Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Are We (or Were We) Cursed?

Read 6114 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Are We (or Were We) Cursed?
      Reply #23: Oct 18, 2010 05:34:02 pm
      I think the original poster may have phrased their topic title a little better, however

I believe the point they may be trying to make is that Liverpool tends to be too big a step up for the mentality of some players.  Unfortunately there is very little that can be done to prevent this happening.  The sign of a good manager is always when they make bad buys, and all invariably do, that they can ship them out as soon as possible and not let pride get in their way.

Houllier had a problem with that, Rafa didn't seem to mind taking personal flak.

I think the problem may be that some players are at clubs were they are top dog, and find it hard to cope when they are just a number at Anfield.
      Thank you for that clarification.

I was exercising poetic licence with the word 'curse'.

Basically, some players only realise the magnitude of playing in front of the Anfield thousands when they pull on the shirt. Imagine how much more pressure if that shirt has a number '7' or '9' on it.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #24: Oct 18, 2010 05:52:45 pm
      Not Cole - he's played all his career in the Prem.

Yeah but he's playing in a team which is currently doing terrible and is 18th. You can't expect him to being doing well in our current state when almost every player is doing bad.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #25: Oct 18, 2010 06:29:53 pm
      Yeah but he's playing in a team which is currently doing terrible and is 18th. You can't expect him to being doing well in our current state when almost every player is doing bad.
      The poor performance of other players is little to no excuse for the amount of times he has given the ball away. By his own admission he's playing the worst football of his career. Sure the lack of movement up front means he has to keep the ball longer, or find a more difficult pass, but some of his passing has been terrible.

I guess that's what separates good players from great players. Those who can, rise to the task. Which is why I admire Gerrard so much. He's had his off games (by his usual standards) but he always comes back. Torres on the other hand, lets his head drop, his body language screams petulance. It's a mindset because most of the players have the ability.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Oct 18, 2010 06:37:06 pm
      There is no curse.

When you see the word 'Curse', read 'Expectation', or 'Pressure'.

As for the players who come here and don't buckle to expectations and pressure, I guess they don't buckle under the expectations and pressure.

I guess then; the players who come here and do buckle to expectations and pressure, er, buckle to expectations and pressure. I'm really not trying to be obtuse here; I just can't get my head 'round what point you are trying to make.  :-\

Some players can handle the "pressure", some can't. In that respect we are no different than any other big club - to borrow your phrase and to answer your question: we are not "cursed".
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #27: Oct 18, 2010 10:52:50 pm
      I guess then; the players who come here and do buckle to expectations and pressure, er, buckle to expectations and pressure. I'm really not trying to be obtuse here; I just can't get my head 'round what point you are trying to make.  :-\
      That playing for Liverpool takes a special calibre of player and personality. That it's one of the most difficult clubs to play for because of expectations. That we are a victim of our past success.

Some players can handle the "pressure", some can't. In that respect we are no different than any other big club - to borrow your phrase and to answer your question: we are not "cursed".
      No, we have a much more expectant atmosphere than any other big club because we are the most succesful and because of that our decline is much more pronounced.
      « Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010 11:49:43 pm by Rush »
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #28: Oct 18, 2010 10:56:29 pm
      You forgot to put Poulsen and Konchesky on the list too  :f_tongueincheek:
      EL___ NINO
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #29: Oct 19, 2010 06:11:06 am
      a new excuse to our bad performances
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #30: Oct 19, 2010 06:23:38 am
      I think the reasons can be found far away from the realms of voodoo when you consider that all the names you have mentioned have been recent players.Of all the names you have mentioned only Morientes can be called a notable failure,Johnson,Meireles and Cole are all suffering from the Roy-effect.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #31: Oct 19, 2010 06:35:21 am
      Maybe not brilliant but still the best winger we've had at the club since.....erm....Jermain e Pennant or Bernard Diomede!!

I'm surprised there's still so much hatred for Riera - what did he ever say that wasn't true?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #32: Oct 19, 2010 06:35:54 am
      Nothing a jar of gypsy tears won't fix.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #33: Oct 19, 2010 08:07:56 am
      That playing for Liverpool takes a special calibre of player and personality. That it's one of the most difficult clubs to play for because of expectations. That we are a victim of our past success.

I understand, now, what you're asking; I just happen to believe that you are wrong in your assertion.

It is a fact that all clubs sign players who do not preform as well has they have previously. Some players meet high expectations, some don't. ...but it happens in every league, in every country.

I don't believe that we are, in any way, different in that respect.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #34: Oct 19, 2010 08:36:33 am
      Wanna buy some clothes pegs?
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #35: Oct 19, 2010 10:57:03 am

Explains everything.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #36: Oct 19, 2010 11:03:48 am
      Yes we are cursed. Cursed with a pox of a manager. We succeeded in getting rid of the cancer off the pitch.
      Now it's time to get rid of the curse effecting us on it. That's you Woy. Do one and lift the curse.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #37: Oct 19, 2010 12:02:34 pm
      I remember a few religious fans who thought we actually were cursed (literally) because of our prior alcohol sponsorship.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #38: Oct 19, 2010 09:57:46 pm
      It"s time to get the local priest in for an exorcism .
      5strs
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #39: Oct 22, 2010 08:41:59 pm
      Maybe Torres is a jinx :f_tongueincheek:Well he is always out most of the season with injury due to havin 3 or 4 players kickin all over the park every other game.Also look what 'append to Atletico when he left them.Their grazin' on Pastures new now!

Quick Reply