Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2771769 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #2852: Mar 22, 2012 03:54:28 pm
      We don't necessarily need to spend big this summer, we just need to buy right..

Spending big money will guarentee nothing.

Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #2853: Mar 22, 2012 04:23:39 pm
      I'd like to hear what FSG thinks about the current team.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2854: Mar 22, 2012 04:27:45 pm
      I'd like to hear what FSG thinks about the current team.

I'd like to think they understand it's a work in progress and that they stick by their 4-5 year original plan to get us back where we belong.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2855: Mar 22, 2012 04:32:46 pm
      We do need to spend big the players we need will not be cheap
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2856: Mar 22, 2012 04:37:24 pm
      Don't agree Corb. I think we will have around 35 million to spend summer, if we spent the bulk of that on a top forward and supplemented that with Keita and Hoilett on frees I'd be happy. And think they would improve us.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2857: Mar 22, 2012 04:52:55 pm
      Keita is going on 33 while Hoilett appears to be rated higher by Liverpool fans than Blackburn fans. Neither player would make a massive difference.

I like Keita but his legs are beginning to go. We need a top class creative midfielder i'd argue nearly as much as a striker.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2858: Mar 22, 2012 05:11:38 pm
      I think what you are going to have to accept at some point though Corb is we haven't got unlimited cash and we will have to be canny with the money. I'd like a few world class players to come in but we aren't in the position to be able to do that it seems.

Keita as a short term solution added to Lucas return would help the middle of the park. Hoilett is a relative none gamble on a free, he has pace to burn and looks to be able to create. Arsenal and Spurs seem to like the lad so I dont see why we shouldn't look at him as it won't cost us a fee.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2859: Mar 22, 2012 05:11:50 pm
      We don't necessarily need to spend big this summer, we just need to buy right...

Indeed P_d... Something that Diego has also referenced in this post:

My main concern is regarding the quality of our spending. We cannot compare our flops to Man City's ("£35M Carroll failed, but so did Robinho for a similar price"), because they can afford millionaire mistakes. Can we? I can't see us overspending the likes of City and Chelsea. Therefore, we have to be wiser, spend better, not more than them.

I "agreed" with Diego... so it's only natural that I agree with you; isn't it?  Or am I being thick?  :dunceblock:

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2860: Mar 22, 2012 05:15:32 pm
      I think what you are going to have to accept at some point though Corb is we haven't got unlimited cash and we will have to be canny with the money. I'd like a few world class players to come in but we aren't in the position to be able to do that it seems.

Keita as a short term solution added to Lucas return would help the middle of the park. Hoilett is a relative none gamble on a free, he has pace to burn and looks to be able to create. Arsenal and Spurs seem to like the lad so I dont see why we shouldn't look at him as it won't cost us a fee.

You can be canny all you want mate but buying hoilett and Keita will do nothing to bridge the massive gap that is now there
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2861: Mar 22, 2012 05:25:05 pm
      You can be canny all you want mate but buying hoilett and Keita will do nothing to bridge the massive gap that is now there

Who knows...

We don't have the cash to do it the way you seem to want us to do so I dont see the alternative.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #2862: Mar 22, 2012 05:27:16 pm

I cannot help but think that you will still be unhappy and pessimistic with who ever is bought in the Summer.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2863: Mar 22, 2012 05:30:05 pm
      Depends who we buy, if we see the arrival of players like Jarvis, Bent and say Sinclair of course i will. But if we target genuine quality like Muniain Martinez etc of course i wont.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2864: Mar 22, 2012 05:37:34 pm
      Depends who we buy, if we see the arrival of players like Jarvis, Bent and say Sinclair of course i will. But if we target genuine quality like Muniain Martinez etc of course i wont.

Then you will be then because we don't have the budget or potential champions league( depending who else is in for them) to offer those types.. But the budget certainly.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #2865: Mar 22, 2012 05:40:19 pm
      We can't afford to spend crazy money for the sake to compete with City or Madrid. We have to be articulate and exact on who we're going to buy and how well he'll be suited to our style of play.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2866: Mar 22, 2012 05:40:25 pm
      Well if we are not signing that type and are targeting free transfers it will be a long long time before we are competing for top 4 again never mind the league.

Surprised you know what the budget is in the Summer
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2867: Mar 22, 2012 06:02:03 pm
      Well if we are not signing that type and are targeting free transfers it will be a long long time before we are competing for top 4 again never mind the league.

Surprised you know what the budget is in the Summer

I did say it was a guess and my opinion based on what the owners have stated in the past. I don't see any reason to doubt that or think they will do anything different.

I'm not as downbeat about it though, I don't buy into you having to spend 30 million to get a good player that will improve us.
      Scout and buy right..
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2868: Mar 22, 2012 06:03:04 pm
      Is that what we did last summer, would love to read the scouting report on Adam.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2869: Mar 22, 2012 06:05:40 pm
      If they were to give us a budget of 20m next year i would not be surprised to be honest and i don't think Kenny or anyone else for that matter can have ago, because they have already showed faith in Kenny by providing the funds for his three big signings, Carroll, Henderson & Downing who haven't set our team by storm yet, so i could understand why they would be apprehensive in giving Kenny that much money again.

Can see Kenny having to get rid of a couple players if he is to acquire a couple quality signings.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2870: Mar 22, 2012 06:07:15 pm
      They have provided little funds of there own so far, this will not be done on the cheap
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2871: Mar 22, 2012 06:08:39 pm
      Is that what we did last summer, would love to read the scouting report on Adam.

Just because you get the odd one wrong doesn't mean the theory is flawed does it?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2872: Mar 22, 2012 06:09:42 pm
      Every club is scouting looking for bargains but you cant fill your team with bargains if you want to win titles
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2873: Mar 22, 2012 06:09:54 pm
      They have provided little funds of there own so far, this will not be done on the cheap

No but I think we know enough to know that they are not going to bankroll us from their own money..

It's going to be have to done slowly and require patience from all.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2874: Mar 22, 2012 06:11:38 pm
      Every club is scouting looking for bargains but you cant fill your team with bargains if you want to win titles

We haven't.. Was Suarez a bargain?

But then I'd say Enrique Bellamy and Coates were .. And in my opinion Henderson will grow into a very good signing, and if/when he does he will fall into either bargain or value for money.

Quick Reply