Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool 3 - 0 West Ham - post match smiles

Read 13412 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Liverpool 3 - 0 West Ham - post match smiles
      Nov 21, 2010 05:09:58 pm
      NB: This topic was created the day after the game.  Unfortunately the forum was offline for only the second match in just under 5 years.  By the way - we won both those games. ;)

Very good first half, second half was more of a relaxed affair. West Ham looked like a side void of any fight and spirit - if they continue to play like that, their relegation will be justified.

As for us, I was pleased to see us get at them from the first whistle and you can only beat what's in front of you. Meireles was my man of the match but there was also some other good performances in there. No complaints from me whatsoever! Well in red men!
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2010 07:51:02 pm by JD »
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Re: Liverpool 3 - 0 West Ham - post match smiles
      Reply #1: Nov 21, 2010 05:12:23 pm
      Great result well done lads nice to see kuyt praise gerrard after the penalty
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2010 05:14:27 pm by redkenny, Reason: gr8 is not a word DO NOT USE TEXT LANGUAGE »
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #2: Nov 21, 2010 05:13:06 pm
      Meireles was my man of the match but there was also some other good performances in there. No complaints from me whatsoever!

Seconded, however, it would of been nice to see Dani play
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #3: Nov 21, 2010 05:20:15 pm
      Played brilliantly in the first half against an absoloutely awful West Ham side, but we'll focus on our own game. First half we were great, the second we were cool and composed, I personally felt we should have went for it and added another 2 or 3 to boost the confidence but it's Roy we're talking about. Still though, did the job the first half and kept cool heads to finish it the second half.

One thing I will say is if Dani Pacheco can't get a game for Roy when we're crusing 3-0 against the worst team in the league then I seriously cannot think when he will get a game. Shelvey seems to get his fair amount of chances so it's not a problem of not playing young players that Roy has, but we need to start giving him games because he's going to be some player one day, maybe with another team.

Still though, a good day for us and I'll give Roy credit for this game. Bring on the next game!
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #4: Nov 21, 2010 05:22:51 pm
      No offence to Lucas whos been playing well lately, but for me Meireles has to start alongside Gerrard every game in the center, especially at Anfield and against lesser teams. Thought he was brilliant yesterday, showed a great range of passing and controlled the midfield.
      Felt strange watching someone bar Gerrard spraying 40 yard passes around..

Torres is so much more involved with Kuyt/Ngog up with him.

1st half we played some really good stuff, sat back as expected in the second half.
      Have to say West Ham were woeful though.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #5: Nov 21, 2010 05:23:40 pm
      I thought Poulsen had a great game yesterday.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Nov 21, 2010 05:30:24 pm

Same, :O

Thought the whole team played well. Poulsen and Konchesky had very good games which needs pointing out when they are constantly criticised.

No real MOTM for me, was an all round good team performance, but I knew we would win comfortably, its the away record that makes me worry.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 21, 2010 05:31:47 pm
      well its a paradox about the steven gerrad effect this proves it. west ham played like we played against wigan. hope this can give us confidence against spurs next week. we played as a team and when that happens we usually win. play like this every week might make the top four. having two up front i think works better
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #8: Nov 21, 2010 05:35:35 pm
      Great to see Liverpool attack in the 1st half, and play so well on the whole.Just a pity they couldn't of scored a few more goals to boost goal difference against a poor West Ham side. Managed to pick up a pretty good streaming on my computer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,687 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Nov 21, 2010 05:41:09 pm
      Raul man of the match for me. Showed again that he has all the qualities for CM. Wasted on the wings. The team showed us that with a few extra players and the right manager we could very well finsh top four this year. With Gerrard out Roy had his hand forced with regard to Raul. Will he learn or will he overcomplicate things when Gerrard and Lucas are back. Anyway Im going off on a tangent. 7 points for me :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Nov 21, 2010 05:41:17 pm
      Like RedKenny said, it was good to see us go at them right from the start, our 3 goal victory was no more than we deserved, in fact, if we'd have upped the tempo in the second half we could have had another two.

Overall, a very good first half, West Ham are in serious dire straits though, all credit to their fans for cheering them on till the end even though they knew there was no hope.

I thought Johnson, Meireles, N'Gog and Carra all played well, but credit to the whole team, as that's what it was, a team performance, let's hope we build on this for the Tottenham game next week.

Well Done lads.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #11: Nov 21, 2010 05:53:35 pm
      Great first half, poor second half to be honest, would have liked to see us kick on and go for it, 6-0 would have been a great boost.

Thought pretty much everyone played well, even Poulsen and Konchesky though I noticed a few misplaced passes and errors from them - but maybe I was looking for them.

Great to see Aurelio back, hope to see him at LB next week (not in the Europa league).

Johnson played amazingly well, not just his goal, but it is so great to see him attacking but he didn't have much of any defensive duties to take care of.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Nov 21, 2010 05:54:54 pm
      First match I've seen at Anfield. A good first half display that led to 3-0 win, albeit against a very much weaker opponent.

I think that's the best first half performace I've seen this season. I wasn't very happy with the second half. Score could have been 6 or 7 to nil but I guess three points is all that matters.

I think everyone generally did well, yes, even Poulsen! I think Meireles had a very fine game in central of midfielder. Can kick with both feet and is an excellent passer. Why, oh why does Roy still play him on the right? :mad:

Torres hit the bar, made some nice runs when the ball is played to him and had a fair amount of chances on goal. What I dislike about the way we play is, we sometimes tend to pass it back or side instead of getting it to Torres and no, we should never do hoofing. He's not that kind of forward. He excels when the ball is played on the ground to him.

All in all, a very good day for all of us, especially for me!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #13: Nov 21, 2010 05:55:10 pm

A joke surely? Apart from his admittedly great effort on goal, I wasn't even aware of him playing in the game. Utter mediocrity...
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #14: Nov 21, 2010 05:57:11 pm
      Great first half, thought we relaxed to much in the second half. But overall a good perfomance agianst a poor side. Standouts for me were Meireles, Johnson, Maxi and Ngog and Torres were lively.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Nov 21, 2010 05:59:47 pm
      Only 9 points off Chelsea and United...  :f_whistle:
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #16: Nov 21, 2010 06:02:50 pm

Madness thinking of the start we have had. Let's also not forget united have had a piss easy start to their season.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #17: Nov 21, 2010 06:03:53 pm
      Well we need to build on this, if we can win next week at spuds then its going to be a good weekend
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #18: Nov 21, 2010 06:06:33 pm
      Glad to see us winning a match comfortably :)

Against West Ham at home, it's no less than most sides would be expecting this season.
      But I just hope we can match that attacking display against spurs next week.
      Could've been 5-0 if it wern't for Rob Green. That double save against Torres and then Poulsen is one of the best i've ever seen.

Actually only got to see the highlights as i was in work during the match, but it looked like we dominated from start to finish. Nice goals.

Johnson as he always does, a pretty nifty finisher inside the box.
      Kuyt as he always does, a pretty cool penalty taker. (Nice to see him point to stevie after he scored :D )
      And a very fine header from Maxi.

Can never tell any more how we'll go into the next match, but so far this season we've played better in the bigger matches, so I hope we carry that into the spurs game.

6 points behind City who are currently in 4th place. The table is so tight this season that all you have to do is string a few wins together and you can climb up into the top 4 - look at Bolton. We're in the top 10, then after a few wins on the bounce they climbed into 4th yesterday.

It's complicated at the moment because any good results we have only give Hodgson more time, so ironically, the more we win, the worse it may be in the long run.
      I just wish JWH could get rid of him even if we do keep winning, but I don't think he will.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #19: Nov 21, 2010 06:06:38 pm

Take that to the kneejerk thread. There is no place for such optimism here! ;)
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #20: Nov 21, 2010 06:12:08 pm
      Only 9 points off Chelsea and United...  :f_whistle:

Crazy isn't it.

The way we've played this season we deserve to be about 20 points off the top.

Having seen the Chelsea of the last 4 games, no side in this league is invincible. But it does worry me that this season is looking perfect for Man U to snatch the title. I'm convinced, this season, the points total to win the league will be the lowest ever. If we were playing anywhere near decent, it would be our best chance to win the league in years.

Imagine if we'd have taken 6 points from Wigan and Stoke!
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #21: Nov 21, 2010 06:22:30 pm
      Nice game  :)..great to see us attacking  in the first half ,,the second half was poor.....Johnson, Kuyt, Meireles and Torres did a great job. but Torres was unlucky..the big test now is Tottenham..
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2010 08:49:02 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Could we have some Capital letters in future please ! »
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #22: Nov 21, 2010 06:24:15 pm
      Thought Meireles did well in the playmaker role. Johnson, Kuyt, N'gog all looked lively. just a little thought that maybe Torres looked a small bit dis-interested?
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2010 08:49:36 pm by MsGerrard »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #23: Nov 21, 2010 06:40:53 pm
      Same, :O

Thought the whole team played well. Poulsen and Konchesky had very good games which needs pointing out when they are constantly criticised.

No real MOTM for me, was an all round good team performance, but I knew we would win comfortably, its the away record that makes me worry.
      Any player who did not play well against weak opposition like West Ham should not be playing for a club in the premier league.The 3 points were very welcome but really we should of had another 3 goals in the second half.I thought Meireless had a very good game and looks to be settling in well in the side.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #24: Nov 21, 2010 06:41:29 pm
      We won't play a worse team this season than the Hammers....everyone played their part and i really enjoyed the first half....

Maybe we could have turned the screw second half but it was just nice to see a composed performance..I felt somewhat sorry for the West Ham fans who kept their sense of humour up all match.

It's so much better to see two start up front and there was a nice balance and shape to the team i haven't seen all season,i know the opposition has to be taken into account(god they were awful)but i hope this can be the start of better things to come.....

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Nov 21, 2010 06:57:07 pm
      Win is always the important thing so nice on that lads. Also nice to score 3 in a game. Bonus that Nando didnt score and obviously Stevie didn't. Point being good to see 3 goals being spread about particularly Johnson and Maxi netting

But I was slightly annoyed by our 2nd half display really thought wed have got 5 or 6 if we had gone for the throat.

Anyway 3 points was the main thing now can we get something next week please
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,996 posts | 5049 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26: Nov 21, 2010 07:00:45 pm
      Great win from the lads but not getting too excited it was only West Sham, but even so you can only play whats in front of you, great confidence boost for the yids next week, Meireles was top and showed why he is rated in Europe, why Roy plays him wide is beyond me, some good performances from Johnson, Kuyt, Ngog, Maxi and of course Nando, we look a different team when he has company up front, now we need to push on from here, i would settle for a point away at the Lane but if we can play like we know we can there is no reason we cant get all three pts, all we need is for Roy to believe more in his players to come up with the goods instead of being to negative, well done Redmen very easy on the eye especially first half, and credit to Roy too he got the balance right and it worked a treat, well done all.YNWA.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Nov 21, 2010 07:03:19 pm
      A win is a win I wouldn't look anything into it, West ham are awful and looked like they couldn't give a sh*t. Normal service will be resumed next week under Hodgson.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #28: Nov 21, 2010 07:10:50 pm
      What about Meireles next to Lucas and Gerrard playing behind Torres? If we play Meireles next to Gerrard what do we do with Lucas?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #29: Nov 21, 2010 07:13:35 pm
      Fantastic first half run of the mill Second, but the game had already been put to bed and it was ONLY West Ham !
      Next week is the big test, the way the Yids came back against the Arse yesterday showed that there no pushovers. if we take 3pts from that lot Then I'll begin to believe again ! 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #30: Nov 21, 2010 07:14:37 pm
      Lucas has played a lot more poor matches than good ones this season and I'd much prefer to see Meirles and Gerrard in midfield with Cole behind Torres.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #31: Nov 21, 2010 07:15:57 pm
      Lets not flatter ourselves they were f***in sh*te. Lets see how we shape up against the big noses
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #32: Nov 21, 2010 07:18:45 pm
      Lucas has played a lot more poor matches than good ones this season

Disagree.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #33: Nov 21, 2010 07:23:46 pm
      Lucas has played a lot more poor matches than good ones this season and I'd much prefer to see Meirles and Gerrard in midfield with Cole behind Torres.

I think Lucas has done well but I'd be foolish to think I don't want to see Meireles/Gerrard in the middle with Cole in behind Torres. I agree with it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #34: Nov 21, 2010 07:27:05 pm
      Barring the Chelsea and Blackburn match he has not excelled in any other matches. I remember his performance against Everton and earlier in the season when along with the rest of the team he was awful when he played.

I think it is very hard for anyone to argue against Meirles and Gerrard being our best midfield pairing.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #35: Nov 21, 2010 07:27:39 pm
      What about Meireles next to Lucas and Gerrard playing behind Torres? If we play Meireles next to Gerrard what do we do with Lucas?
      As I said before Lucas has had some really good games this season, but honestly, I would accomdate Merelies in central midfield before I would Lucas.

We seem to of created a myth that its compulsory for us to play a holding midfielder in the recent seasons. Can't see any harm in us risking 4-4-2 for a few games. Gerrard had a good season behind Torres in 2008/2009, but last year (Injurys aside) it was abit of a shambles at times they were that isolated. Stevie needs to be in the center for me, influences the game so much more.

Would love to see us consistently try this for a few matches..

Kuyt   Gerrard   Merelies  Maxi

Kuyt/Ngog/Cole   Torres

Torres is involved so much more in the game when hes got someone up with him.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #36: Nov 21, 2010 07:29:16 pm

You could say that for everyone - but no, you just choose to pick Lucas instead.

Anyways, looking at positives! Great match, could have been even greater than it was had we turned the screw with a couple more goals, but beggers can't be choosers eh! I was just happy to see us play a full 90 minutes. Yeah, the second half was a bit flatter but we still looked more eager than we have at other times this season, and had a couple good sites at goal (Aurelio just missing, and Torres would have had one had it not been for Green and the bar).

Are we getting a MOTM poll up or? For me it was Meireles - we all knew he was a great player, and he showed that yesterday. I F***ing hope that Roy sees that the center is where he should be, and F**k off this out of position sh*t.

Overall, I'm a happy lad! Would have liked more than 3 goals based on the performance, but i'll take 3-0 any day ;D

YNWA!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,687 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Nov 21, 2010 07:31:34 pm
      Torres and Gerrard are our best forward partnership for the big games. Personally it's the pairing I'd utilise with everyone fit. If we dont recruit in midfield come January then I would start them upfront with Lucas and Raul in midfield.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #38: Nov 21, 2010 07:31:53 pm
      I chose Lucas because he is playing ahead of Meirles in the centre and Meirles showed yesterday why he is a better player than him in there that is all.

You don't have to jump on my back YNWA when I mention Lucas name. Gerrard and Meirles in midfield with Cole behind Torres would be our strongest team in my opinion.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #39: Nov 21, 2010 07:32:14 pm
      I was in work for the game (shock), But I knew I could not lose.

If we won Wayhay! But with odds of 3-1 for a draw, and 6-1 for a WHU win, and our past two performances and results could you blame me? Anyway I'm £10 down! That should teach me..

What is interesting and may come as a shock to you is we have a better home record than Arsenal!

Only saw the game on MotD this morning.

Disappointed we did not get more in the 2nd half to get a positive GD.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #40: Nov 21, 2010 07:40:23 pm
      I chose Lucas because he is playing ahead of Meirles in the centre and Meirles showed yesterday why he is a better player than him in there that is all.

You don't have to jump on my back YNWA when I mention Lucas name. Gerrard and Meirles in midfield with Cole behind Torres would be our strongest team in my opinion.

Of course it would. But i just get sick of it always being about Lucas, when he has been one of our better players overall this season. I don't jump on your back everytime you mention it, i jump on your back everytime you UNFAIRLY criticize him - just happens to be a lot ;)
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #41: Nov 21, 2010 07:41:00 pm
      Meireles was my man of the match yesterday ,great work rate and skill, Nando looking very sharp and trying his best ,admittedly West Ham were poor and lacked ideas but we showed a clinical edge that has been missing this season ,Also liked Maxi's contribution and skill,good performance lads ! thanks for that effort ,did me and yourselves proud !
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #42: Nov 21, 2010 07:41:52 pm
      well done lads   agood game finally , we have to build up on this in the coming games
       Raul was a master in the centre , there where he should play, poulsen  had a good game too for a change
       the pundit (don't know who he was, infact i dont care) commenting pissed me off , all the game was moaning about how poor WH were playing . not a praise for the way liverpool were playing >tw*t

ps .thanks to the adm. and mods for re-establishing the forum, been lost without it to be honest good job mates
        YNWA
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #43: Nov 21, 2010 07:47:37 pm
      Three very much needed points, good first half, disappointed in the second, should have gone for the juggler and finished them off.
      After all it was only W.H.U. The whipping boys of the premier.

Bigger test in the match against Spurs next, should be very interesting?
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #44: Nov 21, 2010 08:00:30 pm
      Haha one of the best performances of the season and under Hodgson(in the 1st half anyway) and the forum goes down :D

Still though well played lads
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #45: Nov 21, 2010 08:18:01 pm
      I was impressed with the performance but West Ham were so poor it was unbelievable.  I was disappointed that Roy seemed to settle for 3-0 as I thought we could have ended up with a 'plus' goal difference for the first time this season (?).

Was then further alarmed by Roy saying Carlton Cole is a good player.  Please no!!!!!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #46: Nov 21, 2010 08:26:03 pm
      Good first half but what happend 2nd half they where there for the taking and our goal diff is still  minus. He cant take credit for that win they were possibly the poorest side to come to Anfield for a few years Derby County springs to mind.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #47: Nov 21, 2010 09:27:10 pm
      I was going for 7-0 after that beautiful first half performance!

So Roy may have finally discovered that defending doesnt score goals!  :o

Nice to see the kind of team performance that beat Chelsea- we need to play like this every single game- nice to watch for once!  :)
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #48: Nov 21, 2010 09:30:53 pm
      It was a professional job tonight, we got the goals early and often in the first half. Second half we took it down a gear and get the 3 points and clean sheet. Also nice to see the likes of Kuyt and Maxi chip in with some goals, it is something we are going to need a bit more of throughout the rest of the season.
      scott_hutchy
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts |
      Reply #49: Nov 21, 2010 09:51:01 pm
      Great performance, I've said it once I'll say it again Miereles is due for a goal soon might back it in the weeks to come, Aurelio made an impact straight away, I really hope he keeps playing and is not plagued with injuries, something must be going on for Dani Pacheco to not get anytime on the pitch after being up 3-0 I really want to see him play 1st  team football.
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2010 09:54:27 pm by MsGerrard »
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #50: Nov 21, 2010 10:34:30 pm
      A good game.

I kept on blaming my inability to log on on my Internet Providers.
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #51: Nov 21, 2010 10:54:00 pm
      As many people will say. His name is dani and u dnt play for woy. we could have hammered the leauges whiping boys. slightly defensive in 2nd half.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #52: Nov 21, 2010 11:18:59 pm
      Surely it's time the forum be closed every weekend now??! West Ham were predictably dire but I was delighted with our incentive in the first half. I think West Ham only moved into our zone twice during the whole half so it was a very very good half.

Now Tottenham away. We've lost there the last two years...but I believe.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #53: Nov 21, 2010 11:19:37 pm

Completely agree.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #54: Nov 22, 2010 12:06:18 am
      Was over at the game yesterday, I think it was my 5th trip to Anfield over the last few seasons.

Got a seat in the Kop and have to say the whole ground was was deathly quiet at times. The only major noise came from the 10-15 people under the scoreboard starting off the singing, I was pretty apprehensive because it was me mate's first trip over and I'd built it up a lot. We got speaking to some of the locals and the sense of negativity was overwhelming, mostly the stick was directed at Hodgson but the players (who for the most part were excellent yesterday) couldn't do right for doing wrong. I'm not backing Hodgson or anything but the attitude of the crowd is clearly affecting the players, none of whom celebrated in front of the fans after the goals, coincidence or significance I'll let you all decide. The debate about fans voicing opinions at football matches is ongoing because England are in their current position and I suppose fans have the right to react as they like but COME ON!! If people are going to spend the money travelling to games, braving the cold weather etc. why not shout and roar encouragement at the lads we all came to see?? Our European nights are world renowned and there's no doubt in my mind teams go out there beaten before they start, definitely need to transfer some of that energy into our league games.

That being said: 3-0 win, controlling the game and some great performances aren't to be sniffed at:

- Torres seems to be upping his levels week by week, could scored right before Maxi did but the goals are on their way no doubt.
      - Raul Meireles was bossing it through the middle and got stuck in when Mark Noble wandered forward
      - Glen Johnson to be fair had no one up against him but he was great down the flank
      - Maxi and Dirk worked as hard as ever but I thought N'gog's movement was top drawer he absolutely tortured the West Ham backline and linked the midfield well.

Looking forward my preference would be to see Stevie G in there for Poulsen (who was decent yesterday too) and leave the line up 4-4-2.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #55: Nov 22, 2010 01:18:25 am
      Now I know why Kuyt pointed at the stands after he scored and then Gerrard stood up.

Stevie told him to kick the penalty centre, apparently.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #56: Nov 22, 2010 07:58:31 am
      I thought we played better, better ball retention, better passing, better movement etc. Meireles played well looks like the team is settling and starting to gel. I agree with the comments about Lucas I don’t see what he offers as a holding midfielder he is supposed to break up play most times I see him running next to players not really breaking anything up. Would prefer as said before the Gerrard Meireles and Cole midfield. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Nov 22, 2010 08:34:20 am
      I was at the game on Saturday (my first of the season) and i'm still a bit hoarse. I had me £25, matched on Betfair @ 14s, on three - nil so that help pay for my trip.

I know it's been said that " you can only beat what's in front of you" but that West Ham team was probably the worst i've seen. Truly awful.

I'm more than chuffed with with three points and well pleased with the score but (and i'm being honest here) my happiness is tainted by the thought of how bad the Hammers were, particularly in the first half. We had the freedom of Anfield and at times it was like a training exercise - they made Poulsen look like Beckenbauer FFS.  ;D

However anything that builds confidence can only be good. If we keep or feet on the ground and take this for what it was, we have something to build on. I've said it before and make no apology for saying it again - we don't have a bad squad. The lads play better when they're pressing in a higher line, that much we know. Let's hope "we" can learn from that, eh?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #58: Nov 22, 2010 08:49:42 am
      Same as mate. What about that thunderbolt he let go from all of thirty yards a la Beckenbauer (see previous post)? Was really unlucky not too score but the lad did put in a good shift and lets hope he can keep it up.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #59: Nov 22, 2010 09:29:54 am
      Just out of interest, where does the credit lie for this win?

Reading the posts for the last few days, the following seems to be the flow of opinion:

- When we win, the players get the credit
       - When we lose, Roy get's the stick

Both of those statements are unfair - it has to be a mix of the two, unless neither deserve credit because west ham gave us the 3 points...?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #60: Nov 22, 2010 09:53:21 am
      NB: This topic was created the day after the game.  Unfortunately the forum was offline for only the second match in just under 5 years.  By the way - we won both those games. ;)

ok, shut down the forums ;)

anyway well done lads, good home win and should boost confidence ahead of sperms.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #61: Nov 22, 2010 09:57:04 am

Reading the posts for the last few days, the following seems to be the flow of opinion:

Both of those statements are unfair - it has to be a mix of the two, unless neither deserve credit because west ham gave us the 3 points...?

Mmm, you got a point buddy.

In this instance both the player's and Roy's job was made easier by a pish-poor Hammers outfit.

In general; there's a, widely accepted, school of thought (backed by statistical evidence) that Roy sets his team out (away from home, in particular) to defend deep and hope for 'the breaks' - a bit like what 'smaller teams' used to do at Anfield.

I'm guessing here but maybe it's the Jekyll and Hyde nature, (inconsistency in approach, if you like), of Roy's tactics that leads him to bearing the brunt.

If we accept that Hodgson should get the plaudits for our five Premier League wins, for example, (including West Ham's 'gift') then we should also accept that he get's the stick for the nine games in which we either lost or drew (and portions of the five wins). I still firmly believe that the buck stops with the manager (re team performance); just as it did under other managers.

Logically then, having accepted you have a point, it's only fair that Roy gets, say, twice as much stick as praise. I can live with that carheex.  :nod:

Although that ratio doesn't include his many, many, media faux pas and snide little ways.  >:D
      « Last Edit: Nov 22, 2010 10:33:36 am by bad boy bubby »
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #62: Nov 22, 2010 11:47:02 am
      The thing that really annoys me is that myself, and many others start giving Roy/the team praise, especially after beating chelsea.......and then our result counts for nothing when they get stuffed by the likes of birmingham and sunderland!!!! Funny old game...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #63: Nov 22, 2010 01:08:03 pm

To be fair, we were playing the bottom of the table team at Anfield.

It was an expected result, and arguably criticism can be levelled at the players and manager for taking their foot of the gas in the second half and not putting us in to positive goal difference after 14 games.

Roy has ample opportunities against Spurs, Newcastle and Villa in the coming weeks to get some appreciation from us.

But I don't think many reds are in the mood to start fawning after a decent first half against relegation fodder.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #64: Nov 22, 2010 01:08:45 pm
      Great 3 points, always good to win. Actually didn't expect to looking at the starting 11. But West Ham were sooooooooo bad, difficult to say how relatively well we played.  Sure, can only beat whats put in front of you, but when that's a wet paper bag, can't read much into it. They missed Parker more than we missed SG.
      Spurs, on a high after the WE, will be a tougher test. Though they do have a CL match midweek, and they've been sluggish after them. We have a euro match too but expect we'll rest a few of the players that'll play Spurs (Arry might not be able to do that).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #65: Nov 22, 2010 01:17:59 pm
      One more point - no surprise to me that we looked a little bit more inventive without Gerrard.

I get the impression, and have for a while, that it's all far too easy for a player to pass to SG and expect something to happen.  A couple of halves of football aside he hasn't done a huge amount for us this season.

Without him in the side you get the impression other players can take on more responsibility, and play with a little bit more freedom.  I'm not saying we're better without him, just that the rest of the side play a little bit more like a 'team' and put more effort in.

Something to consider.  Look at the impact he made when he came on against Napoli when the opposition's legs were tiring and he was fresh.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #66: Nov 22, 2010 01:39:00 pm
      Raul ceratinly had a good game Saturday ;) and I thought Aurellio showed his class when he came on later too, general overall performance was quite impressive, we kept t'ball, passed well and just kept pressing even late on! a few more games like that and we will be right back in the mix!

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #67: Nov 22, 2010 01:52:12 pm
      One more point - no surprise to me that we looked a little bit more inventive without Gerrard.

I get the impression, and have for a while, that it's all far too easy for a player to pass to SG and expect something to happen.  A couple of halves of football aside he hasn't done a huge amount for us this season.

Without him in the side you get the impression other players can take on more responsibility, and play with a little bit more freedom.  I'm not saying we're better without him, just that the rest of the side play a little bit more like a 'team' and put more effort in.

Something to consider.  Look at the impact he made when he came on against Napoli when the opposition's legs were tiring and he was fresh.
      There is something in that alright ie. when SG isn't there, some of the others feel they need to knuckle down, moreso than usual.
      For me it'll manifest iteslf when the chips are down, when we need someone to pull something out of the bag. The lesser players can go missing, for example when 1 or 2 down. Eg. at Old Trafford SG nearly grabbed us a point, it's just that he's usually the guy to do the heroics. When we're in a hole we're looking for him or Torres to do something special.
      That said, I'd love to see some of the other guys like Meireles (who I think is improving but isn't a winger, needs to be in the middle) step up and show us they can do it under pressure too. And great opportunity with SG out to do that eg. in Raul's case to try and nail down a centre mid spot. I don't care who scores our goals :)
      Even with SG in the 11 the game at Spurs would be difficult. West Ham were truly brutal. Next weekend will be different but we're going into the game off the back of a good result (in PL).
      Just hope to God Roy trusts them to play and at least gives them a chance to show us what they can do. In away matches I'd be just as worried about Roys approach to the game as I would about the players we put out on the pitch.
      yehyehyehred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #68: Nov 22, 2010 02:32:05 pm
      Was there saturday for my first game since we got rid of the cancers,was in the upper centenary right above the scoreboard. I gotta say i was well impressed with Raul,i thought he was quality,he needs to play there every game. Great first half against a very poor West Ham,they are going down for sure.

From where we were sat we could see right into the studio. There was some bloke in there and he went through three large bags of prawn cocktail shells and a whole tin of quality street the fat f**ker!

Fair play to the West Ham fans as well,i thought they were great in the Arkles before the game and during it. Not after though i doubt.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #69: Nov 22, 2010 05:37:14 pm
      Fully agree with the general posting. A decent and most welcome 3 points, against very poor oposition. Will need to be much much better in the next few games. Should have given the old confidence a boost though. Keep it up lads. Oh and Roy........... You can still F**k off.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #70: Nov 23, 2010 12:17:15 am
      I only saw the last 60 minutes of the match.  Maybe if I'd seen the first 30 minutes, I'd be much happier with the result. West Ham - more like a Wet Sham - were awful, we were average. 

Miereles impressed, Konchesky had his best game in a red shirt but didn't impress.  The clean sheet was a bonus, but I was left underwhelmed by the performance, but as I say, maybe the first 30 minutes would have changed my mood/opinion.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,912 posts | 6834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #71: Nov 23, 2010 09:40:44 am
      I'll take the 3 points even if it was against a sh*t side.

Fantastic first half, pretty boring 2nd but we can only beat what's in front of us.

Can't believe we're only 9 points off the top, what a F***ing weird season.

Quick Reply