Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Gerrard on the wing?

Read 3940 times
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Re: Gerrard on the wing?
      Reply #23: Dec 07, 2010 11:21:56 am
      I think Gerrard + a central Mereiles (with Lucas on the bench) hasn't been tested yet and may be good against weak/average teams playing defensive, when we need 2 strikers up front more than a defensive midfielder.

Against stronger teams, a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard in the hole will probably be prefered.

I would have nothing against him playing on the wing, but I doubt it will happen because I don't see Roy (or most potential managers) having the guts to say to Stevie that Raul and Lucas are better than him in CM.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #24: Dec 07, 2010 11:35:46 am
      Dont think he would go for the supersub role Shabs but the question should be does the team look stronger with him on the right and I would say yes it does.He plays on the left for England so why wouldn't he play on the right for us Rafa made him and he scored a lot of goals from there.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #25: Dec 07, 2010 11:35:50 am
      I hope we don't have a repeat of the Redknapp/Thomas problem under Evans, Lucas and RM should stay in CM so stevie should play off Nando or play on the right in order to keep the balance of the team. I just hope Roy is brave enough to make the right choice and not push Raul out wide.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #26: Dec 07, 2010 11:41:26 am
      Its so obvious that some players are a bit awe struck playing alongside him and playing him on the right can only make the team stronger certainly Torres might get quicker service than from Dirk and he could then go back to playing up front either as second striker or on the bench.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #27: Dec 07, 2010 11:57:23 am
      Dont think he would go for the supersub role Shabs but the question should be does the team look stronger with him on the right and I would say yes it does.He plays on the left for England so why wouldn't he play on the right for us Rafa made him and he scored a lot of goals from there.

Stick him on the right wing with glen behind would give the opposition plenty food for thought.

I posted somewhere at the start of the season that stevie should go back on the wing where he can swing in a decent ball and also cut in,but that was if aquilani was still with us and mascherano.

Stevie's most productive years for goals were behind the striker and on the wing and that was all down to rafa knowing how to get the best out of stevie.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #28: Dec 07, 2010 02:23:52 pm
      I have to agree with Monobrow.  I think our best side would be to revert to a 4-2-3-1 against Newcastle.  Kuyt, Babel, and Ngog dropped to the bench (Ngog and Babel looked good against Villa, but they have not proven they deserve regular starting spots in my opinion, and Kuyt has been rubbish for most of the season).  The Gerrard/Torres partnership works, it just didn't work at the beginning of the season because Roy had Lucas/Poulsen in the middle and Meireles on the right, which forced Stevie to drop deeper in search of the ball.  Also, Torres was still coming back from a dreadful run of injuries, and was out of form/fitness.  Here is what I would play:

Reina
      Johno    Skrtel   Sotis   Konch
                   Raul   Lucas
      Maxi          Gerrard           Fabio
                      Torres
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #29: Dec 07, 2010 02:31:59 pm
      Gerrard played right in 2005/2006 but we have to remember he was 25 then. And he doesn't look like he's able to run down the wing for 90 minutes week in, week out. However, give it a shot and see how it goes.

I don't want the Lucas-Meireles pairing broken up when he returns so this leaves Gerrard on the right, in the hole or on the bench.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #30: Dec 07, 2010 04:57:38 pm
      The thing is though Adryan is that we haven't played with pacey wingers for a while. Under Rafa our fastest winger was arguably Riera and Pennant and even then Riera wasn't really that fast and Pennant didn't play much and was a dick. I assume Roy will go with two of Dirk, Raul Meireles, Maxi and Joe Cole on the wing and to me Gerrard is probably quicker than all of them and of course he is a miles better crosser than them four. If they can play on the wing week in, week out then Gerrard can too.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #31: Dec 07, 2010 05:32:22 pm
      It can happen and considering Lucas and Raul have been so good together,it gives even more weight to the argument but Roy doesn't seem like the kinda guy who can make such a big decision and more so when it concerns a player as big as Gerrard.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #32: Dec 07, 2010 08:23:41 pm
      If it was between Gerrard and Meireles to play at CM I'd give it to Meireles and let Gerrard on the wing. This sounds a very good idea at the moment.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #33: Dec 07, 2010 11:21:52 pm
      Would love to see Gerrard play on the wing, cutting in and roaming all over the shop.  And to see the media reaction to that.  Rafa was often slated for it (looking at you Redknapp jnr!!) besides him scoring 23 one season from that position.  I bet no one would say anything.

Can't see it happening though.  I'm guessing Gerrard will be first on the teamsheet, where he wants to play.  I personally think it's ludicrous playing Meireles out wide.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #34: Dec 10, 2010 09:27:50 pm
      Roy Evans on the TV, also noting how the absence of Gerrard seems to have improved the 'team'.

Says the players often get 'infatuated with trying to pass the ball to him'.

Good point that.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #35: Dec 10, 2010 09:44:50 pm
      Roy Evans on the TV, also noting how the absence of Gerrard seems to have improved the 'team'.

Says the players often get 'infatuated with trying to pass the ball to him'.

Good point that.
      Just perhaps mind the other players have raised their game knowing they havn,t got Stevie to drag them out of the sh*t every game ,just a thought.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #36: Dec 10, 2010 10:23:03 pm
      Never! he already failed doing that in the World Cup!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Dec 10, 2010 10:32:13 pm
      He was the only good player do England in the World Cup. Certainly one of the only ones that came away with any credibility
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #38: Dec 11, 2010 03:29:09 am
      I think Gerrard's favourite position is behind Torres, and it doesn't effect combination Raul & Lucas.

red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #39: Dec 11, 2010 06:19:31 am
      Yeah behind Torres is one place Gerrard has excelled at but I believe Roy likes to go with two strikers and since it has served us well,let's try out Gerrard on the wing.After all he has played there before and did very good too.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Dec 11, 2010 09:04:55 am
      Where?

I dont think so.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Dec 11, 2010 09:06:16 am
      If we are staying 4-4-2 I would happily have Gerrard on the right. Kuyt needs some time on the bench. Keep Ngog or Babel upfront alongside Torres
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #42: Dec 11, 2010 09:11:48 am
      I would be happy enough to try it and if it's to the benefit of the team - stick with it. If truth be know, tho', I can't see our 'benevolent dictator' going against Stevie's wishes if he were to say 'No'.

It's all down to Gerrard, I guess.

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #43: Dec 11, 2010 01:09:18 pm
      In how many matches a pairing of Gerrard + a central Mereiles has been tested ?

I have nothing against Lucas, but I find strange to see everyone so sure of the superiority of Lucas + Mereiles in central midfield over Mereiles + Gerrard.

The only thing we may be sure of is (Lucas + central Mereiles + anyone as RW) > (Lucas + Gerrard + Mereiles RW).
      benYNWAhopkins
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #44: Dec 11, 2010 01:32:49 pm
      4-3-3    Why not play Gerrard, Lucas and Meireles then the wide lads with Torres down the middle. This way when were defending it can change into a 4-5-1 formation but for me i think Gerrard hates playing on the wing
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #45: Dec 11, 2010 03:41:56 pm
      Leave Lucas and Raul were they are and put Gerrard behind Torres.

Quick Reply