Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Connor Wickham (Ipswich Town)

Read 52458 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Connor Wickham (Ipswich Town)
      Reply #23: Dec 09, 2010 01:00:46 pm
      Roy Keane said he could be the new Wayne Rooney.

Not that I care about Keane's opinion, just saying...
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #24: Dec 09, 2010 01:16:16 pm
      Roy Keane said he could be the new Wayne Rooney.

Not that I care about Keane's opinion, just saying...

Roy Keane is right he could be the new Wayne Rooney.  He could also be the next Cherno Samba though.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #25: Dec 09, 2010 09:20:04 pm
      England wonder starlet won't come cheap, Liverpool FC warned
      Roy Keane has told Liverpool and Arsenal that they will not be allowed to snap up Ipswich Town wonderkid Connor Wickham on the cheap.

Since making his senior debut last year the young striker has been catapulted into the spotlight at Portman Road whilst attracting rave reviews on the international stage after he scored the winning goal for England in the European Under-17 Championship final.

Tractor Boys boss Keane previously said he would be 'lynched' if he allowed the starlet, billed as the next Wayne Rooney, to leave East Anglia.

He has now warned the Reds and potential suitors that they will have to match his valuation of the 17-year-old in the same way his old club Manchester United were forced to splash the cash for Rooney when he was signed from Everton for £25.6 million back in 2004.

"There aren't many Connor Wickhams around," said Keane.

"I have a certain figure in my head that we'd have to consider. I think Connor and his agent would have that as well.

"You've got to be careful not to get blasé about Connor and say 'we'll take £7m or £8m for him'."

He added: "The big teams wouldn't be buying him for what he's doing now. They're going to buy him for what he can do in four or five years' time.

"Whether that's Tottenham Hotspur or Liverpool or whoever, but Manchester United had to buy Wayne Rooney for £28m when he was 18. Can Connor be as good as him? I think he has the potential."

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1211779-england-wonder-starlet-wont-come-heap,-liverpool-fc-warned.html
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Connor Wickham (Ipswich Town)
      Reply #26: Feb 20, 2011 01:30:43 pm
      I've been reading a lot about this kid, mainly because he plays with a few of our U18's for England.

We seem to be very interested in him with Kenny going to watch him recently and Comolli watching him again yesterday. 

He's doing ok for himself in the Championship, scored again yesterday after his hat trick midweek.

I'd like to see him at Anfield, we can't have too many strikers, but also because I don't want any of our competitors getting him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #27: Feb 20, 2011 01:33:15 pm
      I have two Ipswich Town fans in my team in the work and they both travel up from London and watch 1st hand and they rave about this kid.

Really powerful with good touch and scores all different types of goals
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #28: Feb 20, 2011 01:36:05 pm
      Yeah he's attracting a lot of interest from most of the big PL teams.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #29: Feb 21, 2011 02:08:41 pm
      Doesn't matter. If they are brought up in England for 3 years between 15 and 21 then they count as home grown.

Was about to say this in regard to the English debate. Looks like both Wickham and Lukaku will have a number of suitors after them this summer. I know who'd I prefer myself, and that's Lukaku. I think he's still only 17 so depending on when he turns 18 if we do buy him this summer three years later he'll be classed as a homegrown talent, which is very useful.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #30: Feb 21, 2011 09:58:58 pm
      Why are we spending 10 mill on him when we have Kuyt , Carroll , Suarez & Ngog.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #31: Feb 21, 2011 10:05:43 pm
      Why are we spending 10 mill on him when we have Kuyt , Carroll , Suarez & Ngog.
      Kuyt is getting old and losing pace he already didn't have, Ngog needs to hit the gym and bulk up, Carroll needs a back up, Suarez needs someone to play alongside to unlock his full potential.

Also injuries, rest, cup games etc. We have a very thin strike force.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #32: Feb 21, 2011 11:24:57 pm
      It just seems like to much money for the wrong player.

Your signing a back up striker for 10 mill who needs to play games to further grow and develop.

I agree that we have a thin strikeforce but i think we need a different type of player. I see Wickham being good at a upper tier PL club like Spurs......;D.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #33: Feb 21, 2011 11:25:55 pm
      Another one of those 'luxury' signings. If we strengthen the other areas we need THEN buy him, I'd be fine with it. Really rate him and think he's going to become a very good striker in the near future.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #34: Apr 01, 2011 05:29:00 pm
      Jewell: We'd consider 'silly money' for starlet Wickham
      Ipswich boss Paul Jewell has admitted that Connor Wickham could be sold if 'silly money' is offered by suitors Liverpool or Tottenham.

The 18-year-old forward is already generating plenty of Premier League interest, with the Reds and Spurs believed to be heading the queue.

Summer bids are expected, and Ipswich are bracing themselves for big-money approaches.

Jewell insists they are under no pressure to sell, with it important that the best decision is made for the club and Wickham.

He is, however, aware that offloading his prize asset would help to bolster his own transfer kitty.

"I'm hopeful he will stay but, let's be honest, we are all at the mercy of the big clubs," said Jewell.

"If Liverpool or Spurs come in with money that is going to help us plough back into the team - silly money if you like - we have to listen to it.

"But if he does go he will not be going on the cheap and we are certainly not actively looking to sell him."

Wickham, Ipswich's youngest-ever debutant, has broken into the England Under-21 set-up this season and Jewell believes his development may be better served with another 12 months in the Championship.

He added: "Personally, I think it would be best for him to stay here for another year, hopefully get us some goals and into the Premier League.

"But it is going to be difficult for any club at this level to turn down a big offer from one of the top teams.

"If it is one of the smaller Premier League clubs I don't think Connor would want to go."
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2011 05:34:11 pm by soxfan »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Apr 01, 2011 05:42:19 pm
      Wouldn't pay more than £5 million for him, he has been very hit and miss this season
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #36: Apr 01, 2011 05:49:44 pm
      Have you watched every game?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #37: Apr 01, 2011 06:01:46 pm
      No but I see he has only 5 league goals this season and I've also been around long enough to have seen many an overhyped young English player.

He is big and strong but there is a lot better 18 year olds world wide going for a lot less than the supposed £15 million Ipswich want
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #38: Apr 01, 2011 06:09:49 pm
      His game is not just about goals though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Apr 01, 2011 06:13:11 pm
      He not worth the money being quoted whatever type of striker you seem to think he is goal scoring record is not impressive.

Looking at him I just think he is another one of these players that has peaked earlier.  Don't want the club to sign him.

Just checked I was wrong he has 6 goals, he also has 1 assist so he is not really a creator either than
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #40: Apr 01, 2011 06:39:52 pm
      I rate him and would like to see him here, don't think he's an out and out striker.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #41: Apr 01, 2011 06:45:23 pm
      For what money, I personally think the lad is over rated and wouldnt like the club to waste money on him. It is a game of opinions though
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Apr 02, 2011 12:29:41 am
      Would be £6-7m more than what he is actually worth. If he isn't scoring freely in the Championship then what does it say about his chances of scoring goals in the Premiership? People say £35m is a lot for Carroll but at least he had tasted life in the Premiership and has a decent scoring record to go with it. I would rather spend £25m on Lukaku than £10-15m on Wickham. Both the same age, says it all to be honest.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #43: Apr 02, 2011 09:10:56 am
      Would only have him instead of Ngog and for the same price. He's a Liverpool fan though.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #44: Apr 02, 2011 09:33:38 am
      For what money, I personally think the lad is over rated and wouldnt like the club to waste money on him. It is a game of opinions though
      Around I'd go to £6m.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #45: Apr 10, 2011 02:32:23 pm
      Dalglish bid to Kop Connor Wickham
      Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is ready to win the race for Ipswich hot-shot Connor Wickham – and beat old pal Harry Redknapp to his signature.

Wickham has just signed a new deal at Portman Road, but that will not stop a transfer going through if Liverpool come up with the asking price of around £10million.

The Kop chief has been on Wickham’s trail for months, watching him for club and country. He sees Wickam as the perfect capture to give him a young striker behind Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez.

Spurs supremo Redknapp is after Wickham too – as People Sport first revealed – but Dalglish’s entry to the race will turn the head of the teenage terror.

Improve

Dalglish wants to sign a handful of players when he gets the go-ahead and is officially named long-term boss at the Kop. He would like to improve his squad and bring in younger players.

The Liverpool boss is also chasing Wigan’s James McCarthy and Dalglish hopes to get the cash backing to buy Wickham in the next transfer window.

Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid are lining up a move for Liverpool’s Milan Jovanovic.

The Serbian midfielder has found it difficult to make an impact at Anfield and is set for talks over his future this summer.

Atletico are confident they stand a good chance of landing him, if Liverpool sell, as the two clubs have a good relationship from previous transfer deals.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/04/10/dalglish-bid-to-kop-connor-wickham-102039-23049182/

Quick Reply