Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

John Henry tells star players to commit to the Liverpool cause or be sold.

Read 9703 times
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Re: John Henry tells star players to commit to the Liverpool cause or be sold.
      Reply #69: Nov 07, 2010 10:59:30 am
      For me its just fantastic to have owners who communicate their thoughts and ideas and we know a little about what their plans are.
      Its great to be talking about a bright future and the focus is on the team and the ground.
      Love the fact they are working on improving the youth system - this is the key to our club. No matter how many imported players we have , we will always need the connection with the city to inspire the team when we need it.
      Just nice to be talking about football again.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #70: Nov 07, 2010 11:10:01 am
      Who is he referring to?

Torres?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #71: Nov 07, 2010 11:11:31 am

Without a shadow of doubt IMO.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #72: Nov 07, 2010 11:14:28 am
      I hate the idea of playing a competitive game abroad. It's english football so keep it in england.
      Ann_Field
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts |
      Reply #73: Nov 07, 2010 11:16:17 am

I think this statement from Mr Henry was as a result of the newspaper article that Pepe and Nando were considering leaving if Liverpool didnt improve
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #74: Nov 07, 2010 11:26:23 am
      Thats what I said in another comment in this thread mate, if the game is played abroad, commercially it gives us a chance to crack untapped markets which would only be good for our revenue, thats why I'm rfeluctant to dismiss it at the moment.

Scenario then Blud:

* Liverpool, after 38 games (we've played everyone twice), are two points clear of the Scum who have a superior goal difference.

* Game-week 39 Liverpool 'draw' Chelsea who are third, on goal difference but have beaten us twice that season 4-0.  

* The Scum 'draw' an already relegated Bitters team who they have beaten twice, that season, 4-0.

Still rfeluctant?  >:D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #75: Nov 07, 2010 02:12:28 pm
      Put it this way, if they relocate to America, Asia or even Australia, they will make millions upon millions. Who wouldn't want to see Liverpool play? I'm a foreigner so of course i'm more for it than others but i fail to see how anything outweighs the financial gain here.

I can only compare this to Australia because i don't know the attitudes and such of other countries, but if they came to Australia and played (any team, not just Liverpool), they will fill the MCG or ANZ Stadium to the hilt. That's 100,000 or 80,000 people respectively. If we get revenue for say, only 30,000 of the people who go to the game, then that is already a healthy chunk of money considering the prices of tickets will be higher than the cost over there in England. Add to that the promotion, extra stuff they'd do for public etc. and it could easily clear the revenue made for a game at Anfield.

I understand reservations of some but extra money can't be a bad thing?
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #76: Nov 07, 2010 02:21:20 pm
      Thats what I said in another comment in this thread mate, if the game is played abroad, commercially it gives us a chance to crack untapped markets which would only be good for our revenue, thats why I'm rfeluctant to dismiss it at the moment.

I don't understand this at all, you seem to be a sensible bloke... yet can suggest that a 39th game is a good idea?

Playing a game abroad is one thing, from a commercial point of view it makes sense, but adding a ridiculous 39th game is a joke for the reasons I mentioned somewhere and bbb outlined above - what if we are a point ahead of Utd, we play Chelsea in Dubai, Utd play Blackpool in New York, they win we draw, they win the league.  Sod that.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #77: Nov 07, 2010 02:22:14 pm
      Put it this way, if they relocate to America, Asia or even Australia, they will make millions upon millions. Who wouldn't want to see Liverpool play? I'm a foreigner so of course I'm more for it than others but I fail to see how anything outweighs the financial gain here.

I can only compare this to Australia because I don't know the attitudes and such of other countries, but if they came to Australia and played (any team, not just Liverpool), they will fill the MCG or ANZ Stadium to the hilt. That's 100,000 or 80,000 people respectively. If we get revenue for say, only 30,000 of the people who go to the game, then that is already a healthy chunk of money considering the prices of tickets will be higher than the cost over there in England. Add to that the promotion, extra stuff they'd do for public etc. and it could easily clear the revenue made for a game at Anfield.

I understand reservations of some but extra money can't be a bad thing?

Don't forget that 30,000 revenue would have to be converted back from the Aussie dollar to the pound; that would barely cover the cost in getting the whole squad out their in the first place. Then would Aussie's be willing to pay $80 dollars a ticket, when it is much cheaper usually than that to watch the cowboys or Broncos at $12-15 a pop (or however cheap it is) as that is one of their top sports and 'soccer' has less interest in Aus.

I live abroad but wouldn't welcome the game being played abroad, firstly as someone said the game is English and should be played in England IMO. Secondly the 'scenarios' given like Bad Boy Buddy's would only make the game  a farce. Thirdly it would be like the world club championships IMO, where the game(s) is just in the way of fixtures but would have far more serious consequences.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #78: Nov 07, 2010 02:22:20 pm
      Put it this way, if they relocate to America, Asia or even Australia, they will make millions upon millions. Who wouldn't want to see Liverpool play? I'm a foreigner so of course I'm more for it than others but I fail to see how anything outweighs the financial gain here.

A regular season game, I agree.

A 39th game? No way.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #79: Nov 07, 2010 02:25:43 pm
      If people want to continue the 39th game discussion, maybe a new topic in the Football forum may be better.  Because this thread has gone a bit off target from the title.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #80: Nov 07, 2010 02:28:01 pm
      Play some cup games abroad but not the league
      Playes who dont want to play for the club only for themselves ought to go
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #81: Nov 07, 2010 02:28:07 pm
      If people want to continue the 39th game discussion, maybe a new topic in the Football forum may be better.  Because this thread has gone a bit off target from the title.

It's a focal point in which something Henry suggested.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #82: Nov 07, 2010 02:36:12 pm
      There is already a thread on the 39th game. Would be nice if I was coming in here to read about the topic title
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #83: Nov 07, 2010 02:36:13 pm
      It's a focal point in which something Henry suggested.

Admittedly i joined in the conversation but it's bleeds-ing obvious this is about about telling the players to suit up or do one.

I'm certain there is a thread going around on the board about the 39th game.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #84: Nov 07, 2010 11:03:45 pm
      Re 39th game:

i don't think that is what mr. henry is suggesting. i think he means that we might agree with chelsea or man utd for example to play a regular fixture at some overseas location.

if i am correct then i think that would be an interesting experiment. a big game in new york or tokyo or seoul could be a huge thing for the clubs playing and the league in general.

of course, we could all opt for the "good old days" scenario and ban every social development (internet, cell phones, etc etc) of the last 25 years and try to recreate the Football League as it was!
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #85: Nov 07, 2010 11:07:42 pm
      I love this kind of attitude, about time we got some stability, people's true colours will come through now. You don't wanna play for Liverpool then gladly F**k off, we don't want half-hearted players. This is the motto I have when playing Football Manager haha
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #86: Nov 07, 2010 11:36:08 pm
      think its starting to work now going by torres display today
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #87: Nov 08, 2010 12:14:12 am
      yes yes yes yes no (to 39th game) and some more yes. cheers mr henry.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #88: Nov 08, 2010 12:23:49 am
      So we are still talking about the 39th game then in here?

Topic Locked.

Quick Reply