Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

World Cup 2018 [Russia] & 2022 [Qatar] bids

Read 12403 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: World Cup 2018 [Russia] & 2022 [Qatar] bids
      Reply #115: Dec 02, 2010 09:07:05 pm
      So anyone with a stable economy and good infrastructure need not apply?.
      In all honesty when you call the voting comitte crooked a few days before the vote its not surprising they tell you to f**k off.Thanks BBC nice one.Qatar in the Summer nice 40'c.
      If FIFA are bent they should be exposed, good on the BBC, and F**k FIFA, it's there loss
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #116: Dec 02, 2010 09:50:23 pm
      Qatar is a F***ing sh*te idea. F**k all the money they throw at the thing, its all a bunch of rich cu*ts wanting a little plaything and FIFA being the corrupt F***ing cu*ts they are gobbled it up. I'm absolutely F***ing incensed at this. Hell, i would have been pissed if the US got it being they already had, but i would not have been as disappointed as this, US at least makes sense as far as growing fan-base goes. F***ing sh*t-stained c**t arses FIFA, any small amount of respect i had (don't think there was any) is now 100% gone. Congratulations you bunch of corrupt F***ing suits, you have royally fu**ed yourself.

Little piece from Wiki. I mean the country has a tiny population, mostly rich fuckers from other countries. How many hardcore sports fans, let alone football fans, would be there? F**k that. This is all political and financial, and it F***ing makes me sick :mad:

Quote from: Wikipedia
      Besides ethnic Arabs, much of the population is made up of expatriates taking up employment in various sectors of the Qatari economy. Arabic serves as the official language. However, English as well as many other languages like Hindi,Tamil, Pashto, Malayalam, Punjabi, Urdu, Sindhi, Balochi,Telugu, Bengali, Tagalog, and Persian are widely spoken in Qatar.
      Expatriates form the majority of Qatar’s residents - nearly three-fourth of the population.[26]. The petrochemical industry has attracted people from all around the world. Most of the expatriates come from South Asia (mainly India and to a lesser extent, Pakistan), and from non-oil-rich Arab states. Because a large percentage of the expatriates are male, Qatar has a heavily skewed sex ratio, with 3.46 males per female.[27]
      In April 2001, the country had a growing population of approximately 907,229 people,[9] of whom approximately 350,000 were believed to be citizens.[28].
      The majority of the estimated 550,000 non-citizens are individuals from South and South East Asian and Arab countries working on temporary employment contracts in most cases without their accompanying family members. Most foreign workers and their families live near the major employment centers of Doha, Al Khor, Mesaieed, and Dukhan.

Note: Population estimated at 1.3m now, still F***ing tiny though.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #117: Dec 02, 2010 10:00:43 pm
      At least after the 2022 World Cup, Qatar will have some cracking stadiums to stone women in.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #118: Dec 02, 2010 10:02:02 pm
      Anyone wanting to come to Brazil for the WC 2014 let me know, I live just 10 min away from the Maracanã ;) My home is cheaper than a hotel, especially if you're a Swedish lady.

I'm there! I'll put on a blonde wig if you want too ;)

Seriously gonna try and plan to head to Brazil for that though. If i'm gonna attend a Cup before im 40 as i want to, Brazil it is. Russia unlikely, and i aint going F***ing near Qatar.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #119: Dec 02, 2010 10:55:15 pm
      I'm there! I'll put on a blonde wig if you want too ;)

Seriously gonna try and plan to head to Brazil for that though. If I'm gonna attend a Cup before im 40 as I want to, Brazil it is. Russia unlikely, and I aint going f**king near Qatar.

:D You're all invited :P

And I was thinking the same Dave, I can't see me going to either Russia or Qatar, thankfully the next WC is gonna be in my country but I'd also love to travel to another country during a World Cup.

It's the perfect turism isn't it. You meet people from all over the world, party hard, and obviously, watch football!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #120: Dec 02, 2010 11:34:10 pm
      At least after the 2022 World Cup, Qatar will have some cracking stadiums to stone women in.

Was thinking the same thing! I honestly think after the World Cup those stadiums will turn in to stages for huge orgies and old school gladiator matches.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #121: Dec 02, 2010 11:37:03 pm

Andrew you are a NARROW MINDED DICKHEAD for that comment.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #122: Dec 02, 2010 11:37:33 pm
      Was thinking the same thing! I honestly think after the World Cup those stadiums will turn in to stages for huge orgies and old school gladiator matches.

Nope.

They're knocking them all down straight after the World Cup, then giving the parts to third-world countries.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #123: Dec 03, 2010 12:02:47 am
      Andrew you are a NARROW MINDED DICKHEAD for that comment.

Calm down shabs mate, may have been a bit naive but aint worth getting yourself banned over. Wasn't directed at you, so just take a breath and leave it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #124: Dec 03, 2010 12:25:48 am
      Calm down shabs mate, may have been a bit naive but aint worth getting yourself banned over. Wasn't directed at you, so just take a breath and leave it.

It was out of order that comment and no need for it,wonder what his views would have been if we sold to a arab owner,would he think anfield would be used for public executions.

Yeah we are pissed for not getting the world cup but to knock a young nation that has plenty to offer & who spend thier billions in our econmies is just wrong.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #125: Dec 03, 2010 12:36:28 am
      It was out of order that comment and no need for it,wonder what his views would have been if we sold to a arab owner,would he think anfield would be used for public executions.

Yeah we are pissed for not getting the world cup but to knock a young nation that has plenty to offer & who spend thier billions in our econmies is just wrong.

It was out of order, yes - but calling someone a dickhead is also out of order (ive done it myself, i know what its like getting wound up!) so im just saying, don't get yourself banned over someone elses naivity :)

Im pissed that Australia, a nation thats proven it can handle big events (Sydney Olympics was huge, as well the Rugby World Cup, among other things) got passed over by this pissy little nation. World Cup would be bigger than both, yeah, but we still have shown we can put on a show. Say what you want about what they have to offer, they will never be a nation known for sports, nor have they done anything thus far to prove they deserve a chance to change that. They should at least have to qualify for the World Cup on their own before having a shot, hell i would be kinda embarrassed if Australia hosted it without even being involved before.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #126: Dec 03, 2010 12:49:41 am
      I dont think the USA won the WC when they hosted it did they?So I dont see different in qatar.Qatar is a young nation and it may suprise us.

Also with all the negativity in that part of the world maybe football could be the answer for peace and the middle east does deserve to host the WC.

I would love too see the aussies and chinese given a shot at it after the qatari world cup.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #127: Dec 03, 2010 12:57:17 am
      Middle east has done nothing IMO to deserve the World Cup. And i can't see football being the answer for peace - highly doubt extremists will give up just because the World Cup is on down the road.

The US had been to 4 world cups, including the first one, before they hosted it.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #128: Dec 03, 2010 01:04:03 am
      Gutted England didn't get it. And would have rather had Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium (although that was never going to happen) over Russia. :(

And Qatar? Seriously? Dosen't it sometimes go to about 40 degrees over there? And apparently no alcohol, gay and lesbian people are also not allowed in the country and what would happen if Isreal were to qualify?

Great choices indeed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #129: Dec 03, 2010 01:08:01 am
      Qatar will have state of the art air conditioning systems. . . Odd that. The M K Dons would have needed to take the roof off for the English bid, yet here is a bid that seems to require sealed stadia
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #130: Dec 03, 2010 01:09:45 am
      Gutted England didn't get it. And would have rather had Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium (although that was never going to happen) over Russia. :(

And Qatar? Seriously? Dosen't it sometimes go to about 40 degrees over there? And apparently no alcohol, gay and lesbian people are also not allowed in the country and what would happen if Isreal were to qualify?

Great choices indeed.

Aint found anything on the gay and lesbian bit yet, but heres some info on Alcohol:

The country has undergone a period of liberalization and modernisation during the reign of the current Emir, Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, who came to power in 1995. The laws of Qatar tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. However, the few bars and nightclubs in Qatar operate only in expensive hotels and clubs, with Qatar Distribution Company[33] the only importer and retailer for alcohol in Qatar. Under Qatar's Sharia, it is illegal to show alcohol or be drunk in public.

Illegal to be drunk in public? F**k me is there gonna be a lot of football fans with criminal records after this one!
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #131: Dec 03, 2010 01:11:26 am
      Apparently all matches in Qatar will be held within indoor stadiums (Air conditioned as said above)

That should be interesting.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #132: Dec 03, 2010 01:12:56 am
      thankfully the next WC is gonna be in my country but I'd also love to travel to another country during a World Cup.

You'd have loved listening to the beaut from World Soccer monthly magazine on our Sky Sports News who was crazily claiming Brazil might struggle with hosting the world cup, saying they're gonna struggle to get the infrastructure in place and they're struggling to get one of the major airports built and then said Fifa might look at putting England or the US on standby just in case.

Some funny stuff and pure clutching at straws!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #133: Dec 03, 2010 01:16:29 am
      Apparently all matches in Qatar will be held within indoor stadiums (Air conditioned as said above)

That should be interesting.

Thats bullshit as well. F***ing indoor stadiums, much prefer old-fashioned weather myself! Froze my arse off at the college football here last Friday, standing in the rain - but thats what its all about! Wouldn't have it any other way. Indoor stadiums?! This keeps getting worse.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #134: Dec 03, 2010 01:19:05 am
      Illegal to be drunk in public? F**k me is there gonna be a lot of football fans with criminal records after this one!

Wouldn't worry, Budweiser will be a major sponsor, they'll sort something so fans will able to drink at festival fan sites.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #135: Dec 03, 2010 01:21:10 am
      Aint found anything on the gay and lesbian bit yet, but heres some info on Alcohol:

The country has undergone a period of liberalization and modernisation during the reign of the current Emir, Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, who came to power in 1995. The laws of Qatar tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. However, the few bars and nightclubs in Qatar operate only in expensive hotels and clubs, with Qatar Distribution Company[33] the only importer and retailer for alcohol in Qatar. Under Qatar's Sharia, it is illegal to show alcohol or be drunk in public.

That's what I was told, and after a quick google search I found this;

FIFA'S choice of Qatar for the 2022 World Cup will undoubtedly expand soccer's reach - but is it a smart choice for the fans? Here's news.com.au's quick cheat sheet on Qatar.

- The small Arab state will be the first Middle Eastern World Cup host. Qatar's slick bid appealed for Fifa to take "a bold gamble" and bring the World Cup to a region that is beginning to emerge as world player in global sport.

- Qatar has never qualified for a World Cup finals, has few stadiums and has little footballing glory to its name. Some wag edited the national side's Wikipedia page to say: "2006 Did Not Qualify; 2010 Did Not Qualify; 2014 Will Not Qualify; 2018 Will Not Qualify; 2022 Qualified." Needlessly to say this was quickly changed.

- Qatar's bid chief executive, Hassan al-Thawadi, says that "heat is not and will not be an issue" but many beg to differ. The Qataris say they have developed carbon cooling systems to keep down temperatures in stadiums but Fifa's technical report on the bid said that there was a "potential health risk" because of the heat, which reaches up to 47C during summer.

- Qatar's size is just 4416 square miles, about a fifth of the size of Tasmania, so traveling between games won't be a problem. The population is 1.7 million.

- Qatar's victory will be seen as a personal triumph for Mohammed Bin Hammam, Fifa executive member and president of the Asia Football Confederation. He is the favourite to succeed Fifa chief Sepp Blatter.

- The Qatar bid was also embroiled in allegations of collusion after reports that it had entered an illicit vote-swapping pact with the Spanish-Portuguese bid, which this morning was beaten by Russia for the right to host the 2018 World Cup.

Here's what DFAT says about travelling to Qatar:

- We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Qatar because of the threat of terrorist attack against Western interests. Terrorists have demonstrated the intent and capability to conduct attacks throughout the Arabian Peninsula at places frequented by Westerners, such as commercial and public areas. Further attacks may be planned and could occur in Qatar.

- Homosexual acts are illegal. Penalties include lengthy jail sentence, corporal punishment and/or deportation.

- Penalties for drug offences include long prison sentences.

- Drinking alcohol outside licensed premises are illegal. Penalties include detention, substantial fine, prison sentence and deportation.

- The penalty for drunkenness and defamation may include corporal punishment if the offenders are Muslims.

- Taking photographs of local people, particularly women, without permission and where there has been no previous contact, is illegal and can lead to arrest or fines.

- Men and women should dress modestly with clothing covering the shoulders and knees.

- Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Qatar.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #136: Dec 03, 2010 01:25:23 am
      FIFA'S choice of Qatar for the 2022 World Cup will undoubtedly expand soccer's reach - but is it a smart choice for the fans? Here's news.com.au's quick cheat sheet on Qatar.

- The small Arab state will be the first Middle Eastern World Cup host. Qatar's slick bid appealed for Fifa to take "a bold gamble" and bring the World Cup to a region that is beginning to emerge as world player in global sport.

- Qatar has never qualified for a World Cup finals, has few stadiums and has little footballing glory to its name. Some wag edited the national side's Wikipedia page to say: "2006 Did Not Qualify; 2010 Did Not Qualify; 2014 Will Not Qualify; 2018 Will Not Qualify; 2022 Qualified." Needlessly to say this was quickly changed.

- Qatar's bid chief executive, Hassan al-Thawadi, says that "heat is not and will not be an issue" but many beg to differ. The Qataris say they have developed carbon cooling systems to keep down temperatures in stadiums but Fifa's technical report on the bid said that there was a "potential health risk" because of the heat, which reaches up to 47C during summer.

- Qatar's size is just 4416 square miles, about a fifth of the size of Tasmania, so traveling between games won't be a problem. The population is 1.7 million.

- Qatar's victory will be seen as a personal triumph for Mohammed Bin Hammam, Fifa executive member and president of the Asia Football Confederation. He is the favourite to succeed Fifa chief Sepp Blatter.

- The Qatar bid was also embroiled in allegations of collusion after reports that it had entered an illicit vote-swapping pact with the Spanish-Portuguese bid, which this morning was beaten by Russia for the right to host the 2018 World Cup.

Here's what DFAT says about travelling to Qatar:

- We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Qatar because of the threat of terrorist attack against Western interests. Terrorists have demonstrated the intent and capability to conduct attacks throughout the Arabian Peninsula at places frequented by Westerners, such as commercial and public areas. Further attacks may be planned and could occur in Qatar.

- Homosexual acts are illegal. Penalties include lengthy jail sentence, corporal punishment and/or deportation.

- Penalties for drug offences include long prison sentences.

- Drinking alcohol outside licensed premises are illegal. Penalties include detention, substantial fine, prison sentence and deportation.

- The penalty for drunkenness and defamation may include corporal punishment if the offenders are Muslims.

- Taking photographs of local people, particularly women, without permission and where there has been no previous contact, is illegal and can lead to arrest or fines.

- Men and women should dress modestly with clothing covering the shoulders and knees.

- Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Qatar.

The Brazilian female fans are fu**ed then!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #137: Dec 03, 2010 01:27:29 am
      Wouldn't worry, Budweiser will be a major sponsor, they'll sort something so fans will able to drink at festival fan sites.

Maybe, but can you see fans sticking to fan sites when they are pissed? Not likely! :D

Nice article there to Pep, also interesting that Australia don't even have an embassy or consulate there.

Also love hoe FIFA's report apparently stated a "health risk" - but they gave it to them anyways. This is an absolute joke!

Quick Reply