Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Changing Managers' after a third of the season.

Read 9928 times
      azizdamji
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 155 posts | -2 
      Changing Managers' after a third of the season.
      Nov 15, 2010 01:26:17 pm
      I am no fan of Roy, but he has a decent CV as a manager. He's managed Inter Milan whose standing in Italy/Europe is similar to LFC. He has done a useless job to datebut is not a useless manager. He won accolades for his coaching at Fulham.Mancini is a damn good manager but has been crap/sh*te/sh*t  at Mancity. Other than 'arry at Spurs ( and remember he came in after just 3 or 4 games) not too many clubs have enjoyed huge success by sacking a manager mid season. Note I use the word "huge success" as opposed to just success.

Look at Rafa in Seria A. He inherited a team that won the treble and he is 6th. No typo 5th in Serie A, 6 points behind the leaders and the great Napoli are ahead of Inter in the league. Not to mention the whooping Spurs gave him in Champions League a couple of  weeks ago.
      To be clear, I don't think Roy is anything but a failure to date as coach of mighty LFC. Not having Alonso ( remember our slide down the table commenced last season) and Mash cannot be helpful. Lot's of hype re Joe Cole signing, reality is he was sub/squad player, not a starter at Chelski.

Finally, I wake up in a cold sweat when I read the posts to appoint King Kenny as Manager. Maybe the greatest LFC player of all time, but he hasn't managed in 2 decades. I'm reminded at the debacle at Newcastle. First bringing Kevin Keegan back after he hadn't managed in decades and when that failed ( remember the results before he quit) and rather than learning from that experience they hire King Alan Shearer as coach. And surprise,theyget relegated. Knee jerk descisions generally bring worse outcomes.

Who is available ? Best we could hope for is Guus to combine his International job with being manager of LFC, just like at Chelski when they fired Big Phil. My guess is most supporters have accepted that a mid table finish is the best we can hope for this season. The new owners are very professional operators. As we know, they are scouring the globe for a professional CEO.  They are no doubt getting advice on the top coaches aroud the globe. So, bottom line is changing Roy/Woy mid season is a recipe for disaster ( new coach WILL NOT get us Champions League Spot this season) and hiring King Kenny as interimn manager might take us down the path that Newcastle experienced 2 seasons ago
      « Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010 06:39:48 pm by JD »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,337 posts | 2864 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Changing Managers' after a quarter of the season.
      Reply #1: Nov 15, 2010 01:30:35 pm
      If we changed now and brought Kenny in the momentum and general feelgood factor created would in itself almost win 3 points on Saturday and continue on for a few weeks. That brings you towards the transfer window were we can strengten the team.

We cant keep this up as it is. Ill read its not the Liverpool way well guess what neither is the sh*te were getting on the field neither is mid table mediocrity. And the crap that went on the last 3 years wasnt the Liverpool way so that doesnt come into the argument for me

Change it now
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7152 
      Reply #2: Nov 15, 2010 01:37:20 pm
      Tottenham didnt do too bad after appointing Harry.The beauty of appointing Kenny is he is a shoe in no need to get up to speed learning how the club is run. It is such an absolute no brainer for me but obviously for our new owners its a bit too much of a problem to grasp.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Nov 15, 2010 01:40:00 pm
      Actually Spurs had 2 points after 8 games when Harry Redknapp came in, and he completely transformed them.  He brought in decent players in that January transfer window and they finished in the top half of the table.

Not only would Kenny lift everybody at the club, I'd trust him a lot more with money to spend in January.  Or else we'd be looking at the likes of Carlton Cole and Chris Brunt to change our season under Hodgson.

Give Kenny the job before Hodgson completely destroys our season.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 15, 2010 01:40:31 pm
      I am no fan of Roy, but he has a decent CV as a manager. He's managed Inter Milan whose standing in Italy/Europe is similar to LFC. He has done a useless job to datebut is not a useless manager. He won accolades for his coaching at Fulham.Mancini is a damn good manager but has been crap/sh*te/sh*t  at Mancity. Other than 'arry at Spurs ( and remember he came in after just 3 or 4 games) not too many clubs have enjoyed huge success by sacking a manager mid season. Note I use the word "huge success" as opposed to just success. Look at Rafa in Seria A. He inherited a team that won the treble and he is 6th. No typo 5th in Serie A, 6 points behind the leaders and the great Napoli are ahead of Inter in the league. Not to mention the whooping Spurs gave him in Champions League a couple of  weeks ago.
      To be clear, I don't think Roy is anything but a failure to date as coach of mighty LFC. Not having Alonso ( remember our slide down the table commenced last season) and Mash cannot be helpful. Lot's of hype re Joe Cole signing, reality is he was sub/squad player, not a starter at Chelski.
      Finally, I wake up in a cold sweat when I read the posts to appoint King Kenny as Manager. Maybe the greatest LFC player of all time, but he hasn't managed in 2 decades. I'm reminded at the debacle at Newcastle. First bringing Kevin Keegan back after he hadn't managed in decades and when that failed ( remember the results before he quit) and rather than learning from that experience they hire King Alan Shearer as coach. And surprise,theyget relegated. Knee jerk descisions generally bring worse outcomes. Who is available ? Best we could hope for is Guus to combine his International job with being manager of LFC, just like at Chelski when they fired Big Phil. My guess is most supporters have accepted that a mid table finish is the best we can hope for this season. The new owners are very professional operators. As we know, they are scouring the globe for a professional CEO.  They are no doubt getting advice on the top coaches aroud the globe. So, bottom line is changing Roy/Woy mid season is a recipe for disaster ( new coach WILL NOT get us Champions League Spot this season) and hiring King Kenny as interimn manager might take us down the path that Newcastle experienced 2 seasons ago

I stopped reading after that. He has not got a decent CV as a manager, not for a club our size anyway!!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7152 
      Reply #5: Nov 15, 2010 01:42:07 pm
      His CV read manager for 35 years won fuckall and Purslow said your the man for me.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Nov 15, 2010 01:43:36 pm

Give Kenny the job before Hodgson completely destroys our season.

This ^

I wouldn't normally think this was a good idea, but in saying that we've never had a Manager as sh*te as Hodgson before.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 15, 2010 01:43:57 pm
      I heard we offered him to Tranmere and their response was, "It's sound, we've got our Physio".
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #8: Nov 15, 2010 01:44:01 pm
      We can't do much worse than we are at present, can we?  A new manager may not get us into 4th, but then again neither will Roy.

The comparisons to Newcastle are just silly - our team is much better than theirs was.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6975 
      Reply #9: Nov 15, 2010 01:52:35 pm
      We've played a third of our season in the Premier League.

You note that not many clubs have achieved huge success after removing a manager mid-season.  That is indeed true.

Unfortunately, we are at the stage were we need to remove the manager to avoid a car crash of a season.  It is still, just, possible to get in to the top four, or even a Europa League spot for next year.

If we leave Roy in charge till January it will be too late.

Spurs, Villa and Newcastle are 3 of our 4 next games.  It could get very messy if we decide to invite those teams on to us for 90 minutes.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7152 
      Reply #10: Nov 15, 2010 01:53:10 pm
      This is all new ground for us ridiculing our Manager but he is just so wrong for the club its hard to believe that the owners dont have doubts about his contiuing Media faux-pas.How do we make it clear to JH that this man is doing damage to his investment maybe that would wake them up where is our full time Chairman Tom Werner his only comment so far was about the 39th game.
      We need these new people to get a grip and it starts by getting shut of Roy and bringing in Kenny on an interim basis to the end of the season and if he is upto it as I believe he is then appoint him full time. Its just that simple.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #11: Nov 15, 2010 01:57:09 pm
      I stopped reading after that. He has not got a decent CV as a manager, not for a club our size anyway!!

Roy actually has a pretty sh*te CV in fairness. His media reputation + nationality are of greater benefit to him than his CV. Because he is friends with Alex Ferguson Sky love him and it gets him by really. He is faultless in many media sources' eyes. It's just not good enough. His biggest achievement is getting Fulham to the Europa League Final, getting to the final, not winning it. It's a second rate competition for crying out loud. Granted, the standard has improved a bit over the years but at the end of the day, it's still second rate. He didn't even win it. Even if he did, 1 trophy win doesn't make him a better manager.

Like his CV is based on what? Managing Inter, Blackburn and a few countries. He won F**k all there so it doesn't matter who he played for. Does it mean that a journeyman who played for a few top clubs is a world beater? no.

It is also pretty obvious that Purslow did not do his homework when appointing a successor to Rafa. It's like a foreigner to the sport came in, and looked for the flavour of the month, though 'hey, he must be good if everyone is talking about him' and appointed him. Did not check his background and showed that he has failed at any big club he has managed.

There were plenty other, better managers available. Guss Hiddink for example, he had 4 months at Chelsea and still managed to win a trophy in the FA Cup.

In a nutshell, Roy's CV is not good. he has 35 years of crap. We've heard of the media over-hyping a player, something Sky are geniuses at, surely it's the same case with Roy.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #12: Nov 15, 2010 02:02:47 pm
      If we changed now and brought Kenny in the momentum and general feelgood factor created would in itself almost win 3 points on Saturday and continue on for a few weeks. That brings you towards the transfer window were we can strengten the team.

I disagree...

Kenny would bring a "Feel good factor" for a large proportion of the fans granted but who's to say it would the players?? There's nothing to suggest an 23 year old player from Spain would work much harder with King Kenny at the helm.
      I honestly believe with 20 years away from management he'd be just as bad as "old man balls" in the current game.. The only difference would be how painful it would feel watching the fans turn on him..
      Call me a cnut but I think in the current game Kenny is also severely under qualified.. I think getting in someone else to steady the ship again would be a mistake..
      Anything less than a top manager and top players would see us not reach the top 4 again IMO..
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #13: Nov 15, 2010 02:04:10 pm
      Roy actually has a pretty sh*te CV in fairness. His media reputation + nationality are of greater benefit to him than his CV. Because he is friends with Alex Ferguson Sky love him and it gets him by really. He is faultless in many media sources' eyes. It's just not good enough. His biggest achievement is getting Fulham to the Europa League Final, getting to the final, not winning it. It's a second rate competition for crying out loud. Granted, the standard has improved a bit over the years but at the end of the day, it's still second rate. He didn't even win it. Even if he did, 1 trophy win doesn't make him a better manager.

Like his CV is based on what? Managing Inter, Blackburn and a few countries. He won f**k all there so it doesn't matter who he played for. Does it mean that a journeyman who played for a few top clubs is a world beater? no.

It is also pretty obvious that Purslow did not do his homework when appointing a successor to Rafa. It's like a foreigner to the sport came in, and looked for the flavour of the month, though 'hey, he must be good if everyone is talking about him' and appointed him. Did not check his background and showed that he has failed at any big club he has managed.

There were plenty other, better managers available. Guss Hiddink for example, he had 4 months at Chelsea and still managed to win a trophy in the FA Cup.

In a nutshell, Roy's CV is not good. he has 35 years of crap. We've heard of the media over-hyping a player, something Sky are geniuses at, surely it's the same case with Roy.

This!!!
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #14: Nov 15, 2010 02:12:11 pm

Like his CV is based on what? Managing Inter, Blackburn and a few countries. He won f**k all there so it doesn't matter who he played for. Does it mean that a journeyman who played for a few top clubs is a world beater? no.

All of the above
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #15: Nov 15, 2010 02:58:08 pm
      I'm sorry but I think this thread is bollox!

Woy has a sh*te CV when it comes to the stature of Liverpool! We are not Fulham!

35 years and what has he won??
      azizdamji
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 155 posts | -2 
      Reply #16: Nov 15, 2010 03:25:46 pm

Perhaps if you continued to read you might have posted something that actual resembled the truth/accuracy. Go to Wikepedia and compare Roy and Rafa's achievements as Managers. Not day and night the way you portray Hodgson's underachievements. And Roy won the Best Manager in Prem League last year?? Again, I'm not a fan of Roy, and the only reason I'm advocating no change is because history is a great predictor of the future. Does King Kenny even have his license to be a Manager? Other than King Kenny, I've not seen a single recommended name to replace Hodgson. Not one unless you count Guus
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7152 
      Reply #17: Nov 15, 2010 03:43:41 pm
      You need to read the posts more plenty of names have been put forward but many of them are snapped up by clubs. good managers dont hang around the dole que for long.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #18: Nov 15, 2010 03:44:58 pm
      Wikipedia.  The font of all knowledge and accurate statistics, provided by every man and his dog.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #19: Nov 15, 2010 03:50:22 pm
      Wikipedia.  The font of all knowledge and accurate statistics, provided by every man and his dog.

His win percentage etc, is verifiable via sites like statto etc and his away record is abysmal and the ones supplied this far have been accurate enough.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #20: Nov 15, 2010 03:54:28 pm
      Redknapp joined Spurs on the 26th of october 8 games into the season, thats ony 5 less than we've played.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #21: Nov 15, 2010 04:00:43 pm
      I'm normally all for giving a manager time (at least a season) and not changing managers in just a few months but this is a different case.

There are no signs whatsover that things are about to improve and we have consistently see sh*te tactics and strategies which are not what Liverpool FC is all about.

The only reason I want a change of  manager sharpish because I don't want Roy to put the club in a disastrous position and then the next manager would have a bigger mountain to climb.

We don't want to see Roy's idea of strenghtening the squad with the signings of Carlton Cole and such after seeing his purchase of Poulsen and Konchesky.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #22: Nov 15, 2010 04:14:10 pm
      I,m all for giving a manager time but in this case, time is not on our side or on the side of Roy Hodgson. We have just been taken over by NESV for 300 million. The fans were trually thrilled when got rid of H+G and everything was starting to look rosey again. The new owners will now start to know that thier honeymoon period is well and trually over. If they want to protect thier investment ROY HODGSON MUST GO NOW. Take a look at what they are potencially going to loose if they keep thier faith in this manager.

The fans are starting to turn now and its starting to get ugly with fans chanting King Kennys name at the Stoke game. They know RH is,nt the man for the job are are now starting to vent thier anger.

The players are turning. We are running the risk of losing our best players, valluable assets that NESV can not afford to loose.

loosing face in the transfer market. Will we be able to attract the best players when we are mid table.

NESV must act now and try to save our season and not loose face with the majority of the fans.

Quick Reply