Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Rafa hits back at owners changes

Read 17817 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Rafa hits back at owners changes
      Oct 19, 2010 01:57:06 pm
      Rafael Benitez has blamed Liverpool's decline after 2008-09 on the appointment of managing director Christian Purslow.

Liverpool finished second in the 2009 Premier League but, despite the expectation that they would be serious challengers once more, they finished seventh last season and Benitez was sacked.

Now at Inter Milan, Benitez has said it was the appointment of Purslow in June 2009 that changed matters at the club and he believes that was the deciding factor in the collapse.

"I prefer not to talk about this because I feel sorry for the fans," he said. "I was really sad for the and after the defeat the other day (against Everton).

"We have a saying in Spanish that says 'white liquid in a bottle has to be milk'. This means that, after 86 points and finishing second in the league, what changed? The Americans. They decide and choose a new managing director and everything changed.

"The managing director is involved in all the decisions. New lawyer, new chief of press, new manager, new nine players, new medical staff, new fitness coaches. They change everything, so they change managing director then we change everything that we were doing in the past.

"If you ask me what's going on it's simple - they changed some things and by the end they changed everything. White liquid in a bottle - milk. You know who to blame!"

Purslow remains at Liverpool and was a key figure in helping NESV to secure the takeover against the wishes of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

ESPN
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2010 06:28:17 pm by JD, Reason: Title changed to reflect story »
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Rafa - "Its Purslow's Fault"
      Reply #1: Oct 19, 2010 02:01:29 pm
      Something the non Sky blinded fans knew all along but good to hear confirmation from Rafa.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: Oct 19, 2010 02:03:11 pm
      I get the feeling that there is still a lot of name calling to come from all parties. Hard to pin - point the blame in any other direction than the Americans. All be it, if Purslow was choosing who came and went then that is huge and could change a lot of peoples perspective with regards to Rafa.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #3: Oct 19, 2010 02:06:59 pm
      Rafa - Golden.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Oct 19, 2010 02:07:13 pm
      Some won't like this talk from Rafa in the aftermath of Purslow helping remove the Yanks.

But all along Purslow was looking after one person - himself. The Yanks were here and he sided with them, then Broughton was here and he jumped ship to join him.

Purslow is a decieving, spiteful little c**t. Hope he gets shot of very soon. I wouldn't want someone in my business who flip-flopped as quick as he did.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Oct 19, 2010 02:10:40 pm
      Rafa stating what the majority already know, Purslow is a snake in Cuban Heels.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Oct 19, 2010 02:13:24 pm
      I expected more from Rafa.

I still hold respect for him as a person but dropping the "I'm coming back" bit into the mix with all the takeover stuff going on and now this, smacks of sour grapes.
      Its time for everyone to move on.

Everyone.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #7: Oct 19, 2010 02:14:23 pm
      So Eurored - what exactly has Rafa done here?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #8: Oct 19, 2010 02:15:31 pm
      It's amazing how Rafa actually still thinks of us.

The man really loves us.

I don't really know much about Purslow other than the fact he probably played a minor roll in getting the NESV owners and being a two-faced shitehole.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #9: Oct 19, 2010 02:16:26 pm
      Classic Rafa.

Rafa press conference  ;D  ;)  :laugh:  :lmao:
      Roy press conference  :-[  >:(  :( :mad:

I do think it is slightly harsh on Purslow though.  I don't think the problem regarding transfers was him so much as the reality of the financial situation into which the Yanks landed the club.  I think he gets undue criticism on that front.  What could he do? "Yeah Rafa here is £30 million to spend" No, because we had no money.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #10: Oct 19, 2010 02:18:08 pm
      Rafa. Brilliant as usual. Fact.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #11: Oct 19, 2010 02:19:36 pm
      I always knew it.I was surprised with the amount off people here who loved him after last week...
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #12: Oct 19, 2010 02:21:27 pm
      I expected more from Rafa.

I still hold respect for him as a person but dropping the "I'm coming back" bit into the mix with all the takeover stuff going on and now this, smacks of sour grapes.
      Its time for everyone to move on.

Everyone.

Sorry mate, but after all the things the press have written about Rafa (at Purslows behest) he has the right to put the record straight.

It's quite easy to see that he never wanted to leave in the first place, and maybe, just MAYBE he is telling NESV what HE thinks is wrong before any contact is made.

In other words "I'd love to come back, but it has to be on my terms, and my terms are that Puslow has to go" which is a fair enough point if Purslow went and changed all the backroom staff as a money saving exercise.

Remember all the people that were put out of a job soon after Purslow arrived?
      All that to save a few quid for his (then) paymasters.

The real irony is that he then stabbed them in the back as well after jumping ship to Broughtons side.

All he seems to want is to be a power at LFC (Purslow) and the truth is he should be shown the door ASAP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted he played his part in getting rid of h&g, but let's not forget the sh*t he pulled before that...
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #13: Oct 19, 2010 02:23:53 pm
      I don't agree with Rafa making these comments, regardless of whether they are true or not. We've just gone through a turbulent takeover and need stability more than anything else (apart from a new manager!). Broughton has come out smelling of roses and until Rafa's comments there wasn't too much anger being aimed at Purslow. Rafa needs to remember that Purslow is till the MD of LFC and all he is doing is sh*t stirring with his version of events. He shouldn't be talking about us and certainly not in a way to start rocking the boat again. Disappointing.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #14: Oct 19, 2010 02:26:07 pm
      "The managing director is involved in all the decisions. New lawyer, new chief of press, new manager, new nine players, new medical staff, new fitness coaches. They change everything, so they change managing director then we change everything that we were doing in the past.

Love how that is just casually but deliberately dropped in there.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15: Oct 19, 2010 02:26:45 pm
      Nothing new to those that aren't media whore fans.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #16: Oct 19, 2010 02:26:46 pm
      If I made a mistake that costs my company £11m+ I'd get fired. What is Purslow still doing at the club?
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #17: Oct 19, 2010 02:27:53 pm
      Sorry mate, but after all the things the press have written about Rafa (at Purslows behest) he has the right to put the record straight.

That is quite an accusation.  Do you have anything to back it up...?
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #18: Oct 19, 2010 02:29:13 pm
      If I made a mistake that costs my company £11m+ I'd get fired. What is Purslow still doing at the club?

What mistake is costing £11m?  If you are talking about replacing Rafa with Roy, trying £50m+ because we haven't got a hope in hell of getting into the top four with him in charge.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Oct 19, 2010 02:30:28 pm

How did you? You were on his back 24/7 last season so if you think they are a poor choice of words (which they aren't, they are fachts) then he is living up to your opinion of him.

Personally, i think he is quite right to make the comments. He wants success at Liverpool more than most fans and he is pointing the new owners in the right direction by highlighting Purslow as the sh*t popper of the group.

Get shut of the tw*t. Rafa knows about his slimey shiteness more than any of us.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #20: Oct 19, 2010 02:31:05 pm
      What mistake is costing £11m?  If you are talking about replacing Rafa with Roy, trying £50m+ because we haven't got a hope in hell of getting into the top four with him in charge.

£6m to get rid of Rafa
      £2m to get Roy
      £3m to sack Roy

Then you can add on

£5m to sign Poulsen
      £3m to sign Konch

£19m Purslow has cost LFC
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #21: Oct 19, 2010 02:32:43 pm
      I think rafa would have gone anyway. Surely he'd had enough of H&G already! Besides, there were plenty of people calling for him to be sacked after he took us down to 7th in the prem so all things considered there's no guarantee he'd be still here anyway, regardless of whether purslow joined the club or not.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #22: Oct 19, 2010 02:34:52 pm
      £6m to get rid of Rafa
      £2m to get Roy
      £3m to sack Roy

;D

Then you can add on

£5m to sign Poulsen
      £3m to sign Konch

£19m Purslow has cost LFC

Then you can add on

£10s of millions for missing out on the CL (not saying Rafa would have gotten us there, but at least we'd have stood some chance.)
      £millions for missing out on the Europe league at this rate...

Quick Reply