Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Liverpool confirm Werner will take over as chairman.

Read 1870 times
      LFCexiled
      Liverpool confirm Werner will take over as chairman.
      Nov 25, 2010 01:59:50 pm

Liverpool confirm Werner will take over as chairman next week
      Liverpool have announced their new chairman will be Tom Werner, who holds a similar position with club owners New England Sports Ventures.

In a widely expected move Werner will officially start on December 1, although previous chairman Martin Broughton effectively ended his involvement after last weekend's victory over West Ham.

"I want to pay tribute to Martin Broughton and the magnificent job he has done for Liverpool FC," said NESV principal owner John Henry.

Henry, who obviously has a very close working relationship with Werner, added: "He was appointed in difficult circumstances and faced challenging times yet he always focused on doing what was in the best long-term interests of the club.

"It has been a pleasure for us to work with Martin and we wish him well in all that he does in the future.

"I am delighted that Tom has agreed to take over as chairman. It is a crucial role as we move forward and no one is better placed than Tom to take up the reins and help provide leadership and vision in the coming years."

Werner expressed his optimism that, under NESV's ownership, the club could revisit former glories.

"It is a great honour to be taking over from Martin as chairman of this great club," he said.

"We have a tremendous foundation to build on for this season and the long term.

"Our goal is to work tirelessly for our supporters and deliver the best conditions for a winning team and silverware in the trophy room."

Broughton always intended to stand down once the sale process, for which he was specifically appointed, was complete.

Now NESV have started to find their feet after their October purchase of Liverpool he has no qualms about stepping down.

"I'm happy that Liverpool FC is now in good hands. Everyone associated with the club can look forward to an exciting future with the right owners and the club on a secure financial footing," he said.

"I've been impressed with the way that NESV have already approached the job ahead and both John and Tom are winners who want to see the club competing again at the top of European football."

And the self-confessed Chelsea fan added: "I also want to say a big thank you to the Liverpool fans for all their support during the past seven months.

"This is a very special place with fantastic supporters and through a difficult time they always kept faith in what we were trying to do.

"I've grown to love the club and it's been a privilege for me to have been here."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-confirm-Tom-Werner-will-replace-Martin-Broughton-as-chairman-on-December-1-article636869.html#ixzz16IpQZR7g
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2010 02:25:26 pm by RedPuppy, Reason: Tweeking Format »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7151 
      Re: Liverpool confirm Werner will take over as chairman.
      Reply #1: Nov 25, 2010 02:14:22 pm
      Bla bla bla just sign the cheques Tom
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Nov 25, 2010 02:30:24 pm
      And the self-confessed Chelsea fan added: "I also want to say a big thank you to the Liverpool fans for all their support during the past seven months.

"This is a very special place with fantastic supporters and through a difficult time they always kept faith in what we were trying to do.
      Not everyone, Martin. I can assure you!

Hardly a surprise that Warner is to be chairman but at least it's someone from the very top of the company and not just a seat-warmer put in for the sake of it.
      I'm sure certain posters will have plenty of negative comments to add though.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,257 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Nov 25, 2010 02:36:19 pm
      Nothing we did not really know, but slowly the transition to the new regime is happening.

Let us prey that this will be the final building block to the Management system that will bring stability and success to the club.

May be just one more tweak!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7151 
      Reply #4: Nov 25, 2010 07:09:35 pm
      Man U debt ridden,Chelsea up to their necks in debt to Roman both dominated the league for the past few years,Arsenal making profits but havent won anything for over 6 years.As a fan rather than an accountant what would you rather be in debt or succesfulTom and JH think they can do whateveryone else has failed to do be succesful on and off thefield.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,257 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2010 07:40:14 pm
      Man U debt ridden,Chelsea up to their necks in debt to Roman both dominated the league for the past few years,Arsenal making profits but havent won anything for over 6 years.As a fan rather than an accountant what would you rather be in debt or succesfulTom and JH think they can do whateveryone else has failed to do be succesful on and off thefield.

Interesting. I see your point. But surely at some point the house of cards at the theatre of screams must come tumbling down. Chelsea are in debt to their owner, so I feel there is a big difference, just like spending your own money to improve your house, as appose borrowing the money from the bank.

Arsenal are their own worse enemy, they are too showy, they lack the killer instinct they had. They have no "Hard" men like they did with Patrick Vieira. They need a Hard man.

Personally I would rather be in Arsenals camp, safe. But that is just me. But you do need a Hard man, and they do not have one, and I think that shows.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2010 07:45:11 pm
      Interesting. I see your point. But surely at some point the house of cards at the theatre of screams must come tumbling down. Chelsea are in debt to their owner, so I feel there is a big difference, just like spending your own money to improve your house, as appose borrowing the money from the bank.

Arsenal are their own worse enemy, they are too showy, they lack the killer instinct they had. They have no "Hard" men like they did with Patrick Vieira. They need a Hard man.

Personally I would rather be in Arsenals camp, safe. But that is just me. But you do need a Hard man, and they do not have one, and I think that shows.

Once all these big debt ridden clubs spending ridiculous money on players start to fail, Arsenal and hopefully ourselves will be in prime position to pick up the pieces... big players won't want to be playing for failing clubs.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2010 08:10:20 pm
      My understanding is that Arsenal have only just cleared the debts so now they have done so, they will be able to spend more on transfers. In that case, they are in a very very strong position now.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7151 
      Reply #8: Nov 25, 2010 08:48:40 pm
      I just think people havent switched on to what is our future.the amount of debt in the EPL is staggering and a bit like gambling once you are over comitted then theres no turning back. i really dont believe NESV fully understand the complexities of doing business in the EPL its all smoke and mirrors.Just look at Harry Redknapp he is about as far removed from their idea of a manager as you can get but he is typical of the way business is done.Its a bit like a secondhand car dealers and lots of them are dodgy dealers.
      you need new players in to freshen up a squad january will be very interesting indeed. Tom Werners first job will be to find a CEO but finding one who can flourish in the madness of this league will be very difficult.Most decisions seem to be made on gut feeling not sound financial basis.
      Time will tell.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,968 posts | 5027 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Nov 25, 2010 10:30:04 pm
      Another piece of the NESV jigsaw fits into place,adding to the board members and the appointment of Damien Canneloni(?), its clear now that Werner is here to oversee their plans for our future and so far as we know everything is on schedule,  we all were thinking that before long Roy would be shown the door once the board and chair were formed, but obviously that just is'nt going to happen just yet and Roy is very much part of NESV's long term plans, i dont think we will see the big money siginings we are expecting in January and although there will be new faces they will most probably be players brought in to enhance key positions, to most of us we would like a quality LB, a top quality partner for Nando, a out and out left sided midfielder, but that wont happen in Jan, so roll on the summer and the anxiety of who our new signings are, its so frustrating that we have players here already who would bust a gut to have the chance to play in the EPL, players like Pacheco, Shelvey, Kelly, a young lad who to most of us could be perfect in the hole behind Torres, in Shelvey who has impressed in Europe and should be a regular learning form Gerrard who he could ultimately replace, and Martin Kelly, what a prospect this young man is, a future captain who has the passion of Carra and who will fight for the bird on his chest.

I dont give a flying F**k about Manure, Chavs or the Arse, how much debt they owe or whatever, i dont give a F**k about dirty Harry at the lane either, al i care about is our club and its future, a future that has just got under way, and has a long road ahead, the foundations are in place and the house is slowly starting to take shape, but with most re-building processes things take longer than they should, we have to be patient and let things happen and evolve steadily, i'm optimistic and believe we have the right people in place to take us forward, with the exception of one piece, that one piece is hardly our keystone more our bung and the proper keystone is on order, until then we have to continue to give our full support.  Welcome Tom       YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Nov 25, 2010 10:32:00 pm
      Thank you Martin Broughton for your admirable efforts. It was nice to see someone practising good skilled business with Liverpool for the first time in.... 20 years?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #11: Nov 26, 2010 12:05:52 am
      Even though his credability was doubted at times, by me as well, he stuck to his task and completed what he was brought in to do. With a certain amount of single mindedness and professionalism as well. Well done Martin, and many thanks. Grown to love the club as well. Yeah, sort of grows on you dont it Martin, gets under your skin and in your ticker until you can't let go. Think we may be seeing you again Martin, now you realise what a pit pretencious Chelsea f.c. is.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Nov 26, 2010 07:46:12 am
      I just think people havent switched on to what is our future.the amount of debt in the EPL is staggering and a bit like gambling once you are over comitted then theres no turning back. I really dont believe NESV fully understand the complexities of doing business in the EPL its all smoke and mirrors.Just look at Harry Redknapp he is about as far removed from their idea of a manager as you can get but he is typical of the way business is done.Its a bit like a secondhand car dealers and lots of them are dodgy dealers.
      you need new players in to freshen up a squad january will be very interesting indeed. Tom Werners first job will be to find a CEO but finding one who can flourish in the madness of this league will be very difficult.Most decisions seem to be made on gut feeling not sound financial basis.
      Time will tell.
      FM there is no pleasing some people, Lets just make you chairman coz you have a highly developed crystal ball, all the questions and seemingly all the answers!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Nov 26, 2010 08:18:25 am
      First duty Tom, is to replace Roy! Welcome aboard.

Quick Reply