Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2770924 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #17940: Jun 01, 2015 06:55:54 pm
      I'd be very surprised if we see any quality being brought in mate as that would be quite a substantial change of policy.

I've been saying it for months mate, as you might recall from our conversations on this.

Now, it won't be the quality the "experts" on here want, we won't be signing a Falcao, but we have the squad built up now and the next logical step is quality additions.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #17941: Jun 01, 2015 07:10:55 pm
      I've been saying it for months mate, as you might recall from our conversations on this.

Now, it won't be the quality the "experts" on here want, we won't be signing a Falcao, but we have the squad built up now and the next logical step is quality additions.

I like you don't actually think the squad is that far away.. And it does only lack that bit of 'quality' but that quality is subjective.. Though it is safe to say that most realise we lack it there isn't any need to deride those who call for quality even though they call for it louder than you do is there? 99% of the people on here agree the squad lacks quality, you do, I do, others do.. So why they are 'experts' because they call for it even though you agree I'm not sure?

I'm personally not completely gone on Rodgers either, whatever comes of it I'm happy to get on with life and support whoever the manager is but I do think that he could and should have got more out of the talent at his disposal last season

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17942: Jun 01, 2015 07:14:52 pm

We aren't even getting linked with quality in the rumourmills though now mate.  I know our ambitions have been tempered somewhat after all those "missed" targets but even the media have worked out we're never actually going to buy quality, so stopped linking us to them.

Milner, Ings, Benteke and Clyne aren't exactly going to get fans banging on the doors of the Club shop to buy a new top with any of these names on.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17943: Jun 01, 2015 07:18:43 pm
      I like you don't actually think the squad is that far away.. And it does only lack that bit of 'quality' but that quality is subjective.. Though it is safe to say that most realise we lack it there isn't any need to deride those who call for quality even though they call for it louder than you do is there? 99% of the people on here agree the squad lacks quality, you do, I do, others do.. So why they are 'experts' because they call for it even though you agree I'm not sure?

I'm personally not completely gone on Rodgers either, whatever comes of it I'm happy to get on with life and support whoever the manager is but I do think that he could and should have got more out of the talent at his disposal last season

"Experts" as in the people who suddenly become an expert on a player they've never heard of, then start throwing wobblies when the report from the metro or whatever sh*t source, turns out to be bullshit. These "experts" then spend the whole of the next season telling us what could have been if only we'd signed the player they'd never heard of reported in the metro.
      Plenty of them on here, and they need the F**k derided out of them.

It's the same every year.
      Someone see's a report and because they like the player the report becomes the fountain of all truth and knowledge.

Meanwhile, the less hysterical posters know that 99% of media talk about transfers is complete bollocks.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17944: Jun 01, 2015 07:23:01 pm
      We aren't even getting linked with quality in the rumourmills though now mate.  I know our ambitions have been tempered somewhat after all those "missed" targets but even the media have worked out we're never actually going to buy quality, so stopped linking us to them.

Milner, Ings, Benteke and Clyne aren't exactly going to get fans banging on the doors of the Club shop to buy a new top with any of these names on.

I take absolutely no notice of what the media says.
      Once it's a done deal, fair enough, but the media get it wrong 99% of the time.

Out of the 4 players above, Benteke is the only one I don't want, but I could be completely wide of the mark about his talents having seen little of him.
      We are not going to sign a big name imo
      It will be another relative unknown, or known but others see too much of a risk. Just like Suarez and Torres.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #17945: Jun 01, 2015 07:27:30 pm

How many quality additions? I'd say we need two quality strikers, at least one quality attacking midfielder/forward, a quality CM and two first choice full backs. I'd throw a new goalie in as well.

And we need to offload a load of dross too while we're at it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17946: Jun 01, 2015 07:31:23 pm
      I think the agenda for young bright talent for the future which FSG have no doubt been driving through is important to persist with. Contrary to what people think about a lot of our players have a hell of a lot of potential that is important to unlock. I think we've got future growth on our side. Henderson, Can, Markovic, Can and Ibe have immense potential together and individually. Remain stubborn in the face of adversity.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #17947: Jun 01, 2015 07:32:21 pm
      "Experts" as in the people who suddenly become an expert on a player they've never heard of, then start throwing wobblies when the report from the metro or whatever sh*t source, turns out to be bullshit. These "experts" then spend the whole of the next season telling us what could have been if only we'd signed the player they'd never heard of reported in the metro.
      Plenty of them on here, and they need the f**k derided out of them.

It's the same every year.
      Someone see's a report and because they like the player the report becomes the fountain of all truth and knowledge.

Meanwhile, the less hysterical posters know that 99% of media talk about transfers is complete bollocks.

Oh of course it is... But to be fair there are some on here who watch a hell of a lot of European football and know those players and think they would fit in

Transfer talk does litterally nothing for me, I'd rather wait until they are in the door then think about them, but as I said I think we all can have a fair judgement at the end of a window and see if its lacking in a certain area.. If it's been a success or not.
      Last summer a lot were happy with the business bit a lot were also wary that we had left the window lacking that one special player.. That's certainly how I felt. That doesn't make me an expert but I felt it was lacking up front somewhat.. The rest I was happy with

This window with the budget we have that's what I would prioritise this summer, something special up top and let last summers signings build on a year at the club and try to subsidise them with a proper outlet up top

I don't think its revisionist to say that a lot of us thought that last summer, we brought potential in a few signings.. Gambles in a couple and possibly top end value but good additions in others. A lot of those signings if we could add a couple of top players this summer could look different players altogether
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17948: Jun 01, 2015 07:35:08 pm
      I think the agenda for young bright talent for the future which FSG have no doubt been driving through is important to persist with. Contrary to what people think about a lot of our players have a hell of a lot of potential that is important to unlock. I think we've got future growth on our side. Henderson, Can, Markovic, Can and Ibe have immense potential together and individually. Remain stubborn in the face of adversity.

I haven't forgotten, and have spoken of first season syndrome a number of times.
      There's going to be some red faces when these players kick on.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #17949: Jun 01, 2015 07:35:17 pm
      How many quality additions? I'd say we need two quality strikers, at least one quality attacking midfielder/forward, a quality CM and two first choice full backs. I'd throw a new goalie in as well.

And we need to offload a load of dross too while we're at it.

I think we need to do as little as possible this summer myself. We can't afford another complete rip up job and bedding 6-8 new faces in

I'd concentrate on a couple of real top players and then see where we are.

I think we would be suprised how much the squad could kick on with a couple of top end quality additions

, or known but others see too much of a risk. Just like Suarez and Torres.

Torres wasn't a risk or unknown, he was touted by other top clubs but Rafa convinced him here was the place to come
      Suarez was more so that.. People were concerned by his baggage.. A little like Balotelli but that one didn't work out as well

But in principle I agree.. I'd try to pick off players who are on the fringes of the worlds big sides, the talent tgere and just need the right club to ignite it

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17950: Jun 01, 2015 07:41:09 pm
      I think we need to do as little as possible this summer myself. We can't afford another complete rip up job and bedding 6-8 new faces in

I'd concentrate on a couple of real top players and then see where we are.

I think we would be suprised how much the squad could kick on with a couple of top end quality additions

Torres wasn't a risk or unknown, he was touted by other top clubs but Rafa convinced him here was the place to come
      Suarez was more so that.. People were concerned by his baggage.. A little like Balotelli but that one didn't work out as well

But in principle I agree.. I'd try to pick off players who are on the fringes of the worlds big sides, the talent tgere and just need the right club to ignite it

Torres was seen as a risk by many top managers because he didn't score many goals at the time.
      Rafa set the team up to get the best from him and he thrived.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17951: Jun 01, 2015 07:43:20 pm
      I take absolutely no notice of what the media says.
      Once it's a done deal, fair enough, but the media get it wrong 99% of the time.

Out of the 4 players above, Benteke is the only one I don't want, but I could be completely wide of the mark about his talents having seen little of him.
      We are not going to sign a big name imo
      It will be another relative unknown, or known but others see too much of a risk. Just like Suarez and Torres.

I think I'd prefer to buy none of them and use the Academy lads that actually have something to play for, than spend the best part of £70m on those 4.  I'm sick of seeing us waste millions on players no better than what we have, then being told we can't compete for the top spots because we don't have the money they have. 

It's a load of bollocks.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #17952: Jun 01, 2015 07:47:30 pm
      Torres was seen as a risk by many top managers because he didn't score many goals at the time.
      Rafa set the team up to get the best from him and he thrived.

I'm not sure mate, Utd, Chelsea looked at him and were apparently in for him at that point but Rafa got him here, essentially made him stay in the city until he convinced him that here was the place.

He was a kid who was captaining his side at 20, playing international football and got better than 1 in 3 in club football at that age. He was in demand

That's how I remember it anyway. By the by anyway

Edit:
      Just looked he got 91 in 244 for Atleti before he signed for us. That's not bad at that age in that league
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17953: Jun 01, 2015 07:54:19 pm
      I haven't forgotten, and have spoken of first season syndrome a number of times.
      There's going to be some red faces when these players kick on.

You and me both it seems. But we'll be proved right in time.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #17954: Jun 01, 2015 07:56:51 pm

"The long term prospects" where have we heard that placation before?
      Five years into that unspecified time scale the gradual improvement is none existent, we contemplate the coming season with doubt and uncertainty with the greatest mistrust directed at the very highest levels of LFC.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17955: Jun 01, 2015 07:58:48 pm

That wasn't the case at all, he constantly had the big teams after him but he wanted to stay because of his love for the club. It was only because of Rafa phoning him personally that made him feel the time was right to leave. He was captain at 19, a star player for them and bursting into his own on the international stage so wasn't seen as a risk by anyone.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17956: Jun 01, 2015 07:59:52 pm
      "The long term prospects" where have we heard that placation before?
      Five years into that unspecified time scale the gradual improvement is none existent, we contemplate the coming season with doubt and uncertainty with the greatest mistrust directed at the very highest levels of LFC.

Yeah, apart from the fact that none of the players I listed were here 5 years ago.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17957: Jun 01, 2015 09:05:12 pm
      I think I'd prefer to buy none of them and use the Academy lads that actually have something to play for, than spend the best part of £70m on those 4.  I'm sick of seeing us waste millions on players no better than what we have, then being told we can't compete for the top spots because we don't have the money they have. 

It's a load of bollocks.

To be fair Debs, we were linked to a malcontent from Chelsea and an obscure mid-fielder from Italy and they both worked out.

I am not so much into "Names" but results.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #17958: Jun 01, 2015 09:11:51 pm
      Yeah, apart from the fact that none of the players I listed were here 5 years ago.

The players mentioned by inference could take a similar time scale to show their potential.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17959: Jun 01, 2015 09:11:51 pm
      To be fair Debs, we were linked to a malcontent from Chelsea and an obscure mid-fielder from Italy and they both worked out.

I am not so much into "Names" but results.

Oh woop di F***ing doo AZ, you've managed to pick out 2 players who've been a reasonable success out of what, 40 players signed over the last 9 windows and spending well over £300m.

That's bordering on money laundering, rather than improving the team.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #17960: Jun 01, 2015 09:15:47 pm
      That wasn't the case at all, he constantly had the big teams after him but he wanted to stay because of his love for the club. It was only because of Rafa phoning him personally that made him feel the time was right to leave. He was captain at 19, a star player for them and bursting into his own on the international stage so wasn't seen as a risk by anyone.
      Every club in Europe looked at us with jealousy when Torres picked us.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #17961: Jun 01, 2015 09:23:02 pm
      Oh woop di F***ing doo AZ, you've managed to pick out 2 players who've been a reasonable success out of what, 40 players signed over the last 9 windows and spending well over £300m.

That's bordering on money laundering, rather than improving the team.

All under US owners.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17962: Jun 01, 2015 09:23:10 pm
      and spending well over £300m.

That's bordering on money laundering,

Don't think those two statements work together very well Deb.

If we sold 300 million and spent 100 million that would be one story; the fact that it was spent on the wrong targets is whole different one.

In fact FSG is screwing themselves as much as the club by the purchases themselves...flushed 200+ million down the toilet; you don't overpay on a Lovren, Moreno or Markovic in an attempt to launder money.

Might of been better for FSG to just have a bonfire of millions at Anfield versus pissing it away on some of the talent we have acquired..probably would have been more entertaining.
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2015 09:33:45 pm by AZPatriot »

Quick Reply