Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Do we have enough cover for Carra and Agger?

Read 2008 times
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh
      • Started Topic

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Do we have enough cover for Carra and Agger?
      Jul 18, 2007 06:58:27 pm
      It's nice to see quality players arriving at the club i.e Torres, Babel and co. But it strikes me that we don't have enough, and the right type, of cover in the middle of the defence!
      If (god forbid) anything happened to Agger, Sami will slot right in easily. This is because they are quite similar players. They read the game well so don't need to fly into tackles as they always seem to be in the right place. And they are both very comfortable with the ball at their feet.
      Now if (again god forbid) anything happened to Carra I don't think this would be the same case, as Agger and Sami are to similar!
      I think a defensive partnership works well when you have a more cultured player who reads the game well and a heart on your sleeve type, who throws himself in front of the ball and never gives up, alla Sami and Henhoz, then Sami and Carra, and now Agger and Carra.

I don't think Paletta is a Carra type (at the moment I'm not sure what type he is) and I don't know alot about Jack Hobbs or Miki Roque either to comment!

Am I just being paranoid, or does anyone else see this as a problem?

Your thoughts?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Do we have enough cover for Carra and Agger?
      Reply #1: Jul 19, 2007 12:52:24 pm
      Good topic, moved to The Kop.

Do we have enough cover for Carragher & Agger? Short answer, no. If something happens to one of them we are suddenly stuck with only two central defenders with any real first team experience. Rafa recognises this & has been looking at central defenders this summer, most notably Gabriel Milito.

You're right about Hyypia & Agger being more cultured players compared to Carragher, and the need for us to get someone passionate in. I also feel we need someone with good aerial ability with Hyypia sure to be on his way next summer, and if we can get him I would pull out all the stops to get Gabriel Heinze. He's a tough tackler without being reckless & picking up too many cards, and he's also very good in the air. More importantly he gives us a different option at left back, where both Riise & Aurelio are very attack minded fullbacks.

With regards to the youngsters, Paletta is the player out of the three mentioned that is most similar to Carra. When I watch him play for the reserves he is like an animal & actually makes Carra look quite tame sometimes! However he has an alarming lack of pace & every time he's tried to make the step up he's failed miserably. Roque is much more technical, and can also play at right back. Hobbs is a bit of both, a technical player who can play defensive midfield but is also very strong in the tackle. Out of the three I'd say Hobbs is most likely to make the step up when Hyypia leaves, but like Paletta on the odd occassions he's had the chance he's failed to shine in the first team.
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh
      • Started Topic

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #2: Jul 19, 2007 07:14:11 pm
      I hear what you say about Heinze, but for me, I'm not so comfortable about a Scumbag reject playing for us! I wasn't to impressed when Ince came and think I would probable feal the same about Heinze.
      Anyway do really think that he is in the same class as Carra?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: Jul 19, 2007 07:45:51 pm
      If we have no injuries - then we have enough cover - is the easiest answer!

Danny Agger was a great purchase.  He will become one of Europe's best centre backs of that I am convinced.  I think Rafa has been actively seeking another centre back because this is probably going to be the last season at Liverpool for Sami.

We have a number of players in the youth system - a number of players who have moved in to the first team squad and I think this is a great opportunity for all the youngster to learn from three brilliant, but all very unique, centre backs at Liverpool.

I hope one of these youngsters comes good while learning from the best.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Jul 19, 2007 09:09:46 pm
      We do lack cover in defence i can see Rafa buying another central defender although Sami is still there hes losing his pace but hes been brilliant and wouldnt let us down if called upon.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #5: Jul 20, 2007 12:33:10 am
      What do you lot think of Sossoko playing cover for Carragher!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #6: Jul 20, 2007 01:38:53 am
      What do you lot think of Sossoko playing cover for Carragher!

What do you think?

Quick answer: Great tackler, needs to improve on the passing, as a midfielder I might add.
      Carney
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      • Scouse Red and Proud
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2007 02:11:56 am
      You are right to have some worry mate, I don't think Paletta has exactly looked the part in his matches but then again it took Agger 4/5 games to get into the swing of things. I am pritty sure Arbeloa can play central defence and he is a good player in my opinion, but to be fair we do need to bring someone else in there, yet at the same time I wouldn't want Agger or Carra out the starting team, so it is a difficult one, Hyypia is fine for this season, then after that I'm not so sure...
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #8: Jul 20, 2007 10:23:45 am
      Arbeloa could do a job there, but nothing more. He makes a much better fullback than centreback, he's better technically but not a world class tackler & isn't great in the air. We could still really do with back up, one long term injury to carra & what are our options for the season?
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #9: Jul 20, 2007 06:32:55 pm
      Sissoko would give to many pens away if he was playing regular at centre back but for a 1 off game i suppose it wouldnt be to bad.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 21, 2007 12:40:57 pm
      In a word no I h8 2 say it but hyypias lack of pace (even more than last season) will make the scums laugh if carra or agger get injured and hyypia has 2 ply and paletta is nowhere near ready. if we r guna win the league I think we need two gud centrebacks bought but not as gud as carra and agger as the back 4 cud become unsettled
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #11: Jul 21, 2007 01:55:17 pm
      Well, if we sign one of Chiellini/Heinze, I think we’ll have enough cover.
      Riise Agger Carragher Finnan
        Chiellini  Hyppia   Arbeloa

Meaning; Chiellini/Heinze can both play LB and CB, Hyppia is the main CB, and Arbeloa can play CB or RB.
      A 7 man rotation in the defence seems reasonably strong….especially with some decent showings in the reserve grade.
      Speaking of; I’ve heard Paletta is going on loan this season. True?

Quick Reply