Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2780895 times
      Don77 and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #10925: Aug 06, 2013 04:14:33 pm
      Not sure how other clubs fair but it is possible that the likes of spurs have a lot less staff so therefore spend a lot more than us on the players.
      Very possible 'debs. The wage "argument" is very misleading and is often used to confuse the easy led.

We are entirely dependant on the actions of those ahead of us rather than our own.
      That seems to be a big part of the "strategy" racer. If you bring FFP into the equation it becomes even clearer.

Stick to the "rules", hope that others fall foul of them and hey presto... Champions League football by default. Simples.  8)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10926: Aug 06, 2013 04:27:56 pm
      Very possible 'debs. The wage "argument" is very misleading and is often used to confuse the easy led.
      That seems to be a big part of the "strategy" racer. If you bring FFP into the equation it becomes even clearer.

Stick to the "rules", hope that others fall foul of them and hey presto... Champions League football by default. Simples.  8)

Like with all things 'financial', good accountants can make the 'books' appear as good or as bad as the business requires for tax purposes.

If you remember back to the H&G saga, KPMG made Tom Hicks businesses look like they were booming, enabling him to take out a further $500m credit facility with another lender.  At the time he was near bankrupt, unable to pay any of his other creditors without borrowing.

It's very easy to dupe money lenders and banks when you're desperate, so it's hardly surprising that some of us have been taken in by the propaganda machine insisting we're skint.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #10927: Aug 06, 2013 05:48:30 pm
      Here Brendan, have £40m to spend on transfers this window, seeing as we've vastly reduced the wage structure. But be careful that you're not offering too much of a weekly wage this time around.

I'm all for offloading players like Downing (£90k/week?) and the like, but you have to spend to get places in this game - you cannot get away with that, unless you are happy to be a mid table team. I don't believe FSG are serious about getting quality in, be it long term or short term. If they are not prepared to buy players who will stand a good chance of getting us into the top four, they need to move on.

40 million?

We have already bought in a number of players this window - Kolo on high wages despite no transfer fee - plus we have money available for Papa (15m), Mkhi (24m) and/or Costa (21m).

The reason the deals haven't gone through is because Shalke are demanding more for a player with questionable injury record, Mkhi was always Dortmund-bound and Costa may well be angling for a better contract.

We should be aiming for the RIGHT players not just spending momey for the sake of it - you know, like we did with Carrol which got us into this mess in the first place - remember?

But instead of trying to be smarter - as Spurs and Arsenal have been - you think the answer is to spend even more money doing what we did before!
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #10928: Aug 06, 2013 06:01:40 pm
      Just to be clear for those (not Carlos) who don't know:

Our revenue income [2011/12] was some €55m [£48m] higher than Spurs. In that time, despite our absence from Europe, we recorded a £5.1m (3%) increase in revenue whilst Spurs revenue decreased by £19.3m (12%) mainly down to their failure to qualify for the Champions League.

Our "wage bill" (I'm not sure it relates only to players) in that period [2011/12] was £119m, some 63% of our total revenue... £188.7. Spurs "wage bill" was £90m, some 62.4% of their total revenue... £144.2m.

The reason Spurs came within a "hair's breadth" may have been down to many things - a better coach, maybe; better players, possibly; or maybe even better management of squad players but one thing is for certain... it had sweet f**k all to do with how "little" they spent on wages.

But BBB that's exactly my point!

Everyone just keeps banging on about how unfair it was that Kenny was sacked and how FSG need to throw more money at the team.

But as you've astutely just pointed out the money (and FSG) ain't the problem - as illustrated by the vast amount more we are spending than Spurs.

The problem is the dross players we had and the unproductive football we were playing.

That was down to Kenny and Commoli not the owners. Sorry if that's an unpalatable truth for everyone to hear.

We now have a new management team in place but it will (fairly obviously) take time to exchange the players who weren't winning us points (per pound spent) to players who will. Maybe Mignolet, for example isn't better than Pepe - but if he gives us the SAME level of performance for a third of the wages it means we can afford to bid for Costa, say, who will overall strengthen the team.

The aim is NOT to cut the wage bill but to get value for money for the wages we are paying. That's why we signed the crucial members of our team (and Skrtel who was thought to be so at the time) to improved, longer term contracts.

For some reason people have got it into their heads that spending money on something - anything - I'd going to lead to success and that we can somehow keep doing this until we outspend City and Chelsea. If that was the route to success QPR would be top of the Premiership.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #10929: Aug 06, 2013 06:23:37 pm
      Is right

We have already bought in a number of players this window - Kolo on high wages despite no transfer fee - plus we have money available for Papa (15m), Mkhi (24m) and/or Costa (21m).

And if my Gran had balls she'd be my Grandfather. Fact is, we've spent £2m in almost 6 weeks of transfer dealings

The reason the deals haven't gone through is because Shalke are demanding more for a player with questionable injury record, Mkhi was always Dortmund-bound and Costa may well be angling for a better contract.

Fine, then I look forward to FSG shelling out more than £2m thus far.

We should be aiming for the RIGHT players not just spending momey for the sake of it - you know,
      Your preaching to the gallery here my friend, I'm quite aware of what we should and shouldn't be doing. If we're wanting to go for the RIGHT players, how come some of the best and 2nd tier players are all being snapped up, whilst we dick around with a £2m net spend? It's not like the transfer window hasn't been open a good few weeks now

like we did with Carrol which got us into this mess in the first place - remember?
      Please stop treating me like I'm some wet behind the ears school girl (can I say that Mr Henry?) who knows nothing. I'm well aware of what's going on here.

But instead of trying to be smarter - as Spurs and Arsenal have been - you think the answer is to spend even more money doing what we did before!
      Where did I say I think the answer is to spend even more money? I never said that

Like I said, they've got about 26 days to do what's right, and the clock is ticking
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2013 06:34:35 pm by Rush »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10930: Aug 06, 2013 06:45:44 pm
      They got us too cheap and are determined to carry on doing business in that manner,
      which will never be enough to compete with Chelsea and City.

Or only hope of getting back NEAR the top is to hope one of them tires of the spending,
      all the while United's empire collapses.

We are entirely dependant on the actions of those ahead of us rather than our own.

Can't agree mate, we are not dependant on others failings, forgive me but that's a pretty lame excuse for our short comings, we as a club have never ever depended on anyone else let alone those with more money,

Remember it is Liverpool FC who set the bench mark for all these so called super clubs to follow, including those at the end of the east lancs rd,

At this moment in time we're only behind in terms of financial clout and will be for the foreseeable future, but that does not mean we're incapable of building a title challenging side with less resources, money or lack of wont stop us or anyone else creating a group of players that can work together to accomplish great things,

It is my hope that Liverpool FC will win the title without a major investor like those at Citeh & chavs, we have all heard and probably said that they clubs bought the title, well part of that is true but you still have to go out and win it, once again I can refer back to our club, because we have never been a club that buys top drawer players, some come with a respected reputation but more often than not they leave as better players,

We are still highly respected throughout the whole of Europe despite our drought in titles and trophies, and I don't think we are as far behind as some love to make out, I think we are getting back albeit frustratingly slowly, but we are going forward,

I would hope that come May the name of Liverpool football club will be back where it belongs amongst the elite of Europe, and I would expect some of those clubs will look over their shoulders and say, ' oh F**k' here come those f***in scousers again !   YNWA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10931: Aug 06, 2013 06:50:26 pm
      Everyone just keeps banging on about how unfair it was that Kenny was sacked and how FSG need to throw more money at the team.

But as you've astutely just pointed out the money (and FSG) ain't the problem - as illustrated by the vast amount more we are spending than Spurs.

Quit being a helmet Carlos.  ;D

Your lot are cutting wages and, to date, we are yet to see those wage cuts bear any fruit. You believe the cuts will eventually work and we all hope you are right but...

It was FSG who fu**ed up by sanctioning wanton spending by their Director of Football - you reckon they should be praised for sacking their man - I reckon they shouldn't escape criticism for putting us in this position in the first place. You want us to heap praise on your lot for trying (as you see it) to rectify their mistakes; really? The buck stops as ever at the top.

You're a good PR agent to a certain extent mate but we've seen them on here before - the goalposts move, the veil slips and then rather than engaging they always end up talking down to real fans. Their goal was/is not to enlighten, through debate, but to hide the truth by creating only argument.

As it stands I've had enough of you, your condescension and your mocking wind ups.  ;D
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2013 11:34:41 pm by JD »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8614 
      Reply #10932: Aug 06, 2013 07:03:24 pm
      Your lot are cutting wages and, to date, we are yet to see those wage cuts bear any fruit. You believe the cuts will eventually work and we all hope you are right but...

We've got austerity owners then!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Reply #10933: Aug 06, 2013 08:00:10 pm
      Just watched this on lfc.tv

John Henry: The first interview

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/john-henry-the-first-interview

Liverpool Football Club's new owner John Henry has spoken of his delight after New England Sports Ventures completed their purchase of the Reds.

In an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv, Henry reveals his pride at the deal and explains why he believes NESV can lead the Club into an exciting new era.

First of all John, welcome to Liverpool Football Club...

Thank you. I'm really happy to finally be here.

How pleased are NESV to be our Club's new owner?

We're incredibly pleased. Talking to all the partners in the States, they're extremely happy.

It's been a dramatic few days - what have they been like from your point of view?

It has been a dramatic few days, twists and turns, it's been stressful but finally we have it done and that was our goal and our hope. I'm extremely proud of this team that worked on this deal.

Were you always confident this deal would go through?

No. There were many days where I was wondering whether or not we'd be going home. In fact, even today I wasn't a hundred per cent confident. There were days where I was confident but there were a lot of twists and turns here. It was a terrific team - Martin, Ian, Christian - who did a tremendous job of managing this process and I'm just happy it ended successfully.

Now the deal has been done and we can look forward, do you see similarities between Liverpool now and the Boston Red Sox team you took over?

There are a lot of similarities and that was something we've been discussing as we started doing our due diligence. We found more and more similarities between Liverpool 2010 and the Red Sox of 2001. I won't go into them at this point, but for instance the stadium issue was a big issue in Boston in 2001 and we went in there not knowing what we should do, whether we should build a new ball park or refurbish Fenway. We have the same issue here. We have to listen, learn, talk to the community, talk to the council, talk with the supporters, but the biggest issue of all is really what makes the most sense for Liverpool long term.

We're going to have to work very hard. There's a lot of work to be done to get this club to where it needs to be in the grand scheme of things. We really, through all the work we've done over the last two months, saw the challenges and problems which exist and we've got to work to address those. There is a great nucleus here off the field and on the field and we think we can build from that, but it's not going to be easy. We've got real challenges.

Some Liverpool fans expressed concern when it emerged that their Club could be sold to a new set of Americans - can you understand those fears?

I can, I absolutely can. It's been a tough three years and there were a lot of expectations created, so one thing I'm going to try not to do is to create a lot of expectations. I'm going to hopefully rather than make promises, deliver. When I say I, I mean New England Sports Ventures. We've got a very strong organisation, financially and otherwise, we have some terrific strategic thinkers and we're going to be attacking this head on starting tomorrow.

A lot of Liverpool fans all over the world are very happy today - what's your message to them?

All I can say at this point is we're going to work as hard for you as we possibly can and there's no doubt about it, you deserve it. You have supported this club through the worst of times now and we're going to do everything in our power to make the supporters proud of their club and of us. It's a big challenge but I think we're up for that challenge.

First interview and first lies
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,361 posts | 1013 
      Reply #10934: Aug 06, 2013 08:28:51 pm
      walton4,
      it's interesting reading that again now, how many of us think that they're upto the challenge now!
      Not many I'll bet!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10935: Aug 06, 2013 09:28:12 pm
      walton4,
      it's interesting reading that again now, how many of us think that they're upto the challenge now!
      Not many I'll bet!

I wouldn't be sure if John Henry and Fsg think they are to be honest.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #10936: Aug 06, 2013 10:55:21 pm
      Quite an odd quote from JWH all things considered:

'I don't know why people ask us if we are selling the club or the best players because we are not,’ said Henry, who will attend a Liverpool match this evening for the first time in 13 months. ‘We like to buy stuff, not to sell. We are not selling our best player.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2385606/Luis-Suarez-sold-according-Liverpool-owner-John-W-Henry.html
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,299 posts | 4944 
      Reply #10937: Aug 06, 2013 10:58:45 pm

I actually thought this was an old quote when I seen it above, the bit about attending his first game in 13 months threw me a bit, but turns out it's new stuff.

Odd quote indeed FL but even stranger tha JW decides to go to Norway to watch us play a few days after the Club Captain had his testimonial in our own f**king stadium.

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2013 11:13:38 pm by srslfc »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10938: Aug 06, 2013 11:01:40 pm
      I actually thought this was an old quote when I seen it above, the bit about attending his first game in 13 months threw me a bit, but turns out it's new stuff.

Odd quote indeed FL but even stranger tha JW decides to go to NOrway to watch us play a few days after the Club Captain had his testimonial in our own f**king stadium.

Nice little skiing trip no doubt, wouldn't want to interrupt that busy schedule of his now would we.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,299 posts | 4944 
      Reply #10939: Aug 06, 2013 11:05:44 pm
      Nice little skiing trip no doubt, wouldn't want to interrupt that busy schedule of his now would we.

It has really F***ing pissed me off this one Luke.

Complete lack of respect once again from our owners if you ask me.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #10940: Aug 06, 2013 11:11:50 pm
      Be very interesting to see how they react to this suarez bombshell

If john Henry wants to make amends he can start by F***ing over Luis and arsenal

Lets see those King Kong balls johnny
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #10941: Aug 06, 2013 11:16:33 pm
      Suarez is an amazingly stupid guy if he thinks Liverpool Football Club should sell their best player to their biggest rival for 4th spot this season simply because he wants to play Champions League football.

He has the mind of a four year old throwing his toys out of the pram.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,299 posts | 4944 
      Reply #10942: Aug 06, 2013 11:17:28 pm
      Suarez is an amazingly stupid guy if he thinks Liverpool Football Club should sell their best player to their biggest rival for 4th spot this season simply because he wants to play Champions League football.

Or a man who knows something we don't?
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #10943: Aug 06, 2013 11:21:40 pm
      Or a man who knows something we don't?

No, Si. I think he is boxed in at Liverpool and he knows it.

This interview is just the desperation of a selfish tosser who knows Liverpool have the power in this situation.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,484 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #10944: Aug 07, 2013 12:11:53 am
      If these new quotes from John Henry are true, then maybe he should back his statement up and go on the attack by allowing players to be bought... (we can dream)

Definitely will be interesting to see the reaction from them in relation to Suarez though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10945: Aug 07, 2013 02:08:09 am

Odd quote indeed FL but even stranger tha JW decides to go to Norway to watch us play a few days after the Club Captain had his testimonial in our own f**king stadium.

I'm hoping he's come over to sign some big fat cheques.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8614 
      Reply #10946: Aug 07, 2013 02:39:34 am

JWH went the last time we played in Norway, which was shortly after that shooting tragedy there.

Describes the large majority of millionaire, pandered to footballers.
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2013 02:58:46 am by HUYTON RED »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #10947: Aug 07, 2013 02:41:36 am

Given up trying to understand why these owners do the things they do...it's easier for me that way. Just sign the checks and let's get on with things.

Quick Reply