Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Unexplainable

Read 4418 times
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Re: Unexplainable
      Reply #23: Dec 02, 2010 06:20:44 pm
      ........ and he only has Plan A.

You're over estimating him!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #24: Dec 03, 2010 12:07:46 am
      I remember Slur Alex saying after our 2nd place season – before we even kicked a ball in the 09-10 season - “sometimes teams just peak, and you take them as far as they can go”

I hate to say it but I believe it.

That squad peaked.  We should have won the league, we all know what results cost us.  The off the field matters of course didn’t help.

With the 09-10 season, I think a lot of it was nerves. 

Scared of emulating what they achieved the previous season.  Players not stepping up, wrong tactics, poor transfers.  I genuinely believe the Aqua deal was a gem.  But we just couldn’t afford the waiting around for him to get fit, we needed a player there and then.  We lost Alonso and Lucas wasn’t ready for it at the time.  And that pretty much summed our season up.

Last season… Like this season – and too many league seasons in the 90’s and early 00’s, we have followed a pattern. 

Teams slip up, we fail to capitalise.  Frustration isn’t the word.

When we played spurs at 1 nil the game was ours for the taking. 

This is what’s so annoying.  It wasn’t like we could gain points on Tottenham, was could of taken their place.  That’s what football is all about.  For me it’s the excitement of it, we beat you, do one, that’s OUR position.  Not settle for a point and be no better off that you were 90 minutes previous.

All we are left with is what ifs

What if Rafa stayed, could he of made up for his bad 7th place season?
      What if NESV came in before Hodgson was signed?
      What if Aqua wasn’t loaned out?

AF was saying that as a taunt but ultimately he was true.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #25: Dec 03, 2010 02:49:33 am
      I think its no coincidence that our football and style of play has been sh*te since the day we lost Xabi Alonso.
      I dont want to go on about him but in 09/10 our midfield had no creativity with Mascherano and Lucas. Rafa had hoped that with the signing of Aqualani, we would not miss Alonso too much but he was always injured and we just struggled.
      We played Gerrard too high up the field and we needed to bring him back into the midfield and his season suffered because Alonso wasnt there to sweep him nice passes.

This season I just think Roy is a lot to do with it. We have played decent football at home at times but he is very negative and he has to go.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #26: Dec 03, 2010 03:37:34 pm
      Thanks everyone for all good posts above, what all you say I agree, it's true, and as Liverpool fans who love this club I think all of us are in the same feeling, sad and pain of what happened to the club we love.
      Now I'm a bit drunk, sorry :) but can you all believe me one thing ?

'All mistakes it's because we have wrong (and unfortunately they are BAD) owner in H&G'
                                                        ' That's all ! '

Sorry, it's true, not i's rue :)

Sorry again for my poor English.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #27: Dec 03, 2010 04:02:46 pm
      I remember Slur Alex saying after our 2nd place season – before we even kicked a ball in the 09-10 season - “sometimes teams just peak, and you take them as far as they can go”

I hate to say it but I believe it.

That squad peaked.  We should have won the league, we all know what results cost us.  The off the field matters of course didn’t help.

With the 09-10 season, I think a lot of it was nerves. 

Scared of emulating what they achieved the previous season.  Players not stepping up, wrong tactics, poor transfers.  I genuinely believe the Aqua deal was a gem.  But we just couldn’t afford the waiting around for him to get fit, we needed a player there and then.  We lost Alonso and Lucas wasn’t ready for it at the time.  And that pretty much summed our season up.

Last season… Like this season – and too many league seasons in the 90’s and early 00’s, we have followed a pattern. 

Teams slip up, we fail to capitalise.  Frustration isn’t the word.

When we played spurs at 1 nil the game was ours for the taking. 

This is what’s so annoying.  It wasn’t like we could gain points on Tottenham, was could of taken their place.  That’s what football is all about.  For me it’s the excitement of it, we beat you, do one, that’s OUR position.  Not settle for a point and be no better off that you were 90 minutes previous.

All we are left with is what ifs

What if Rafa stayed, could he of made up for his bad 7th place season?
      What if NESV came in before Hodgson was signed?
      What if Aqua wasn’t loaned out?

Sorry it's not me against your opinion mate but you cannot believe SAFuckerson too much.
      He just know "really" that Xabi left us for sure at end of 2008/2009 season and he well know our owner (H&G of course) never invest necessary money for Rafa to strengthen our squad so what he say is not really surprise. Or, anybody know, is it not possibly he (Alex Fuckerson) let C. Ronaldo go to Madrid with some clause like "you (Madrid) must help me destroy Liverpool by take Xabi Alonso from Liverpool", ?. :) And as the same time I remember he said Arsenal is most possibly the team to drop out of top 4 but he's wrong, so he's just a man with good luck to have 20 years to build his team and with their better owner (to us) that give them some success.

Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #28: Dec 03, 2010 04:14:39 pm
      For me the problem started when we sold Robbie Keane back to Spurs and wasn't given the funds for a new striker, it meant having to use Ngog/Babel/Kuyt when Torres was injured. In the end you'd probably say it cost us the league that season and it's been a downward spiral ever since.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #29: Dec 03, 2010 04:23:06 pm
      For me the problem started when we sold Robbie Keane back to Spurs and wasn't given the funds for a new striker, it meant having to use Ngog/Babel/Kuyt when Torres was injured. In the end you'd probably say it cost us the league that season and it's been a downward spiral ever since.

But Keane had done F**k-all in a red shirt before that to be a first team place and anyway we still played a lot better in the second halgf of the season after Keane had fu**ed off.

Losing Alonso was a far bigger loss, THE actual brain of the team.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #30: Dec 04, 2010 02:37:58 am
      But Keane had done f**k-all in a red shirt before that to be a first team place and anyway we still played a lot better in the second halgf of the season after Keane had fu**ed off.

Losing Alonso was a far bigger loss, THE actual brain of the team.

Yeah he was pretty awful, but my point was Rafa wasn't given any money to buy a new striker after Keane left when he was told he would have, which meant when Torres was injured we had to use the likes of Ngog and Kuyt. I'm certain if Rafa was given the money to buy another forward we would have won the league that year and I also reckon Arbeloa and Alonso would have stayed.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #31: Dec 06, 2010 01:24:49 am
      Okay, fair enough some suggested that the squad peak in 2008-2009 but in Rafa's time prior to that, we were still not that bad. We were consistently fighting for the top three (at least) and we actually reached the Champions League and League Cup Finals in 2004/2005, The FA Cup Final in 2005/2006 and another Champions League Final in 2006/2007. A top four finish and a Champions League semi-final in 2007/2008 isn't too bad as well and then came our 2nd place and a Champions League last 8.

Not sure whether it's coincidental that after we lost Xabi Alonso, things started to go downhill but we still had some good times last season ( Europa League last 4 and some decent performances in the league).

Quick Reply