Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Charlie Adam (Blackpool)

Read 221868 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Charlie Adam (Blackpool)
      Reply #3059: Jul 07, 2011 02:28:21 pm
      Henderson, Gerrard, Aquilani, Lucas, Shelvey, Spearing, Meireles.

Hope this signing doesn't mean that we have to sell Aquilani or Meireles as I rate both of them. Shevley and Spearing can do a job when needed as well and the former is still young.

We could do with the strength in depth for once.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3060: Jul 07, 2011 03:19:09 pm
      I'm quite undecided on Adam so far, I mean he's ok for Blackpool but in amongst some of the best players in the prem he's going to have to raise his game (having said that Konchesky managed)
      True but another way of looking at it is he'll be surrounded by players with better movement, greater game intelligence and higher fitness levels. He may well find it even easier playing in our team.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3061: Jul 07, 2011 03:26:27 pm
      I still personally feel Aquilani may be on his way out. Rumours of interest from Fiorentina, and we have a ton of centre mids.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #3062: Jul 07, 2011 03:51:12 pm
      I still personally feel Aquilani may be on his way out. Rumours of interest from Fiorentina, and we have a ton of centre mids.

Yeah, I have to think that one of Aqua/Raul will be on their way now, but it's hard to say which one....  It seems like Kenny really rates Raul based on how much he utilized him last season.  However, he may view both of them as similar assets to our team, and could be willing to part with whoever will bring in the most money in a transfer fee....

I really can't see both of them staying unless we were to loan out both Shelvey and Spearo as we are way overstaffed in the CM dept at the moment!
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #3063: Jul 07, 2011 03:57:46 pm
      I think both are off.

Four central midfielders is more than enough to get you through a season without european football - Lucas, Stevie, Raul and Aqua. Baring in mind we have shelvey and spearing to step in emergencies.

Weren't their rumours that raul was unsettled in merseyside? reason of the signing adam IMO.

I cant see aqua being here next season either, which is why weve signed hendo.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #3064: Jul 07, 2011 04:02:21 pm
      I don't think either are off.  I'm pretty sure we'll be playing a 4-2-3-1 next year (remember reading an interview with Rodolfo about how it's important that our youth teams play the same formation to ensure continuity), obviously the first team 4-2-3-1 will be a little more flexible in it's application but:

BACK FOUR
      Lucas Aquilani
      Kuyt Meireles New LW
      Suarez

BACK FOUR
      Spearing Adam
      Henderson Gerrard Maxi
      Carroll

Plausible as first and second choices, there's competition for positions and while it might seem a little heavy this year - certainly won't be next season.  Most of those players can play in more than one position/role too.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #3065: Jul 07, 2011 04:14:06 pm
      I think our team will look something like:

Reina

Johnson  Agger    Carragher  New LB*

Gerrard   Lucas

Henderson    Suarez       Downing

Carroll

Would be contempt with that line up being our strongest.

* New left back being either one of Enrique or Cissokho.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #3066: Jul 07, 2011 04:22:11 pm
      I would prefer this

Reina

Kelly        Skrtel         Agger     johnson

Lucas

Gerrard             Miereles           Suarez

Aquilani

Carroll

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3067: Jul 07, 2011 05:02:09 pm
      I made this point months back, if Adam was at say Spurs or City and done what he done for Blackpool do you think people would have been so anti signing him? If they were honest no they wouldn't. Its like a form of snobbery because he "was only doing it with Blackpool"

Throw him in our side and his strenghts will be even more evident. Great signing
      I agree.
      I don't think either are off.  I'm pretty sure we'll be playing a 4-2-3-1 next year (remember reading an interview with Rodolfo about how it's important that our youth teams play the same formation to ensure continuity), obviously the first team 4-2-3-1 will be a little more flexible in it's application but:

BACK FOUR
      Lucas Aquilani
      Kuyt Meireles New LW
      Suarez

BACK FOUR
      Spearing Adam
      Henderson Gerrard Maxi
      Carroll

Plausible as first and second choices, there's competition for positions and while it might seem a little heavy this year - certainly won't be next season.  Most of those players can play in more than one position/role too.
      Gerrrard as second choice?

Did you lose your mind?
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #3068: Jul 07, 2011 05:06:30 pm
      Been a bit of speculation in the press today that we'll play 4-3-3 with the arrival of Adam.

He's a natural left footer so he brings balance for definite.

Reina

Johnson         Carragher         Agger         New LB?

Gerrard     Henderson/Lucas/Aquilani?  Adam

Suarez                                        Downing?
                                      Carroll
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #3069: Jul 07, 2011 05:08:55 pm
      I agree.
      Gerrrard as second choice?

Did you lose your mind?

Well competition for positions means there's no guarantees but let me put it to you this way, if Liverpool are to progress and move forward it involves Steven Gerrard sitting in the passenger's (and not the driver's) seat.  Currently, I rate him on par with Meireles and we need to abolish this culture of people being first choice on the team sheet first game back from injury - he can prove himself like everyone else has been, there's no question he's got the ability to do so, so come on Steven, let's have it.  Note, this is no reflection on his previous contribution to the club because he has been F***ing phenomenal in the past and I'm thankful he's a Liverpool player and not a <random club> player.  He's earned the right to retire here IMO, but not the right to be an automatic first choice pick.  I'm going to get slated for this, but it's just how I see things.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3070: Jul 07, 2011 05:13:56 pm
      If Gerrard is fit, Gerrard plays. It is as simple as that tbh.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #3071: Jul 07, 2011 05:14:24 pm
      I agree with what you are saying that players should fight for position regardless of their stature, for example, Spearing could have the best run of games in his career and be dropped the next after someone recovered from injury, that must really affect their morale.

However, it's Gerrard, he'd get into any first team in the world, and he definitely won't be sitting on the bench ...
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #3072: Jul 07, 2011 05:17:25 pm

Same here. I think that the list of central midfielders is too big for the one position so one body will have to go.
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #3073: Jul 07, 2011 05:17:31 pm
      Been a bit of speculation in the press today that we'll play 4-3-3 with the arrival of Adam.

He's a natural left footer so he brings balance for definite.

Reina

Johnson         Carragher         Agger         New LB?

Gerrard     Henderson/Lucas/Aquilani?  Adam

Suarez                                        Downing?
                                      Carroll

I agree with this one.

Rory Smith was saying something along the line of we would play Henderson mainly at home and Lucas mainly away.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3074: Jul 07, 2011 05:17:55 pm
       Probably his pass completion rates haven't been that great of late or something similar.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #3075: Jul 07, 2011 05:18:23 pm

Some will see it like that, I think he's been too complacent at times over the past two seasons.  I'd have no hesitations in starving him of game time for a little bit because once you let him off that leash, he'll be like a rabid pitbull - you know, the Gerrard we all remember and love to watch.  Currently, I don't believe he's that huge a class above Meireles that it warrants that sort of an approach towards him.  Is Gerrard in his prime better than Meireles in his prime?  You bet he is.  Is Gerrard currently better than Meireles?  IMHO, not by enough to warrant a first choice pick ahead of Meireles.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #3076: Jul 07, 2011 05:20:39 pm
      Just wanted to say how exciting it is currently as we are having headaches over where our players are going to play rather than scenarios going on off the pitch.

I just have to keep reminding myself how lucky we actually are but you still get the haters who want more :)
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #3077: Jul 07, 2011 05:21:39 pm

This is the truth but I personally don't believe it should this way.

Gerrard needs to fight for a spot in the team, not get given a spot as soon as he's fit. I could understand the reasoning when he was at his best a few years ago, but Gerrard hasn't been fit, played that great for around 2 seasons now. Just think he shouldn't be given an automatic first team spot.

I think players play better when their place is up for grabs, and it improves the squad knowing you'll have to work harder to get a place in the first 11.

But he will, so there's really no need to debate about Gerrard being in the second team, he'll be in the first 11 if he's fit.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3078: Jul 07, 2011 05:21:48 pm
       "Is Gerrard currently better than Mereiles"? LMAO
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #3079: Jul 07, 2011 05:21:58 pm
      Some will see it like that, I think he's been too complacent at times over the past two seasons.  I'd have no hesitations in starving him of game time for a little bit because once you let him off that leash, he'll be like a rabid pitbull - you know, the Gerrard we all remember and love to watch.  Currently, I don't believe he's that huge a class above Meireles that it warrants that sort of an approach towards him.  Is Gerrard in his prime better than Meireles in his prime?  You bet he is.  Is Gerrard currently better than Meireles?  IMHO, not by enough to warrant a first choice pick ahead of Meireles.

I can't help but feel you have some sort of crush on Meireles.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #3080: Jul 07, 2011 05:23:50 pm
      When he's fit, Gerrard is in the top 5 midfielders in the world. Unfortunately he hasn't been 'properly' fit for quite some time. Anyways, this is the Charlie Adam topic so let's get back on it eh? ;)
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #3081: Jul 07, 2011 05:25:59 pm
      "Is Gerrard currently better than Mereiles"? LMAO

Brilliant contribution to the discussion.  Ignore their names and focus on their performances of late.

I can't help but feel you have some sort of crush on Meireles.

I think he's a excellent player.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Honestly, Gerrard has been disappointing by his own very high standards of late.  He's gone from a world class player to an outstanding player, there's no shame in that.

edit: Charlie Adam, he kicks the ball and stuff.

Quick Reply