Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Sylvain Marveaux (Stade Rennais)

Read 60254 times
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Re: Sylvain Marveaux (Stade Rennais)
      Reply #46: Dec 30, 2010 04:41:36 pm
      Jovanovic was never a left sided midfielder, Maxi same, and arguably Cole the same.

Marveaux is an out and out left sided player. He has great self-believe, he's still young, will improve, an awesome left boot, can put a cross in and is a free kick taker. Even chips in with some goals because of his great left peg.

We were never going to go out and buy the Hazard's, Dzeko's and Turan's in January. The business is never right. This deal still leaves room to get more help, but this is a fine piece of business.

I'm fully behind this and Sylvain. I hope it's official shortly.

Great post and agree fully. We don't have any proper wingers, adding this lad will only improve us and i firmly believe that.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #47: Dec 30, 2010 06:26:00 pm
      Sounds like the sort of player we would be signing under H+G. For all the stuff of signing young players and all that PR nonsense, we need a lot more £1.5M signings. 

You may not think he is high risk, but it is high risk to rely on a cheap player to improve the team.

quality is what we need not numbers.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #48: Dec 30, 2010 06:35:49 pm
      Sounds like the sort of player we would be signing under H+G. For all the stuff of signing young players and all that PR nonsense, we need a lot more £1.5M signings. 

You may not think he is high risk, but it is high risk to rely on a cheap player to improve
      the team.

Give him a chance. Just because he cost 1.5 million doesn't mean he's sh*t. He's a quality winger. I get angry when ppl look at the price tag and say oh that's cheap, he must be sh*t.

Man u, Chelsea were after him in the summer. He rejected because he wanted to stay at his current club.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #49: Dec 30, 2010 06:46:53 pm
      Jovanovic was never a left sided midfielder, Maxi same, and arguably Cole the same.

Marveaux is an out and out left sided player. He has great self-believe, he's still young, will improve, an awesome left boot, can put a cross in and is a free kick taker. Even chips in with some goals because of his great left peg.

We were never going to go out and buy the Hazard's, Dzeko's and Turan's in January. The business is never right. This deal still leaves room to get more help, but this is a fine piece of business.

I'm fully behind this and Sylvain. I hope it's official shortly.

I never once said that I was against signing him.  While I do think he could end up being a decent bargain for 1.5 million, I don't think that he is ever going to become a great player.  I could be wrong, but he's already 24 and has only had one good season in Ligue 1.  He doesn't ooze class like other wingers, and comparisons with Malouda are way off the mark.  Malouda was setting Ligue 1 on fire before he transferred to Chelsea.  This guy seems to be one who has flown under the radar for most of his career. 

In all honesty, I see him being comparable to Riera.  A decent player who will give us more depth on the left flank, but nothing to get too excited about.  The thing that worries me about signing him is that I'm afraid if we sign more average players, we will have a hard time freeing up space for new exciting arrivals in the summer..... we need to aim higher, and we need to start now!

And as far as Jova not being a left sided midfielder, here is a quote from Jova at the beginning of the season where he states that his preferred position is on the left of midfield: 

"What is your best position?

Left midfield, that's the position I prefer to play."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/milan-on-torres-titles-and-roy 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #50: Dec 30, 2010 06:56:02 pm
      Give him a chance. Just because he cost 1.5 million doesn't mean he's sh*t. He's a quality winger. I get angry when ppl look at the price tag and say oh that's cheap, he must be sh*t.

Man u, Chelsea were after him in the summer. He rejected because he wanted to stay at his current club.

Its not that at all, but it just makes me wonder is the reason we are signing him because he will add to the squad, or is it because he is £1.5M?

Maybe a bit of both but more so the latter IMO.

Wish him well if he and when he arrives, but the flanks are IMO to important to just be taking a punt on unproven players. 
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #51: Dec 30, 2010 07:00:06 pm

You may not think he is high risk, but it is high risk to rely on a cheap player to improve the team.

He was out of a contract in the summer. It's a knock down price. The lad has the potential to be a first teamer here. Without question. He's not going to be the answer to all of our problems, but he can definitely play a part. No one has to be extremely excited, but I'm encouraged. He's got talent, age and attitude all on his side. How can you call him unproven? He has proven all he needs to where he is at now, and he's ready for the jump up.

As for Malouda, he was hardly setting the league on fire. He had 10 league goals his last season there, very similar to Marveaux with the exception that Malouda was playing in a very good team.

I'm not saying that Marveaux will become Malouda, but he surely has the talent to improve and stay at LFC for a long time.

Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #52: Dec 30, 2010 07:06:56 pm
      Well well, know nothing about him but might be a good signing for all i know...
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #53: Dec 30, 2010 07:09:40 pm
      My friend is a Rennes fan and he thinks he is their best player.

He is out of contract in July hence the cheap value.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #54: Dec 30, 2010 07:31:13 pm
      I think far too many people equate price to quality. It's great signings players who are 20m or 25m but it doesn't always work out, not every player is going to come to the PL and set it alight like Torres, it's just not happening. The lad might be good but playing in a rubbish team, you never know or he might go along and be rubbish but at least we won't be wasting millions on him like other clubs have done in the past.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #55: Dec 30, 2010 08:00:57 pm
      I think far too many people equate price to quality. It's great signings players who are 20m or 25m but it doesn't always work out, not every player is going to come to the PL and set it alight like Torres, it's just not happening. The lad might be good but playing in a rubbish team, you never know or he might go along and be rubbish but at least we won't be wasting millions on him like other clubs have done in the past.

I don't think that people are concerned that he is only commanding a 1.5 million transfer fee.  In fact, I think that is the only reason that many people are accepting of this transfer. 

I think most people's concerns (mine included) is that he is already 24 years old and has only managed one really good season.  He has managed to make himself a regular starter for Rennes, but I don't think he will go on to be anything special for us.  I honestly doubt that he will be an improvement on the wide options we currently have in Jova, Cole, Maxi, and Babel. 

If he comes here, I hope he proves me wrong and sets the league on fire.  I hope we sing his name and say that he was the best bargain of any transfer in the last 10 years.  I hope only the best for him, as I do for all of our new and current players. 

However, I just don't have high expectations for him.... the few times I have seen Rennes play, I haven't even noticed him.  I want us to go after someone more exciting, like Hazard.... every time I watch Lille play I always notice how incredible he is :)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,903 posts | 6829 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #56: Dec 30, 2010 08:47:14 pm
      Poor fella had to watch that sh*t yesterday, after watching that he might not want to come to us!
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #57: Dec 30, 2010 09:24:11 pm
      Poor fella had to watch that sh*t yesterday, after watching that he might not want to come to us!

Honestly wouldn't blame him.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #58: Dec 30, 2010 09:35:05 pm
      show him that game, when we played good attractive attacking football... you know that game, Roy Hodgson was the manager. No wait, that hasn't happened.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #59: Dec 31, 2010 09:51:01 am
      just heard that this deal has broken down.....dont know if itd realiable.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #60: Dec 31, 2010 09:57:45 am
      I actually don't know who this is.  :-\
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #61: Dec 31, 2010 10:10:31 am
      just heard that this deal has broken down.....dont know if itd realiable.

I heard that too, because he was 'severely disgusted' by LFC performance.

If this nobody doesn't want to join us, what chance have we of signing someone like Aguero?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #62: Dec 31, 2010 10:46:46 am
      I heard that too, because he was 'severely disgusted' by LFC performance.

If this nobody doesn't want to join us, what chance have we of signing someone like Aguero?

Nice one Roy. Turning 1.5mil bargain players off from us. What the F**k chance do we have at anyone decent?!

:mad:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #63: Dec 31, 2010 11:04:37 am
      That was my first thought when I heard he was in the crowd, why would he want to join us now? Won't be at all shocked if he's pulled out.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #64: Dec 31, 2010 11:06:03 am
      Well we'll see by the end of January. We're in for that young lad at Southampton i've heard just recently.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #65: Dec 31, 2010 02:07:11 pm
      Well at least if the Marveaux deal does collapse after he watched us play, it would surely ram the message home to UKSV that they can forget about any decent signings until they ship Roy out.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,672 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #66: Jan 01, 2011 05:47:58 pm
      Liverpool have all but concluded the signing of Rennes midfielder Sylvain Marveaux, with the player a guest in the directors' box for last night's 0-1 defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The Frenchman is capable of playing both on the left wing and at full back, but generally turns out in the former position - from where he scored ten goals in Ligue 1 last season.

Liverpool have longed for an outlet on the left hand side of their midfield for a very long time, and Marveaux's pace and ball control will be valuable assets for the Reds.

With his contract with Rennes ending in summer 2011, Liverpool have secured his signature for just £1.5m, but cannot expect immediate results.

Marveaux is currently out of action with a groin complaint that has troubled him intermittently recently, and Roy Hodgson will hope Liverpool's revamped medical team can manage it effectively.

Cheap because he is out of contract at the end of the season.

Injured at the moment though, which again probably has an impact in the price.

Hope he clears up soon. Don't fancy another long term injured signing
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #67: Jan 02, 2011 12:28:57 pm
      He's not coming till the end of the season apprently.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #68: Jan 02, 2011 12:32:59 pm
      Sounds promising,hope he is the answer to our left side.Welcome Sylvain if this is indeed true!

Quick Reply