Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

UEFA charges Mourinho, Alonso, Dudek, Ramos and Casillas

Read 7798 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      UEFA charges Mourinho, Alonso, Dudek, Ramos and Casillas
      Nov 25, 2010 07:42:07 pm
      UEFA charges Mourinho and co

UEFA has charged Jose Mourinho with improper conduct following the controversial second yellow cards earned by Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos in Real Madrid's 4-0 victory at Ajax.

Alonso and Ramos - as well as goalkeepers Iker Casillas and Jerzy Dudek - have also been charged.

A statement read: "UEFA has confirmed that a disciplinary case has been opened against Real Madrid for the improper conduct of coach Jose Mourinho and players Xabi Alonso, Sergio Ramos, Iker Casillas and Jerzy Dudek during the UEFA Champions League Group G match against AFC Ajax in Amsterdam on Tuesday."

It has been suggested that, after the result was secure in Amsterdam, Alonso and Ramos deliberately sought second bookings by timewasting in order to serve their suspensions in the final group game - a dead rubber against Auxerre - and clear their slates for the knockout rounds. Pictures appear to show Mourinho passing on instructions to the duo via Dudek and Casillas.

UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body will consider the case on November 30.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=846227&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=3888
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2010 10:43:11 pm by JD, Reason: Title »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: UEFA charges Mourinho and co
      Reply #1: Nov 25, 2010 07:51:43 pm
      Posted the BBC story and link in the ECL Thread.

I hope they throw the book at him and Real, BUT have they done anything wrong.

The Game was Won.

No players were injured.

Unsporting? well one could argue possibly, but if Spurs were to get 2 players sent off at the week end I would not mind.

I do not think UEFA will win, Blatter is in their pocket.

Roll on the 30th November.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #2: Nov 25, 2010 08:04:15 pm
      Any recipient of a red card (even if it's via 2 yellows) is subject to a FIFA review panel and they can decide to extend the ban by an additional match for a number of reasons, one of which includes bringing the game into disrepute which covers conduct.  Time will tell.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3: Nov 25, 2010 09:33:53 pm
      I clearly remember Chelski players getting booked in similar circumstances and it was suggested that Mourinho had instructed them to do so.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,422 posts | 2836 
      Reply #4: Nov 25, 2010 10:04:26 pm
      UEFA invented these rules and Mourinho just got his lads to use the rules to their advantage. Don't see the problem really.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2010 10:09:36 pm
      It cost Real last year. Alonso missed out and Real got knocked out. It's within the rules but, much like Ferrari and team orders, my problem lies more within the arrogance of the execution rather than the crime itself.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2010 10:42:32 pm
      Cheating pair of shites.

Cheating manager.

Cheating club.

Disappointed to see Alonso and Dudek involved.

And people want that man as manager at Liverpool?

Ramos and Alonso get deliberate red cards in Real Madrid vs Ajax
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: UEFA charges Mourinho, Alonso, Dudek, Ramos and Casillas
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2010 10:53:40 pm
      Bloody hell, they could of at least tried to make it look un-intentional, kick the ball away or something.

That was so obvious it was cringey, 0 marks for the acting.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Nov 25, 2010 10:53:43 pm
      Very unsporting and very disappointed.....footbal l is so bloody corrupt these days.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: Nov 25, 2010 11:13:12 pm
      Very disappointing.

Thought Madrid was a "royal" club..playing peasent games they are with Mourinho.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Nov 25, 2010 11:21:48 pm
      The Alonso free kick was laughable. He might as well have moonwalked back from the ball. Lost a bit of respect for him there unfortunately. How far would they have gone to get sent off. Stretching by the advertising boards. Talking to fans before the free kick. Television interview mid game. Spice it up slightly ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,422 posts | 2836 
      Reply #11: Nov 25, 2010 11:38:17 pm
      Just for everyone saying 'it's disappointing' or whatever, Kuyt did this a few years ago I remember.

It's not even a big deal to be honest, if they want this to stop happening then they should make the system simpler. Any booking in any competition carries on to the next competition. Get 4 yellows in the league/CL then one more in the CL and let them have a ban in their domestic league. Makes life more simpler. But no let's just do individual competitions and then wipe the slate clean halfway through for no apparent reason.
      Dangerous Dave
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts |
      Reply #12: Nov 26, 2010 12:06:31 am
      Not in the spirit of the game, however would rather them get carded that way than by kicking someone deliberately. Surely they could have been more inventive though.

Can't really blame them I guess.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,357 posts | 8616 
      Reply #13: Nov 26, 2010 01:22:22 am
      Jose again showing why he is so special!

A pr**k of a man, make no mistake.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #14: Nov 26, 2010 01:45:12 am
      Some will say it was a smart thing to do, but seeing Xabi do that makes me sick.

Mourinho is a massive tw*t. I hope to God he never ever gets near the Liverpool job.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #15: Nov 26, 2010 01:45:33 am
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,357 posts | 8616 
      Reply #16: Nov 26, 2010 01:54:03 am
      Some will say it was a smart thing to do, but seeing Xabi do that makes me sick.

It's been done plenty of times in the past, but usually managers will instruct players in the changing room, but it's the blatant way they've gone about it and especially the way they were relaying messages from Jose.

I personally think UEFA have charged them for the way Madrid went about it.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #17: Nov 26, 2010 04:45:23 am
      I remember Inter Milan doing this a couple of seasons ago and guess who the manager was at the time?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Nov 26, 2010 06:53:24 am
      I cannot see UEFA winning this one seeing as Real won,now if they had thrown the match and got beat then that would be a different story.As other posters have pointed out it is the equivalent of bad sportsmanship or a professional foul and they should be punished for it.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #19: Nov 26, 2010 07:18:25 am
      I wouldn't like to see my team doin it . Mourinho is either a genius or a pr**k .

Nah , he's definetly a pr**k
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #20: Nov 26, 2010 07:20:06 am
      Shocking I really hope this sh*t don't happen in our games as it will be a bad day for football!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #21: Nov 26, 2010 07:56:59 am
      Tut
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Nov 26, 2010 09:42:02 am
      Meh.

We did the same thing, (In a less obvious way admittedly), a while back. I'm not going to feign disgust. It is what it is.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #23: Nov 26, 2010 09:51:37 am
      I think that they should delay the judgement until after the last game, that way the suspension would HAVE to be served in the knock out stage and also casillas, Dudek and Maureen should also be repremanded ! IT's plainly wrong but the problem is it's also permissable under the current rules !
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #24: Nov 26, 2010 09:54:57 am
      Doesn't bother me to be honest, would we complain if Torres and Gerrard done it ?

Would we F**k, we'd be overjoyed they had a clean slate for the next round, so for that reason I'm out. ;D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #25: Nov 26, 2010 10:17:27 am
      Can't believe Ramos even had the nerve to shake the ref's hand, ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #26: Nov 26, 2010 10:19:46 am
      To be honest, I wouldn't really want to see our players doing it.

No clean slate, so what? That's how it's meant to be, IMO.

Real Madrid declare surprise at UEFA

Real Madrid admit they are "surprised" by the announcement that UEFA have charged coach Jose Mourinho and four players.

UEFA have launched an investigation into whether Sergio Ramos and Xabi Alonso deliberately incurred red cards during Tuesday's Champions League match with Ajax.

Ramos and Alonso, together with Jerzy Dudek and Iker Casillas, are also under investigation for alleged improper conduct.

A statement from UEFA today said: "UEFA has confirmed that a disciplinary case has been opened against Real Madrid for the improper conduct of coach Jose Mourinho and players Xabi Alonso, Sergio Ramos, Iker Casillas and Jerzy Dudek during the UEFA Champions League Group G match against AFC Ajax in Amsterdam on Tuesday."

Madrid responded this evening with a statement which read: "Real Madrid expresses its surprise for such a decision, as it understands it does not follow the content of UEFA's Disciplinary Regulations."

Alonso and Ramos were both sent off late in the 4-0 win in Holland after receiving second yellow cards for time-wasting.

That means the two Spain internationals will be suspended for Madrid's final Group G match against Auxerre - which is a dead rubber for the already-qualified Spanish side - but could see their disciplinary records wiped clean ahead of the knockout stages.

There have been accusations that both cautions were deliberately incurred, with substitute goalkeeper Dudek apparently relaying a message - via Casillas - that Alonso and Ramos, having already been booked, should time-waste and seek second yellows so as to get any ban out of the way.

Alonso delayed taking a free-kick in his own half and Ramos delayed taking a goal-kick for Casillas.

The case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body on Tuesday, November 30.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/champions-league/news/detail/item537059/Real-Madrid-declare-surprise-at-UEFA/
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #27: Nov 26, 2010 11:04:50 am
      It's been happening for years, but this is the most blatant example I have ever seen.  That's Maureen for you.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #28: Nov 26, 2010 11:12:50 am
      Have to be honest, this had me in stitches laughing. Brilliant! Well....not brilliant as it is cheating but quite funny.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #29: Nov 26, 2010 11:40:32 am
      Tricky as hell, this!

It is cheating, at the end of the day deliberately breaking the rules in order to gain a future advantage is against the spirit of the game.

However, I don't believe it is written in the laws of the game that a player cannot intentionally try to receive a yellow card, which is why there is so much of a grey area.

I didn't like what I saw on the video, it was farcical, but I'm not going to say I'm outraged. Real will probably put out the reserves for the final group match, which isn't very sporting either since it may influence the final standings of the table, but nothing will be said about it.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #30: Nov 26, 2010 11:46:52 am
      F***ing stupid, it happens all the time.

Its not like the game was being affect, already 4-0, and its not like they were going in for tackles likely to injury.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #31: Nov 26, 2010 12:53:22 pm
      Tricky as hell, this!

It is cheating, at the end of the day deliberately breaking the rules in order to gain a future advantage is against the spirit of the game.

However, I don't believe it is written in the laws of the game that a player cannot intentionally try to receive a yellow card, which is why there is so much of a grey area.

I didn't like what I saw on the video, it was farcical, but I'm not going to say I'm outraged. Real will probably put out the reserves for the final group match, which isn't very sporting either since it may influence the final standings of the table, but nothing will be said about it.
      Don't think it can be taken as cheating Ayrton as the penalty for the second bookings is a red card and as such results in a sending off which is the designated punishment ! its unsporting to say the least and the rules need changing to avoid it being repeated why should the slates be wipe cleaned after the League stage anyway ?
      Its exploitation of the rules and needs stamping out A.S.A.P. !
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      Reply #32: Nov 26, 2010 04:41:02 pm
      Watch those two videos, Guilty as Sin. Send them down.

But Guilty of what? Manipulating the rules? Well Ronaldo did that week in week out with his diving.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #33: Nov 26, 2010 05:54:57 pm
      What makes it more laughable is that Ramos shook the ref's hand and then started smirking when he saw the coaches and that on the bench- at least try and hide it a bit better!

I know it's unsporting but if there's no rule against it, then I suppose it's just using the current rules to your advantage.

P.S any future footballers who are going to do this: dont do an Alonso or Ramos, working on the acting skills! ;)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #34: Nov 26, 2010 07:42:43 pm
      Don't see the problem to be honest, they are using the rules to their advantage, no more or less than we should be doing.  Why should we criticise someone for being clever?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #35: Nov 26, 2010 07:51:38 pm
      Nothing wrong here.

Simply finding a loophole and using it to their advantage.

The players in any case will serve their ban, so it's not like they're trying to circumvent that, is it?
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #36: Nov 26, 2010 09:22:38 pm
      UEFA is sh*t.. They put up stupid rules and then when managers exploit the loopholes. They wanna put up a clean face and impose fine and punishment.. Either change the rules or go along with the tactics used by managers...
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #37: Nov 27, 2010 01:28:29 pm
      Don't think it's that big a deal. It's just bizarre how obvious they made it.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #38: Nov 27, 2010 04:12:48 pm
      For me, it's being aware of the situation and is clever by Mourinho, of course it's not what you want to see but at least they got the yellows by wasting time and not be risking injuries to the Ajax players, it was also nice to see Suarez on the other end of cheating for once. :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Nov 27, 2010 10:00:34 pm
      How I laughed at that bit. . . Look Suarez somebody is cheating. . . Quick tell the ref. . . You little smug handballing arse
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #40: Nov 28, 2010 02:12:53 am
      This is the chance for UEFA to cut it though. It may happen, but this is a clear case of it happening and authorities have the chance to make an example of clubs and players manipulating the rules.

That's how i see it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      Reply #41: Nov 30, 2010 10:47:04 pm

Uefa bans Real coach Jose Mourinho for improper conduct
      Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has been fined by Uefa and banned for two Champions League matches, the second of which is suspended for three years.

Along with Real players Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos, Mourinho was found guilty of improper conduct relating to the pair's recent dismissals against Ajax.

Alonso and Ramos were also fined by European football's governing body.

Real had expressed "surprise" that Uefa investigated claims Alonso and Ramos deliberately incurred the red cards.

Mourinho - who had denied the allegations - was fined £33,500 for appearing to instruct Alonso and Ramos to attempt to receive strategic second yellow cards in last week's 4-0 win at Ajax.

They were both sent from the field for time-wasting, meaning they would be banned from group G winners Real's next match against Auxerre - which is effectively meaningless - but then be free to start the Champions League last 16 knockout round without suspension.

Alonso and Ramos were fined £16,700 for their part in the incident, while goalkeeper Iker Casillas and his reserve Jerzy Dudek were also hit financially after being captured on television apparently passing messages to them from the dugout.

Portuguese coach Mourinho will only be suspended for the second match if he is again found guilty of improper conduct in the next three years.

An appeal may be lodged against the full ruling within three days.

When Mourinho coached Chelsea, Uefa banned him from the touchline for two matches in 2005 after he accused Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard of visiting Swedish referee Anders Frisk at half time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9244634.stm

Have UEFA found some Balls, or is it an empty punishment as Madrid have already qualified? I think the later.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #42: Nov 30, 2010 10:55:20 pm
      Meaningless gesture that will change nothing
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #43: Dec 01, 2010 06:09:49 am
      Crap punishment.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #44: Dec 01, 2010 11:14:44 am
      How can you punish players (who are already recieving a ban !) who are doing as instructed to by their boss !  its a chain of command thing Punish the Instigator not the players asecond time, either change the rule or double the penalty with the coach been banned from the stadium whilst the match is in progress !

Quick Reply