opinion....In other words there isn't always universal agreement as to what is a mistake....except when it's fairly obvious.
      I've run out of caring to be honest....Have a good weekend!

Quick Reply