Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2641341 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #24725: Aug 02, 2018 08:09:38 pm
      Klopp had multiple transfer windows to buy a striker. Brendan bought who he bought, wasn’t aware that FSG selected transfer targets or do you claim to know more than the rest of us?

I don't claim anything just stating fact.
      If outstanding players are not available for sale the manager is challenged on finding transfer money.
      Even when star players are sold as in the case of Suarez multiple signings were made instead of replacing genius.
      « Last Edit: Aug 02, 2018 08:16:01 pm by stuey »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #24726: Aug 02, 2018 11:33:06 pm
      The point I was trying to make was that those men invested in the club because of their love for the club not financial gain.

Are you 100% certain of that, ie that they never made any money from their shareholdings in Liverpool either directly or indirectly?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24727: Aug 03, 2018 01:26:13 am
      Are you 100% certain of that, ie that they never made any money from their shareholdings in Liverpool either directly or indirectly?

If they did make any money they earned and deserved every penny for dragging this club from the old second division to the most respected club in Europe.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #24728: Aug 03, 2018 03:41:34 am
      I don't claim anything just stating fact.
      If outstanding players are not available for sale the manager is challenged on finding transfer money.

So you think we should have kept Suarez and the owners should have spent their own money (which would have been against FFP) and told Brendan to buy us another big name player?

Never mind Suarez itched for a move and never mind Brendan couldn’t attract big names. Ok.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24729: Aug 03, 2018 05:28:55 am
      So you think we should have kept Suarez and the owners should have spent their own money (which would have been against FFP) and told Brendan to buy us another big name player?

Never mind Suarez itched for a move and never mind Brendan couldn’t attract big names. Ok.

How many big names did Brendan try and sign (bar Sanchez) that turned him down? I don't recall us even bidding fit a big name player under Brendan!
      He clearly didn't have the same pull as Jürgen, but following the 13/14 season we had attracted the attention of  Europe for our attacking football, it was then that I feel we could've attracted big name players, but the money was clearly an issue back then.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24730: Aug 03, 2018 09:03:52 am

There you go again putting your own interpretation on comment that alludes to nothing of the kind.
      Following the sale of Suarez as commented, instead of the transfer money being used to pay for like for like skill a number of players were acquired in an attempt to address serious shortcomings in the team.
      An obvious error which did come back and kicked arse.

FSG appointed Brendan some would say as a yes man and the wisdom or not of that decision was displayed when he was unceremoniously sacked by the owners.

Thankfully with the appointment of Klopp suçh disasters are hopefully a thiñg of the past.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24731: Aug 03, 2018 11:53:50 am
      If they did make any money they earned and deserved every penny for dragging this club from the old second division to the most respected club in Europe.

So if we win titles under FSG will they deserve the same?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24732: Aug 03, 2018 12:55:28 pm

The only way we will win regular titles is by continued strengthening of the squad on a regular basis, so in that case FSG would deserve credit. Will they do that? I'm hopeful.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24733: Aug 03, 2018 01:43:00 pm
      The only way we will win regular titles is by continued strengthening of the squad on a regular basis, so in that case FSG would deserve credit. Will they do that? I'm hopeful.

I thought they'd been doing that for 8 years.

They gave previous managers plenty of backing, and they (managers) pretty much wasted the money.

KK rebuild after Hodgson.

BR rebuild after KK.

Klopp rebuild (of sorts) after BR.

A lot was squandered when you look back.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24734: Aug 03, 2018 03:24:28 pm

They gave previous managers plenty of backing, and they (managers) pretty much wasted the money.

BR rebuild after KK.

Wasn't just the managers that wasted money, the TC brought in some players that should never have walked through the Anfield gates.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24735: Aug 03, 2018 03:31:48 pm

BR rebuild after KK.

I think the biggest failure has been to not have a clear direction/philosophy at the club in a football sense.
      Maybe that's part of chopping managers over that time period,
      but it does feel now, with Klopp, that there is a more coherent process (or understanding) of the type of player needed.
      Hopefully that continues to improve but there is no doubt that Klopp's ability to deliver CL has been responsible for the cash injection.

TBH it all depends on how the season plays out but I've a good feeling about this season and the owners have backed Klopp.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24736: Aug 03, 2018 03:50:03 pm
      I think the biggest failure has been to not have a clear direction/philosophy at the club in a football sense.
      but it does feel now, with Klopp, that there is a more coherent process (or understanding) of the type of player needed.
      Hopefully that continues to improve but there is no doubt that Klopp's ability to deliver CL has been responsible for the cash injection.

TBH it all depends on how the season plays out but I've a good feeling about this season and the owners have backed Klopp.

The way I see it, so long as we keep doing well in the CL there'll be money available for transfers. A few seasons out of the CL would be a disaster.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24737: Aug 03, 2018 04:09:42 pm
      A few seasons out of the CL would be a disaster.

Club is only back in it.
      Job will be to keep it as a regular occurrence and add some silverware.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24738: Aug 03, 2018 04:13:27 pm
      Club is only back in it.
      Job will be to keep it as a regular occurrence and add some silverware.

Sometimes losing a final can be the catalyst you need to fire you on to glory. I'd be surprised if we aren't in among the trophies this season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24739: Aug 03, 2018 04:29:37 pm
      Sometimes losing a final can be the catalyst you need to fire you on to glory. I'd be surprised if we aren't in among the trophies this season.

The money boost from getting there has no doubt sharpened the focus.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24740: Aug 03, 2018 06:10:31 pm

Agreed, but as well as Klopp. I think that's why Mike Edwards was brought in, and then promoted.

I think they tried to do it with Comolli, but for whatever reason, he wasn't the right man.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24741: Aug 03, 2018 11:48:11 pm

If they are as successful as the directors I have named they will deserve the same.The yardstick to go by is the 1960's/70's and 80's.Above all else I desperately want to see L.F.C. win number 19,I have waited too long.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #24742: Aug 04, 2018 10:37:14 am
      If they are as successful as the directors I have named they will deserve the same.The yardstick to go by is the 1960's/70's and 80's.Above all else I desperately want to see L.F.C. win number 19,I have waited too long.

Well Billy 1 trophy in 8 years despite 5 finals in the FSG era would suggest the Directors and team management from that golden era knew how to get a team to peak at the business end of the season maybe with a few more players of quality in the squad those 4 final defeats may have been victories and a league title too.

We are were we are as the saying goes and this season we do have far more depth to the squad and who knows your long wait for a EPL Title may be finally coming to an end.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #24743: Aug 04, 2018 11:25:55 am
      The money boost from getting there has no doubt sharpened the focus.

This is the crux of the matter truth be told.
      Those with the wherewithal to prepare the side for the challenge should be fully aware of the demands and rewards entailed, even now with additions, additions with great potential, the ability to challenge domestically and on a CL front next season is a big ask of the squad as it stands.

Still it seems people with the power are not preparing the club to face challenges that could bring massive rewards both financially and in terms of status.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #24744: Aug 06, 2018 07:45:53 pm
      The owners really done well this window. We are stronger now than I can ever remember and have not got into a mess with FFP either. We missed out on Jorginho, but Fabinho is looking good. Fekir looked to be a bullet dodged, hardly kicked a ball in the world cup. Possible sick note. Great goalkeeper added with Alisson, Keita in... with VVD and Salah, Mane and Firmino already integrated, this team really is starting to have a spine. It is a farcry from the days where we just had Torres and Gerrard! Shaqiri was a bargain because he has looked good and can be a forward or midfielder... some real flexibility with class. Our fringe players, Sturridge, Solanke etc... are probably as good as we will get that will accept being subs too. We are close to a trophy. This could be the year we get some silverware. Probably FA cup or something is within reach.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #24745: Aug 06, 2018 08:24:51 pm
      The owners really done well this window. We are stronger now than I can ever remember and have not got into a mess with FFP either. We missed out on Jorginho, but Fabinho is looking good. Fekir looked to be a bullet dodged, hardly kicked a ball in the world cup. Possible sick note. Great goalkeeper added with Alisson, Keita in... with VVD and Salah, Mane and Firmino already integrated, this team really is starting to have a spine. It is a farcry from the days where we just had Torres and Gerrard! Shaqiri was a bargain because he has looked good and can be a forward or midfielder... some real flexibility with class. Our fringe players, Sturridge, Solanke etc... are probably as good as we will get that will accept being subs too. We are close to a trophy. This could be the year we get some silverware. Probably FA cup or something is within reach.

Only the FA cup..? Standards have dropped Rib, what's happened?.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #24746: Aug 06, 2018 09:52:19 pm

BR rebuild after KK.

You can't pretend it was the same then as it is now mate. We're in for a different type of player now. Keita, VVD and Alisson were coveted players for whom we have had to pay big fees and to see off competitors for their signature. Now the fact we were able to get them may be in part down to the manager and the kudos he brings to the club but also, there has (without a shadow of a doubt) been a shift in policy with regards to the types of player (and the fees the club are willing to pay) we're going for now. We weren't in for that type of player a few years ago. Yes a lot of money was squandered but how much of that can be attributed to a very speculative transfer policy where we often bugged out of the bidding for a player the moment another bidder joined the party. Just look at the way Chelse gazumped us for Salah first time around and then again for Willian. Hell we even missed out on the mighty Clint Dempsey because the owners wouldn't sanction the outlay. Thankfully the penny seems to have dropped at last.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2018 09:57:49 pm by Scottbot »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24747: Aug 06, 2018 10:12:07 pm
      You can't pretend it was the same then as it is now mate. We're in for a different type of player now. Keita, VVD and Alisson were coveted players for whom we have had to pay big fees and to see off competitors for their signature. Now the fact we were able to get them may be in part down to the manager and the kudos he brings to the club but also, there has (without a shadow of a doubt) been a shift in policy with regards to the types of player (and the fees the club are willing to pay) we're going for now. We weren't in for that type of player a few years ago. Yes a lot of money was squandered but how much of that can be attributed to a very speculative transfer policy where we often bugged out of the bidding for a player the moment another bidder joined the party. Just look at the way Chelse gazumped us for Salah first time around and then again for Willian. Hell we even missed out on the mighty Clint Dempsey because the owners wouldn't sanction the outlay. Thankfully the penny seems to have dropped at last.

Of course it's not the same mate, we had to rebuild, and that took time, probably longer than the owners envisaged it would.

But let's go back and make a couple of comparisons.
      KK wanted Carroll, Adam and Downing, Comolli wanted Suarez and Henderson and Couts, and we ended up getting all of them, 3 of whom were a waste of money.

Another great example would be BR wanting Benteke, when the TC wanted Firmino, and we know how that turned out.

I don't think there's been a change of policy as such, more a change in how the manager works, and doesn't see transfers as his "fief" so to speak.
      Remember Klopp wasn't convinced about Salah, but he spoke with the TC, worked with them, and agreed to get him in.
      That. for me, is the key difference now.
      Instead of the manager and TC pulling in different directions, they are all pulling in the same direction - it makes a big difference.

Ok, we can also talk about Mike Gordon streamlining various processes, and Edwards being promoted, but it's all the result of a unified team working together to get the best we can.
      Obviously, Klopp's name and CL football help as well, but the collegiate way of working (rather than BR's alleged confrontational style) is a huge factor.

Quick Reply