Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

In comparisons our previous two managers starts 9 games in.

Read 6612 times
      RedLFCBlood
      In comparisons our previous two managers starts 9 games in.
      Oct 23, 2010 07:01:20 pm
      Just a quick thread to compare our two previous managers starts to their Liverpool career alongside Roy's, I've tried to stay away from personal opinion and just stick to the facts so they can represent clearly.

1999 Gerrard Houlliers first 9 league games as sole Liverpool Manager following the ill faited joint manager role he shared with Roy Evans, seen Houllier pick up 11 points as he embarked on rebuilding the club from the grass roots up. That summer, Paul Ince, David James, Jason McAteer, Rob Jones, Tony Warner and Steve Harkness were all sold, while Steve McManaman left on a free. At the same time eight new players, Sami Hyypiä, Dietmar Hamann, Stéphane Henchoz, Vladimír Šmicer, Sander Westerveld, Titi Camara, Eric Meijer and Djimi Traoré were also signed. Also, Liverpool's training facilities at Melwood were thoroughly overhauled.

7 Aug 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Shef. Wed  1 vs Liverpool 2                        
      14 Aug 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Liverpool    0 vs Watford 1                        
      21 Aug 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Middlesbrough 1 vs Liverpool 0                  
      23 Aug 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Leeds 1  vs  Liverpool  2                         
      28 Aug 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Liverpool 2 vs Arsenal  0                        
      11 Sep 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Liverpool 2 vs Man United 3
      18 Sep 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Liverpool 2 vs Leicester 2
      27 Sep 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Liverpool 0 vs Everton 1                        
      2 Oct 1999    FA Carling Premiership    Villa    0 vs Liverpool 0

In his sole first full sole season Gerard Houllier led Liverpool to a fourth place finish qualifying for the Uefa Cup first round knock out stages narrowly missing out on the Champions League place occupied by Leeds united by just 2 points. Liverpool finished the league campaign with 67 points on the board with 19 games won 10 games drawn and 11 games lost that season we scored 41 goals and conceded 30.

Houllier left Liverpool with a win% of 50.8% in 325 managerial games.

2004 Rafael Benitez's first 9 league games as Liverpool manager seen Benitez pick up 16 points as he began the season losing our Star Striker Michael Owen for peanuts to Real Madrid, that season if my memory serves me correct seen the likes of Michael Owen, Danny Murphy, Marcus Babel and Stephane Henchoz leave the club and players such as Joesemi, Nunez, Xabi Alonso, Pellegrino, Morientes Luis Garcia and Scott Carson arrive at Anfield as Benitez set about rebuilding the club in his own vision.

14 Aug 2004    Barclays Premiership    Tottenham 1 vs Liverpool 1                    
      21 Aug 2004    Barclays Premiership    Liverpool 2 vs Man City 1                    
      29 Aug 2004    Barclays Premiership    Bolton 1 vs Liverpool   0                    
      11 Sep 2004    Barclays Premiership    Liverpool 3 vsWBA 0                    
      20 Sep 2004    Barclays Premiership    Man United 2 vs Liverpool 1                    
      25 Sep 2004    Barclays Premiership Liverpool 3 vs Norwich 0                    
      3 Oct 2004    Barclays Premiership    Chelsea 1 vs Liverpool 0                    
      16 Oct 2004    Barclays Premiership    Fulham 2 vs Liverpool 4                      
      23 Oct 2004    Barclays Premiership    Liverpool 2 vs Charlton 0   

In his sole first full season Rafafel Benitez led Liverpool to a fifth place finish qualifying for the Uefa Cup first round knock outs narrowly missing out on Champions League qualification to Everton by 3 points, however Liverpool having won the breathtaking Champions League fina lin the Attaturk Stadium Istanbul against AC Milan. Liverpool were granted Champions League qualification to defend their Trophy. Liverpool finished the league campaign with 58 points on the board with 17 games won 7 games drawn and  14 games lost that season we scored 52 goals and conceded 41.

Benitez left Liverpool with a win% of 55.43%  in 350 managerial games.

2010  Roy Hodgsons first 8 league games as Liverpool manager seen Hodgson pick up 6 points as he began the season under a lot of uncertainty surrounding players and the ownership of club, this season seen the likes of Alberto Aquilani, Emiliano Insua, Fabio Aurelio, Javier Mascherano, Yossi Benayoun, Nabil ElZhar, Lauri Dala Valle and Alex Kacaniklic leave the club and players such as Joe Cole, Milan Jovanovic, Brad Jones, Christian Poulsen, Raul Meireles, Danny Wilson, Jonjo Shevley and Paul Konchesky arrive at Anfield as Hodgson set about putting his own stamp on the club.

15 Aug 2010    Barclays Premier League    Arsenal vs 1 Liverpool    1    
      23 Aug 2010    Barclays Premier League    Liverpool 0 vs Man City 3    
      29 Aug 2010    Barclays Premier League    Liverpool 1 vs WBA 0                 
      12 Sep 2010    Barclays Premier League    Liverpool 0 vs Birmingham 0    
      19 Sep 2010    Barclays Premier League    Man United 3 vs Liverpool   2                    
      25 Sep 2010    Barclays Premier League    Liverpool 2 vs Sunderland 2                 
      3 Oct 2010    Barclays Premier League    Liverpool 1 vs Blackpool  2                 
      17 Oct 2010    Barclays Premier League    Everton 2 vs Liverpool 0

So this is how Roy stands in comparisons to our previous two managers I've compared them over 9 games in respect to the Blackburn game tomorrow, I can not compare how ended his full first season as obviously he has not completed one.

So far to date Hodgson as Liverpool manager has a win% of 37.50% in 16 managerial games.

If we win against Blackburn Tomorrow Hodgson is only 2 points of Houlliers start, if he wins the game against Bolton too he equals Houlliers start in 1999 who's 10th game in charge was a 0-0 away game against Villa.

Just saying.

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2010 10:55:15 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Re: In comparisons our previous two managers starts 9 games in.
      Reply #1: Oct 23, 2010 07:04:20 pm
      We won the Champions League against AC Milan mate. ;)
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #2: Oct 23, 2010 07:04:28 pm
      So far to date Hodgson as Liverpool manager has a win% of 37.50% in 16 managerial games.

12.5% in the league, out of eight games...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Oct 23, 2010 07:15:57 pm
      We won the Champions League against AC Milan mate. ;)

I know mate,  easy mistake to make now because as soon as you think Milan with Benitez you associate him with Inter, without engaging your brain that is. :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #4: Oct 23, 2010 08:32:43 pm
      Great work ' Blood', not sure comparisions are relevant at this moment in time, to be fair to Roy some of the decisions concerning selling/loaning players were out of his control and what with the shenanigans in the boardroom too he has had a slightly different start compared to Rafa's and Gerard's,, now things are sort of levelling out we should give a bit of a leeway and let the next 8 games be the comparison matches, if he lasts that long that is, i'm not sure the new owners think Roy is the man to take the club forward, i don't think they will consider the last 8 matches, they will judge him from the start of their ownership, they are being patient and give the benefit of the doubt to Roy, i also don't think they will wait ti'l January and will ship him out and give the new manager the money rather than see Roy waste it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5: Oct 23, 2010 08:38:06 pm
      Rafa and Houllier didn't have experience of managing in England (Rafa could hardly even talk the language), they didn't set out with a 1-9-1 formation every game they actually tried to have a go, they certainly didn't talk of the club as if it was mediocre (Torres comments this week - see Brian Reades piece in The Mirror today), they didn't kiss Fergie's ringpiece and they certainly didn't make comments on a daily basis that made every LFC fan cringe with embarassment.

They both won tropies in the end also, something that I just can't even begin to dream about whilst Roy is in charge.

Just saying like  ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Oct 23, 2010 08:49:42 pm
      The comparison for me does not change my opinion on Hodgson what so ever, however I went into this pretty blind with no agenda what so ever, not knowing what I would find I mean lets be honest over 11 years a lot of memories fade. The most stand out thing of note is the fact that Roy could equal Houlliers start in 1999 if he wins the next two games against Blackburn and Bolton.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Oct 23, 2010 08:52:22 pm
      The comparison for me does not change my opinion on Hodgson what so ever, however I went into this pretty blind with no agenda what so ever, not knowing what I would find I mean lets be honest over 11 years a lot of memories fade. The most stand out thing of note is the fact that Roy could equal Houlliers start in 1999 if he wins the next two games against Blackburn and Bolton.

What odds would you give on Roy winning both though?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8: Oct 23, 2010 08:56:01 pm
      I know that mate sorry if I came across as antagonising. That wasn't the intention.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Oct 23, 2010 08:57:35 pm
      Rafa and Houllier didn't have experience of managing in England (Rafa could hardly even talk the language), they didn't set out with a 1-9-1 formation every game they actually tried to have a go, they certainly didn't talk of the club as if it was mediocre (Torres comments this week - see Brian Reades piece in The Mirror today), they didn't kiss Fergie's ringpiece and they certainly didn't make comments on a daily basis that made every LFC fan cringe with embarassment.

They both won tropies in the end also, something that I just can't even begin to dream about whilst Roy is in charge.

Just saying like  ;)
      Totally agree with ya mate, but ultimately he will be compared to results and % rate, the name of the thread, over first nine games, thats the point, we are all aware of his comments/attitude, i'm not defending him, its trying to be fair, i wished the old f**ker would piss off, ASAP.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Oct 23, 2010 09:00:36 pm
      What odds would you give on Roy winning both though?

Well put it one way mate, I'm preparing myself for two defeats as on the evidence of what I've seen so far this season any team that takes the game to us rolls us over.

I know that mate sorry if I came across as antagonising. That wasn't the intention.

I know you wernt aiming it at me mate, the reply by myself was to all comments to be honest mate, probably should have made that clearer.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #11: Oct 23, 2010 09:08:41 pm
      Last 9 games under Houllier and Benitez.

Houllier.

28/03/2004  Leicester City Away  D  0-0    
        04/04/2004  Blackburn Rovers Home  W  4-0  Owen 2 (7, 24), OG - Todd (22), Heskey (79)  
        09/04/2004  Arsenal Away  L  2-4  Hyypia (5), Owen (42)  
       12/04/2004  Charlton Athletic Home  L  0-1    
        17/04/2004  Fulham Home  D  0-0    
        24/04/2004  Manchester United Away  W  1-0  Murphy (pen 63)  
        02/05/2004  Middlesbrough Home  W  2-0  Murphy (pen 50), Heskey (53)
        08/05/2004  Birmingham City Away  W  3-0  Owen (29), Heskey (51), Gerrard (86)
        15/05/2004  Newcastle United Home  D  1-1  Owen (67)  

15 points from 27.  4 Wins.

Benitez.
      15/03/2010  Portsmouth Home  W  4-1  Torres 2 (26, 77), Babel (28), Aquilani (32)  
       21/03/2010  Manchester United Away  L  1-2  Torres (5)  
       28/03/2010  Sunderland Home  W  3-0  Torres 2 (3, 60), Johnson (32)  
      04/04/2010  Birmingham City Away  D  1-1  Gerrard (47)  
      11/04/2010  Fulham Home  D  0-0    
      19/04/2010  West Ham United Home  W  3-0  Benayoun (19), Ngog (29), OG - Green (59)  
      25/04/2010  Burnley Away  W  4-0  Gerrard 2 (52, 59), Maxi (74), Babel (90)  
       02/05/2010  Chelsea Home  L  0-2    
       09/05/2010  Hull City Away  D  0-0    

15 points from 27.   4 Wins.

Houllier replaced by  Benitez.

Just saying.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #12: Oct 23, 2010 09:14:23 pm
      You forgot to mention the ownership situation in those respective last games, euro.

Just saying.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #13: Oct 23, 2010 09:21:35 pm
      Don't think it's fair to compare their last 9 games because what ever has been going throughout the season before that probably affected the results of the last 9 games ( if you're on a bad run, it's likely it won't be much of an improvement in the last 9 ) whereas, first 9 games, it's fair and square because all managers start afresh.

I'm too lazy to write about the ownership situation because it's already fairly obvious in terms of differences for both managers.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Oct 23, 2010 10:04:53 pm
      Great work ' Blood', not sure comparisions are relevant at this moment in time, to be fair to Roy some of the decisions concerning selling/loaning players.

Another thing of relevance I noticed all 3 managers lost what could be considered as a star player from the team as soon as taking over the reigns, Houllier with Macmanaman, Rafa with Owen and Hodgson with Mascherano.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15: Oct 23, 2010 10:18:07 pm
      Another point of note

Houllier   GF10 GA10  GD0
      Benitez   GF16 GA8   GD+8
      Hodgson GF7   GA13  GD-6

Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #16: Oct 23, 2010 10:26:26 pm
      Personally for me its not even about the points, its the attitude and the acceptance that our performances have been anything beyond lacklustre. Those other managers at least had some energy about them like they were going to do things with the club, Roy just seems pretty clueless and highly unambitious.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #17: Oct 23, 2010 10:26:31 pm
      Houllier has coached France and is a technical adviser for France. Rafa is a football genius who knows everyhing about the game learning at Real Madrid. Roy makes Don Howe look like Tele Santana, there is no comparison.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #18: Oct 23, 2010 11:12:53 pm
      Personally for me its not even about the points, its the attitude and the acceptance that our performances have been anything beyond lacklustre. Those other managers at least had some energy about them like they were going to do things with the club, Roy just seems pretty clueless and highly unambitious.

This is the biggest problem for me as well.

As much as I think our points total and league position is unacceptable it's the dire negative football which is the biggest problem. If we were playing good football it would give us some hope that results might change but I honestly do not see where the next win is coming from and that includes our two next games against Blackburn and Bolton.
      Another point of note

Houllier   GF10 GA10  GD0
      Benitez   GF16 GA8   GD+8
      Hodgson GF7   GA13  GD-6

The defensive Benitez that all the media talk about eh Roddenberry!!  ;)
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #19: Oct 23, 2010 11:25:43 pm
      I hate the Rafa haters....you dont know how good we had it with him
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #20: Oct 24, 2010 12:02:58 am

I entirely agree.

I've said it before that we can be optimistic if we've not won a game after putting on a good performance. That happened alot under Rafa in previous seasons. We controlled possession, had chances on goal but due to lack of luck on our side, we either lost or drew a game. For example, Tottenham and Stoke City in 2008/2009 or such. Even last season, we had games where we actually played well.

However, this season, it's poor performance after poor performance and that's very unacceptable. Even our solitary win against West Brom wasn't very convincing. Other than drawing positives from certain youngsters, nothing this season has been jolly.

Also, another thing is, Man United may be in debts worse than us but at least their Old Trafford still seems like a fortress and the will get results. We, on the other hand, regardless home or away, Northampton or Barcelona, we always crap.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #21: Oct 24, 2010 12:21:34 am
      This is the biggest problem for me as well.

As much as I think our points total and league position is unacceptable it's the dire negative football which is the biggest problem. If we were playing good football it would give us some hope that results might change but I honestly do not see where the next win is coming from and that includes our two next games against Blackburn and Bolton.
      The defensive Benitez that all the media talk about eh Roddenberry!!  ;)

The trash talk over Benitez does my head in, 3rd highest win percentage of any modern Liverpool manager, two places higher than Shankly.

2004-05 5th best defensive record, 5th highest scorers, 4th best goal difference
      2005-06 2nd best defensive record, 4th highest scorers, 4th best goal difference
      2006-07 2nd best defensive record, 4th highest scorers, 3rd best goal difference
      2007-08 4th best defensive record, 3rd highest scorers, 3rd best goal difference
      2008-09 2nd best defensive record, The highest scorers, The best goal difference
      2009-10 3rd best defensive record, 6th highest scorers, 5th best goal difference

As we all know, goal scoring was THE problem last season.  Can anyone see Roy achieving any of the stats above?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Oct 24, 2010 01:34:10 am

As we all know, goal scoring was THE problem last season.  Can anyone see Roy achieving any of the stats above?

Without checking I'd say its fairly safe to assume Roy has not Avhieved thos kinds of stats in his whole 36 years, I may be wrong but I'd place £25.00 quid on it right now.

Quick Reply