Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Gerrard - Not Guilty!

Read 11504 times
      Cardy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Re: Gerrard - Not Guilty!
      Reply #92: Jul 26, 2009 12:43:12 pm
      Had a few drinks with a few of our bitter neighbours last nite and it was interesting to hear the fair minded blues take on the Gerrard not guilty verdict , it went from being a travesty of justice to the RT Honourable Justice Globe being a Kop season ticket holder . One comment that was made was that the only reason he got off with it was because of who he is , don't they realise that it only went to court because of who he is , I wonder if it was Cahill would they have the same opinion somehow iI don't think so .
      MsGerrard
      Reply #93: Jul 26, 2009 12:45:29 pm
      ^^^ That's a typical bitter take on things that is  :action-smiley-055:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #94: Jul 26, 2009 01:03:47 pm
      Had a few drinks with a few of our bitter neighbours last nite and it was interesting to hear the fair minded blues take on the Gerrard not guilty verdict , it went from being a travesty of justice to the RT Honourable Justice Globe being a Kop season ticket holder . One comment that was made was that the only reason he got off with it was because of who he is , don't they realise that it only went to court because of who he is , I wonder if it was Cahill would they have the same opinion somehow iI don't think so .

What did they have to say about their legend Duncan Ferguson, someone who was actually sent to jail?
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #95: Jul 26, 2009 01:06:56 pm
      Never a chance of gettin a guilty in Liverpool Crown, remember he's one of our own.
      Would have been a whole different kettle of fish if this farce had have been acted out in Manchester Crown Court.
      I was in Liverpool Friday morning and two bitter's both on separate occasion said he was as guilty as f**k and both of them said he should go down.
      They were not joking either, dirty horrible tw*ts.
      Anyway Stevie you briefed excellent counsel to representing you, a match for Turner any day (I'm lead to believe from somebody there throughout)
      Well done son, onwards and upwards now.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #96: Jul 28, 2009 12:04:47 am
      I'm delighted that Stevie got the verdict but I think those of you that are crowing about his innocence and how he's "not the type of guy" etc. etc. should actually stop and understand what happened. Stevie admitted pulling the guy's sweater over his head and trying to land 3 punches so he was actually GUILTY of assault but for some reason he was charged with AFFRAY. I don't really understand exactly why but I guess all's well that ends well but it could have gone the other way.

The court has taken into account Stevie's claim that it was a misunderstanding but make no mistake about it...on a different day with a different jury he could have just as easily been sent down. He is very lucky.

Hopefully he will wise up and not put himself in these kind of situations in future.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #97: Jul 28, 2009 01:18:33 am
      STEVEN GERRARD GERRARD ;D Never Doubted The Verdict For A Second.
      jojopopo23
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #98: Jul 28, 2009 02:24:54 am
      Good stuff Steve.

I was so happy to see this on Soccernet yesterday!
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2009 02:10:01 pm by Bpatel »
      redmanic
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #99: Jul 29, 2009 02:48:11 pm
      New Stevie G Song! By Me!

Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
      He went to a Southpout Bar,
      He punched a pr**k Fcuking Hard
      Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #100: Jul 29, 2009 02:51:56 pm
      It seems even the prosecuting barrister admits the case was a load of bollocks and shouldn't have gone to court.

The barrister who led the prosecution case against Gerrard yesterday said the jury had made the right decision.

David Turner QC said: "I do not believe and nor did the trial judge this was a sympathy verdict against the evidence.

"In reality, once it was shown someone else had started the fight and Gerrard's reaction was almost instantaneous, and although forceful was not brutal, he had a strong case in self-defence."

Mr Turner said the jury had: "listened carefully, they made notes, were obviously highly concerned and made a decision no one can criticise."

So the case against Gerrard was bollocks according to:

- the jury of 12 men and women
      - the judge
      - Gerrard
      - Gerrard's barrister
      - Gerrard's solicitor
      - Marcus McGee's barrister

Must have been fixed then.  :f_whistle:

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #101: Jul 29, 2009 03:23:13 pm
      I wonder if the commital proceedings had been somewhere other than Southport would it have made any difference? The open hostility the authorities have there to all things Liverpool is no secret, needless to say I'm not suggesting somewhere like Mankchester but a more neutral location could have saved the taxpayer thousands of pounds.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #102: Jul 29, 2009 04:02:12 pm
      Gerrard charge 'wrongly brought'
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8174142.stm

The case against Steven Gerrard, who admitted punching a man in a Merseyside bar, should never have been brought to court, his solicitor has claimed.

The Liverpool captain was cleared of affray at Liverpool Crown Court last week. Six other men admitted charges.
      He said he was acting in self-defence when he struck Marcus McGee, 34, at the Lounge Inn, Southport, last year.

Solicitor Richard Green said he should not have been charged. Prosecutors said there was sufficient evidence.

Mr Gerrard had been drinking with friends in the early hours of 29 December to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 win over Newcastle United.
      The 29-year-old England midfielder, from Formby, was arrested a short time later that evening and charged two days later.

"I don't believe he ought to have been charged and I certainly don't believe he ought to have been charged on the day he was," Mr Green told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"Because it was absolutely clear from all of the evidence and certainly what we had been told in the police station at the time, that when he was charged the police had not seen the closed circuit television, and indeed they only had very few statements from some people who were actually there at the time.

"So there was an incomplete picture of what had actually taken place," Mr Green added.
      A spokeswoman for Merseyside Police said that the charging decision rested with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
      Sufficient evidence A CPS spokesperson said: "The case against Mr Gerrard and the six others charged with him was kept under continuing review by the CPS, as are all cases.
      "The CPS was satisfied that there was sufficient evidence to put before the jury.
      "The case ran its course and at no stage did the defence suggest that there was no case for Mr Gerrard to answer."
      CCTV captured Mr Gerrard punching Mr McGee after the businessman was elbowed in the face by the footballer's friend, John Doran.

During the trial he told the court he "firmly believed" he was about to be punched, and swung out in self-defence.
      Mr Green said the media had gone "overboard" reporting the CCTV evidence, which led some people to express surprise at the result.
      "People thought it was just a jury verdict based on who my client actually is," said Mr Green.
      "Whereas if you'd actually heard all of the evidence in court - even the Crown's QC [David Turner, speaking to a local newspaper] said it was the right verdict that the jury reached."

Six friends of Mr Gerrard admitted charges connected with the brawl and will be sentenced on 7 August.

Seems to me some, of the Southport Rozzers were quick off the mark and trying to make a name for themselves, Dickheads!!

I wonder if the commital proceedings had been somewhere other than Southport would it have made any difference? The open hostility the authorities have there to all things Liverpool is no secret, needless to say I'm not suggesting somewhere like Mankchester but a more neutral location could have saved the taxpayer thousands of pounds.

I have a picture of the Gerrard Jury, maybe ths is why it only took one hour to come to a Not Guilty Virdict.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 04:42:33 pm by RedPuppy »
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #103: Jul 29, 2009 10:35:35 pm
      Nah RP, that was the public gallery ;)

Quick Reply