Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2773035 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #25898: Aug 25, 2020 06:36:50 pm
      Haven't we always kind of bought when we sold though to a certain extent?

And didn't FSG make it very clear when they bought us that that would broadly be their policy?

For me if the club's is running well and we are getting the success on the pitch then I've no real issue with transfer policy at the moment.

Yep - for as long as I can remember all the way back to 70/80ā€™s - Keegan leaving and a Kenny arriving , Rush leaving and Barnes and Co arriving - we just replaced very well and improved- something we seem to be doing right now as well
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25899: Aug 26, 2020 08:47:13 am
      Any reds who defend our transfer strategy and who ignore the alarming net spend tables would definitely pay a lot more attention to them if JĆ¼rgen left.

We are truly blessed with the best coach in world football and Iā€™d go as far as saying that no other manager could work under these restraints and deliver the same results. He is working miracles.

When the day comes and JĆ¼rgen leaves us, a lot more reds will turn on the owners if, presumably, they donā€™t change their ways because I promise you now, we wonā€™t be competitive on the pitch...at all.

Spurs are below us in net spend aren't they but until the past few years they were consistently above us in the table, often challenging for the title as well. It can be done by more than just JĆ¼rgen but of course I concede that its easier with more money
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #25900: Aug 26, 2020 10:15:28 am
      Haven't we always kind of bought when we sold though to a certain extent?

And didn't FSG make it very clear when they bought us that that would broadly be their policy?

For me if the club is running well and we are getting the success on the pitch then I've no real issue with transfer policy at the moment.

most clubs do. only a select few with crackpot owners with more money than sense that dont.

My point of view, enjoy the success on and off the park while its here, we know from experience it doesn't last for ever, even with good owners and good managers.

We are blessed to have klopp, we were blessed to get shanks in the 60s, imagine if those owners hadn't got shanks, we may still be in div2. ;D

so kudos to klopp, kudoss to his back room team, kudos to the players, and kudos to the owners for putting all the pieces together whilst balancing the books.

Enjoy it lads.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #25901: Aug 26, 2020 12:52:55 pm
      most clubs do. only a select few with crackpot owners with more money than sense that dont.

My point of view, enjoy the success on and off the park while its here, we know from experience it doesn't last for ever, even with good owners and good managers.

We are blessed to have klopp, we were blessed to get shanks in the 60s, imagine if those owners hadn't got shanks, we may still be in div2. ;D

so kudos to klopp, kudoss to his back room team, kudos to the players, and kudos to the owners for putting all the pieces together whilst balancing the books.

Enjoy it lads.

Pretty much where I'm at mate.

The owners have made a few stupid mistakes over their time here but at the moment I'm content with how the club is being run especially in terms of transfer policy and youth development.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25902: Aug 26, 2020 12:58:53 pm

The owners have made a few stupid mistakes over their time here but at the moment I'm content with how the club is being run especially in terms of transfer policy and youth development.

It all comes back to their "moneyball" approach.
      They said at the beginning they wanted to do things differently, and were convinced an analytical approach based on as much data as possible would work, which is when they snaffled Edwards from (I think) Spurs.
      He appears to have built a team that is top notch at identifying great talents at good prices, who can blossom, or are just about to blossom. Our front line is a great example of that
      Add to the mix Klopp and a world class coaching staff, medical staff, all the most up to date sports science, and now to complement that, a new training centre.
      To me they've really brought us forwards after years of what can only be termed neglect.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #25903: Aug 26, 2020 04:23:15 pm

Exactly, and FSG might well sell up at some point, and in 4 years klopp will be gone.

But thats in the future, not something im overly worried about, following LFC for 40 off my 47 years, this is a bloody good time to be an LFC fan. enjoy it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25904: Sep 07, 2020 09:27:49 am
      Very interesting thread from Swiss Ramble on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1302855202089971713?s=19
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #25905: Sep 07, 2020 09:57:51 am
      FSG are playing the long game, hedging against uncertainty with Covid. Other clubs are banking on it not being drug out even much past this year and taking advantage of a buyers market. Whose tactics pay off in the long run remains to be seen but the thing about FSGā€™s wait and see approach, they may have the best coach in the game to do something with not very much investment. Problem is, if we arenā€™t going to see the payoff of this strategy (in player investment) till some years down the road, Klopp will likely be gone and who knows what that team and coach looks like. FSG may just pull up stakes at that point and sell and take their profit. We have JĆ¼rgen for what, 4 more years? Iā€™d really rather we gamble a bit now and win as much as possible. Neither the present or future are guaranteed but the present is a whole hell of a lot easier to control than the future.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #25906: Sep 07, 2020 10:08:22 am

Very interesting and highly informative, thanks for posting.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #25907: Sep 07, 2020 10:35:10 am

Shows over time the books are balanced, nowhere near as much debt as other clubs, spending on infrastructure (stadium & training ground), while at same time they have improved the team/squad to be winners.

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #25908: Sep 07, 2020 12:43:31 pm
      He appears to have built a team that is top notch at identifying great talents at good prices, who can blossom, or are just about to blossom.

This is why some of us are restless. We (some of us) can identify a great talent, and want the club to acquire them at all costs.

Extreme advocates of spending would be to buy, buy and buy. Any talent including all hits and misses, covering all ground and preventing the other teams from acquiring players we think will threaten us.

Good thing most of us are sane and not so extreme.

I love it when we sell above our acquisition cost and pick up bargains like a Robbo or develop players like TAA who have no transfer fee. This bunch of owners are really money masters. We buy well and we sell well. Watching them sell Gini for a good price next.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25909: Sep 07, 2020 01:19:14 pm

This covers just about every base, comparing our approach with other teams, thoroughly explaining how we see value (appreciating and deteriorating) in the playing staff and transfer market, and looking at actual financial situation, not just pulling one figure related to prize money and concluding how rich we must be.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25910: Sep 07, 2020 01:22:26 pm

This covers just about every base, comparing our approach with other teams, thoroughly explaining how we see value (appreciating and deteriorating) in the playing staff and transfer market, and looking at actual financial situation, not just pulling one figure related to prize money and concluding how rich we must be.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #25911: Sep 07, 2020 01:43:12 pm

Yep read it earlier and if you agree with it or not the fact is we may well be there to be shot at this season. We will find it harder to be as motivated as we have been in the past few seasons.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #25912: Sep 07, 2020 01:51:10 pm

Wasn't sure where to put it but this thread is a very interesting read in terms of the club's finances and why we appear to be being cautious
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2020 05:13:44 pm by srslfc »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #25913: Sep 07, 2020 01:55:02 pm

Wasn't sure where to out it but this thread is a very interesting read in terms of the club's finances and why we appear to be being cautious

https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,33716.msg2327431.html#msg2327431

:D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #25914: Sep 07, 2020 05:13:34 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6753 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25915: Sep 08, 2020 01:37:58 am
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5012 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25916: Sep 08, 2020 05:03:56 am
      Glad this was posted, it explains to us mere mortals how well the clubā€™s being run as opposed to otherā€™s, just because otherā€™s are spending MiĀ£Ā£ions it doesnā€™t mean we have to, JĆ¼rgen is a builder, he also likes to use what he has at his disposal and that includes developing from within,

He is the best gaffer on the planet, he knows what he is doing, cannot argue otherwise, the proof is happening right in front of our very eyes, the successes weā€™ve had thus far reinforces this, back to back CL Finals, winning one, super cup victory, club World Cup winners, and of course the holy grail after 30 long years, heā€™s managed all this on a relatively shoestring budget, compered to what the likes of City, MUtants, Chavs, Spuds & the Arse have spunked over the last few years,

There will come a time where he may well need to spend a few million to get what he wants, FSG wonā€™t stand in his way when this eventuality occurs, we have seen that already with the arrival of Ali & Virgil albeit from the coutinho sale, as for the long term, I think we will be fine, even if FSG sold up, they would be leaving us in good health, amen to that!

Y  N  W  A
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #25917: Sep 08, 2020 07:46:45 am
      operating more like a normal footy club and winning trophies beats spending billions and winning trophies! operating the way we do earns respect and clout from the right people and shows long term we're on the right path
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3954 
      Reply #25918: Sep 08, 2020 08:50:23 am
      Glad this was posted, it explains to us mere mortals how well the clubā€™s being run as opposed to otherā€™s, just because otherā€™s are spending MiĀ£Ā£ions it doesnā€™t mean we have to, JĆ¼rgen is a builder, he also likes to use what he has at his disposal and that includes developing from within,

He is the best gaffer on the planet, he knows what he is doing, cannot argue otherwise, the proof is happening right in front of our very eyes, the successes weā€™ve had thus far reinforces this, back to back CL Finals, winning one, super cup victory, club World Cup winners, and of course the holy grail after 30 long years, heā€™s managed all this on a relatively shoestring budget, compered to what the likes of City, MUtants, Chavs, Spuds & the Arse have spunked over the last few years,

There will come a time where he may well need to spend a few million to get what he wants, FSG wonā€™t stand in his way when this eventuality occurs, we have seen that already with the arrival of Ali & Virgil albeit from the coutinho sale, as for the long term, I think we will be fine, even if FSG sold up, they would be leaving us in good health, amen to that!
                                                         Y  N  W  A

Excellent post mate.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3954 
      Reply #25919: Sep 08, 2020 11:13:01 am

Wasn't sure where to put it but this thread is a very interesting read in terms of the club's finances and why we appear to be being cautious

ā€œCautiousā€ in financial terms and in the context of the highly competitive Premier League is only feasible with a genius of a manager.

A manager who has an unbelievable eye for potential and the ability to nurture talent and inspire the team.

Pre-Klopp the stats were much less encouraging.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #25920: Sep 08, 2020 11:15:35 am
      ā€œCautiousā€ in financial terms and in the context of the highly competitive Premier League is only feasible with a genius of a manager.

A manager who has an unbelievable eye for potential and the ability to nurture talent and inspire the team.

Pre-Klopp the stats were much less encouraging.

Two things.

The owners hired a manager to work in their system.

Also it's the club who identify players and JĆ¼rgen works with them.

Quick Reply