Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2756511 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #23667: Dec 28, 2017 05:40:05 pm
      So Henry can turn up to a meaningless friendly between Ingerland and Brazil but can't turn up for Kenny and the club when he should. Clearly got his priorities right.

He knows F**k all about football end of.
      Could be the reason it's taken him 8 years to appreciate the true worth of LFC, if that is indeed the case.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #23668: Dec 28, 2017 06:03:29 pm
      Personally I don't blame FSG only, but LFC as a club have utterly failed to keep their top players not called Steven Gerrard.

How many world class talents have we had at the club in the past 10 years?

Xabi Alonso. Javier Mascherano. Fernando Torres. Luis Suarez. All gone to win the biggest trophies of their careers elsewhere.
      Sterling wasn't a world class player for us but arguably had the potential to be. Gone as well.
      Philippe Coutinho is the next one likely to achieve that level and could be gone soon too.

Obviously, if we eventually lose Coutinho, it doesn't have to be the end of the world. Even the best teams lose players at times (though those trying to equate this situation to Barcelona losing Neymar are clutching at straws, he only left because he had a release clause), the way we react to it is going to be crucial though - we must continue to build a strong enough team so that our next player nearing his peak will actually want to stay at the club. There's no denying however that the narrative so far has been one of nurturing promising players to achieve their best, and then selling. That was going on before FSG but they are yet to stop the cycle.

We have spent a lot on transfers also since before FSG (Houllier and Benitez total spending was relatively high) but for a long time not as much in wages, which is actually more correlated to success. I can't see us paying anyone something close to what Suarez earns at Barcelona, for example, but instead we think it's a good idea to pay 30m+ for Benteke, 20m for Markovic and other very questionable transfers of that sort (if the internet is to be believed, Suarez earns nearly double our highest earner). The likes of Bayern Munich and Chelsea in the past 6 years have paid their players more, retained more talent, and as a result needed less spending in transfers compared to us, who had to overcompensate for a weaker starting point and a preference to spend on transfers rather than wages.

I understood the need for rebuilding at multiple times during FSG's reign. In my opinion they made mistakes changing managers far too often. I can see the process currently undergoing and hope the optimists are right, that it will continue to go on the right direction. I sure hope this is the case. I'm unable to be as optimistic as some here - been let down too many times - but I hope they're absolutely right.

Diego ffs mate, get up off yer knees, Mr Doom & f***in Gloom, i and the rest of us fickle fans are well aware of our recent past regarding revolving managers, top players not named Gerrard, and monies spunked on average mediocrity,
      We have also been frustrated and let down by so called 'ambition' from fraudulent owners and left on the scrap heap,
      So what else are we to do, when the sh*t hits the fan, when F**k all ambition actually exists,

Only thing we all have deep down is belief, belief in that things turn around and work for us instead of against, prior to Klopp coming in we were going nowhere with little ambition, now look at us, remember "From Doubters to Believers"
      Were you a doubter or believer back then ? We all know the answer, don't we,

Sounds like your still a doubter mate, open your eyes bud, a few years back we were lucky if we could spend £7.5m nevermind £75m,

Mate if you can't get excited about our club right now then you may as well cart yourself off to your local Monastery,

Hari Krishna is a Red btw, look how much faith he has ?

YNWA
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #23669: Dec 28, 2017 06:31:50 pm

Diego ffs mate, get up off yer knees, Mr Doom & f***in Gloom, i and the rest of us fickle fans are well aware of our recent past regarding revolving managers, top players not named Gerrard, and monies spunked on average mediocrity,
      We have also been frustrated and let down by so called 'ambition' from fraudulent owners and left on the scrap heap,
      So what else are we to do, when the sh*t hits the fan, when f**k all ambition actually exists,

Only thing we all have deep down is belief, belief in that things turn around and work for us instead of against, prior to Klopp coming in we were going nowhere with little ambition, now look at us, remember "From Doubters to Believers"
      Were you a doubter or believer back then ? We all know the answer, don't we,

Sounds like your still a doubter mate, open your eyes bud, a few years back we were lucky if we could spend £7.5m nevermind £75m,

Mate if you can't get excited about our club right now then you may as well cart yourself off to your local Monastery,

Hari Krishna is a Red btw, look how much faith he has ?

YNWA

Nah you are misinterpreting me, I am just being cautious here.
      I am excited about this team, I am a huge fan of Klopp and I am happy about van Dijk, as I think he'd probably start at nearly every club in the world.
      I am reasonably happy with the direction we're taking, I am just wary of past mistakes. I'm able to enjoy our team without necessarily pretending to myself that all is rosy and fine.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #23670: Dec 28, 2017 06:42:31 pm
      What exactly would they have to do to convince you, assuming they give 2 fucks about your opinion as opposed to Klopp's of course?

I already told you what they have to do to convince me.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #23671: Dec 28, 2017 06:44:33 pm
      I am excited about this team, I am a huge fan of Klopp and I am happy about van Dijk, as I think he'd probably start at nearly every club in the world.
      I am reasonably happy with the direction we're taking, I am just wary of past mistakes. I'm able to enjoy our team without necessarily pretending to myself that all is rosy and fine.

Well said pretty much how I feel as well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #23672: Dec 28, 2017 06:50:04 pm
      Saw online earlier someone saying Lindeloaf cost 35mill and VVD is at least twice the player so fee is about right. Lad has a point when putting it like that :laugh:

Wasn't Carra was it? :D He said something similar.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #23673: Dec 28, 2017 07:15:25 pm

Fairy muff mate, you just sounded as though you no longer have any belief, too many xmas pies maybe ?

YNWA
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #23674: Dec 28, 2017 07:18:52 pm

Fairy muff mate, you just sounded as though you no longer have any belief, too many xmas pies maybe ?

YNWA

Haha maybe mate

I get depressed sometimes when I see us battling for 4th, but that's not Klopp's fault, the weight of nearly 3 decades without a league title should not be on his shoulders. So I may be a bit grumpy at times but I can separate things. Think we got a great manager and the club has been showing some positive signs of late, long may that continue
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #23675: Dec 28, 2017 08:12:14 pm
      Signing Dick Van Dyke is maybe a sign they think we can win something this year. Maybe the CL given that it is as open a year in that competition as it has been for many years. Keeping Coutinho is difficult although Barcelona may not be as tempting as people think. They are having an Indian summer but Messi does not have that long left and that is the end of them for a while. PSG or City however would come in for him. Currently we have one of the best offences in Europe. Van Dyke and Keita, more of that individual quality aligned to our overall philosophy, he might stay. I do love Coutinho's style however I would see getting TAA, Woodburn and Brewster up to scratch in the near future as a real priority.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #23676: Dec 28, 2017 08:18:47 pm
      So many slagged Klopp Off because he never got an alternative to VVD. Well if he did, he would get slated for taking second best also rans.
      Also, some players just use us as stepping stones to other clubs, so Klopp was right to wait for VVD as he now had his no 1 target for that position, with a player who wants to play for LFC above other interested top clubs.
      That’s how you build a team of players who want to stay long term to win things with LFC. You can build sides around these players and the stronger we get, the more likely other top players will PREFER to play for us.
      Personally I think it’s been worth waiting for, as is the Keita deal.  With a decent defensive mid next, we are well on the way to where Klopp clearly wants us to be.
      This could also convince Couts to stay a couple of seasons to be a big part of something great about to take place.
      Can you imagine our attacking ability coupled with a solid defence and s more dynamic mid field.
      Something good is Building here I tell you. Have faith, hold tight and hang on !
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #23677: Dec 28, 2017 08:49:58 pm
      Another post in this forum which I very much agree with the sentiment behind it, but do have my reservations regarding the point being made.

Patience may be key indeed. But I've heard that story far too many times to be entirely convinced.

We may have addressed a pressing need, but we'll probably soon be losing one of our best players. Why? Because he's been at the club for years and challenged for very little. He understandably wants more.

Sadio, Mo and Bobby may be loving life in Liverpool at the minute, but as they get older and the most they've seen of a trophy in Liverpool is during stadium tours, they will be asking to leave as well. The ones committed to the cause will be the average mediocre ones that couldn't find something better, or a Gerrard type that comes once in a generation.

The lack of managerial stability at the club hasn't helped - changing from Kenny, to Rodgers, to Klopp, amid losing so much quality, has led to a disjointed recruiting effort and we've been pretty much "rebuilding", "looking into the future", "onwards and upwards" for this whole period.

I fully understand your reservations. The reason why I'm probably more optimistic than some is because I've only started supporting Liverpool since 2004 and been active on this forum for little over two years (so I have no idea what it was like with previous managers here).

Since then I've seen us win 1 FA Cup, 1 CL and 1 League Cup. I've seen us play under Benitez, Hodgson, Dalglish, Rodgers and now Klopp. This is the most excited I've been about a team since the '09 season. Of course we were brilliant in the '13-'14 season, but that succes was never going to be sustainable.

You're spot on about the lack of managerial stability for the last about decade now. All managers we've had, had a different style of play, needed different profiles of players, ... And since Benitez, none of them really had a long term plan or long term project. Even Rodgers didn't have a clue where to go or what to do after the nearly season. If he had a plan, he should've stuck to it. He didn't and that's one of the reasons I think it didn't work anymore.

In the grand scheme of things and considering for how long many people on here have supported Liverpool, I understand that asking for patience seems pretty stupid now / an empty promise. I'm not telling people to be patient with the club as a whole or with the owners. Just to be patient with Klopp, who you rightly say shouldn't wear the weight of not winning the league in 25 years on his shoulders. I think that what he has done with the club and how people / players these days look at our club, is nothing short of a small miracle considering where he had to start.

Also since these owner's reign, there has come a bit of a shift in transfer policy since Klopp has arrived. We had this scattergun approach, bringing in many cheap, young, talented players. We're still bringing in young players, but they're 'established' young players who have proven themselves. Compare Mane, Salah, Keita, Van Dijk, Robertson, Wijnaldum, ... To what we were bringing in the five years before Klopp arrived. As long as the owners keep giving Klopp what he wants, as they seem to be doing right now, I'm hopeful.

I know I come across as optimistic, that's just my outlook on life. Life is too short to be cynical or pessimistic, enjoy the good times. Klopp said it well in his Christmas message:

"But I think in football, as in life, you can make a choice to be joyful and enjoy great moments and great times together."

That's what I try to do, I choose to be joyful and enjoy the good times, the amazing football we play, the young, talented players that are coming to our beautiful club.

That doesn't mean that I'm blind for our weaknesses or that I can't get frustrated when we lose / draw / give up stupid goals. I just try to push that feeling aside as quick as possible.
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017 08:56:37 pm by Danzel »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #23678: Dec 28, 2017 10:14:14 pm
      Also since these owner's reign, there has come a bit of a shift in transfer policy since Klopp has arrived. We had this scattergun approach, bringing in many cheap, young, talented players. We're still bringing in young players, but they're 'established' young players who have proven themselves. Compare Mane, Salah, Keita, Van Dijk, Robertson, Wijnaldum, ... To what we were bringing in the five years before Klopp arrived. As long as the owners keep giving Klopp what he wants, as they seem to be doing right now, I'm hopeful.

This is a great post in general, but I'd like to highlight that passage. I believe you're right here. We're still targeting players who are relatively young and yet to reach their prime, but there seems to be a more solid approach now, looking towards more established players than before. Even one that has backfired, Lloris Karius, had a decent bit of experience in the Bundesliga before arriving. He's still young and I haven't lost all hope on him, but I hope that position is addressed soon.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #23679: Dec 28, 2017 10:52:58 pm

I'm not talking in 1 year mate im talking over the course of their ownership ...
      And as I've said many times I want them to prove me wrong but they need to do a lot more until I am convinced.

I agree with you that longer term is more important than short-term things like transfers. In terms of long-term investment, the owners have expanded the stadium, they have spent millions revamping the club shops, they are in the process of redeveloping the Academy and / or Melwood, and are also looking at possibly expanding the Anfield Road end to add more capacity to Anfield.

All of this means that the club is able to make more income over time so we can compete financially with the likes of Real Madrid and Man Utd.

If you look at the reported revenue from the top clubs over recent years, you'll see that we are closing that gap. When they took over we were much further away from the likes of Man Utd in terms of our annual revenue than we are now. The owners have invested massively in giving the club sustainable sources of revenue so that we can afford to sign players like this on a regular basis.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #23680: Dec 28, 2017 11:06:01 pm
      Personally I don't blame FSG only, but LFC as a club have utterly failed to keep their top players not called Steven Gerrard.

How many world class talents have we had at the club in the past 10 years?

Xabi Alonso. Javier Mascherano. Fernando Torres. Luis Suarez. All gone to win the biggest trophies of their careers elsewhere.
      Sterling wasn't a world class player for us but arguably had the potential to be. Gone as well.
      Philippe Coutinho is the next one likely to achieve that level and could be gone soon too.

Obviously, if we eventually lose Coutinho, it doesn't have to be the end of the world. Even the best teams lose players at times (though those trying to equate this situation to Barcelona losing Neymar are clutching at straws, he only left because he had a release clause), the way we react to it is going to be crucial though - we must continue to build a strong enough team so that our next player nearing his peak will actually want to stay at the club. There's no denying however that the narrative so far has been one of nurturing promising players to achieve their best, and then selling. That was going on before FSG but they are yet to stop the cycle.

We have spent a lot on transfers also since before FSG (Houllier and Benitez total spending was relatively high) but for a long time not as much in wages, which is actually more correlated to success. I can't see us paying anyone something close to what Suarez earns at Barcelona, for example, but instead we think it's a good idea to pay 30m+ for Benteke, 20m for Markovic and other very questionable transfers of that sort (if the internet is to be believed, Suarez earns nearly double our highest earner). The likes of Bayern Munich and Chelsea in the past 6 years have paid their players more, retained more talent, and as a result needed less spending in transfers compared to us, who had to overcompensate for a weaker starting point and a preference to spend on transfers rather than wages.

I understood the need for rebuilding at multiple times during FSG's reign. In my opinion they made mistakes changing managers far too often. I can see the process currently undergoing and hope the optimists are right, that it will continue to go on the right direction. I sure hope this is the case. I'm unable to be as optimistic as some here - been let down too many times - but I hope they're absolutely right.

I can see where you're coming from but I disagree about the reasons those players wanted to leave ... Mascherano, Suarez and (soon to be) Coutinho are all South American players and there is a huge history and prestige for players from there playing for Barcelona in particular. I don't think there's much we can do to shift that and it shouldn't reflect badly on us because it has nothing to do with us ... it's because its Barcelona and there is that bond between South America and Barca.

Torres and Sterling - yes, they both went because they felt they would be more successful at another English club. However, looking back, we didn't really miss either of them too much. Sterling's big-mouth agent did say that it was due to Rodgers and that he would have stayed to play under Klopp ... I'm not sure of that myself though.

Alonso went primarily because of how Rafa treated him the season before he went ... he was offered out willy-nilly to other clubs and he knew it. Like with Mascherano and Suarez, it didn't have too much to do with Liverpool and more to do with the manager at the time.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #23681: Dec 28, 2017 11:28:15 pm
      I can see where you're coming from but I disagree about the reasons those players wanted to leave ... Mascherano, Suarez and (soon to be) Coutinho are all South American players and there is a huge history and prestige for players from there playing for Barcelona in particular. I don't think there's much we can do to shift that and it shouldn't reflect badly on us because it has nothing to do with us ... it's because its Barcelona and there is that bond between South America and Barca.

Torres and Sterling - yes, they both went because they felt they would be more successful at another English club. However, looking back, we didn't really miss either of them too much. Sterling's big-mouth agent did say that it was due to Rodgers and that he would have stayed to play under Klopp ... I'm not sure of that myself though.

Alonso went primarily because of how Rafa treated him the season before he went ... he was offered out willy-nilly to other clubs and he knew it. Like with Mascherano and Suarez, it didn't have too much to do with Liverpool and more to do with the manager at the time.

I think you're vastly overestimating the "South American factor" here.
      Barcelona before, say, 2004, would not have attracted Masch, Suarez and Coutinho. It's not simply a matter of cultural ties, those players have either gone (or want to go) to the club that has won 4 Champions Leagues in the past decade or so, frequently playing the best football in Europe.
      Yeah it's true that Brazilians tend to favour the big clubs in Spain for cultural reasons, but why hasn't Sergio Aguero gone that route? Or his teammate Silva who's Spanish and supposedly, by that logic, would have dreamed of playing for one of his country's biggest sides?

Because they've been challenging for titles the whole team they've been at their club, and been really well paid as well.

When you don't have those two things, any reason to leave suddenly becomes a very good one. My wife wants to live in Barcelona. The manager doesn't have faith in me. The English media is mean to me. You name it.

Some transfers are nearly impossible to block (one perfect example being United being forced to let Ronaldo go to Madrid), but when you have that many, you can't blame it on coincidences.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #23682: Dec 29, 2017 12:08:43 am
      Bla bla bla. For someone who speaks of the wisdom of age, you act like a child. Kinda disproving your point.

Well at least I answer questions and debate rather than deflect and throw out cheap meaningless insults.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #23683: Dec 29, 2017 12:12:56 am
      I already told you what they have to do to convince me.

Care to remind me and others please, what is the minimum spend which would make you happy?
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #23684: Dec 29, 2017 12:16:53 am
      I think you're vastly overestimating the "South American factor" here.
      Barcelona before, say, 2004, would not have attracted Masch, Suarez and Coutinho. It's not simply a matter of cultural ties, those players have either gone (or want to go) to the club that has won 4 Champions Leagues in the past decade or so, frequently playing the best football in Europe.
      Yeah it's true that Brazilians tend to favour the big clubs in Spain for cultural reasons, but why hasn't Sergio Aguero gone that route? Or his teammate Silva who's Spanish and supposedly, by that logic, would have dreamed of playing for one of his country's biggest sides?

Because they've been challenging for titles the whole team they've been at their club, and been really well paid as well.

When you don't have those two things, any reason to leave suddenly becomes a very good one. My wife wants to live in Barcelona. The manager doesn't have faith in me. The English media is mean to me. You name it.

Some transfers are nearly impossible to block (one perfect example being United being forced to let Ronaldo go to Madrid), but when you have that many, you can't blame it on coincidences.

Oh I don't doubt that there is more than just a cultural lure for South American players wanting to go to Spain and Barcelona in particular. The taxes in Spain are much lower than in the UK so a player earning £100K in Spain keeps a much higher proportion than a player earning £100K in England, and Spanish clubs have been very successful in Europe over the past ten years or so. But I do think it is definitely a factor.

However, in terms of what we can do about it, I don't see any quick fixes. The owners have put in place a number of measures that will mean we are getting better, more sustainable, sources of revenue over time. The statistics show that we are now closing that financial gap.

You could argue that the reason we're having to play catch up with the likes of Man Utd and Real Madrid is because we sat on our hands and got complacent in the 1990s. When the likes of Man Utd were developing these revenue streams, we were sitting around in the belief that the bootroom ethos alone would return us to the top of English football. For virtually the whole of the 1990s our club was run so amateurishly that whoever came along afterwards would have a mountain to climb to get us back to the financial parity that we need in order to have a realistic chance of us keeping our top players.
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017 12:21:06 am by ed603em »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23685: Dec 29, 2017 12:49:36 am
      It's funny all this talk about how FSG have "backed" different managers, and no one addresses the elephant in the room, which is that they wanted Klopp from the off.

They got their man, and they are backing his judgement.
      He gets it right; unlike previous managers who wanted the likes of Adam, Carroll, The Welsh Xabi (although I think Allen is a decent player).

That's all it comes down to.
      And the fact we have a sh*t ton of money to spend.
      When we didn't spend it before, Mike Gordon put it into one of his offshore banking arrangements; "diverse growth portfolio".
      Now he has a guy he trusts, so he goes the extra mile.

It's not F***ing rocket science.

What we need is the release of those extra funds, come summer.
      I'm not counting Keita in that, although maybe I should, given the price.

I've said it many times, that patience is the key.

Klopp will get us there.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #23686: Dec 29, 2017 01:22:31 am
      Oh I don't doubt that there is more than just a cultural lure for South American players wanting to go to Spain and Barcelona in particular. The taxes in Spain are much lower than in the UK so a player earning £100K in Spain keeps a much higher proportion than a player earning £100K in England, and Spanish clubs have been very successful in Europe over the past ten years or so. But I do think it is definitely a factor.

However, in terms of what we can do about it, I don't see any quick fixes. The owners have put in place a number of measures that will mean we are getting better, more sustainable, sources of revenue over time. The statistics show that we are now closing that financial gap.

You could argue that the reason we're having to play catch up with the likes of Man Utd and Real Madrid is because we sat on our hands and got complacent in the 1990s. When the likes of Man Utd were developing these revenue streams, we were sitting around in the belief that the bootroom ethos alone would return us to the top of English football. For virtually the whole of the 1990s our club was run so amateurishly that whoever came along afterwards would have a mountain to climb to get us back to the financial parity that we need in order to have a realistic chance of us keeping our top players.

Have to say I agree with this, but I do agree with Diego on some points as well. It's a mixture of both. If Barca were sh*t, it would be another spanish club (whether it be Real, Atletico, Valencia or whoever) that, if they had the financial clout + success, then they'd be the one picking them all up. If Spain was an absolute dog sh*t league then it would just be another league, or teams in the PL (Torres to Chelsea for example). There's no defining science to any of this, it's just trends and history we can draw on.

Which leads me to your last paragraph which is something I very much believe in. It is so so SO difficult to take that last step back to the top after letting the others get a jump on ya. We let United first, then Arsenal, then Chelsea get a jump before we really started hitting it hard on the global front. To think Liverpool had never even turned up in Australia, one of their largest fanbases, until 2013, is nuts. Now it's pretty much every 2 years since then they make an appearance, as well as working in the other Asia-Pacific markets. US as well. The time spent "sitting on hands" as you said in the 90's is still being felt now. While we are almost there, that last step to being a consistent trophy winner is so hard - because you are trying to knock off teams that are established in that culture of winning. We don't have a culture of winning regularly, that disappeared in the 90's. Say what you want about history, no one here now has much of that in their DNA. We're the chaser, trying to knock off the big dogs. It's a lot easier said than done, and certainly isn't solved with irrational spending.

I would love to be consistently spending the money that City and co are, if it was financially viable. But it's not. FSG have always been in this with a view at sustainable growth, which I think if you take a good look at the club all the evidence is there. We have both extended our stadium and broken our transfer records, 2-3, maybe 4 times over the last couple years? Like seriously, until Mane wasn't Carroll still our record signing? Now Salah, Keita and soon VvD will be. All while massive redevelopment of Anfield has occurred, AND while a massive inflation in transfer prices that is, quite f**king frankly, ridiculous, is happening at the same time. To still be competitive with a solid business model (that again I stress, they've always been transparent about how they would run things) and showing growth in this age of massive prices that constantly seem to be skyrocketing, is a promising sign to me.

Do I believe they've made mistakes in judgement? Absolutely. But they've been learning as they're going and I think they're showing far more maturity in ownership the last few years. I see so much "well what did they do the first years!? NOTHING THE CHEAP SKATES" - well, they backed Kenny - against their better judgement they went with what the fans wanted, that didn't really work. All the while they were getting their feet wet and working out what they had to do to pick us up from the ground, because we were a f**king shambles both on the field and off it.

7 years in we have consistent growth, a bigger stadium, a squad that is ever improving in depth, lucrative sponsorships that if growth continues at pace will only get better, and the manager they AND we want.

I certainly wish they'd handle some transfers better, and not be so stubborn at times. But I also respect they stick to their guns and have never strayed from who they are, which we all (mostly) welcomed with open arms in October 2010.

Just my two cents. Again ;D
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017 06:07:43 am by bigvYNWA »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #23687: Dec 29, 2017 09:00:50 am
      It's funny all this talk about how FSG have "backed" different managers, and no one addresses the elephant in the room, which is that they wanted Klopp from the off.

They got their man, and they are backing his judgement.
      He gets it right; unlike previous managers who wanted the likes of Adam, Carroll, The Welsh Xabi (although I think Allen is a decent player).

That's all it comes down to.
      And the fact we have a sh*t ton of money to spend.
      When we didn't spend it before, Mike Gordon put it into one of his offshore banking arrangements; "diverse growth portfolio".
      Now he has a guy he trusts, so he goes the extra mile.

It's not f**king rocket science.

What we need is the release of those extra funds, come summer.
      I'm not counting Keita in that, although maybe I should, given the price.

I've said it many times, that patience is the key.

Klopp will get us there.

Very sensible post Swab.

If they do release regular funds to add the players he wants then we do have a chance indeed.

Look at City, adding quality each year, Chelsea also and the Mancs as well and that is how we have to do it.

We have to match our top players ambition each window even if its 1 or 2 big signings.

The willingness to spend what is needed on VVD is a good sign but it has to continue without the sale of other top players.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #23688: Dec 29, 2017 09:58:26 am

I agree to an extent.
      And that's where I think they've done the best contribution to the club so far.
      We're closing the gap but in this day and age we need to be consistently a Champions League club if we want to really close it.
      And in that we've been unsuccessful to say the least, despite spending, for a lack of consistency through the years.
      It's a matter of learning with mistakes. And now we sure have our best shot at qualifying for the UCL for two consecutive years in god knows how long, which is the main reason for my cautious optimism.
      My caution coming from the fact we're yet to break a cycle that sees us rebuilding and being asked for patience every 3 years. Hopefully Klopp will be the one that ends it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #23689: Dec 29, 2017 03:34:34 pm
      What I wanted to mention was that this year they dedicated a stand to King Kenny.

No naming rights ... No extra dollars...  they're not the Glazers .

Well done y'all.
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017 04:10:51 pm by MIRO »

Quick Reply