Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2777550 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4939 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #35052: Feb 08, 2024 11:57:39 am
      A lot of weird, bad faith, narrative being forced in here lately.

The main points for FSG right now is what do they do post Klopp.

That should be in motion now and the answer is act quickly to do the following:

- Get Alonso in as manager.

- If Alonso wants Florian Wirtz and Piero Hincapié then you get those transfers done.

Everything else follows from there.

Adrián, Thiago and Matip leave at the end of their contracts.

Virgil, Trent and Salah are then the ones you have to urgently address.

Can't really disagree with any of this.

And for Alonso you can insert another name if that's who the club have identified for the next manager. But sentiment is the same needs to be happening now.

Ideally DoF is hired first but I agree with your point about that should have been looked at already even with Klopp here so cannot hinder the process of hiring the next manager either.

If a DoF hasn't been identified yet then it needs to be parked for now if needs be as the man to replace Jürgen needs to be in place as soon as this season ends.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3855 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35053: Feb 08, 2024 12:11:57 pm
      Can't really disagree with any of this.

And for Alonso you can insert another name if that's who the club have identified for the next manager. But sentiment is the same needs to be happening now.

Ideally DoF is hired first but I agree with your point about that should have been looked at already even with Klopp here so cannot hinder the process of hiring the next manager either.

If a DoF hasn't been identified yet then it needs to be parked for now if needs be as the man to replace Jürgen needs to be in place as soon as this season ends.

Yeah DoF is something people have been saying should have been sorted when Edwards left so that's a very clear issue that the club also needs to deal with.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4939 
      Reply #35054: Feb 08, 2024 12:14:05 pm
      Yeah DoF is something people have been saying should have been sorted when Edwards left so that's a very clear issue that the club also needs to deal with.

Probably been the only failing from FSG in recent years as far as planning and structure goes.

Think some of our signings that don't seem to quite fit stems from a slight lack of the clear planning we had under Edward's and potential would have had under his permanent replacement.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #35055: Feb 08, 2024 01:59:59 pm
      That's more of a structural decision.

Strikes me as a whataboutery response as it doesn't really address any of the points I've made
      but goes off on a tangent.

Of course the club needs a DoF, but the biggest concern right now is getting the right person in post Klopp.

Getting a DoF in is something that should also be happening in the backgroud.

I'm talking about what the club needs to do in a footballing context immediately to deal with life after Klopp.
      Needing a DoF is something that has been needed even with Klopp still in charge.

Sorry what I was meaning to say is that we need to get the DOF in asap - along with everything else you suggest- he is as key to getting Xabi in
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #35056: Feb 08, 2024 03:50:05 pm
      Not sure a DoF is required to convince any potential manager to jump into the LFC hot seat..

Xabi if he is to be the one won’t need convincing by any DoF, more so £££’s for transfers as we are going to need a few players in the summer.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #35057: Feb 08, 2024 04:37:36 pm
      Not sure a DoF is required to convince any potential manager to jump into the LFC hot seat..

Xabi if he is to be the one won’t need convincing by any DoF, more so £££’s for transfers as we are going to need a few players in the summer.

A DoF isn’t needed to persuade a manager

A DoF is needed to sort out the recruitment of players arriving , new contracts etc - Edwards showed how key that role is and it’s as crucial as getting the right manager

If you want to see whah happens with a poor DoF then look at Utd

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #35058: Feb 08, 2024 04:45:57 pm
      If you want to see whah happens with a poor DoF then look at Utd

Me thinks Utd got it right. They should stick with this model forever and ever. But we should formulate our own model.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,375 posts | 783 
      Reply #35059: Feb 09, 2024 06:20:24 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/feb/09/fsg-liverpool-Jürgen-klopp-red-sox-sale-penguins

Some interesting thoughts about post Klopp LFC/FSG relationship.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #35060: Feb 09, 2024 06:26:12 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/feb/09/fsg-liverpool-Jürgen-klopp-red-sox-sale-penguins

Link not working 🤷‍♂️
      CT_LFC

• 6,812 posts | 1406 
      Reply #35061: Feb 09, 2024 06:33:48 pm

I had to google it because link doesn’t work, but it basically mentions the importance of getting the next manager right, as we all know and agree.

That it brings up the other teams owned by FSG is irrelevant, since they operate in different sports (or industries), in different countries, under different rules and all are self-sustaining and independent of each other, and monies aren’t taken out of one to fund the other.

I do wonder how long they will hang around. Henry is in his mid 70s so we’re not talking about someone with a lot of miles left.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts | 183 
      Reply #35062: Feb 28, 2024 11:47:42 am
      EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool owners want to give one last try to bring Michael Edwards back!

FSG want Edwards to take over football and put new structure in place — including new sporting director.

It’s important to clarify that Edwards has currently shown NO sign of saying yes — but FSG will try again.

Liverpool owners want new structure to be decided as soon as possible, it won’t take long to see new faces.

Final attempt for Michael Edwards ready with an answer expected soon… or FSG will move on already in March.

This is crucial as Liverpool want a new structure in place before appointing new manager for next season.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #35063: Feb 28, 2024 01:29:02 pm
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">(🟢) BREAKING:<br><br>Michael Edwards wants FULL control over Liverpool&#39;s football operations to consider a return. FSG are ready to put Michael Edwards in charge of the club in attempt to lure him back. [<a href="https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@_pauljoyce</a>] <a href="https://t.co/UTXHP8dbtR">pic.twitter.com/UTXHP8dbtR</a></p>&mdash; The Anfield Talk (@TheAnfieldTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldTalk/status/1762831549534196143?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 28, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #35064: Feb 28, 2024 02:48:23 pm
      The word is he left because FSG gave more power to Klopp.

If Edwards comes and hires Xabi I'm good with it. I still believe that Edwards alone isn't a messiah. Klopp certainly didn't hurt Edwards' track record.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,697 posts | 3936 
      Reply #35065: Feb 28, 2024 03:02:52 pm
      I like it, get him back!
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #35066: Feb 28, 2024 04:39:11 pm

If Edwards comes and hires Xabi I'm good with it. I still believe that Edwards alone isn't a messiah. Klopp certainly didn't hurt Edwards' track record.

Don't think Edwards did too bad especially with the transfers out, was it £15m for Jordan Ibe plus other master strokes of selling average players at a premium.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts | 183 
      Reply #35067: Feb 28, 2024 04:52:53 pm

Revolved specifically around the decision to give Hendo a new deal wasn't it? Think it's Edwards 1 Klopp 0 there.

No 1 man is going to change the direction of a club, it's a team building exercise but getting the best in class in each role certainly helps and if FSG believe that man to be Edwards then they're going the right thing by persisting.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,231 posts | 1222 
      Reply #35068: Feb 28, 2024 05:01:19 pm
      I heard he'd joined a consultancy firm with the rocket science guy providing advice to sports clubs on a contractual basis. Assume he'd have to stand down from that or at least sign new terms. I'd be pleased to see him back if it works for the new manager.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #35069: Feb 29, 2024 10:14:08 am
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #35070: Feb 29, 2024 01:23:55 pm
      I would be very reluctant with giving Michael Edwards full control of the club just to get him back. time to move on
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #35071: Feb 29, 2024 02:29:05 pm
      Record commercial revenues, but drops everywhere else. We actually had a net loss I believe.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #35072: Feb 29, 2024 02:33:38 pm

The link works for me unlike the actual premise therein!
      It is inferred that any success achieved by the club is down to FSG when in reality pre-Klopp things were F***ing dismal!
      rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #35073: Feb 29, 2024 04:33:19 pm
      I would be very reluctant with giving Michael Edwards full control of the club just to get him back. time to move on

Smokescreen we will be basically after someone else as we speak
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,412 posts | 2835 
      Reply #35074: Mar 08, 2024 07:21:52 am
      Wasn’t sure whether to make a new thread or not.

https://x.com/_pauljoyce/status/1765867527526068466?s=46

Same article reports that it would be a role above sporting director and that if he accepts he’d be responsible for appointing the new manager and also the new sporting director (likes that Hughes fella from Bournemouth).

Quick Reply