Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao)

Read 17342 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Re: Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao)
      Reply #69: Mar 11, 2011 10:13:59 am
      We don't need another Carroll we need another second striker like Suarez.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #70: Mar 11, 2011 07:56:47 pm
      Also think we don't need him anymore. What we should look for now at striker positions is a back-up who can play up front on his own and behind the main striker, so he can play in place of Carrol or Suarez if needed. If Kuyt had a little more football brain with his work rate and versatility he would be ideal..
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #71: Mar 12, 2011 11:24:44 am
      Can't believe we spunked £35m on Carroll when Llorente was available for £5m less, would love to see Llorente at the club.

We had no choice to be fair though in the Carroll situation. We needed an English player to make up the 8 for the Europa League squad and we needed a striker to replace Torres and with it being the transfer deadline Newcastle realised that they could get a hell of an amount of money out of us and that is what happened.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #72: Mar 15, 2011 04:20:43 pm
      Also think we don't need him anymore. What we should look for now at striker positions is a back-up who can play up front on his own and behind the main striker, so he can play in place of Carrol or Suarez if needed. If Kuyt had a little more football brain with his work rate and versatility he would be ideal..

What are you talking about?  Kuyt has a brilliant football brain, in fact that combined with his work-rate and versatility is the reason he's been so successful as a footballer despite having horrendous movement with the ball and really hit and miss passing.

We had no choice to be fair though in the Carroll situation. We needed an English player to make up the 8 for the Europa League squad and we needed a striker to replace Torres and with it being the transfer deadline Newcastle realised that they could get a hell of an amount of money out of us and that is what happened.

No we didn't.  Our squad is currently 21 players (with 8 HG) and considering we did 2 straight swaps (Babel + Torres OUT, Suarez + Carroll IN), we've still got 21 players but now with 9 HG players.  I'm just disappointed that Torres left so late in the window which kinda forced us to panic buy.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #73: Jul 01, 2011 02:28:19 pm

Spurs have lorra lorra love for Llorente

Published 23:01 30/06/11
      By Martin Lipton

Tottenham will make a fresh £20million bid for Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente - provided Harry Redknapp can sell at least two of their current set of forwards first.

Redknapp and chairman Daniel Levy want £6million for Robbie Keane, and are open to offers for Roman Pavlyuchenko, Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe.

Levy has told Redknapp he will have to offload players before his transfer budget can be determined.

The White Hart Lane chief is out to bag £11m for Wilson Palacios and recoup as much as he can for David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Vedrun Corluka, Alan Hutton and Sebatian Bassong.

Redknapp and Levy remain determined to hold on to Luka Modric and Gareth Bale, but the hunt is on for a 20-goal line-leading striker.

Spain star Llorente, 26, who has scored seven in 13 appearances for the world and European champions, has been identified as the prime target.

Tottenham failed in a bid to land him in January but intend to make a new concerted attempt once the current squad has been cut.

Spurs want around £14m for Russia international Pavlyuchenko, while they would listen to offers of £12m plus for either of England strikers Defoe and Crouch.

Redknapp's budget likely to be around £10m less than the total raised by player sales.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Tottenham-want-Spain-striker-Fernando-Llorente-but-must-sell-two-of-Robbie-Keane-Roman-Pavlyuchenko-Peter-Crouch-Jermain-Defoe-to-raise-funds-article754249.html
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #74: Jul 01, 2011 02:32:24 pm
      Spurs have lorra lorra love for Llorente

Published 23:01 30/06/11
      By Martin Lipton

Tottenham will make a fresh £20million bid for Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente - provided Harry Redknapp can sell at least two of their current set of forwards first.

Redknapp and chairman Daniel Levy want £6million for Robbie Keane, and are open to offers for Roman Pavlyuchenko, Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe.

Levy has told Redknapp he will have to offload players before his transfer budget can be determined.

The White Hart Lane chief is out to bag £11m for Wilson Palacios and recoup as much as he can for David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Vedrun Corluka, Alan Hutton and Sebatian Bassong.

Redknapp and Levy remain determined to hold on to Luka Modric and Gareth Bale, but the hunt is on for a 20-goal line-leading striker.

Spain star Llorente, 26, who has scored seven in 13 appearances for the world and European champions, has been identified as the prime target.

Tottenham failed in a bid to land him in January but intend to make a new concerted attempt once the current squad has been cut.

Spurs want around £14m for Russia international Pavlyuchenko, while they would listen to offers of £12m plus for either of England strikers Defoe and Crouch.

Redknapp's budget likely to be around £10m less than the total raised by player sales.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Tottenham-want-Spain-striker-Fernando-Llorente-but-must-sell-two-of-Robbie-Keane-Roman-Pavlyuchenko-Peter-Crouch-Jermain-Defoe-to-raise-funds-article754249.html

£12m for Crouch? £14m for Pavlyuchenko? If they get that much for the pair then i will eat my own arse cheeks cause they are well over priced. Find it confusing that last season Bilbao wanted £35m for Llorente, so Spurs decide to offer £20m, hmmm. Yet again going after one of our previous targets.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #75: Jul 01, 2011 02:36:39 pm
      . Yet again going after one of our previous targets.

Being fair, it's harder to find a player we haven't been linked too in the past.

12 million for Crouch will never happen and 14 million for Pavlyuchenko will never happen either. If it does I'll eat my hat.

Also it'll cost a lot more for Llorente. The trasfer market is very inflated this summer and it'll cost a lot of money for these top quality players, especially strikers.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #76: Jul 01, 2011 02:38:56 pm
      £12m for Crouch? £14m for Pavlyuchenko? If they get that much for the pair then i will eat my own arse cheeks cause they are well over priced. Find it confusing that last season Bilbao wanted £35m for Llorente, so Spurs decide to offer £20m, hmmm. Yet again going after one of our previous targets.

It's annoying that Spurs, City, & Arsenal track most of our targets. Seems we're all on the same wavelength for quality of players.

Or there's a mole within the club and they are leaking the players we are interested in.

It's one big conspiracy.

On the other hand, Fernando Llorente is a player that I'm familiar with by name and reputation. But as far as consistancy and how good he is I have no idea.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #77: Jul 01, 2011 02:49:39 pm
      If Carroll works out he'll be the better player.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #78: Jul 01, 2011 02:56:20 pm
      Great striker, but if Carroll finds his form and keeps injury free Carroll will be miles ahead
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #79: Jul 01, 2011 02:57:12 pm
      On the other hand, Fernando Llorente is a player that I'm familiar with by name and reputation. But as far as consistancy and how good he is I have no idea.

He is very good, and in my opinion, very consistent.  He is very good with his feet (not just for a big man) but is also very good in the air.  He is a fantastic target CF who can hold the ball up, create space and opportunities for his teammates, and will bang in plenty of goals so long as he is getting decent service. 

The only question for him is can he do it on a cold December night at the Britannia?  ;D!  No, in all honesty I do wonder if he will be as effective playing against the more physical defenders he will face in the Prem, but I do think he will be a success in England.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #80: Jul 01, 2011 05:38:56 pm
      Yeah he's a damn good player, hope he doesnt go anywhere, studying in Bilbao this fall and am looking forward to watching him, muniain, martinez and herrera

14 mil for Pav? is that serious?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #81: Jul 01, 2011 05:45:04 pm
      Surprised people think Carroll is better then Llorente, I've think Llorente is a better player currently. He's better at holding up the ball, faster, better finisher and he's just as good in the air too. Also he hasn't got the off field problems Carroll has either.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #82: Jul 01, 2011 05:47:26 pm
      Also he hasn't got the off field problems Carroll has either.
      'Has' or 'had', that is the question.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #83: Jul 01, 2011 05:49:52 pm
      Its nothing got to do with us,why post a article saying spurs are interested in him,who gives a sh*t what they do.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #84: Jul 01, 2011 05:55:27 pm
      Surprised people think Carroll is better then Llorente, I've think Llorente is a better player currently. He's better at holding up the ball, faster, better finisher and he's just as good in the air too. Also he hasn't got the off field problems Carroll has either.

I agree with most of this, but I think Carrol is better in the air than Fernando.  Also, Llorente is 26 while Carrol is still only 22, and Llorente didn't really start to shine in Spain until he was about 23/24 years old.  I'd say that Llorente is marginally better than Carrol at the moment, but I do believe that Carrol has the potential to be better.  Its up to Andy what he does with that potential....
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #85: Jul 01, 2011 09:42:15 pm
      Can't believe we spunked £35m on Carroll when Llorente was available for £5m less, would love to see Llorente at the club.
      Athletic wouldn't have sold him on the final day.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Alcohol makes me horny
      Reply #86: Jul 01, 2011 09:46:18 pm
      This lad would cost a bomb, Bilbao aren't going to sell one of their star basque players unless they get an offer too good to refuse whiah IMO would be upwards of £30 million.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #87: Jul 01, 2011 09:56:11 pm
      Athletic wouldn't have sold him on the final day.
      We have made a bid for him days before, but the player has expressed his desire to stay at Athletic, at the time ...

http://www.marca.com/2011/02/04/futbol/equipos/athletic/1296777665.html

The player has said this himself, in a radio interview on February 4th ...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #88: Jul 01, 2011 10:01:37 pm
      Have we been freshly linked with him? Because if we haven't there is no point in any more discussion.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #89: Jul 02, 2011 12:20:30 am
      Have we been freshly linked with him? Because if we haven't there is no point in any more discussion.

Agreed.

Locked.

Quick Reply