Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Gary Cahill (Bolton)

Read 61380 times
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Re: Gary Cahill (Bolton)
      Reply #644: Sep 04, 2011 11:35:06 pm
      It would be good but I don't whether you've seen Wisdom, but he really could be a great centre back.
      Oh and Coates of course.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #645: Sep 04, 2011 11:36:13 pm
      Have not seen anything of him except for I think it was the Hull friendly?  Maybe he and Coates (and Kelly) will come good as CBs.  Cahill would be a great 3rd choice until they are ready, but I don't think he'll come to sit on our bench when he could be playing regularly for Chelsea next year or two.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #646: Sep 04, 2011 11:44:57 pm
      I don't really want Cahill, prefer Kelly at RB, but with Coates, Wisdom and Wilson coming up, and Carra for this season, Agger, Coates and Skrtel will complete for CB spots, and Wisdom/Wilson competing for fourth spot, this is bearing in mind Agger's injurys.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #647: Sep 05, 2011 02:20:03 am
      I agree with TKIDLLTK

Skrtl is a better player.

No surprise to see the usual suspects wanting Cahill, when he's a comparative bag of sh*te.

Then again, these are the same people who are convinced "Engerland" are going to win :roll:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #648: Sep 05, 2011 02:32:10 am
      I'm actually happy with our CBs at the moment - Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Coates and Wilson.

Cahill would be a good option, though, when Carra retires haha.

The one mistake I remember Agger made was against Wigan in 2008/2009! But he redeemed himself a few minutes later with a 70 yard run. :laugh:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #649: Sep 05, 2011 04:36:13 am
      Why is Skrtel awesome then? Why haven't Barca been wanting him if he's that good?

F**k me that is one of the most embarassing things I've ever read on the internet.  :roll: :roll: :roll:
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #650: Sep 05, 2011 10:23:19 am
      F**k me that is one of the most embarassing things I've ever read on the internet.  :roll: :roll: :roll:
      I was taking the piss, some people don't get sarcasm over the internet.
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2011 10:29:02 am by thereds13 »
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #651: Sep 05, 2011 10:27:58 am
      I was taking the piss, some people don't get sarcasm over the internet.

That is what emoticons are for ;) :P
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #652: Sep 05, 2011 12:36:42 pm

Coyle - Cahill bids way off
      Bolton reveals that offers were not even close to valuation

By Graeme Bailey
      Last Updated: September 5, 2011 11:21am

Bolton Wanderers boss Owen Coyle says that none of the bids made for Gary Cahill were anywhere near their valuation of the player.

Both Arsenal and Tottenham made late bids for the England defender, but Bolton stood firm.

Reports suggest that Bolton wanted £17million for Cahill, who is out-of-contract next summer.

Now Coyle has revealed that no club put a bid in that reached double figures.

It is believed Arsenal and Tottenham's bids were heavily intensified with add-ons, that would have been based on league finishes.

However, Coyle insists Bolton are not interested in what they might earn, and that they only wanted a set fee.

"As much as some clubs are looking at Gary, nobody got close to that figure [we wanted] and what was offered was not even considered," Coyle told Sky Sports News.

"As far as I am led to believe, there were no offers - in terms of written ones, which reached double figures, which is a million miles away from what Gary can be [valued at].

"We can talk about add-ons, but it is what is guaranteed, not about conjecture - you get this and that if this happens, but that might never happen.

"The bottom line is you put down a fee, and then you may get add-ons from that point then that is different, but in terms of what was concrete it was nowhere near."

Coyle maintains he had no desire to stand in Cahill's way.

"I understand Gary's postion that he wants to play for an elite club, and I think any player should aspire to play at the top level," said the manager.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11670_7151965,00.html
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #653: Sep 05, 2011 02:16:19 pm
      17 million, F**k that I'd take Coates for 7 million any day.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #654: Sep 05, 2011 02:27:48 pm

The fact that 5 out of the 6 top teams were after a central defender this summer, and none of them has made a bid over £10 million for Cahill, speaks volumes ...
      moh21
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #655: Sep 05, 2011 03:50:14 pm
      cahill is the best english centre back
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #656: Sep 05, 2011 03:52:26 pm
      The fact that 5 out of the 6 top teams were after a central defender this summer, and none of them has made a bid over £10 million for Cahill, speaks volumes ...

Certainly does. Owen Coyle has talked him up, as has every pundit who falls for Coyle's crap.

Used to like Owen Coyle until he ditched Burnley for Bolton. The way he couldn't give us any praise after we wiped the floor with them. Basically said "well yeah Liverpool were good... but we didn't turn up" As if it would've made a difference you tool. We're 10 times better than you and we made you look so poor.

Not a coincedence that he's never beaten us, and that Bolton have beaten us twice in about 25 games i think.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #657: Sep 05, 2011 03:55:01 pm
      cahill is the best english centre back

Damning with faint praise?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #658: Sep 06, 2011 10:47:26 am
      Cahill is a good player and would most likely improve in a better squad of players as the majority of players do from mid table clubs when they are playing alongside much better players, I'd be happy for us to move in for him in January or next Summer, Carra is not getting any younger and that would leave us Skrtel Agger and Coates as senior CB's, I'm far from convinced with Wilson, I don't think he's ready to slot straight in at CB and Wisdom for all he's a beast of a player at reserve level its a big step up in the premier League, If we do make the Champions league places this season then we are going to need quality in depth to make a serious impact on both the league and Europe so it would be a no brainer for me.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #659: Sep 06, 2011 11:55:51 am
      Cahill is a good player and would most likely improve in a better squad of players as the majority of players do from mid table clubs when they are playing alongside much better players, I'd be happy for us to move in for him in January or next Summer, Carra is not getting any younger and that would leave us Skrtel Agger and Coates as senior CB's, I'm far from convinced with Wilson, I don't think he's ready to slot straight in at CB and Wisdom for all he's a beast of a player at reserve level its a big step up in the premier League, If we do make the Champions league places this season then we are going to need quality in depth to make a serious impact on both the league and Europe so it would be a no brainer for me.

Agree entirely, but will he be happy to come to Anfield to be 3rd or 4th choice?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #660: Sep 06, 2011 12:28:15 pm
      Agree entirely, but will he be happy to come to Anfield to be 3rd or 4th choice?

If he has ambition to play in the Champions League mate he will face that Dilemma at which ever club he goes too, all the top 4 sides excluding Arsenal from that as I believe we will take their place all have healthy competion for CB's and their Two first choice central defenders at the moment pretty much pick themselves so the gauntlet would be thrown to Cahill to dislodge them for who ever he signs for.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #661: Sep 06, 2011 01:52:03 pm

Good post mate. I still believe Cahill would walk into our first team, but we will need to strengthen anyway and for me he is the best of the "ready made and available" CB's around
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #662: Sep 06, 2011 01:53:47 pm
      Thought Cahill had quite a good game against us.  

Agree with S@int's comments about being the most 'ready made'.  

Not going to get a look in at Anfield though now.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #663: Sep 06, 2011 01:56:27 pm
      Good post mate. I still believe Cahill would walk into our first team, but we will need to strengthen anyway and for me he is the best of the "ready made and available" CB's around

You only have to look at Adam, Downing and Enrique mate, its easy to turn your nose up at players in teams in an around midtable obscurity, but on so fars showing all three look like they were made to play for a big club.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #664: Sep 06, 2011 02:53:31 pm
      You only have to look at Adam, Downing and Enrique mate, its easy to turn your nose up at players in teams in an around midtable obscurity, but on so fars showing all three look like they were made to play for a big club.

And I remember there being very mixed reactions for every single player you mentioned there.

All those players have came in from poor to average sides and have all played very well for us so far. Not put a foot wrong. I've been particularly impressed with Adam most of all. 2 assists and 1 goal in 3 games.

I do think players get rougher treatment from fans when they play for lower league sides, especially when there lower premier league clubs and, or British for some reason.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #665: Sep 06, 2011 04:37:18 pm

Absolutely sums it up for me. I'm a big advocate of Carra, but he surely has 18 months at the most left as a first choice centre half, possibly less. Coates may be great, but by the same token he could be rubbish in the Premiership. Most likely I think is that he has bags of potential but will need a fair while to get himself up to speed with life in a different hemisphere. I'd take Cahill all day long, and I'm surprised some people are seemingly anti such an obviously good player.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #666: Sep 06, 2011 05:07:08 pm
      Not anti other position are more priority.with that we have Carragher agger skrtel with with coates Kelly Wilson and wisdom looking like they will have big futures as well

Quick Reply