Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Official SPL Thread

Read 30851 times
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      The Official SPL Thread
      Nov 08, 2010 02:23:17 am
      Of course, I'm going to be biased with the first post and also feature the match I attended Sunday afternoon...

But this is a thread for anyone that has an interest in the crap that is Scottish Football....

12hrs ago I was standing in some stadium in Leith and I was working my way to losing my voice as I belted out the Hearts song at full pelt.

Anyway, as derbies go you could say it was a battle until David Templeton decided to run with the ball, leaving numerous defenders in his wake before passing the ball into the net. Cue mad celebrations...including flares on the pitch, which has happened before....

2nd half: The home team were being more aggressive and pressing quite well. Lots of worried away fans. Eased by a simple free kick, knocked on by Kevin Kyle, tapped on by Templeton and slammed home by Elliott. Cue another flare and to be honest it was the only kind we'd see today.

Then things got a bit ugly, Rudi Skacel was taken out by Ratboy- who was shown a red card- and various 'objects' were thrown at Skacel including coins, lighters and scarves! These same objects were also thrown after the 2nd goal as folk left with 20mins to go. Oh and at Kyle as he laughed in someones face.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9165253.stm

ps. it's been a good birthday weekend!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: The Official SPL Thread
      Reply #1: Nov 08, 2010 11:06:24 am
      Any opinion North of the border to this yet?

JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Nov 08, 2010 01:57:47 pm
      I was at that game and agree with the Green Brigade display to be honest. Liverpool fan in Scotland so have to have a scottish team and Celtic my other team aside Liverpool. The Green Brigade Ultras are fantastic...they really are.
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #3: Nov 08, 2010 02:09:05 pm

Yes but you won't read about it in the media. Being a jambo I'm disgusted at that. I can almost certainly say if that is allowed into Tynecastle on Wednesday it'll cause trouble. Their fans have already abused and spat at servicemen collecting for the poppy appeal outside Tynie.

Anyone agreeing with that banner and the message..... :(

Perhaps Celtic fans should learn about their history and the numerous players that went to war, in fact winning the VC in the process. I'm sure there are also loads of Celtic fans serving in the current British Army.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 08, 2010 02:55:53 pm
      It won't be at Tynecastle on wedensday night I can say that. I think if any Celtic fan has spat on servicepersons then it's disgusting but wearing poppy's on the hoops is like kicking Celtic's Irish fans in the bollocks. But it's a personal choice really. On a higher note, you going to the game on wednesday night?
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #5: Nov 08, 2010 05:20:18 pm
      If that is their opinion, they have a right to voice it - that is the freedom so many died for.  I don't think a football stadium is the right place to do it, but then I don't think teams should be forced to wear a poppy on their shirts either.

I support our troops.

JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #6: Nov 08, 2010 06:02:21 pm
      If that is their opinion, they have a right to voice it - that is the freedom so many died for.  I don't think a football stadium is the right place to do it, but then I don't think teams should be forced to wear a poppy on their shirts either.

I support our troops.

Agree with this. I don't condemn the display by the GB as it is freedom of speech, everyone entitlted to their own opinion. The poppy should not be forced upon anyone. However, It basicly has been forced upon Celtic.

This is an article published on the official Celtic webiste about the situation:

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_081110140736.aspx
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #7: Nov 08, 2010 08:36:03 pm
      Heard about this a couple of days ago. It started before the Aberdeen game.

NOT Impressed with Celtic Fans one iota, but it's OK, they are only having a go at the WASP's so that fine. SCUM!
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #8: Nov 08, 2010 09:08:55 pm
      Celtic are going to ban people who held up the sign.  That is their right as it is private property.
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #9: Nov 11, 2010 12:57:28 am
      Hey guys,

I was at the game tonight/last night whenever it was....

Some of the songs from both sets of fans were uncalled for but are the norm in this fixture. I guess we don't like each other very much. And no I did not join in apart from the Hearts song and 'We're from the capital...' song.

All I'll say is Celtic fans should check their teams history, a few VC's were dished out.

I'm not wanting to get into a massive debate and I've enjoyed my evening.

Elsewhere in the SPL:

Rangers 0 -3 Wee team (WTF?!)
      Dundee utd 1-2 St Midden
      Murderwell 4-0 St Johnstone
      Killie Pies 3-0 Hamilton

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Nov 11, 2010 06:28:27 pm
      I follow Dundee United up in that league. Don't ask me why, i don't even know really. Just always enjoyed playing as them in FIFA and making them a big team, so that transferred over to real life as well i guess :D

Up and down so far this season though.
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #11: Nov 14, 2010 04:17:22 am
      Another Fantastic win for Jim Jefferies Heart of Midlothian, 3 games all 2-0 in a week.

I watched the 1st half v Stoke but couldn't take it any more and the rugby was even worse....  :roll:

It seemed very similar to how Heart of Midlothian played today....crap 1st half, got a pen and added a 2nd in injury time 2nd half.  Inverness and Kilmarnock have both been surprise teams. Many have been going on about 'Murderwell' doing well...which they have. Still below HMFC.  :)

I'd better not hang about too long here as I need to get to Tynie before 11am.

TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #12: Nov 24, 2010 05:17:04 pm
      Sorry for the lack of update, couldn't get on here for a few days....

Anyway, I'll go back to the weekend as there's already a thread on the refs taking the huff which is probably confirming that it's a conspiracy....sorry.

Well, all the games were played on a Saturday!  :o

Kilmarnock apparently did really well but still lost 3-2 to Rangers....yup big surprise 2 pens to Rangers (haven't seem them but that is the typical reaction of most supporters...)

Heart of Midlothian (my team  :) ) won their fourth consecutive match 2-0 against Hamilton with two cracking goals from Skacel and Templeton...poignant day with Kello saving a penalty as we remembered Jim Cruikshank.

This left plenty time to enjoy the other fixtures....sorry if anyone supports Aberdeen or Hibs...  :D

Aberdeen 0- 1 St Johnstone
      Celtic 1-1 Dundee Utd
      Heart of Midlothian 2-0 Hamilton
      Inverness CT 4-2 Wee Team
      Kilmarnock 2-3 Rangers
      St Mirren 1-1 Motherwell

Disappointing if the games don't go ahead this week...still bad weather might save the day.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #13: Nov 24, 2010 05:21:15 pm
      What's the wee team that Cally beat mate?
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 25, 2010 01:23:41 pm
      What's the wee team that Cally beat mate?

Hibs, It's what Hearts fans call them.
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #15: Nov 26, 2010 02:52:11 pm

How do you know? :)
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #16: Nov 26, 2010 02:59:25 pm
      I did not know this thread existed.

Okay here is contribution.

Apparently Aberdeen haven't sacked Mark McGhee because it would cost £500 000 to do so.

£500 000 is about equal to a few Stuart Milne houses and, in the economic slump and house price crash, I assume he hasn't been selling as many recently.

So in short whilst everyone is feeling the economic pinch the only ones celebrating are the banks and Mark McGhee!
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 26, 2010 03:41:42 pm

I live in Scotland, and got a mate from Edinburgh.
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #18: Nov 28, 2010 07:54:26 pm
      JFT96 I was just messing....

KS67: I thought it was only £400,000 they would have to pay McGhoo =  :lmao:

Pretty crap there were no games today...hey, it snows...not the break Heart of Midlothian needed though.

Still it's off to Greyskull next week...., if the snow's still here I'd assume that would be called off as well seeing as it'll be the M8 again.

TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #19: Dec 01, 2010 09:22:59 pm
      Update:

All weekend games have been postponed unsurprisingly.

Jim Jefferies won Manager of the Month for November.  :gt-happyup:

And the devestating news that Mark McGhee has been sacked by Aberdeen..  :f_wah: 

:lmao:
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #20: Dec 03, 2010 05:51:01 pm
      [/quote
      Quote from HUYTON RED link=topic=34389.msg 830632#msg 830632 date=1289214384

The Tartan Army sent a letter to Selleck and Mr Reid ,it was put together by an Arab that's what we call Dundee Utd supporters up here ,seems to tell it how it is IMHO
       I support the Wee Team  by the way , Hibs , Peter Cormack  remember him from us all those years ago ,he was a Hibby  anyway take the Jambos drivel as it is drivel dont bite to all his pish .

A Copy Of The Letter

Stolen from Tartan Army board but a very good read.

Dear John

First of all as this letter may contain mild criticism of Celtic FC, please do not assume that I have a hidden agenda (I am aware that this is your normal accusation levelled at anyone who dares question you)- I am a Dundee United fan who has equal contempt and disdain for both sides of the old firm. For too many years I have had to listen and watch while the filth and vermin which attaches itself to both Glasgow clubs brought their vitriolic sectarian bile and hatred with them while polluting the atmosphere of Tannadice Park and environs- with no apology issued from either club. May I congratulate you on achieving the removal of messrs Dallas and McDonald from their posts at the SFA - after all, Celtic have never received an apology for Hugh daring to bleed on your hallowed pitch and I remember McDonald once awarded a throw in to the opposition.

Whilst you are celebrating your success, may I cause a slight rain cloud to pass over the celestial vault of your euphoric schadenfreude by raising a point or two? Fergus McCann made a serious attempt to drag your club kicking and screaming into the 20th century despite the opposition and hatred of a large number of the Celtic 'faithful'. Under his stewardship and the following board the club was moved forward to such an extent that the whole of world football showered praise on Celtic for the exemplary and impeccable behaviour of their fans at the Uefa Cup final in Seville. It was a proud moment and showed promise of great things to come.

Move forward to 2010 and under your regime the knuckle dragging moronic bigots are now steering the club back to the bad old days. We had the dreadful example of the green brigade from section 111 befouling the image of the club with political banners - I know that they saved up their giros, shoplifting, protection racket, housebreaking and drug dealing money to pay for the printing, but surely at least one of them could have learned how to spell correctly? The club claim they couldn't identify those responsible despite cctv and HD television coverage. That is a deliberate and blatant LIE. You know the seat numbers, the section of the ground they slither into, and you have film and pictures. Emboldened not only by the boards protection and clear support they even attacked a home steward during the match against Dundee United recently - United fans were held back for twenty minutes after the game due to the threatening behaviour of your fans. I notice during your recent AGM that you consciously and deliberately stoked the flames of sectarianism, intolerance and paranoia by insisting that Celtic have always been the victims of a conspiracy led by the SFA and referees based on religion (anti catholic and thereby anti Celtic minded) and that these days must come to an end. Come to end? They never existed - the unadulterated drivel spouted by you was a smokescreen to cover up the fact that your football team isn't really very good just now. Would we have heard such demagogic rhetoric if you were top of the SPL and doing well in the Champions league? "Oh no, we are doing badly - quick, pander to the lowest common denominator among the pond life which supports us and blame institutional bias against all catholics in this country for our position". Perhaps your team is not very good because you shaved an orangutan and gave it the managers job? I can only assume it got the job because it was "celtic minded" - whatever kind of mind is controlling Lennon's behaviour it seems, just like the element in your support you are pandering to, not to have evolved beyond the most primitive early form of hominid. Throwing tantrums and jumping around in an uncontrollable rage at every game whilst blaming all and sundry for ones own flaws is not really the behaviour expected of a civilized human being, far less one who is in a position of high responsibility. Oh sorry, it isn't brutish behaviour - it is defined in a "celtic minded" way as simply being "passionate." Did Celtic fail to beat ICT this week because the officials from Luxembourg were also part of an anti catholic conspiracy? Can we expect that you will prove that the referees in charge when your club was knocked out of two European competitions this season (against the mighty Braga and Utrecht, those giants of continental football) were part of the same SFA conspiracy? Is the fact that your club doesn't ever win champions league away games caused by the same SFA conspiracy? Now you want referees to declare which team they supported as a child - did you trumpet your own allegiance when you took the post of Northern Ireland secretary? Your stance is not even politics of the playground - it is politics of the gutter

We have just experienced the first ever strike by Scottish referees - widely acknowledged to have been precipitated by the recent statements from celtic park. The witch hunt carried out against Dougie McDonald was apparently because he lied. Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you part of a government who took our country into an illegal war against Iraq on the grounds that they had weapons of mass destruction, despite the advice of Hans Blick and the UN expert inspectors? That war was justified by a blatant LIE. I think that I have established that you have no problem with a lie as long as it is "celtic minded". What is worse - a lie by McDonald which didn't affect the result of a game or a lie which resulted in the deaths of hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of mainly innocent Iraqis? Are their deaths justified in your own thinking because they deliberately chose to be born into a culture which was muslim and thereby not "celtic minded"? You question the integrity of the SFA and referees, yet as a former Secretary of Defence, you used that position to obtain a post as an advisor to a security firm currently working in Afghanistan for £50,000 a year. That type of self promotion was regarded as sleaze by new labour when seeking office and used to attack former cabinet members who had taken advantage of their political influence. Do you have any concept of what integrity actually means? All the lower league clubs have been put in an invidious financial position by the strike this weekend through no fault of their own - how much more can you do to alienate your club from simple football supporters? Apart from being a catalyst in this strike you have implied that the whole of Scottish Football is involved in a conspiracy against "celtic minded" people - that is a wicked slur! Keep your accusations levelled at the other Glasgow club and the west coast. The rest of Scotland is happy to live in the 21st century.

To sum up some people might be led to think that you are a moral, social, religious, philosophical and political dinosaur. For my part I congratulate you on achieving high political and football positions along with self enrichment and aggrandisement - you have done well for an atavistic, pusillanimous, parochial, bradyphrenic, hypocritical, mendacious lugubrious bigot of the worst kind. Well done John, Johnny bhoy, St John, newly self appointed spokesman of Scotland's 850,000 catholics - don't know how you sleep at night but I assume the medication helps.

To conclude Johnny Saurus, and to hold a moral mirror up for you - let's look at institutionalised bigotry. Jock Stein, by far the greatest character in Celtic's and Scottish football history was denied a place on the board when he retired simply because he was not born "celtic minded". Apparently 7 of the European Cup winning team were not born "celtic minded" - bhoy, did they collude in a hidden "non celtic minded" agenda to bring celtic the greatest moment in their history? Work this one out shouldn't in people glass houses stones throw. Be careful of the splinters! This letter is not anti celtic or anti catholic - it is querying your right to stand in moral judgement on any institution whatsoever. Do a favour to those august institutions Celtic Football Club and the Roman Catholic Church and just stop talking in public. It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove the fact.

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2010 10:33:48 am by Cad1875 »
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #21: Dec 04, 2010 12:58:51 am
      JFT96 I was just messing....

KS67: I thought it was only £400,000 they would have to pay McGhoo =  :lmao:

Pretty crap there were no games today...hey, it snows...not the break Heart of Midlothian needed though.

Still it's off to Greyskull next week...., if the snow's still here I'd assume that would be called off as well seeing as it'll be the M8 again.

I kinda knew that but didn't want to be mistaken for a Hearts or Hibs fan ;)
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong
      • Started Topic

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #22: Dec 12, 2010 03:58:57 am
      Well an interesting week in Scotland.

Former Scotland manager Craig Brown decided to leave Motherwell for Aberdeen....why? We'll never know. :o

Celtic and not the police recommended the match be postponed. Why? Guess we'll never know...

Anyway, Inverness continue to do very well and possibly deserved more than a point against Rangers. I enjoy the trips up there as an away fan.

In the battle of the Saints....it was Johnstone that won.

Elsewhere, Craig Brown observed as the team he now manages were horsed 5-0 by Heart of Midlothian.  :)

David Templeton continues to impress and must be in the Scotland team ASAP.

Quick Reply