Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2829979 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #30153: Jan 11, 2022 05:04:28 pm
      And didn't realise it was JĆ¼rgen that wanted Trent in the team!!

Just as itā€™s Klopp that wants  - Jones , Elliot etc in the team
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30154: Jan 11, 2022 05:04:30 pm
      Given enough playing time they can be. But that then shoots down your argument about investment!!

Would take a lot of them to come through at the very same time to be able to depend solely on young players coming through to challenge on all fronts. And the young lads would have to be top quality.
      The closest I can think to this happening any time recently is the time Hansen said you can't win it with kids, about Fergies team with Giggs, Keane, Beckam, Nevilles, Butt, Scholes etc.  But even then they had some big signings sprinkled in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #30155: Jan 11, 2022 05:07:26 pm
      Would take a lot of them to come through at the very same time to be able to depend solely on young players coming through to challenge on all fronts. And the young lads would have to be top quality.
      The closest I can think to this happening any time recently is the time Hansen said you can't win it with kids, about Fergies team with Giggs, Keane, Beckam, Nevilles, Butt, Scholes etc.  But even then they had some big signings sprinkled in.

It wasn't big signings, it was more like older senior players still there.

When they were battered by Villa opening day, they still had the likes of Mcclair still playing. It was about supporting the young players with experience, what JĆ¼rgen is trying to do with us now.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30156: Jan 11, 2022 05:09:37 pm
      its utter bolox to suggest people dont like Academy players coming through.

Its strange, some people seem to be trying to use that as a stick to beat people who questioning FSGs investment.

It's possible to bring young players through, and invest in the squad and experienced players.  It's not one or the other, no matter what the FSG gang try to paint it.

ALL the other big teams are doing it too. What team challenging for the PL, the CL, or the title in their country, depends solely on young players?!?!

Odd argument against investment imho.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #30157: Jan 11, 2022 05:09:58 pm
      No so sure man.

Ive seen the comments on noseybook and twitters, folk not happy with youth guys coming thru rather than the club spending fortunes on fringe players.

Its there for sure.

Gini not being replaced even though we had a young player coming through to take his place is a very recent example.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #30158: Jan 11, 2022 05:13:43 pm
      Its strange, some people seem to be trying to use that as a stick to beat people who questioning FSGs investment.

It's possible to bring young players through, and invest in the squad and experienced players.  It's not one or the other, no matter what the FSG gang try to paint it.

ALL the other big teams are doing it too. What team challenging for the PL, the CL, or the title in their country, depends solely on young players?!?!

Odd argument against investment imho.

Or you could be realistic and know they way they operate, so it all becomes a bit pointless always moaning about investment
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30159: Jan 11, 2022 05:17:49 pm
      Or you could be realistic and know they way they operate, so it all becomes a bit pointless always moaning about investment

I'm not sure how looking at recent investment, and wanting more based on what we see them do, is pointless or moaning.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30160: Jan 11, 2022 05:18:56 pm
      I don't do that stuff I am referring to this forum who seem to be supportive of young players. Some people just like to elevate their status whilst never actually using facts to support this.
      The reality is Mo Salah was 26 years old before he got to a level where he was good enough for a top club in the EPL as a young player he struggled . You dont get two Michael Owens or Steven Gerrards so you have to buy the player when he matures.
      Curtis Jones is exceptional and he is being rightly developed into the player who will be at the top of his game for ten years.
      its another FSG are wonderful story and dont knock them if they dont  INVEST in their team.

Ive came of noseybook more and more now. Brainrott. ;D

Its defo a mix, and can never guarantee youth guys are gonna make it, especially at top level.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30161: Jan 11, 2022 05:21:33 pm
      Its there for sure.

Gini not being replaced even though we had a young player coming through to take his place is a very recent example.

Indeed.

We have a few coming through. Its brilliant tbh. I much prefer an academy lad pushing on than just buying a journeyman to fill up a space in the squad.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30162: Jan 11, 2022 05:21:42 pm
      It wasn't big signings, it was more like older senior players still there.

When they were battered by Villa opening day, they still had the likes of Mcclair still playing. It was about supporting the young players with experience, what JĆ¼rgen is trying to do with us now.

That squad was an exception rather than the rule.  Almost never get that many young players of that quality come through at the same time. That's not where we are now with our young players. So what would you have us do, not have the number of young players coming through to challenge AND not sign players?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30163: Jan 11, 2022 05:22:46 pm
      Indeed.

We have a few coming through. Its brilliant tbh. I much prefer an academy lad pushing on than just buying a journeyman to fill up a space in the squad.

Of course we have young players coming through.

And it's great.

But what does that have to do with what people see as under investment in the squad and FSG doing very little in transfers in recent windows?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30164: Jan 11, 2022 05:25:48 pm

Thought Gini was replaced by Thiago a year early.
      Maybe that argument has now been replaced by this whole "people who think FSG aren't investing enough in the playing squad don't like seeing young players come through" smoke screen.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #30165: Jan 11, 2022 05:28:00 pm
      So what would you have us do, not have the number of young players coming through to challenge AND not sign players?

I'm not JĆ¼rgen, so F**k all to do with me and not something I'm getting wound up by.

Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #30166: Jan 11, 2022 05:59:24 pm
      Maybe that argument has now been replaced by this whole "people who think FSG aren't investing enough in the playing squad don't like seeing young players come through" smoke screen.

People not happy with FSG want to stifle youth players development and Gini was replaced by two players not one didn't you know? Not only did they replace Gini but they doubled up on him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #30167: Jan 11, 2022 06:15:05 pm

Yes for me Thiago was brought in as a senior midfielder the year before as we knew Gini might be off.

Elliott then took his actual place in the squad as in numbers wise this summer.

Not that hard to work out really.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2022 06:24:10 pm by srslfc »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #30168: Jan 11, 2022 06:17:22 pm
      Yes for me Thiago was brought in as a senior midfielder the year before as we knew Gini might be off.

Elliott then took his actual place in the squad as in miners wise this summer.

Thatā€™s also what both Klopp and Pep have implied especially when it comes to Elliot - not sure why there is such an issue about it
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30169: Jan 11, 2022 06:55:35 pm

Elliott then took his actual place in the squad as in numbers wise this summer.

Obviously Gini might have been off, but he might not have been. They played over 20 games together that season. I guess I just don't buy the replacement a year early line.
      And maintaining the numbers might be a bit simplistic, doesn't account for quality, experience, type of player etc etc

I guess it's not hard to work out ... when that is what you think. We just look at things differently.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #30170: Jan 11, 2022 07:10:54 pm
      Obviously Gini might have been off, but he might not have been. They played over 20 games together that season. I guess I just don't buy the replacement a year early line.
      And maintaining the numbers might be a bit simplistic, doesn't account for quality, experience, type of player etc etc

I guess it's not hard to work out ... when that is what you think. We just look at things differently.

So you wanted the club to buy someone to replace Gini as opposed to using Elliot ?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #30171: Jan 11, 2022 07:38:37 pm
      Elliot you
      So you wanted the club to buy someone to replace Gini as opposed to using Elliot ?

Gini left so weā€™re 1 down, Elliot gets a bad injury so will be out best part of the season so no replacement shock horror. With Ox finished, Curtis, Ketia Thiargo all suffering continuous injuries why no replacement. Exactly like last season in Jan no defenders till last day of season and who did we buy Daviā€™s and Kabac. Run by minges
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #30172: Jan 11, 2022 07:41:06 pm
      Elliot you
      Gini left so weā€™re 1 down, Elliot gets a bad injury so will be out best part of the season so no replacement shock horror. With Ox finished, Curtis, Ketia Thiargo all suffering continuous injuries why no replacement. Exactly like last season in Jan no defenders till last day of season and who did we buy Daviā€™s and Kabac. Run by minges

As Klopp and Pep have both said - if they bought someone in then thatā€™s someone in front of him.

Didnā€™t realise Ox was finished 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø , Naby has been fit most of the season , Jones had a freak accident

We started the season with 8/9 options for 3 places
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30173: Jan 11, 2022 08:25:46 pm

It's not an either or. Elliot is like Jones, a young player with lots of promise. Gini was a different type of CM, a player with masses of experience that Klopp trusted. I'd have liked FSG to bring in a midfielder similar to Gini, yes. Not just for this season, but as an investment in the future with Hendo/Milly aging, AOC not good enough, Keita not played much by JĆ¼rgen even when fit which is not often etc etc.  If you are saying that, if we signed a midfielder, that means Elliot wouldn't have played, don't think that's true, he'd have had plenty of opportunity with injuries, with dips in form of players etc, plenty of games where we could have done with someone coming on in the middle, or starting in the middle, when players looked a bit jaded etc.  Improving the squad, and depth, increasing competition for places, giving JĆ¼rgen options he trusts, yes, I'd have given him the option to do sign someone in a heartbeat.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,816 posts | 1407 
      Reply #30174: Jan 11, 2022 08:31:26 pm
      It's not an either or. Elliot is like Jones, a young player with lots of promise. Gini was a different type of CM, a player with masses of experience that Klopp trusted. I'd have liked FSG to bring in a midfielder similar to Gini, yes. Not just for this season, but as an investment in the future with Hendo/Milly aging, AOC not good enough, Keita not played much by JĆ¼rgen even when fit which is not often etc etc.  If you are saying that, if we signed a midfielder, that means Elliot wouldn't have played, don't think that's true, he'd have had plenty of opportunity with injuries, with dips in form of players etc, plenty of games where we could have done with someone coming on in the middle, or starting in the middle, when players looked a bit jaded etc.  Improving the squad, and depth, increasing competition for places, giving JĆ¼rgen options he trusts, yes, I'd have given him the option to do sign someone in a heartbeat.

Re-signing a 30yo is not an investment in the future. Giving a player like Elliott a crack at the team is.

When Gini decided to leave, maybe it was seen as an opportunity to evolve the team a bit, and with the arrival of Elliott, use that position for creativity and offensive output instead of the hard-nose work that Gini provided.

Unfortunately these kinds of discussions cannot be had because it always defaults back to anti-FSG noise.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #30175: Jan 11, 2022 08:34:14 pm

But thatā€™s exactly how Klopp sees it - instead of bringing someone in , use the very talented youngster the club has

Bringing someone in would have reduced the level of games Elliot would have been playing

There is no doubt imo that they looked at the options and went with Elliot with looking to replace the likes of Milner this summer

Quick Reply