Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Jamie Carragher
      (10.9%)
      Paul Konchesky
      (5%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (77.3%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (6.7%)

Everton 2:0 Liverpool - In game & post match disgust

Read 82787 times
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,852 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Re: Everton 2:0 Liverpool - In game & post match disgust
      Reply #1081: Oct 18, 2010 10:35:39 pm
      Totally unacceptable display yesterday ,I really wonder if the players think they justify being paid ? in a normal job anyone underperforming or skiving would either get a good bollocking or finished ,so what's the difference then? being a football player is a job but very highly paid ,sadly we do have underachievers and players who are not premiership quality and a manager to match
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #1082: Oct 18, 2010 10:49:53 pm
      Some of the sh*t I've had today. F***ing joke!

Still fuming.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1083: Oct 18, 2010 11:09:06 pm

Still fuming.

Not too bad in my place.

I just asked them how happy they are, and explained that although we lost, I am 10 times happier than they are because we have got rid of "those two fuckers", and that ended the conversation.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,299 posts | 4945 
      Reply #1084: Oct 18, 2010 11:09:56 pm

Still fuming.

I'm off for a week so have avoided the s**t from work.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1085: Oct 18, 2010 11:11:00 pm
      Disgraceful performance once again.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1086: Oct 18, 2010 11:15:22 pm
      I dont agree with this. Hodgson has to take most of the blame for this. Out of the 11 players and 3 subs that played and came on, 10 have played under Rafa and I think most of them played in the match last season. It's Roy fault that he can't motivate them for a derby, Rafa managed to motivate them same players twice last season.  It's Roy's fault that he's making the great players look average and it's Roy's fault that we are shambles and look 100x worse than last season.

Spot on with the rest though.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, should need being motivated for the Derby. It's the biggest game of the season bar none so the players should be fired up from the start.

And last year, I remember the Goodison Derby, Everton twatted us because they fought harder. Last year, they didn't score but we did (an own goal from a Mascherano shot going closer to the corner flag and a Dirk Kuyt tap in after Riera's shot was palmed out). We didn't exactly tactically outclass them last year either.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #1087: Oct 18, 2010 11:33:38 pm
      Nobody, and I mean nobody, should need being motivated for the Derby. It's the biggest game of the season bar none so the players should be fired up from the start.

And last year, I remember the Goodison Derby, Everton twatted us because they fought harder. Last year, they didn't score but we did (an own goal from a Mascherano shot going closer to the corner flag and a Dirk Kuyt tap in after Riera's shot was palmed out). We didn't exactly tactically outclass them last year either.

No supporter should need motivation for the derby.  Players do, simple as.  Your archaic notion of getting stuck in and wanting to getting rid of Mascherano because "defensive midfielders are just central midfielders that can't offer anything in attack" and getting back to good ol' fashioned 4-4-2 with pass and move DOESN'T WORK.  We have a manager that subscribes to that school of management, we are 19th.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1088: Oct 19, 2010 01:48:42 am
      No supporter should need motivation for the derby.  Players do, simple as.  Your archaic notion of getting stuck in and wanting to getting rid of Mascherano because "defensive midfielders are just central midfielders that can't offer anything in attack" and getting back to good ol' fashioned 4-4-2 with pass and move DOESN'T WORK.  We have a manager that subscribes to that school of management, we are 19th.

So yesterday Meireles, Gerrard, Lucas (all played some part as a central midfielder) got stuck in did they? No they F***ing didn't, they didn't put a decent challenge in between them.
      So yesterday for 90 long minutes we played 4-4-2 did we? No we F***ing didn't, we persisted with 4-2-3-1 for too long and got beat.
      So yesterday for 90 long minutes we played pass and move? No we F***ing didn't because we couldn't pass and certainly didn't move.

So, get your facts straight lad. Once we went 4-4-2 with Torres and Ngog up top, we actually started to dominate the game. But hey, it doesn't work. You must be right. Of course you must.

As for Mascherano, he didn't offer any where nears as much as a central midfielder (which is what he is, but of course you're right and new bollocks modern day terms should be invented just to accommodate players who can't do the job their asked to i.e. "defensive midfielder" "attacking full back") should in attack. His shot against Everton was heading towards the Mersey rather than Howard's goal. If Yobo left it, Everton wouldn't of gone one down.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #1089: Oct 19, 2010 01:56:30 am
       4 2 3 1 doesn't work defending on your 18 yd line. We don't press. We played well when 2 - 0 down is the hallmark of Hodgsons vintage. Everton didn't have to play well and at 2 - o down were even less fussed. UNder ROy we are utter utter utter utter utter utter utter X 2 million garbage.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1090: Oct 19, 2010 01:57:07 am

We have a manager that subscribes to THAT school of management?! F**k me, he must have dropped out - because what we are seeing is most definitely not 4-4-2 and most definitely not pass and move.

Sure, some players may need some motivation for it. Ones like Meireles, who is new to the whole thing. However, the likes of Gerrard and Carra have grown up with this derby. They know what its about, and they should be drilling it into the others and make it known it is 100% not acceptable to put out the sh*te we saw. And so should Roy, but then again he doesn't give a sh*t about us.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1091: Oct 19, 2010 02:03:17 am
      Sure, some players may need some motivation for it.

No Dave they shouldn't. Everybody at that club cannot get away from the build up to the Merseyside Derby. The build up starts F***ing weeks in ahead, especially this year because beforehand was an international break and the bitters were rubbing in the defeat to Blackpool from when it happened as well as bigging up their win at St Andrews (something they reminded us that we didn't do).

And speaking as somebody who has lived in the city his entire life, I can safely say that the build up to the Derby motivates everybody. Regardless of who they are or where they're from.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1092: Oct 19, 2010 02:14:03 am
      No Dave they shouldn't. Everybody at that club cannot get away from the build up to the Merseyside Derby. The build up starts f**king weeks in ahead, especially this year because beforehand was an international break and the bitters were rubbing in the defeat to Blackpool from when it happened as well as bigging up their win at St Andrews (something they reminded us that we didn't do).

And speaking as somebody who has lived in the city his entire life, I can safely say that the build up to the Derby motivates everybody. Regardless of who they are or where they're from.

That wasn't exactly my point mate. I agree they should not need motivation, i guess - more my point is some do need to be educated as to how much it means.

Actually, i'll rephrase. No player should ever need motivation for any match - i have said that before, so my last statement was not what i was trying to say exactly. My point more so is some players, such as ones from other nations, need to be educated as to how much it means to the people. Who knows if they really fully get into the spirit, what with their comfortable lifestyles they sure as hell aint in the boozer every couple of nights copping some friendly ribbing (at least i don't think so) so some players may not fully understand.

So that was my point. Players should always be motivated for matches, however some may need to be educated as to how much it actually means, with all the build up. Because being motivated, and then fully understanding the meaning behind the match, are two different things. Kinda like being over here in the States for 4th of July. Sure, you love all the fireworks and such and get into the celebrations - but understanding the reasons behind it make it all the more better (at least for me) - two different things, but i guess thats what i mean. Understanding breeds more motivation.

I would hope most of those players who come over brush up on those kinds of things anyways, and don't need to be told. But i would hope the likes of Stevie and Carra do a bit of extra work in the lead up to make sure they understand they cannot lose the match.

Mate i tell ya one thing - i can only dream of experiencing that build up though! Bloody hell im jealous of you local lot :D

vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #1093: Oct 19, 2010 02:31:18 am
      So yesterday Meireles, Gerrard, Lucas (all played some part as a central midfielder) got stuck in did they? No they F***ing didn't, they didn't put a decent challenge in between them.
      So yesterday for 90 long minutes we played 4-4-2 did we? No we F***ing didn't, we persisted with 4-2-3-1 for too long and got beat.
      So yesterday for 90 long minutes we played pass and move? No we F***ing didn't because we couldn't pass and certainly didn't move.

So, get your facts straight lad. Once we went 4-4-2 with Torres and Ngog up top, we actually started to dominate the game. But hey, it doesn't work. You must be right. Of course you must.

As for Mascherano, he didn't offer any where nears as much as a central midfielder (which is what he is, but of course you're right and new bollocks modern day terms should be invented just to accommodate players who can't do the job their asked to i.e. "defensive midfielder" "attacking full back") should in attack. His shot against Everton was heading towards the Mersey rather than Howard's goal. If Yobo left it, Everton wouldn't of gone one down.

If by "dominated" you mean "Everton sat back on a two goal lead which they didn't need to add to because 2-0 was a good enough win for them, soaked up the pressure with ease and remained 100% confident in their ability to defend against our attacks, while all the time thinking we weren't going to break them down playing the primitive brand of football we are and conserving energy" then yes - we F***ing dominated them.

For the record, we played a 4-4-1-1 and then reverted to a 4-4-2 and I'm glad you acknowledge how right I am about "defensive midfielders" and "attacking fullbacks", but to be fair they're not my views - they are essentially the view of Arrigo Sacchi, one of the greatest football minds of all time.

We have a manager that subscribes to THAT school of management?! F**k me, he must have dropped out - because what we are seeing is most definitely not 4-4-2 and most definitely not pass and move.

Sure, some players may need some motivation for it. Ones like Meireles, who is new to the whole thing. However, the likes of Gerrard and Carra have grown up with this derby. They know what its about, and they should be drilling it into the others and make it known it is 100% not acceptable to put out the sh*te we saw. And so should Roy, but then again he doesn't give a sh*t about us.

He does subscribe to it (the Allen Wade FA/coaching manual), he just puts his own personal touches on it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1094: Oct 19, 2010 02:43:50 am
      Personal touches :lmao:

Those personal touches being that instead of 4-4-2 he plays 9-1, and his version of pass and move being hoof and chase!
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #1095: Oct 19, 2010 02:47:14 am
      Personal touches :lmao:

Those personal touches being that instead of 4-4-2 he plays 9-1, and his version of pass and move being hoof and chase!

Pretty close to spot on actually.  The personal touches involve playing the middle 4 horrendously deep, rigid as all F**k and not allowing the wingers forward to at least take advantage of the hoof and chase.

He's a defensive manager who is best at grinding out/nicking small wins at home and hoping to hold other teams to draws away from home. Once he's removed from this environment, he will attempt to recreate it with whatever is put in front of him.  He's the equivalent of a 'striker' as a manager but our team needs a 'goalkeeper'.  Strikers aren't bad per se, it's just that we have no need for one and require a keeper.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1096: Oct 19, 2010 02:49:44 am
      Pretty close to spot on actually.  The personal touches involve playing the middle 4 horrendously deep, rigid as all f**k and not allowing the wingers forward to at least take advantage of the hoof and chase.

Pretty transparent really, and therefore the reason teams are picking us apart so easy. No team fears that kinda game, no matter who the other team is.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #1097: Oct 19, 2010 02:53:13 am
      How could you need motivation honestly ?? I'm a fan from Ireland and i can feel it the build up,the rivalry,the passion what footballs all about.

Now people on here saying the players need motivation !! Ridiculous there in the city surley the foreigners understand evereyone off them have played in derby's whether its Liverpool vs Everton,R.Madrid vs Athletico, Or Avenue Utd vs Lifford fc U14's what i played in !

A derby's a derby if your a footballer you should understand ! I dont buy this bollox they need motivation !
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1098: Oct 19, 2010 02:56:17 am
      How could you need motivation honestly ?? I'm a fan from Ireland and I can feel it the build up,the rivalry,the passion what footballs all about.

Now people on here saying the players need motivation !! Ridiculous there in the city surley the foreigners understand evereyone off them have played in derby's whether its Liverpool vs Everton,R.Madrid vs Athletico, Or Avenue Utd vs Lifford fc U14's what I played in !

A derby's a derby if your a footballer you should understand ! I dont buy this bollox they need motivation !

Hard to be motivated if your told to play defensive minded football and if Poulsen is playing along side of you. Just saying.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #1099: Oct 19, 2010 02:57:17 am
      Pretty transparent really, and therefore the reason teams are picking us apart so easy. No team fears that kinda game, no matter who the other team is.

At high level, yes.  At a lower level, not really, it's the norm.  The methods can work wonders given a great deal of time and in the right environment.  We are not that environment though.

How could you need motivation honestly ?? I'm a fan from Ireland and i can feel it the build up,the rivalry,the passion what footballs all about.

Now people on here saying the players need motivation !! Ridiculous there in the city surley the foreigners understand evereyone off them have played in derby's whether its Liverpool vs Everton,R.Madrid vs Athletico, Or Avenue Utd vs Lifford fc U14's what i played in !

Wrong.  A derby ignites the passion of the supporters.  The reason we care so much is because we are in touch with our emotions.  If footballers were in touch with their emotions on the field, why aren't they thrown off by boos and jeers?  Emotion doesn't come into it once you're on the field - it's a job for them and they focus on it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1100: Oct 19, 2010 03:06:56 am
      Hard to be motivated if your told to play defensive minded football and if Poulsen is playing along side of you. Just saying.

:lmao:

That's the key here. Though motivation is there, that is counteracted by a lack of confidence in a lot of players.

It's kinda like being a single guy out clubbing. I sure as hell was motivated to find myself a hot lady friend (and guys, you all understand what i mean - we are F***ing motivated! :D ) But depending on how you have faired lately, your confidence is either up and it comes easy - or its down and you struggle. I had periods where i could wander up to one of the hottest birds in a club and make out with her within minutes of initiating the dancing. Other nights you would strike out due to lack of confidence due to your form being down. You don't know why, your doing the same things, dressing the same way - somethings just not right.

Totally random analogy, but i think it works :D The fact is, you may be motivated - but if the form is off, it counteracts that.

Saying all that, some players look like they are lacking both form and motivation.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #1101: Oct 19, 2010 03:11:59 am
      @Vitez that is one off the most ridiculous things i'v ever heard on this forum !!

Footballer's arent in touch with there emotion's explain all the red card's in past derbies ? Emotion does come into it and their are certainly players that relish playing in big games like this and there are others that get intimidated it's human nature.

Look at past derbies ? Gerrard let passion get the better off him and got sent off in 07..
      2001 Liverpool 3-2 Everton 12 yellow cards off passion 2 penalty's

And everey time i look back at the famous 4-4 in 1991 i laugh because that would have never happened in a normal game ask Kenny Dalglish 100% passion.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1102: Oct 19, 2010 03:13:47 am

That's the key here. Though motivation is there, that is counteracted by a lack of confidence in a lot of players.

It's kinda like being a single guy out clubbing. I sure as hell was motivated to find myself a hot lady friend (and guys, you all understand what I mean - we are f**king motivated! :D ) But depending on how you have faired lately, your confidence is either up and it comes easy - or its down and you struggle. I had periods where I could wander up to one of the hottest birds in a club and make out with her within minutes of initiating the dancing. Other nights you would strike out due to lack of confidence due to your form being down. You don't know why, your doing the same things, dressing the same way - somethings just not right.

Totally random analogy, but I think it works :D The fact is, you may be motivated - but if the form is off, it counteracts that.

Saying all that, some players look like they are lacking both form and motivation.

We are like the single fat guy at the club who is trying to land the hot chicks the studs get, but we don't have the money like the lucky fat guys do. We have beaten West Brom......which is kinda like getting lucky with a fat chick, we know it had to be done but it was way too easy and our confidence is still shot because everyone else is scoring with hot blondes.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1103: Oct 19, 2010 03:18:18 am
      We are like the single fat guy at the club who is trying to land the hot chicks the studs get, but we don't have the money like the lucky fat guys do. We have beaten West Brom......which is kinda like getting lucky with a fat chick, we know it had to be done but it was way too easy and our confidence is still shot because everyone else is scoring with hot blondes.

I love that you expanded on my "hooking up with chicks" analogy so well :D

Quick Reply