Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2830132 times
      Teamofthemacs
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      • By that you mean..?
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #184: Oct 15, 2010 09:41:16 pm
      At last the blight on our fantastic club has been removed. We have borne the mocking of rival fans and the constant undermining and disparaging of a too often hostile media. And yet today, the pride of Liverpool Football Club has taken it's first steps towards restoration. In time, hopefully a short time, our club will once again occupy it's rightful place amongst those very few world renowned footballing powers to which it clearly belongs. It wont happen tomorrow, next week, or a month from now, but it will happen. You have achieved this, our board has achieved this, our new owners have achieved this and together we will never walk alone. Well done everyone.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #185: Oct 15, 2010 09:55:13 pm
      They abbreviate an abbreviation, they seem efficient.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #186: Oct 15, 2010 10:01:59 pm
      Just heard on the radio that Liverpool's debt repayments will be down from 30m a year to just 3m

freeing up a 27m to spend elsewhere. Augero fro Athletico would be be a good start in January.

It would be nice, but woy would play him next to carra in defense
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #187: Oct 15, 2010 10:16:38 pm
      Can we have a big Party in the Park pleeeeeeeeeese?
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #188: Oct 15, 2010 10:31:22 pm
      Can we have a big Party in the Park pleeeeeeeeeese?

We should just make a party thread.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #189: Oct 16, 2010 12:30:49 am
      Liverpool's new owner John W Henry ready to meet Roy Hodgson and players
      New Liverpool owner John W Henry will travel to the club's Melwood training ground on Saturday to meet Roy Hodgson and the playing squad less than 24 hours after he secured the keys to Anfield.

By Paul Kelso, Chief Sports Reporter
      Published: 11:00PM BST 15 Oct 2010
      Paul's Twitter

Upbeat: John W Henry gives a thumbs-up to Liverpool fans at the offices of Slaughter and May in the City of London Photo: REUTERS
      Henry will wish his employees luck before Sunday's Merseyside derby at Goodison Park, a match he will not attend, and is likely to receive thanks in return for delivering the club from the fractious and bitter tenure of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.
      The deal that finally brought down the curtain on the most unhappy period in Liverpool's recent history was finally sealed at 4pm on Friday in the London offices of Liverpool's solicitors Slaughter and May.

Related Articles
      Henry must win hearts
      Hodgson finally able to compete in transfer market
      Liverpool fired up for Everton test
      NESV take control of Liverpool
      Equal footing for rivals
      Redknapp: beware Liverpool of foreign owners
      Eleven days after New England Sports Ventures' first attempt to close a deal worth £300 million, and after three trips to the High Court in as many days, Henry assumed control when Wells Fargo bank in San Francisco finally released the club from the last of the loan agreements taken on by Hicks and Gillett.
      Wells Fargo only agreed sign after holding out for several million pounds in fees they claimed to be owed on top of the £50 million loan repayment.
      The delay, allied to the time difference to the west coast, pushed the deal close to the 5pm deadline for RBS's £200 million loans to be repaid.
      Despite the hitches, the new owner of England's most decorated club declared himself "proud and humbled", but in contrast to his predecessors' arrival in 2007, he was careful to offer no hostages to fortune.
      He said it was too early to discuss his plans for the stadium development, player acquisitions or management.
      He did however make a commitment to a principle that will chime with supporters of a club that has not won a league title for 20 years, and never claimed the Premier League: winning.
      "We are not going to say a lot, our actions will hopefully speak for themselves," Henry said. "But we are going to do a lot of listening.
      "It's too early too say what we are going to do, but we are here to win, we have a history of winning and we will do whatever it takes to do that."
      Henry offered no insight as to how the deal will be funded, joking when asked that it will be "in pounds."
      He was quick to point out how it will not be funded: "I can guarantee you this is not a leveraged buy-out," he said.
      Under the deal, NESV paid off the £200 million acquisition debt, £150 million to RBS and £50 million to Wells Fargo, and are understood to have used cash raised from their other business activities.
      Interest payments will fall from at least £25 million per year to £2 million.
      They will take on an existing RBS loan for working capital of £37 million and assume responsibility for a £60 million loan to fund player purchases and stadium development.
      Tom Hicks and George Gillett finally conceded defeat in their battle to secure a higher price for the club shortly before 2pm, but they declined to depart the stage with dignity.
      In a statement issued by their Dallas attorneys, the pair threatened to wrap the club in litigation for years to come as they pursue more than £1bn in damages for what they described as an "extraordinary swindle".
      "They will be applying all of their energies toward securing at least $1.6bn (£1.06 million) in damages they expect will result from the illegal sale of Liverpool Football Club," the statement said.
      On Friday night they said that in compliance with a High Court order issued on Thursday they had withdrawn a damages claim lodged in a Texas court on Wednesday, but added that they would challenge the British ruling in order to pursue damages.
      Liverpool and RBS said on Friday night they would resist such claims.
      The final hours of the NESV deal were as dramatic and at times uncertain as the 11 days that preceded it, and left Henry pacing the offices of Slaughter and May in anxiety as the day dragged on.
      "John was very twitchy," said a source close to the negotiations.
      "Given the twists and turns that have taken place I don't think anyone was ever 100 per cent certain that we would get it done."
      A day that had to end with the 5pm deadline imposed by RBS began with Henry tweeting his displeasure at a last-minute attempt to hijack his deal by Mill Financial, working in tandem with Hicks.
      "Final attempt to entrench their regime," he said.
      At 8.30am came news that Hicks and Gillett had withdrawn the Texas order imposed on Wednesday night preventing the sale going ahead.
      The news freed Liverpool and NESV to proceed, but also raised concerns that Mill would try and step in.
      Mill, controlled by Washington Redskins owner Dwight Shah, approached RBS to try and pay off some of the debt on Thursday and also requested that the Premier League subject them to its ownership tests. Both declined.
      Mill is initially understood to have made a "lowball" offer worth between £100m-£200m less than NESV's without the knowledge of Hicks and Gillett, but when Henry's bid went public they contacted Hicks.
      Ultimately they failed because of legal barriers erected by RBS and club chairman Martin Broughton, which yesterday delivered the club to their preferred bidder.
      Lawyers for the bank, club and NESV began final checks on the sale and purchase agreement agreed this week after the restraining order was lifted, and the signing process began at 12.30pm.
      Henry added his signature to that of Broughton and RBS at around 12.45pm, leaving only Wells Fargo's consent for the deal to progress.
      That final hurdle was cleared at 4pm, and £200m lodged in an account at NESV's London solicitors flowed to the two banks, freeing the club from the weight of its debt burden.
      That ended the resistance of Hicks and Gillett, who fought every attempt to sell the club from under them. A source said that of eight spoiling measures Broughton's lawyers had predicted, the Americans used three.
      Their final personal contact with the club came on Wednesday night at a bad-tempered board meeting that ratified the NESV deal.
      Thereafter they were spectators, powerless to act as the deal progressed.
      "As every Liverpool fan knows, the most nerve-racking way of winning a game is on penalties," said Broughton. "But as long as you get the right result it's worth the wait. We got the right result."
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #190: Oct 16, 2010 12:37:41 am
      I guess that's a start.

I think if the relationship of the owners, manager and players are mutual, it could benefit everyone in a way.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #191: Oct 16, 2010 12:42:06 am
      Where's that article from, Tim?
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #192: Oct 16, 2010 12:49:59 am
      A very warm welcome to NESV who I'm sure will move the club in the right direction for the future.  Well done to Martin Broughton for helping seal the deal and staying confident throughout all this weeks events, I admit I was one of the people who was sceptical of a Chelsea fan helping to find new owners, but it looks like he has done his homework with these guys and we will now have to see what they intend to do with the stadium development, transfer budgets etc etc.

Just glad this is finally over and we can get back to winning ways on the pitch now!

Well would you look at that, my 5,000th post what a coincidence  :roll:  :P
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #193: Oct 16, 2010 12:52:44 am
      @HampshireRed

Drinks on you then, I'll fire up the barbie!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #194: Oct 16, 2010 12:53:31 am
      Where's that article from, Tim?

The Guardian its Paul Kelso
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #195: Oct 16, 2010 12:54:52 am
      Nice one AJ
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #196: Oct 16, 2010 01:11:13 am
      A toast to Martin Broughton... Thank you!! I had my doubts about his position but he has truely served the fans, and shafted the Yanks! Well done Mr Broughton, let's hope the good times roll and his work will work out for us. Well chuffed with the make shift board that managed to get rid of those idiots and provide us with proven winners. Let's hope they can provide us with the gems they took to the Red Sox!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #197: Oct 16, 2010 01:12:25 am
      Should be our new motto:

Nothing
      Ever
      Stops
      Victory

I'll get my coat.  ;)
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #198: Oct 16, 2010 01:15:54 am
      Getting home each day trying to find out if the sale of the club had finally gone through, often been frustrated by Sky news reporting on miners in Chile rather than my beloved 'Pool after gagging all day to know what the latest was on the saving the club form the destructive clutches of the infamous gruesome twosome...But it all now seems so surreal and satisfying to know that the sale is over and one can finally breathe again.
      Well done to all, and welcome NESV. Do your very best not to disappoint us. Having suffered so utterly at the hands of the last two brainless twits, we certainly deserve better from you...
      So this is what bliss fells like aye? 8)
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #199: Oct 16, 2010 04:44:02 am
      Again, well done and a big thank you to Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow (Cecil, to the foot n mouth people who have been left with egg on their face) and Ian Ayre et al who steered the club away from the shackles and greed of Hicks and Gillete. It's hard to put into words the relief I and millions of other Liverpool fans around the world are feeling - so I won't.

I've watched Henry's 'first' interview on LFC TV and to me he seems similar to Broughton in that he keeps his cards very close to his chest. He's obviously observed the big mouth promises of this and that from H&G and has taken a contrary view with regards to our football club. I'm hoping that his actions do in fact speak louder than words and that he can financially move our club forward again - back where it belongs.

Welcome NESV,

YNWA fellow Reds.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #200: Oct 16, 2010 12:11:21 pm
      John Henry is at Melwood meeting the players and Roy already  ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #201: Oct 16, 2010 12:21:23 pm
      RyanBabel  Ryan Babel
      We r at melwood.. Meeting the new owner now .

RyanBabel  Ryan Babel
      Was a short but good meeting .. He is humble and proud to be part of LFC ...

Theres Ryans take on things, short but sweet, shame we can't the say the same thing about his #lfc career.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #202: Oct 16, 2010 12:29:29 pm
      Good that NESV is not into promises, at least we are not buying into another. I think NESV is all about delivering and cementing their mark in the business....so welcome to the club and be the proud owner of LIVERPOOL FC, the most successful club in English footballing history and please no..
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #203: Oct 16, 2010 12:32:24 pm
      New start clean sheet it is up to them if they do the right things off the pitch we will support them 100%.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #204: Oct 16, 2010 02:04:02 pm
      Just to clear things up, NESV are 100% owners of LFC right?

Or is it 50% Mill 50% NESV? I highly doubt it though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #205: Oct 16, 2010 02:05:54 pm

%100 NESV
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #206: Oct 16, 2010 02:06:59 pm

F**k that I think I'd commit suicide.

Quick Reply