Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Fabio Coentrao (Benfica)

Read 45133 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Liverpool target Coentrao
      Reply #46: Jan 10, 2011 05:02:28 pm
      I think Lucas and Raul could do a good job in this system.  Lucas certainly isn't as good as Masch was at breaking up play, but Meireles is a better defensive player than Xabi.  Neither one of them has the passing ability that Alonso brought to the table, but I think it could work for the rest of the season.  Then get rid of Poulsen in the summer and bring in a good DM to compete with Lucas for the starting berth.  I also think Jonjo will be challenging for a starting spot in the next 12-18 months as well, and I think he would benefit from a deep lying role where he can just focus on distributing the ball and dictating play. 

Trust me mate, if we had two attacking fullbacks and 0 defensive midfielders we will concede so many goals, pretty much what tottenham were couple years ago, score load but concede loads. I wouldn't mind having one attacking full back and the other is a defensive fullback, would offer balance. Yes Meireles is better at tackling then Xabi but it's not always your defending ability. Lucas can't touch mash at the ability to win the ball and mash was everywhere. We will concede goals because Meireles or Lucas will push forward which will leave space but with Xabi and Alonso they both stayed in a defensive spot. 

If we had a back 4 like this I would be happy

Kelly. Skrtel. Agger. Coentrao
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #47: Jan 10, 2011 05:07:38 pm
      Trust me mate, if we had two attacking fullbacks and 0 defensive midfielders we will concede so many goals, pretty much what tottenham were couple years ago, score load but concede loads. I wouldn't mind having one attacking full back and the other is a defensive fullback, would offer balance. Yes Meireles is better at tackling then Xabi but it's not always your defending ability. Lucas can't touch mash at the ability to win the ball and mash was everywhere. We will concede goals because Meireles or Lucas will push forward which will leave space but with Xabi and Alonso they both stayed in a defensive spot. 

If we had a back 4 like this I would be happy

Kelly. Skrtel. Agger. Coentrao

;D, Xabi and Alonso. Surely you meant Xabi and Masch.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #48: Jan 10, 2011 05:10:04 pm

Surely he means cloning him and making our midfield awesome. ;D
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #49: Jan 10, 2011 05:10:54 pm

Nope I meant Xabi and Alonso, omg how sexy would that be. 2 In 1 team.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #50: Jan 10, 2011 05:13:38 pm
      You've lost me!!
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 975 
      Reply #51: Jan 10, 2011 05:34:18 pm
      It would work.  It would just require the manager to tell the two CM's (Lucas and Raul) to sit deep and provide cover for the defenders.  They don't have to push up the field.  Just takes a bit of a positional sense on the part of the players, and a bit of managing ability which I trust that Kenny has. 
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #52: Jan 10, 2011 05:43:25 pm
      It would work.  It would just require the manager to tell the two CM's (Lucas and Raul) to sit deep and provide cover for the defenders.  They don't have to push up the field.  Just takes a bit of a positional sense on the part of the players, and a bit of managing ability which I trust that Kenny has. 

So you would tell 2 box to box midfielders to become defensive midfielders? It might work in a 433 formation. If we play this formation I believe a defensive mid will have to join. The only team that has 2 very attacking full backs without a defensive midfielder is tottenham and they've kept 1 clean sheet so far in the pl.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #53: Jan 10, 2011 05:45:05 pm

What we need is a player who can naturally play the deeper role for 4-2-3-1
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #54: Jan 10, 2011 05:47:10 pm
      Agreed that we would need an out and out defensive midfielder (I feel like we had one at the start of the season). That way when both Wingbacks are forward, we essentially have 3 Centerbacks ready for a counter. Barca does this close to perfection. We don't have the horses they do, obviously, just using their tactics as an example.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #55: Jan 10, 2011 06:15:27 pm
      Don't rate him. He was a bench left winger for Benfica before last season.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #56: Jan 10, 2011 06:33:35 pm

Wasn't Gareth Bale a bench left back about a year back as well? I'm not comparing the two. Just a thought...
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #57: Jan 10, 2011 08:12:17 pm
      So you would tell 2 box to box midfielders to become defensive midfielders? It might work in a 433 formation. If we play this formation I believe a defensive mid will have to join. The only team that has 2 very attacking full backs without a defensive midfielder is tottenham and they've kept 1 clean sheet so far in the pl.
      Don't think Assou-Ekoto and Corluka are attacking full backs. If you meant Bale, he's not played LB for a while now.

Edit: About Coentrao, I think he can be our Gareth Bale. We're in need of a better LB, but more desperately we need a winger (or two), and Coentrao would be a very good left winger.
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 975 
      Reply #58: Jan 10, 2011 08:46:03 pm
      What we need is a player who can naturally play the deeper role for 4-2-3-1

I agree that this would be the best option, but we might not be able to make it happen during the January window.  In this case, I would still have faith that Lucas and Meireles could do a decent enough job at being the two deep lying CM players in this system.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Jan 10, 2011 09:05:52 pm

He was on the bench because their left winger was Di Maria, now a Real Madrid player.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #60: Jan 10, 2011 09:08:53 pm
      Don't think Assou-Ekoto and Corluka are attacking full backs. If you meant Bale, he's not played LB for a while now.

Edit: About Coentrao, I think he can be our Gareth Bale. We're in need of a better LB, but more desperately we need a winger (or two), and Coentrao would be a very good left winger.

Hutton is a very attacking fullback, more then Johnson and Assou-Ekoto is fairly attacking every time I've seen him.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #61: Jan 10, 2011 09:14:19 pm
      I agree that this would be the best option, but we might not be able to make it happen during the January window.  In this case, I would still have faith that Lucas and Meireles could do a decent enough job at being the two deep lying CM players in this system.

Shouldn't be that hard to get one imo. I would go for Benega, he is better then Alonso before he moved to anfield and I see him having the potential to be an Alonso . He's the closest thing to Alonso at the moment without paying 30 million, also he had a falling out with the manager and can play the deep laying center mid. He can tackle, he can pass and he works very hard. Also with Valencia reported 500 million debt they may need to sell. okay this is slighty off topic, sorry. Coentro, good attacking, poor defending and also would cost to much.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #62: Jan 11, 2011 03:13:21 am
      He was on the bench because their left winger was Di Maria, now a Real Madrid player.

But now he's a left back, so why would Di Maria stop him getting in to the side?
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 975 
      Reply #63: Jan 11, 2011 02:26:12 pm
      ^^ I would love for us to get a player like Banega or Javi Martinez, but I don't see it as being a position that we need to strengthen right away.  In my opinion, the most pressing needs we have for new players are at LB, LW, RW, and CF.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #64: Jan 15, 2011 10:05:17 pm
      He just said he loves Liverpool but also that he dreams to play for Mourinho.

Look ok to come if Real don't want him to resume.

http://www.mercato365.com/etranger/angleterre/article_487553_Benfica-Coentrao-aime-Liverpool.shtml
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #65: Jan 16, 2011 03:24:05 am
      weren't we linked for a double swoop for him and cardozo ? wont mind that at all ! he gave us a scare in Europa last year
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #66: Jan 19, 2011 04:20:24 pm
      Coentrao admits Anfield interest
      19th Jan 2011 - Media Watch 
      17 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Liverpool have been boosted in the race to sign Portuguese international left back Fabio Coentrao.

The Benfica defender has been linked with an Anfield switch in recent months, and has now revealed his personal feelings towards Kenny Dalglish's Liverpool side.

"I love Liverpool," Coentrao is re-quoted as saying on Live4Liverpool.

The 11 cap international also admitted that it was nice to be tracked by Real Madrid, and that being coached by the 'Special One' would be difficult to turn down.

"Who would not want to be coached by Mourinho?"

A product of the Rio Ave youth system, Coentrao joined Benfica in 2007. After three loans the following season, the player settled well into the Águias first team and has been a regular for the past two years.

Manchester United have also previously taken an interest in the player, and were again linked less than a week ago by the Daily Mail.

It is Liverpool who have been following the player more closely in recent months though, with scouts reportedly sent to watch the 22-year-old wingback at the Estádio da Luz.

Dalglish has been promised money to spend at Anfield by the club's new owners, NESV, and a left back is thought to be high on the Liverpool agenda in an effort to cover the under-performing Paul Konchesky.

The Reds would hope to negotiate a deal lower than the £20 million valuation, and Liverpool could face competition for the player were an offer for the highly-rated player accepted.

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarly

yes please
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 988 posts | 15 
      Reply #67: Jan 19, 2011 06:44:36 pm
      Quite an asset, would love to see him here.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #68: Jan 19, 2011 06:49:14 pm
      I will take him over Warnock or that other Ligue 1 LB anyday

Quick Reply