Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Rafa on Roy - 'Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar'

Read 32155 times
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Rafa on Roy - 'Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar'
      Nov 02, 2010 12:28:55 am
      Benitez, back in England as his new side Inter Milan get ready to face Tottenham in the UEFA Champions League this week, was asked about Hodgson's comments that he banned Dalglish from the club's training ground during his tenure.

The Spaniard issued a somewhat cryptic and angry response to Hodgson.

"I think that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand," Benitez said.

"Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. He's talking about things that he doesn't know.

"And some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."*

"Maybe he hasn't been in Liverpool too long. We gave the fans their pride again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players.

"So maybe he cannot understand this.

"I brought back Kenny Dalglish to do a role in the club and Christian Purslow gave him another role.

"He (Hodgson) doesn't know but I will explain it to him.

"So, instead of talking about the flips or the flops, he has to concentrate on his players, try to do his best.

"He has a good job to do."

Once again defending his own record as Liverpool manager during a six-year reign that ended in the summer, Benitez continued: "They've signed nine players.

"With £10million net spending, I left that squad with £300million value, 13 internationals.

"So, instead of talking about flips and flops, he has to concentrate on his job, try to do his best and not talk about the level of his players or the new players.

"Concentrate, try to do your best because it will be the best for the club and it will be the best for the fans."

Classic Rafa...brilliant

*Benitez's Spanish colloquialism about the priest on the mountain of sugar was another way of saying that the truth was staring Hodgson in the face. It derives its meaning from the ease with which the priest's black robes can be spotted against the white of the mountain of sugar.

Irish Independent

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11860_6481714,00.html
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010 11:34:07 am by JD »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Rafa on Roy - 'Some people cannot see a priest on a moutain of sugar'
      Reply #1: Nov 02, 2010 12:30:04 am
      "Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. He's talking about things that he doesn't know."

As pointed out in another thread, never a truer word said about Roy.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #2: Nov 02, 2010 12:31:07 am
      This story has been posted a few times in different topics now.

Topic merge, mods?
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #3: Nov 02, 2010 12:33:48 am
      This was probably his best ever press conference.. Surely the media wont say this is a rant? ....

F***ing ace, you are our Rafa
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 02, 2010 12:34:29 am
      Love for Rafa.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Nov 02, 2010 12:36:10 am
      I'm sensing eurored will be posting in here shortly :)
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #6: Nov 02, 2010 12:39:08 am
      love the bits where he says  flip flops fo*king quaility lmfao at that well in there rafa true to every word you said (IRafaWT)
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #7: Nov 02, 2010 12:44:53 am
      Kwality from Rafa there...it would be nice to have him back

Hodgson I'll break it down because I know you're old...Shut the F**k Up!
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 02, 2010 12:52:19 am
      "I think that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand," said Benitez. "Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. He's talking about things that he doesn't know. And some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar.

"Maybe he hasn't been in Liverpool too long. We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players. So maybe he cannot understand this.
      Never a truer word spoken. I love you Rafa.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #9: Nov 02, 2010 12:59:28 am
      second here m8 probably say rafa talking sh*t
      And the assumption for that is what?A 13 year old talking out of his arse,is no valid argument against an experienced poster,so watch my lips,f*ck off .
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #10: Nov 02, 2010 01:35:59 am
      The Alonso topic was locked and this Rafa one is in various threads, so this should be locked as well.

What's your problem?
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #11: Nov 02, 2010 01:44:46 am
      The topic on Alonso was irrelevant.

I suggest this is merged with the Rafael Benitez thread in the General Football board.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8660 
      Reply #12: Nov 02, 2010 03:50:03 am
      Every man is entitled to defend his honour when being faced with a barrage of lies, mistruth and smear. Rafa Benitez is our leader in exile!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #13: Nov 02, 2010 04:53:00 am
      So as I understand it, Hodgson used Dalglish to take a cheap shot at his predecessor? His predecessor responded by suggesting he had his facts wrong?

Classless from both of them, but symptomatic of the times and only one of these two is currently employed by the club and responsible for setting the highest standards.

Sometimes you have to defend yourself when someone is telling lies or obfuscating the truth, which covers the response of Rafa to the initial comment, but what justified the comments from Roy in the first place? It's a classic divide and conquer strategy from Roy. Why is Hodgson publicly trying to divide fan opinion here?

No comment from Roy = No response required from Benitez when asked.

Rafa knows how to give a f***in classy interviews unlike Roy who has made us a joke.

It's still F**kin Bullshit decsion to part ways with Rafa and to assign Roy. Who is not even a remote replacement.

F**k you Purslow.
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2010 05:08:09 am by Arrie »
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #14: Nov 02, 2010 05:38:06 am

Well, the fact in which Rafa still gets threads on here (which is fair enough) as I believe he is entitled too and entitled to dish it back to Roy. But the Alonso thread on the other hand was locked; why because the people that still have hard-ons for Rafa were probably worried that the Alonso thread would come full circle and discuss Rafa's major feck up in that debacle, and the mods couldn't have that could they.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #15: Nov 02, 2010 05:58:34 am
      Well, the fact in which Rafa still gets threads on here (which is fair enough) as I believe he is entitled too and entitled to dish it back to Roy. But the Alonso thread on the other hand was locked; why because the people that still have hard-ons for Rafa were probably worried that the Alonso thread would come full circle and discuss Rafa's major feck up in that debacle, and the mods couldn't have that could they.

Sounds like quite a conspiracy mate
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #16: Nov 02, 2010 06:06:59 am

Or the fact that prior to you coming on to these boards regularly (you know the world existed before you, right?) that the Alonso topic has been REPEATEDLY done to death, and there is really nothing there anymore. Alonso has been a Real player for awhile now, the topic is dead.

The managerial issue however is still very relevant, and when the british press and our own manager are all still having pops at Rafa, there is an issue for discussion to be made. Trust me, we have all talked about the Rafa v Alonso thing quite a bit.

Nice little theory though, must be fun thinking the world revolves around the way you think.

If you don't like the way this place is run, you are free to leave you know? Otherwise buck up and stop using every second post you make as an excuse to have a pop at someone. It's F***ing annoying, and im sure i aint the only one who is getting absolutely sick to death of reading your drivel at times.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #17: Nov 02, 2010 06:20:54 am
      Fair play Rafa. But notice how our beloved media are calling it another rant. Muppets.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Nov 02, 2010 06:35:50 am
       Once again RAFA tells it as it really is/was,thank god RAFA was our boss when Twit and tw*t were the owners.If Roy had been the boss then we would of had no club left to sell.Good on you RAFA  and thank you.
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #19: Nov 02, 2010 07:02:00 am
      Or the fact that prior to you coming on to these boards regularly (you know the world existed before you, right?) that the Alonso topic has been REPEATEDLY done to death, and there is really nothing there anymore. Alonso has been a Real player for awhile now, the topic is dead.

The managerial issue however is still very relevant, and when the british press and our own manager are all still having pops at Rafa, there is an issue for discussion to be made. Trust me, we have all talked about the Rafa v Alonso thing quite a bit.

Nice little theory though, must be fun thinking the world revolves around the way you think.

If you don't like the way this place is run, you are free to leave you know? Otherwise buck up and stop using every second post you make as an excuse to have a pop at someone. It's f**king annoying, and im sure I aint the only one who is getting absolutely sick to death of reading your drivel at times.

It's an opinion surely I'm entitled to that?

Since I've been here I've been  called a c.unt via the user ratings, Cecil and the old board members and because I generally don't toe the line like the rest of the herd I have been given some right old abuse. This abuse came when I was offering opinions but because they didn't conform, I.e. you think you did more than SOS in ousting H&G and I disagreed I've been hounded upon at times by some real roots.

Yes, my theory may have been far-fetched and I apologise to the mods if they sincerely felt offended, but as one such stated the other day that he had been shot, stabbed and hit with truncheons I really don't think it will hurt him or at least I hope not that I posted this outburst.

I've joined to discuss LFC not to row with people BUT I have my own mind, my own opinion and I'm not going to agree with people if I sincerely believe in something else, likewise if I agree I will say. But during my first few days I was literally hounded upon by an apparent clique and it seems to have stuck.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #20: Nov 02, 2010 07:07:24 am
      Well heres a hint if you dont wanna be hounded - don't make comments like this without even being provoked into it:

why because the people that still have hard-ons for Rafa were probably worried that the Alonso thread would come full circle and discuss Rafa's major feck up in that debacle, and the mods couldn't have that could they.

You stop with stupid comments like that, maybe you'll find you aint hounded so much. Of course you are entitled to an opinion, thats what its all about. You can have an opinion without being an arsehole about it, though.

Oh and the SOS thing? Jeez, still harping on about that?! :roll:

:ontopic:
      Mr Bleeds
      • Banned

• 367 posts |
      • Here, have a beer.
      Reply #21: Nov 02, 2010 07:12:59 am
      Well heres a hint if you dont wanna be hounded - don't make comments like this without even being provoked into it:

You stop with stupid comments like that, maybe you'll find you aint hounded so much. Of course you are entitled to an opinion, thats what its all about. You can have an opinion without being an arsehole about it, though.

Oh and the SOS thing? Jeez, still harping on about that?! :roll:

:ontopic:

Fair enough then.

But I maintain I am not the only one 'acting' an a.rsehole.

On topic: 'Sugar, milk' what next tea bags.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #22: Nov 02, 2010 07:16:29 am
      Well said by the great man, yet again.

On topic: 'Sugar, milk' what next tea bags.
      I could go fore a cuppa actually.

Quick Reply